These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Motors/Gearing/Drivetrain
 Motors That Work / Replacement Motors v2.0
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

timmbo23
Journeyman Modder

104 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  19:46:37  Show Profile
I have my son's KFX running on 18v now for a few months without any problem. I have been told I am lucky.

You do have a good theory, I just wonder if the additional heat could be an issue for the PC board. With the new motors the wires certainly are a little warmer. Just a thought.

PW Ford F150 (2-Seat) - 18v / Dual HPI GT 550 Motors / LED Headlights
PW Kawasaki Ninja KFX - 18v / Dual HPI GT 550 Motors / LED Headlights
Go to Top of Page

jdm

18 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  04:31:50  Show Profile
timmbo,
yes, I was following what you were doing on this thread. I may have missed what model kfx you have. Is it the kfx monster traction (red) @ walmart? That is the one I have. I didn't know if the green kfx's that a lot of folks have here are more tolerant circuit board wise.
Can you compare the two motors I asked about? You seem to think the GT550's are really fast right?
Go to Top of Page

timmbo23
Journeyman Modder

104 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  06:29:32  Show Profile
I have the older Green KFX. I believe they are the same circuit on both of them, you can check the parts diagrams at www.hobbymasters.com . I even purchased new rear tires for my son's green KFX and the tires are the same model # as the original tires, but now are Monster Traction with an additional 1/2" of tread. The KFX I have is the B9272. Now look up your model and see if the circuit board number is the Sam, I bet it is.

The GT550's are fast, from what I understand they should be pretty much the same as the Titan's, but you do not have to worry about reverse rotation with the GT's.

Go to Top of Page

timmbo23
Journeyman Modder

104 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  07:02:50  Show Profile
Here is what I have yet to check.......I am going to have my son drive the F-150 with 12v on the GT550's to see how much faster they are compared to stock motors on 12v, maybe this will help you with your decision.

I may keep it this way for a bit, our son is 3, almost 4, but my wife thinks it is way too fast with the new motors in it.

Go to Top of Page

jdm

18 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  08:14:19  Show Profile
What a great help to me timmbo! Yes, let me know the speed performance differential. I will check out my board model and post it. I didn't know you could search for those type of PW parts @ hobbymasters. When I searched for motors/gearboxes it gave the ususal "find a certified PW service store". But I will look again to find the circuit board model#.
thanks a bunch!
Go to Top of Page

jdm

18 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  09:00:38  Show Profile
Green KFX(B9272): PC Board-Turbo Assembly 74287-9729

Red KFX(P9273): 74287-9729 PC BOARD

These are the exact part numbers listed @ hobbymasters. Looks like you're right timmbo! Same board.
Judging by the model numbers I'd just say mine is the newer model of the same version KFX.
I'll just wait to hear your motor/speed test findings.
Go to Top of Page

its4mykid

7 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  20:10:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Divinar

quote:
Originally posted by seano

You suggested 700 series motors. I noticed they are double the money but also didnt find any heatsinks or fans shown for them.
Does that mean they prob dont need them?

I meant the DCM-251 motors:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DCM-251/12-VDC-MOTOR/-/1.html

You'll have to do some work to cut off the extra threaded shaft and remove the bushing, and the pinions are more expensive than the motor.

It seems a little faster than the stock motor at 12v, but it's got a lot more torque. More than the $20 Titans, too!

And it should handle overvolting better!

Do you think The DMC-251 would stand up to 24 volts better that the 21 or 23 Titans? Using on a 12V McQueen, mostly smooth flat pavement.

Im, really waffling on the 18V or 24V decision, Any help or Ideas?!?! I have some RC experience and understand that comprising RPM for torque is necessary. I also plan on two cpu fans and heat sinks for both.

Help a brother out??

Edited by - its4mykid on 09/07/2010 20:46:50
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  20:17:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by its4mykid

quote:
Originally posted by Divinar

I meant the DCM-251 motors:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DCM-251/12-VDC-MOTOR/-/1.html

You'll have to do some work to cut off the extra threaded shaft and remove the bushing, and the pinions are more expensive than the motor.

It seems a little faster than the stock motor at 12v, but it's got a lot more torque. More than the $20 Titans, too!

And it should handle overvolting better!

Do you think The DMC-251 would stand up to 24 volts better that the 21 or 23 Titans? How do you attach the pinion with the threaded shaft?

Im, really waffling on the 18V or 24V decision, Any help or Ideas?!?! I have some RC experience and understand that comprising RPM for torque is necessary. I also plan on two cpu fans and heat sinks for both.

Help a brother out??

I ground a flat spot on the motor shaft, then lined up the setscrew for the pinion.

If you're using the stock wiring, 18v.
If you HAVE to have 24v, rewire it for a scooter controller (variable throttle)

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)

Edited by - Divinar on 09/07/2010 20:52:42
Go to Top of Page

its4mykid

7 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  21:14:19  Show Profile
I just noticed that I asked a question in a quote I re posted, :( (sorry for the brain damage) Thank you very much for the voltage answer, I knew better in the back of my head, But you know how it is?!?! Especially seeing everyone with a 24 volt PW has a scooter controller (should have made sense). So its settled, 12 Volt McQueen will become 18V (Triple 6 volts, for ease of charging) with titan 23s and dual fans and sinks. Probably will run a small separate 12V for the fans and ant other future mods may that require elec.

One last question and I will leave you alone until I post some pics, Do you think there is any benefit to doing a 12V and 6V instead of the aforementioned?
Thank you again Divinar,

Jeff

Edited by - its4mykid on 09/07/2010 21:15:36
Go to Top of Page

timmbo23
Journeyman Modder

104 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  19:43:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jdm

These are the exact part numbers listed @ hobbymasters. Looks like you're right timmbo! Same board.
Judging by the model numbers I'd just say mine is the newer model of the same version KFX.

Here are my thoughts.............I don't think that the GT550's with 12v is quite as fast as the stock motors on 18v. Let me rephrase that, they may be about the same speed, but I think there is more torque with the stock motors on 18v. With that being said, I am sooooooo impressed with the performance of our F-150 with 18v and the GT550's! My boys drove it till the batteries were almost dead tonight, that thing flies!

I know the KFX would really go crazy with the GT550's in it, when I was running both on 18v, I think the KFX went faster than the F-150. The F-150 is the same size as the Hurricane, and it is much heavier, so it does not surprise me at all. Also, the KFX has a different size pinion than the F-150.

Cool thing is, my son loves them both, (I have a 1 1/2 year old that sits with him in the F-150, I did add an actual custom seat belt for him due to obvious safety concerns) hopefully next year the boys will riding them both at the same time.

Also, the other piece of advice I can give to anyone that owns the green KFX like I have, GET THE NEW TIRES!!!!! The new tires have the same model number as the original, but the new ones are "Monster Traction", and they make a HUGE difference on grass. Cool thing is they still allow my son to whip some nice cheerios on the pavement, so you really get the best of both worlds. We had the stock wheels on it for a few weeks, and my son only wanted to drive it on the pavement because the wheels were spinning so much on the grass.

Hope the advice helps, if anyone has any questions at all, please ask away!!!

Go to Top of Page

its4mykid

7 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  20:04:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by timmbo23

quote:
Originally posted by jdm

Here are my thoughts.............I don't think that the GT550's with 12v is quite as fast as the stock motors on 18v. Let me rephrase that, they may be about the same speed, but I think there is more torque with the stock motors on 18v. With that being said, I am sooooooo impressed with the performance of our F-150 with 18v and the GT550's! My boys drove it till the batteries were almost dead tonight, that thing flies!

I know the KFX would really go crazy with the GT550's in it, when I was running both on 18v, I think the KFX went faster than the F-150. The F-150 is the same size as the Hurricane, and it is much heavier, so it does not surprise me at all. Also, the KFX has a different size pinion than the F-150.

Cool thing is, my son loves them both, (I have a 1 1/2 year old that sits with him in the F-150, I did add an actual custom seat belt for him due to obvious safety concerns) hopefully next year the boys will riding them both at the same time.

Also, the other piece of advice I can give to anyone that owns the green KFX like I have, GET THE NEW TIRES!!!!! The new tires have the same model number as the original, but the new ones are "Monster Traction", and they make a HUGE difference on grass. Cool thing is they still allow my son to whip some nice cheerios on the pavement, so you really get the best of both worlds. We had the stock wheels on it for a few weeks, and my son only wanted to drive it on the pavement because the wheels were spinning so much on the grass.

Hope the advice helps, if anyone has any questions at all, please ask away!!!

Has anyone compared the Hpi 550 and the Titan 21 turns?
How many turns is the Hpi 550?
Thnaks
Go to Top of Page

kstorm21@gmail.com

Fort Riley
KS
USA

47 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  23:23:28  Show Profile
Okay, I have a Dumar 660R Raptor and one of the motors isn't working. I've read it's a 700 motor but I'm not sure which one to get to match the other one I have. I can buy a whole "new" gearbox with motor for $20. Should I just do that or try to get a new motor. How can I find out if the gearbox is also messed up? I can't take it apart cause it's riveted together....I think.
Go to Top of Page

timmbo23
Journeyman Modder

104 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  12:20:25  Show Profile
From what I have heard, I think the HPI GT550's may be a little more powerful, but not much. You also do not have to worry about the "reverse rotation" with the HPI motors.

As far as the answer to your original question, yes, you could stay with 12v and go with the HPI motors, I tried that, it is faster, but you have the torque that you get when on 18v. We ran our KFX all summer on 18v without any problems, and in August I dropped in the HPI motors, that KFX is insane on pavement........my son has a blast doing burnouts and cheerios!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: