These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Introductions
 New here!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

J-Max

WA

2 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  08:44:41  Show Profile
Hi, everyone, I discovered this forum last night and have been reading like crazy since!

First off I am Jess, a SAHM ranch wife to 4 girls, 10, almost 6, 4, and 16 mo.

We have an older Peg gator that we have loved and is slowly dying and we have talked about modding it the last 2 years, but have not gotten around to it, so I am taking the project over, but need some guidance! We bought it new in Dec of 02 for our oldest, and it has held up really well, with many hours and miles of driving over the past 6 summers.

The biggest problems with it right now are it needs a new battery, and I am not willing to pay the 70 bucks for a new one. We have had to replace the battery every 2-3 years, but we hate the low battery life. The kids use it in the yard, along with out walking the fields to check cows and water, so I would like it to last longer, if possible.

Also for several years it will not go into reverse, and now it only has hi, not low speed, which I don't mind too much, they hardly ever use Low, but now I am thinking Hi may be next to go.

We have fianlly had our first nice weather of the season, and it looks like it is here to stay and the kids want to ride, so I need to get it fixed as quick as I can.

I can do some basic wiring, and a good mix of general stuff, and DH is very good at the stuff, but he is really busy right now, so he will be able to help occasionally on weekends or some night, but mostly it will fall to me. We have a small jack-of-all-trade, some of everything hardware/parts/farm service store fairly close to us, but anything more than that is a couple hour drive. But I might need some very detailed instructions if it is something I have not done before :D

I am fairly long winded, so tell me to shut up when ever you want :D

So, I am thinking I need to go get a SLA 12 volt 12 ah battery and an inline fuse right? I have to go get some parts for one of the trucks, so I will try to get one of those today. We have a multi amp/multi volt battery charger, so I am assuming that should work to charge it for now and I will try to pick up on of the recommended chargers the next time I go into town. How do I actually hook it to the wiring harness that is on the gator now?

I am thinking I will order the non-revised gator overhaul kit from kids wheels to fix the gear problems, is that a good idea? How hard is it to change all those things over?

Thanks, and I will be here for a while soaking up all I can!

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  09:01:31  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Hi and welcome!
Getting an aftermarket battery would certainly be a lot cheaper. You can get good prices from Gruber and Power-Cell Zeus. More info on them can be found here.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5917

The Peg Perego batteries are nice that if you pop off the external casing, you can remove the wiring/battery connector from the battery and reuse it on an aftermarket SLA battery. Here is a nice thread on how to do it.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=700

Your switches are most likely the cause of the missing Reverse and Low speed. Most often a good cleaning is all it takes to get them working again. HEre is a thread on cleaning switches
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2896

And here is the troubleshooting guide if you want to take a look.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3865

The HLR upgrade kit for the Gator is pretty nice. CJB just installed one on his, and it comes with a plug to add the automatic lift to the dump bed if you were looking to get that too.
www.peg-peregoparts.com sells them with good prices.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page

jfoust
Senior Modder

Atlanta
GA
USA

2419 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  09:21:52  Show Profile  Visit jfoust's Homepage
Wow! 4 girls??? God help your husband! I think gseric covered everything as well as it could be. The only thing I might add is that the stock battery compartment is pretty small, so you won't get more than a 12v 12ah battery in there.

If you want extended runtime, going to a higher Ah battery would help, but you'd have to relocate it. There's a lot of room under the bed between the motors. You could get two 12v 12Ah batteries and run them in parallel to maintain 12v but get longer runtime (about 2x as long).

Installing the kit should be pretty easy. There's not a lot of complex stuff on these things, thankfully!

Current Fleet:
Super6 Vette, Grave Digger w/ 19T's, Gaucho Grande, Dora Lil Quad, Eliminator w/ 21T's, 12v Harley, Safety 1st C5R

Scrap Pile (email for parts):
High Torque Gaucho, Red PW Jeep
Go to Top of Page

J-Max

WA

2 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  11:12:36  Show Profile
Thanks!

Dh is good with girls - he has all sisters and and girl cousins, he would not know what to do with a boy LOL

so am I better off to order 2 12volt 12 ah batteries and hook them together or a get a higher ah? and if a higher ah would be better, what do you recommend?

I am going to pull off the gear switches and look at them this afternoon, but I am thinking I may just order the overhaul kit anyway, because once I mentioned to dh that you can put a hydrolic lift on the bed, he was sold :D
Go to Top of Page

jfoust
Senior Modder

Atlanta
GA
USA

2419 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  11:33:42  Show Profile  Visit jfoust's Homepage
It's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other as far as batteries go...

Gruber has a 12v 18Ah for about $46 shipped. That would give you about 1.5x more runtime than a stock 12ah, but it will probably be too big for the stock compartment without some major hacking, so you would probably be moving it to the back more than likely. Not a big deal, just need a little wire to run from front to back to make the hookup.

Or if you go with 2 12Ah's in parallel you will effectively have 24Ah and one will fit in the stock location and the other in the back. Also will have to have wiring for the back battery.

Another consideration is the charging. I think you can charge two batteries at the same time in parallel, but it will take 2x as long to charge. I'm guessing an 18Ah battery would take 1.5x longer than a single 12Ah.

BTW, I think the lift will work with your current wiring. There should be a plug under the seat that's not hooked to anything. The only thing I can figure it's for is the power dump thing.

Current Fleet:
Super6 Vette, Grave Digger w/ 19T's, Gaucho Grande, Dora Lil Quad, Eliminator w/ 21T's, 12v Harley, Safety 1st C5R

Scrap Pile (email for parts):
High Torque Gaucho, Red PW Jeep
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  15:50:25  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
The old gators don't have that extra plug. Luckily I ordered the HLR kit with the power dump kit, so it all worked out.

It did take some 'trimming' for the dump kit to work in the old gator.

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado
Polaris 2X ; Polaris 700; Xtreme Machine ; 12v Super 6 Firerock
Gaucho Grande; Tinkerbell Ninja; 12v S6 Trail Rider; Brute Force 24v
Go to Top of Page

kastoo
Journeyman Modder

Lagrange
GA
USA

296 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  16:04:08  Show Profile  Send kastoo a Yahoo! Message
Welcome! Wow there seem to be a lot of Women modders here! You can get a alarm (SLH) battery at Radio Shack cheap too..I just figured that out after I ordered my Gruber.

KAS
Go to Top of Page

J-Max

WA

2 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  17:17:18  Show Profile
I ordered 2 12 ah ones from Gruber, and dh said he had a circuit breaker that will work for them, so I will plan on putting it under the bed. It is the old style but I plan on purchasing the upgrade and the bed lift after dh gets paid next week.

This is so bad, I already have too many expensive hobbies (we have show cattle and I sew), but this will be fun!

And way too addictive - I was looking on craiglist with a sleeping child in my lap this afternoon and found a newer gator about 2 hours from me for $50 Works great, Looks good, except the windshield broke off. I am going to get it on Friday
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: