These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Project Barbie Jeep Makeover (Man up!!)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  14:21:32  Show Profile
Hey everyone new to the forum. Been lurking for a couple months now ever since my wife and I bought my son a 6v kfx quad. Havent done anything to the quad yet but I picked up a running barbie Jeep last weekend off of CL for $50. I have been looking for a larger vehicle for a while on CL and saw the Jeep and had to have it. I will post pictures of the torn down vehicle later tonight. I forgot to take pics when I got it home I was so excited I had it torn down in about an hour and then realized. Its basically a sun faded pink jeep with purple tires and accents. I am sure you all know the one. That brings me to my problem. My boy (or I mean I dont want my boy) to have a pink Jeep therefore the teardown.

So to start the project this week I ran out and got a couple cans of Fusion paint and started painting last night. Basic scheme is going to be black and blue with some silver mixed in. Other mods will be LED lighting, maybe a 18v nos button but for now its going to stay 12v. But I also wanted to get rid of the purple wheels so I started looking around and was inspired by the bounty hunter project of tiddleracer. And have now deciced I absolutely have to have the lift kit. So I am in the process of procuring the parts needed. I also really want the Eliminator/Extreme rear tires. I may have found a set of 4 but they dont have the hub caps.

So my main question as of now is does anyone know what hub cabs will fit on the rear tires of the extreme machine? I currently have the 11" Jeep wheels with white hub caps. Would these hub caps fit or is there a set on hobbymasters or toyservice that would fit these wheels? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Edited by - Artax on 07/09/2009 20:41:03

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  14:57:11  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I'm pretty sure these Hub Caps from the Ninja will fit the X-Treme Machine wheels. Maybe someone can chime in for sure.
http://www.hobbymasters.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2432

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  15:16:47  Show Profile
Those actually look like the hub caps on the Bounty Hunter. But I wasn't sure if they were the same ones. hmmm

Oh and here is a picture of the Jeep broken down before I cleaned it and removed the stickers. I will try to get some more pictures once painting is done.

74.67 KB

Click picture to view project blog!!

Edited by - Artax on 06/10/2009 15:28:53
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  06:13:46  Show Profile
Ok well I tried to get info on those hub capsvin the general forum but so far no luck. Soo i decided to just throw them in my order as I was already placing an order at hobbymasters anyhow. I also Ordered the wheels and the lift pieces so we will see how it goes when all the parts come in hopefully next week. Hopefully the hubs fit the wheels (crosses fingers) I figure as long as the diameter is right I can make them work even if they have a different rear center section.

Also got the roll bars, windshield frame, seat and a few odds and ends painted and started on the body. Plan on working on the rest of the body this weekend but I have a feeling it's doing to take a while. I am going to try to paint the interior with nickel shimmer and exterior the patriotic blue (I think that's the name) with a thin 1/8" black stripe between them at the jeep upper body line. Not sure how well this will work as I have never tried but I painted the black last night. Next I plan on taping off the black with the 1/8" flex masking tape which will be my stripe then taping off the exterior and painting nickel on one side, tape off interior paint blue on exterior. My only concern at this point is wether the tape will try to peel the paint under it and wether the paint on top of the tape will try to stay connected and and peel off the paint on the body next to it? Anyone done a 2 tone paint with Krylon Fusion and have any experience with taping this paint?

I think that's it for now. I will try to get more pics up as things progress and post when all my parts come in and find out if everything works out.

Edited by - Artax on 06/12/2009 06:18:45
Go to Top of Page

drew510
Senior Modder

Portland
OR

1079 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  08:00:42  Show Profile
Haven't done two-tone YET, so I am very interested in finding out how it goes. I've got a sweet plan for the Lambo, but it is fourth in line right now, so it may be a while.

Finished Projects:
F150 4x4 Off Road turned Oregon State Beavers - http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19323
TRU Bigfoot turned Oregon Ducks: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14563
Jeep Wrangler (78490) http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11606
Ford F150 (C3493) US MARINES - http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7264
Go to Top of Page

extdjeep7

omaha
nebraska

2 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  07:50:19  Show Profile
this is my daughters barbie jeep that she grew out of. instead of getting ridd of it I decided to cut it inhalf and add five inches in the middle. her knees were hitting the dash, but now shes got some growing room. lesson I learned, don't throw it away, just make it bigger.I used 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe sch.40 wall thickness to connect the sides. I used sheetmetal from a door panel off of a car I got for free from a local body shop, this is what i used for the floorboard. it looks rough now, but I will finish it later to make it look right. I just did this last week. I used my sawsall to make the cut across the middle. total time invested at this stage is only about 4 hours.

37.1 KB

58.52 KB

37.1 KB
Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  07:58:38  Show Profile
For the steering you could extend it by possibly just stacking one wheel on top of another (cutting off the spokes and rim on the bottom one).

------------------------------------------------
Screamin Demon (600 watt scooter motor, 36v scooter controller)
Red Harley (trike, 24v scooter controller, 13t MFJ gearboxes/motors)
KFX Quad (24v scooter controller, MFJ 12t gearboxes/motors)
Fire Rescue Jeep (24v scooter controller, 15t #7 gearboxes/motors)
Franken(berry)beast (24v scooter controller, 2-250Watt Scooter motors)
Grave Digger (21T gearboxes)
Super Shock
Razor MX-350 Motorcycle

Projects
--------
Jeep Wrangler (on hold)
Barbie Cruzin Tunes Jeep (24v scooter controller)
TCV Indy Racer (24v scooter controller)
Gator (on hold)
Silverado Dragster (on hold)
Apache (on hold)
Metal big wheel (24v scooter controller)
Jeep Aftershock
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  08:21:15  Show Profile
Wow my thread just got hijacked. Anyhow for an update on MY project. I finished painting the 2 tone (nickel shimmer inside and blue outside) along with the black stripe and everything worked out really well. Now I just need to clear coat the top and paint the underside of the vehicle black. I will post pics later today when I am off work.

I also got my decals (rubicon) from hobbymasters this weekend and picked up a few more odds and ends. Probably won't use all the decals but I wanted the dash to look finished. I also ordered some pre-wired 12v led lights off eBay 50 red, 50 blue, and 50 white. Plan on doing headlights, taillights, underbody be possibly under the front grille. hopefully parts start rolling in this week or I will be on hold in a few days when I am done with paint. I think that's it for now.
Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  08:24:59  Show Profile
Sorry about that.

------------------------------------------------
Screamin Demon (600 watt scooter motor, 36v scooter controller)
Red Harley (trike, 24v scooter controller, 13t MFJ gearboxes/motors)
KFX Quad (24v scooter controller, MFJ 12t gearboxes/motors)
Fire Rescue Jeep (24v scooter controller, 15t #7 gearboxes/motors)
Franken(berry)beast (24v scooter controller, 2-250Watt Scooter motors)
Grave Digger (21T gearboxes)
Super Shock
Razor MX-350 Motorcycle

Projects
--------
Jeep Wrangler (on hold)
Barbie Cruzin Tunes Jeep (24v scooter controller)
TCV Indy Racer (24v scooter controller)
Gator (on hold)
Silverado Dragster (on hold)
Apache (on hold)
Metal big wheel (24v scooter controller)
Jeep Aftershock
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  15:38:09  Show Profile
Its no big deal treebeme you didnt do it.

Anyhow here are some pictures of the paint as of now. As I said in my previous post I still need to clear coat and paint the underbody. But I am pretty happy with the outcome so far.

Black painted with the stipe taped off

40.7 KB

These are with the Nickel shimmer painted on the interior

45.4 KB

44.47 KB

Taped off ready for the blue

45.61 KB

And here is how it currently sits

54.97 KB

56 KB

46.17 KB

54.78 KB

51.06 KB

Go to Top of Page

drew510
Senior Modder

Portland
OR

1079 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  15:57:56  Show Profile
That looks sweet! Please tell me you are going to paint the undercarriage.

Finished Projects:
F150 4x4 Off Road turned Oregon State Beavers - http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19323
TRU Bigfoot turned Oregon Ducks: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14563
Jeep Wrangler (78490) http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11606
Ford F150 (C3493) US MARINES - http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7264
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  16:02:39  Show Profile
yea I am goint to paint it a satin black but I wanted to get the clear coat done first.

Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  21:36:03  Show Profile
Another update. I am finally finished painting except for the few parts that still haven't come in. I did run into a few problems while painting. First I had an issue with the clear coat on the hood. It is pretty humid around here but I am impatient so I wasnt going to let that stop me and I think it played a factor. I also think I may have put the clear on too thick trying to get a gloss finish and it didnt work out and spider webed as it dried. I ended up having to sand the hood and repaint a few coats of blue then put some thin coats of clear and that worked ok. Another problem I ran into when painting the underbody. I taped all the top off and painted the black underbody but when I went to pull the tape off a small section of the blue came off with the tape. I must not have gotten that part of the body clean cuase it was only one section that did it.

Here is a picture of the messed up section

61.95 KB

Here are a few pictures of the finished product after I fixed the messed up fender

60.39 KB

62.45 KB

And here are a couple pics of the rest of the painted parts

97.51 KB

85.35 KB

I also picked up some grip tape from the local skateboard shop. Cost me $4.75 for 2' long x 8" wide. I thought it was pretty cheap considering the local farm n fleet wanted almost 2 times that for 1' long 3" wide. I made up some patterns and cut out 2 sections to put in on the floor. Only problem I had with this was I cut one of them out backwards so I had to make it in 2 pieces but oh well. Here they are just sitting in the body showing the location where they will go.

59.28 KB

I also picked up some cut and stick review mirror material from the auto parts store. I didnt really like the decals for the side and rear view mirrors so I thought I would put in real mirrors. Won't really be useful but I think it will look better.

My tires also showed up today. I got 4 rear Eliminator wheels from Mendingshed. I little pricey ,@ $80 shipped, but I decided I wanted to replace the purple wheels anyhow so I went for it. As soon as they came in a measured them. Just eyeballing it they looked about 15" which supprised me as I keep reading they are 14". Well I measured the circumference and it came out to 46.75" which comes out to 14.88" diameter just shy of 15". Here are pics of the tires.

65.17 KB

34.21 KB

I am still waiting for a few things from Hobbymasters and also from turnpike Appliance Center. Turnpike was a little cheaper then Toyservice for the front and rear lift pieces so I went through them. So we will see how things go together as more things come in.

Go to Top of Page

drew510
Senior Modder

Portland
OR

1079 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  22:24:03  Show Profile
Nice update. How long did you wait after painting the black before placing the tape for the stripe over it?

Finished Projects:
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  06:26:26  Show Profile
I let the paint dry about 18-20 hours before I put tape on any of the paint. The fusion paint says to apply coats within 24 hours or after 7 days so I tried to follow that. Only spot that didn't work was the reworked area. Only had paint peel off under the tape in that one area.

I also thought of something last night after reading another post. Does anyone know if the lift requires a longer steering rod? I didn't think of this when I ordered parts so I looked into the parts diagrams. But the rod for the Barbie crusin tunes and the Barbie beach party (ordered the lift off of this) show the same part number for the steering rod. I am probably just going to wait til everything gets here and see if the one I have works and see if I missed anything else before ordering anymore parts. I also thought maybe I could just make one out of some rould stock but I would have to figure out how to attach the steering wheel without the smashed ends. We will see I guess.

The wife is starting to think I should have just bought a new one. Haha
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  06:58:40  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Yes you will need a longer steering rod for the front lift kit. I placed the donor one I used next to my original one it was a good 1-2" longer. I do have some extra play on the steering rod I used, so you might be able to make it work with the one you have.

Your Jeep looks fantastic, I love the black undercarriage look.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  07:16:12  Show Profile
Thanks for the compliments. It has taken over a week just to paint it and am happy with the outcome. I thought about putting more layers of clear on and wet sanding and buffing to get a gloss finish but I am afraid of messing up what I have already done.

Also thanks for the info on the rod. I think it was your post I read that made me realize I may need a longer one but then I looked at the parts diagrams which claimed they were the same. I will see if I can make it work. If not I will have to do some more digging to see if I can find one online that I know will work. I just do t want to order any more parts hoping they work. Then last resort I but so e round stock and pin the steering wheel somehow.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  07:36:08  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
On this shot you can see how much play it had one the end of it. I compenstated using a shaft collar to take the slack out. On the other end I'm just using a regular cap nut. I can't remember exactly how the two steering rods looked side by side, but I'm thinking the longer end was the one leading to the steering wheel from the S bend.

Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  21:45:31  Show Profile
Ok I haven't been updated this blog post for a little while becuase I have been busy with the project among other things so here is the latest on the project.

Ok first. I got the hub caps (P8990-2579) I ordered from hobbymasters that I was hoping worked with the extreme wheels. Well to say the least they don't fit. These hub caps have a spindle that is extruded out the rear and the extreme wheels use a hex bushing. Here is a pic of the back side of the hub cap.

66.89 KB

Ok fine so I layed the hub cap upside down on the wheel to see if they were the correct diameter and they were. So I figured I could just cut off the spindle on the inside of the hub cap and everything would be ok. Turns out I was wrong again. Here is a pic of the back side of hub cap with spindle removed.

69.23 KB

Turns out the hub cap is about 1/4" deeper then the recess in the wheel. Here is a picture of the above modified hub cap sitting in the extreme wheel.

42.24 KB

So after some work I basically sanded, slowly I might add, until I got the hub cap to sit better in the wheel. I basically mounted the hub cap to my drill, using a cutoff wheel mounting chuck, and used a block sander with some 60grit. Then cleaned up the access with a razor blade. Here is the finished version.

47.38 KB

This was way more work then I was hoping for but at I already have them and got one to work so now I have 3 more to modify. I would highly suggest nobody buy these hubs for these wheels. I bought these hoping and turned out I was WAY wrong but I will make do.

Next, I also recieved my lift pieces from Turnpike Appliance Center. I ordered from there becuase they were quite a bit cheaper then Toyservice. I ordered the parts that are used on the Barbie Beach Party, Front Module H4433-2019 and Rear Module H4433-2029. They are light blue in color but I plan on painting them black the same as the underbody. Here are the pictures of the lift pieces.

Front Module

58.12 KB

Rear Module

69.85 KB

The only hardware you really need to get these mounted to the standard Jeep are 2x 5/16"x5" bolts 2x 5/16" nuts 2x 5/16" washers and 9x #10x1.5" screws. And the only modification to the chassis was cutting out the area to get the gearboxes to mount inside the rear module as described in the bounty hunter thread. Here is a couple pictures of the lift pieces and the wheels mocked up.

78.54 KB

68.72 KB

After I got this all mocked up I did in fact find out that Eric was correct and I do in fact need a longer steering rod. So I went through all the parts diagrams of all the lifted Jeeps I could find and found two steering rods that were still available. I ended up ordered the one from the Barbie Beach party (Before 3-12-2007) PN H4433-4129. The first time I looked into this to see what my rod was compared to the Barbie Beach party I looked at the parts diagram from the Barbie Beach party (After 3-12-2007) which shows PN 78490-4239 which is the same steering rod that is called out in the Barbie take along tunes. I believe this parts diagram is incorrect and this is where my confusion came from earlier. So hopefully the one I ordered works out.

Also after mocking up the lift pieces I started making modifications to the front end. I basically did the sag/alignment fix mashing together some of the ideas I found on here. I started with sandwiching two plates above and below where the front axle fits through the front module but even after that there was still some play so I went a little further and added another plate to the plastic steering part also and U-bolted the front axle, plastic steering part and new steering plate together. I also got rid of the rivet that holds the steering cross bar to the plastic steering pieces and replaced them with 1/4" shoulder bolts and drilled out all the parts to accomodate. With all these modifications and a couple tweaks to the new axles there is NO play and all is straight. Here are a couple pics of the front end modifications from all angles. I could also take some pics of individual parts next time I break it down if requested.

Bottom

57.12 KB

Front

55.17 KB

71.73 KB

Rear

56.8 KB

Now all I have left to do with the lift pieces is paint them and I can do final assembly on this area. Next up will be the lighting if the LED's come in this week.

Oh hand we had a birthday party for the driver of this vehicle. He just turned one so he probably won't driving the jeep for a while but for the meantime he made out like a bandit at his party. My wife and I got the lil quad and grandma and grandpa got the firetruck.

65.48 KB

Oh and I suppose it wouldn't be right without posting one picture of the driver.

39.93 KB

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  04:52:24  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Nice work! You steering assembly looks bullet-proof now.
Sorry to hear about the Hub Cap issues. I feel bad for steering you torwards them. Hopefully now that you got one down the others will go smoother.
It's realy looking good so far, I can't wait to see it finished.

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  05:01:47  Show Profile
WOW! Nice job on the front end. Thats lots of work but your little driver should fit in that jeep for many years, so its well worth it.

Drive it like you stole it!........out of somebody's garbage!
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  06:38:08  Show Profile
Thanks for the compliments. The steering setup took quite a while to build but I think it was worth it. I also want to point out that if anyone wants to add all these plates to the steering beware you may need new axles. Once you stack all these parts up the vertical portion of the axle is a little short. I already needed new axles to get the wheel driver on the inside of the extreme wheels to fit. The wheel driver is needed because the extreme rear wheel doesn't have the features to use the standard bushing or the hex bushing on the inside area.

Also Eric don't worry about pointing me toward those hub caps. I had already looked at them before you posted the link. When I ordered them I knew there was a chance they may not fit. I am just happy I can make them work so I don't have to find some other ones.

Go to Top of Page

witz07
Journeyman Modder

Port St Lucie
FL
USA

179 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  12:54:59  Show Profile
I picked up a Barbie Cruisin Tunes Jeep and also a Barbie Beach Ranger Jeep that has the lift kit on it. Both steering shafts are the same, I was expecting them to be different when I took them apart but they are exactly the same.

18 volt jeep (sometimes 24 volt)
12 volt lil harley
12 volt harley
6 volt jeep (chinese knockoff)
6 volt lil quad
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  13:37:14  Show Profile
That seems kinda strange. I tried the crusin tunes rod after putting the lift on and it was over 1" too short. I just picked up another crusin tunes last weekend so maybe I will pull that rod off and see if they are the same.

I also have the Barbie beach party rod o. The way from hobbymasters so I will compare and take pics when it comes in.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  14:25:12  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I know when I compared the steering rod from the Lifted Enforcer I used, and the original one that came with the Sun Jammer, the Enforcer was a good 1-2" longer. I should have taken pictures of it.

Go to Top of Page

run2jeepn
Apprentice Modder

67 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  23:10:03  Show Profile  Visit run2jeepn's Homepage
Do you have the part Number for that longer steering rod?

www.JPCUSTOMRCS.com
Where Hardcorse Crawlers Shop!
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  20:19:09  Show Profile
Yes the part number for the rod is posted in this thread and the thread of yours in the general forum.

Here is another update. I got the barbie beach party steering rod from hobbymasters. Its about 1-3/8" longer then the take along tunes rod. Here are pics of it next to the take along tunes rod.

89.08 KB

67.76 KB

I partially assembled it last night and it fits but I would really prefer it about 1/2" longer. Its a little tight when trying to use shaft collars but it will work.

I also got my LED lights in. Decided to go with pre-wired and plan to run a seperate accessories battery once I get it up and running. For testing I am using the PW battery.

First I added 6 blue leds under the dash.

59.07 KB

I also added 7 blue leds into the grill area at the top of each spoke. I also added 14 behind each stock headlight lense.

32.47 KB

I also managed to get 16 red leds into each stock tail light housing behind the stock lense. This was kindof a pain with the pre-wired LEDs. You can see the lights pretty well. I tested them and mounted them to the Jeep but haven't got them wired into the switch yet.

I also got my terminal blocks mounted under the hood and got the dash lights, and all the grill lights wired up along with the switches. Here is under the hood doing some testing.

52.15 KB

Here are a few pics of the lights. I can't seem to get a decent shot of the lights with the camera I have so these are the best I got.

18.1 KB

21.57 KB

27.19 KB

And here are a few more in its current state. Its not fully assembled but its getting closer.

74.06 KB

74.41 KB

68.79 KB

71.33 KB

I have the next week off of work but am going to be out of town this weekend. So I should have time next week to finish things up. As of now I still need to modify the other 3 hub caps, wire in the tail lights, modify and wire in the front amber lights I purchased, and wire up and install the 36 blue LED string of lights for the underbody lighting. Then its just a few more odds and ends and I am done til he starts driving it.

But I have been iching to get into the drive system but I think my wife is starting to get pissed about all the time I am spending on a toy that the boy wont drive for a while. So I may jump onto the fire truck and wire in some red underbody lights I have left over.

Oh and one more thing. Anyone have any thoughts on what I should put on the hood. I really want some decal or something on the hood. I have thought about getting the hood with shovel but I wanted to see if anyone else had a good idea after seeing it partially assembled. I may just wait til its fully assembled and then decide. Any thoughts?

Chris

Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  22:05:30  Show Profile
I love this pic and this is probably my Favorite Jeep. Excellent work!

74.07 KB

How bout this on the hood
http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFORMERS-AUTOBOT-4-inch-Black-Vinyl-Decals-Stickers_W0QQitemZ230354468505QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a2323e99&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1240|293%3A1|294%3A50

"Time to take a ride on the information superhighway."
Go to Top of Page

run2jeepn
Apprentice Modder

67 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  04:12:01  Show Profile  Visit run2jeepn's Homepage
Well if you want any custom Decals made up. Just shoot me an E-Mail. I have a full print shop. Everything is made for the outdoors and is water proof and won't fade... I big Warn decal would be cool. I'll do it for cost since you helped me out.

www.JPCUSTOMRCS.com
Where Hardcorse Crawlers Shop!
Go to Top of Page

turbokev
Senior Modder

Fremont
New Hampshire
USA

1283 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  05:30:01  Show Profile  Visit turbokev's Homepage
I've been watching this project all along and I think you've done a great job.. bulletproof steering, nice color choice and the lighting is fantastic too..

I think you're choice of names is good as well, you don't meet too many Carters (I have a 5 year old Carter myself)

Thanks,
Kev

18V Mustang v2.0 : 18V Mustang v1.0 : 12V Mustangs : 18V Gaucho Police
18V NASCAR : 12V Extreme Machines : 12V Hurricane Resto : 18V Mustang with Blower

Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  15:48:06  Show Profile
Thanks sdubb that is my faverite pic so far too. Just looks mean from the front. I will take more once I get it together. And next time I will pick up all the trash and tools lol.

Not sure about that logo as it is knda plain but transformer theme seems cool other then the fact it doesn't transform. I will have to think about that more. Good idea though got me thinking.

Run2jeepn I may take you up on that offer. If I pick a theme I will hit you up. Also np on the help. I got alot of my info from this forum so just trying to do my part.

Thanks turbokev, it has been a really fun and rewarding project. Plus it's alot cheaper then real cars. And I will tell my wife you like the name she picked for our son. I just agreed with it after many that I didn't like :).
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  13:42:34  Show Profile
Ok here goes with another big update. I seem to take alot of pics but have been busy working and havent had a chance to post for a while so here goes.

Finally finished with the underbody lighting, rear tail lights, and front running lights. Here is a picture of the wiring for these lights.

80.43 KB

57.45 KB

and a picture of the running lights I picked up from Wal-Mart. I did have to modify the housings a bit to get them to fit around the curve of the body but it wasnt too bad.

56.31 KB

Next up was the modifications I made to the KC lights. This one I came up with on my own. I think its pretty cool but the wife thinks I am crazy.

First I modified the KC light bar to accept a set of headlight lenses. Basically just used the grill as a template and used a razor blade to cut the holes.

83.61 KB

Then I cut holes in the stock KC light covers to accept the headlight grills. Here I used a hole saw and then cleaned up the hole with a razor blade. Then I used some apoxy to glue them together and painted them black. Here is some pictures of the process.

87.45 KB

66.73 KB

Here they are fit up to the light bar.

94.55 KB

Then I used some of the leftover cut n stick rear view mirror material and made some reflectors (this worked really well). I just drilled some 3/16" holes and pushed the led lights through the holes. Wired everything up together, cut some holes in the light bar to accept the wiring and led's, ran the wire through the light bar and screwed them down with a few screws. Here is a pic with one of the lights mounted.

86.97 KB

Here is the final outcome.

54.12 KB

And here are a few shots of all the lights lit up. I have them wired into 2 switches, one for all the blue lights and one for headlights, KC lights, tail lights, and front corner lights. Although after seeing my son sit on it in the dark with the lights on I may have to wire up the KC lights with a seperate switch as he wants to turn around and stare at them. These pics are all in my basement at night with no lights on.

51.79 KB

49.4 KB

53.25 KB

29.38 KB

I also finally got the thing fully assembled. Went to take it outside and guess what. Oh yea it doesnt fit through the doorway. I have a walkout basement with a sliding door so I figured it would fit. Well with a little help from the wife we slid it out sideways. This will definately have to live in the garage as I am not bringing this thing in and out of the house. Here is some final shots. I am still up in the air about a hood decal. I was also considering putting a shovel on the hood but have decided against that as I like the current look. I will post more pics if I end up with any more decals for now its got all the stickers its getting.

94.81 KB

77.07 KB

88.85 KB

74.67 KB

89.94 KB

76.38 KB

Lets just say Carter loves his new ride. He cried for a while after I pulled him out. I put him in it and stood behind it with a stick pushing the foot pedal and steering him around the yard while he tried to hang onto the steering wheel. At his size I am going to have to get him some seat belts as he doesnt hold on very well. Plus if his cousin comes over and wants to drive it I want Carter to be able to ride with him. This was only in low. I really, really want to beaf this thing up and throw some titans and a 24v scooter controller (and actually got the wifes approval to buy what I need to make it fast) but after taking him for a ride I think I will leave it as is for now so I can still take him for a ride once in a while til he gets big enough to drive it. Here is one last pic with the boy in it.

87.94 KB
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  13:51:50  Show Profile
Oh I just realized I forgot to post the picture of the rear view mirrors. I created real rear view mirrors with the cut and stick rear view mirror material you can buy at the auto parts stores. You can see them in one of the pictures above but I just wanted to post this pic and point them out.

93.24 KB

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  14:23:01  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Beautiful work, everything looks really clean and sharp. Very nice indeed.

Go to Top of Page

carolinaped

48 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  08:32:12  Show Profile
It looks factory, since Its so clean. Great Job.

Go to Top of Page

DaddyFixit
Journeyman Modder

phoenix
az
USA

156 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  08:56:12  Show Profile
Man it looks great. I'm also converting a barbie ranger. I'm currently painting it blue also, but not two-tone. I gotta say, the two tone really makes it pop. Love the tires and rims. Since you had problems getting the correct ones, which would be the right ones if i were to get them. Do you know?

thanks for the pictures.

Escalade
2 Fire Rescue Jeeps
Ken's Beach Ranger (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  12:20:27  Show Profile
Thanks for the nice comments. I am pretty happy with the results.

Daddyfixit...
Sorry I still don't know what available hub caps fit the extreme wheels. If you find out I would be interested to know. I am happy with the outcome even though I had extra work they just don't fit as nice as I would like. They still have a out 1/16"-1/8" gap between the hub cap flange and the wheel but it looks ok in the grand scheme of things.

After I button up the last few items on this I need to find a new project. I was sitting in the kitchen with my wife last night and she got mad I was bugging her during her facebook/web time. That's what I get for trying to spend some time and have a conversation with her.

I did pick up another take along tunes jeep for $30 and a kawasaki ninja quad for $25 on CL in the past few weeks so I have those to choose from. I think I am going to fix up the quad cause Carter walks over to it every time I put him down when they are sitting next to each other. I told my wife that's him telling me he wants it fixed up.

Go to Top of Page

DaddyFixit
Journeyman Modder

phoenix
az
USA

156 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  12:53:40  Show Profile
thanks artax. I will start doing my research.

Escalade
2 Fire Rescue Jeeps
Ken's Beach Ranger (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  13:18:30  Show Profile
No problem. Good luck in your searches. You may be best off trying to find someone partng one out but I was being impatient so I bought the ones that looked right.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  13:22:19  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I don't think the specific Xtreme Machine/Eliminator hubcaps are available new anymore.

Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  05:57:26  Show Profile
Yea I pretty sure you are right Eric. I got the part numbers off the parts diagrams and looked all over and wasn't able to find any new. The question really is are there any that fit the same, same diameter and depth that use a hex bushing. Well actually doesn't even need to use the hex chase you could just cut any extruded portion off like I did. It was the thinning if the hub cap that took all the time.

Go to Top of Page

rollndice83
Expert Modder

Lansdale
PA
USA

850 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  10:34:51  Show Profile
Wow! I missed this project. Do you have any before pictures? That is awesome! The blue looks perfect. Everyone is right..Looks like a factory job. Great Work!

When 18V is to slow...Time to go to 50cc quads
88 Super 6Volt Corvette Project
90 Suzuki Quad Super6 on 12V
12V F-150
12V Suzuki 3-Wheeler(2WD Super6)Current Project
Lifted Fire Rescue Jeep(Upgrading to 21T 18V)
WildThing Super6 Volt
12V Harley(WIP)
Original 6V PW Hot Rod
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  10:37:52  Show Profile
The only before picture I have is on the first page after I tore it down. I forgot to take pics after I picked it up.

Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  14:35:52  Show Profile
Well I took the Jeep over to my in laws house so my nephew could take it for a spin and find bugs in the system. Turns out out of 4 batteries I have gotten so far from various finds on CL only 1 is actually any good. But the Jeep ran great. Only problem I had was with the shaft collars wanting to come loose. I am using the cheap drill stops from harbor freight cuase they were on sale for $1.50 per pack but now that I have stripped out 3 set screws from those I am going go get some real shaft collars and thread lock them once I have everything worked out. Hopefully I have better luck with those.

I have also figured out my son does not want to ride as a passenger in any of these vehicles. We tried to put him in as a passenger in the Jeep and also my nephews silverado and cried like crazy until we took him out. But if you put him behind the wheel and push the pedal (with a stick) and steer him around he is happy as can be.

I also stopped by the local pet store and picked up a couple 26" dog collars for $5 each. I plan on using these for seat belts. I got the idea from somewhere on this forum but it was a while back so I can't recall who to give credit to for this idea. I got the ones with the plastic clips so hopefully those work out. I will get those installed sometime in the next few days and post up some pictures.

Edited by - Artax on 07/26/2009 14:37:08
Go to Top of Page

RyanV
Apprentice Modder

holiday
fl
USA

83 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  14:52:19  Show Profile
this jeep gives me inspiration for the girlie jeep ill be transforming soon for my son. =)

i like the idea of dog collars. i used old girlscout belts froma dollar store. they work great. ill post as pic soon.
Go to Top of Page

DaddyFixit
Journeyman Modder

phoenix
az
USA

156 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  14:54:56  Show Profile
You're gonna have to make it RC soon. that way he can still be behind and enjoy it. One more mod.

Escalade
2 Fire Rescue Jeeps
Ken's Beach Ranger (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  15:43:45  Show Profile
making it RC has crossed my mind. Maybe I should head over to the RC forum and see whats involved. I havent really spent much time in that forum so I am not sure how difficult it would be or how much money it costs.

Go to Top of Page

DaddyFixit
Journeyman Modder

phoenix
az
USA

156 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  15:46:50  Show Profile
I looked at most of the projects. and some tallied at about $200.

Escalade
2 Fire Rescue Jeeps
Ken's Beach Ranger (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  15:59:02  Show Profile
I looked into RC for a while but it seems a bit expensive to me. I didnt see any setups that were under $300 and reliable. Plus most of them you had to manual switch from forward to reverse and if I were going to do it I would want full control so more money and experimenting in something I know nothing about.

I did pick up pink harley davidson last night so the Jeep is most likely getting some 21T gearboxes and I now have a new project for after I get done with my quad. :D

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  10:31:01  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I added your front end fix here to the FAQ section. Kudos again for the great work.

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  13:39:15  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Thanks Eric.... saved me some time. It looks like a good fix. Took my idea of u-bolting a plate in place of the plastic block, and bolted it OVER the plastic block. Probably an overall easier method, with the same or better results. Good job Artax.

I'm not big into the aesthetic mods, but I gotta say, that is one incredible looking Jeep. A nice combination of parts, and a good balance of details vs. looking clean. Major kudos on your build.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: