These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Elf-Mobile turned Midwest Modified
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  16:09:39  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Just picked this one up. It's very strange. No floor. It has two pedals, and by looking at the wiring, it seems that both of them have to be pushed to energize the motor. I have plans for this one. It'll end up looking like grandpa's race car in the last picture. Sorta.

Anyone have any idea on a make/model of this? I'm already liking the tube metal frame. It should make modding a little easier.

43.94 KB

46.55 KB

41.73 KB

50.9 KB

49.96 KB

38.44 KB

46.37 KB

49.6 KB

50.23 KB

92.61 KB

Edited by - CJB on 03/24/2009 09:52:14

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  16:37:09  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Cool,
I saw that one on ebay for a while, I'm glad you were able to get it. Looks like a great platform to start on.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  19:24:41  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Upon further inspection, it appears the drive hub on the wheel is actually part of the wheel. It runs on an 8 post drive hub. Gearbox runs, but sounds terrible.

52.23 KB

50.28 KB

Battery will not take a charge (not like I was going to keep it anyway). Came with a 6v 9.5ah. I'm definately going to a single 12v. It's a race car - it's supposed to go fast all of the time.

Back wheels are 9.5"
Fronts are 7.5"

How big are the wheels on a PW race car? Does anyone have a reccomendation for a specific gear box type to put in? Obviously I'll be making this 2wd.

I was correct on the pedal set-up. Both have to be pushed to make it go - no reverse. Both switches are SPST, so a reverse is not really an option with the existing set-up. I'm thinking about replacing the right one with a standard PW pedal to allow reverse, and keeping the left one as a turbo bump to 18v.

The seat is rather high in proportion to the pedals and the rest of the car. Might as well be sitting on the trunk. There is room underneath to drop the seat about 2.5". I'll also want to put in a dash for an instrument panel. Looks like I better brush up on my fiberglass skills.

The plastic body is in general pretty thin. Seems rather brittle as well. Some places are thinner than others.

The front end looks good. No sag or warping. Steering works great but the wheel is held to the column by a hose clamp. No biggie. Stickers look like they will be a royal pain to remove.

I'll be putting a floor pan for safety reasons. Not sure if I want to fab it out of plastic or metal yet.

Another thought I've had is to scrap the body and make my own. I have an artist friend who could sculpt out of foam, a replica of my Jaguar XJS. I'd then fiberglass over the foam, and disolve the foam with acetone from underneath the fiberglass shell. Sounds easy in theory, right? LoL

If any of you have input or suggestions, please chime in.

Wish me luck,
Chris

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  12:33:43  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
With a 2 pedal setup, you could make one a brake pedal, and one for gas. I've never wired one up, but I think Grant is familiar with the setup.
The drive wheels on Lightning McQueen are 10.5" tall. Shorter than the 11.5" wheels on standard Jeeps. McQueen came with 19T gearboxes, but I swapped in 21T, which gave it a little more speed. I'm not sure on the wheel size of the Mustangs, but they come with 21T gearboxes. If you want to put power wheels race care wheels on it, I would say go with 19T or 21T gearboxes.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  19:16:47  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Eric, would you happen to know the PW part numbers for those gear boxes?

I've seen 00968-2901 on a harley diagram. Is that a 21T? The McQueen pn looks like 00968-2912. Those are 19T?

I wonder if Mendingshed.com will carry those.

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado
Polaris 2X ; Polaris 700; Xtreme Machine ; 12v Super 6 Firerock
Gaucho Grande; Tinkerbell Ninja; 12v S6 Trail Rider; Brute Force 24v
Go to Top of Page

Grant
Senior Modder

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

1820 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  20:26:04  Show Profile  Visit Grant's Homepage
I would certainly look at making it a separate brake pedal, it would be a simple matter of reversing the connections around.

If speed is what you are after I would look at getting wheels and gearboxes from an AMAV PowerRider, they run an 85:1 gear ratio which will give a huge a huge performance boost over the 21T (112:1) or 19T (123.7:1) gearboxes. The AMAV motors are also a lot faster than the stock PW motors. The PowerRider wheels are 28cm/11” and have built in traction aids so you will probably need to add traction of the front wheels as well.

You will definitely need to have a separate ‘soften’ brake pedal with these mods otherwise the combination of speed and traction will damage your gearboxes.

http://www.youtube.com/GauchoDrift
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  21:18:30  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CJB

Eric, would you happen to know the PW part numbers for those gear boxes?

I've seen 00968-2901 on a harley diagram. Is that a 21T? The McQueen pn looks like 00968-2912. Those are 19T?

I wonder if Mendingshed.com will carry those.

I'm not sure, but if you pull up any of the part diagrams for a Harley on Mendingshed, it'll list the gearbox. All the Harleys had 21T. It couldn't hurt to call and ask if thats the way you want to go.
Grants choice may be the better way though, www.kidswheels.com sells Power Rider parts.

Edit: I forgot to add, if you apply some heat to the stickers they usually come off pretty easily. I used my wifes hair dryer on high, and it made them a cinch to peel off, hardly any residue was left on the plastic.

Edited by - gseric69 on 03/03/2009 07:48:24
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  07:49:05  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by gseric69
Edit: I forgot to add, if you apply some heat to the stickers they usually come off pretty easily. I used my wifes hair dryer on high, and it made them a cinch to peel off, hardly any residue was left on the plastic.

Thanks for the tip!

Grant - which power riders gearbox should I use? I see two of them on kidswheels.
http://kidswheels.com/Gearboxes-Little-Tikes-Other.html

Looks like the plan is to fab a whole new body. That eliminates any wheel size issues at least.
More to come...

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  17:45:53  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
The gearbox was bone dry. Doesn't look like there was ever any grease in there.

72.02 KB

64.88 KB

65.86 KB

She got 'er all stripped down, ready for paint. The frame, anyway. I think that's about we're going to keep on this bad boy.

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  18:31:49  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
One thing I've just noticed about this... The axel is 3/8", not the standard PW 7/16.

Thoughts?

Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  21:07:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CJB

One thing I've just noticed about this... The axel is 3/8", not the standard PW 7/16.

Thoughts?

make it bigger

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

Grant
Senior Modder

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

1820 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  21:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Grant's Homepage
You want the ones that fill all Nascar models. You may need to ask about the wheels as I don’t know see them on the site.

The gearboxes are quite large, much larger Than Both the PW #7 and Peg Gaucho gearboxes as can be seen below.

**NOTE** There is a potential issue in that the AMAV's use a very large diameter plastic axel. It may be possible to use some piping of the same diameter for the axel to use small bearings in the wheels to allow it to fit a standard axel. They are one of the best gearboxes for performance however they are also hard to fit to a none AMAV vehicle.

Left: AMAV Power Rider gearbox, Right: Peg Perego Gaucho gearbox

52.32 KB

Edited by - Grant on 03/03/2009 21:38:32
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  23:16:22  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
So here's the question... 12v with the PR gearboxes, or 24v chain drive with a scooter motor/ESC.

The body is going to be completely custom fabricated. I might as well chuck the original in the can. Decals will be scaled down from the original, so you can pretty much look at the picture of the yellow car above to get an idea of the finished project.

I'd have to remove the rear axel from the frame for the chain drive option and make that free rolling with fixed wheels and a sprocket, but that would solve my axel thickness problem, seeing I can pick my axel thickness.

Anyone have a source for good rubber tires? I've seen the lawnmower ones and the pricey ones in the caster isle. I'm kind of looking for some rubber rear tires appx 4-6" wide, 9-11" dia.

Go to Top of Page

Grant
Senior Modder

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

1820 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  00:03:22  Show Profile  Visit Grant's Homepage
If you are after performance the chain driver far outperforms the plastic gearboxes and as long as you do not push the speed too far it should be pretty reliable.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  05:48:55  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
The Harbor Freight by me had a large selection of rubber tires for wagons and carts. Some were on sale for $5 each.
I've heard tractor supply co. also has a good selection, but probably cost a little more there.

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  09:51:28  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Okay. So during my sleepless night, I determined that I'm going to use 19T GB's with the McQueen wheels on this baby. I ordered some 7/16 OD aluminum tube for the axel diameter problem.

I'll be running on 24v with an ESC and hall effects pedal. Electric brake. I found a cool heavy duty metal trailer wiring connector to use as a charging port.

I have to hustle and get this all set up so we can begin the body work and have the decals made.

For the seat, I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm going to try to mock up the McQueen seat and see how that looks, but I may just try to find an old car seat with a 5 point harness and bolt that baby in there. I'll obviously re-upholster it so it doesn't look all mini-vanish.

So that's where it sits. For now anyway...

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  10:14:41  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Anyone want that white body? It's getting chucked.

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  18:50:21  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Anyone have experience in modifying drive hubs? All that and a gearbox ain't going to fit.

89.42 KB

78.78 KB

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  18:59:22  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
In the first pic it looks like the axel sticks out pretty far, with this wheels, you only need them to stick ou enough to mount the cap nut on. Those driver can be cut shorter and still function. You could probably cut them down enough to work the gearbox in there.

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  19:01:11  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
I'll take a new pic for perspective

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  19:04:24  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage

86.99 KB

On the first pic, the GB's weren't on there.

Edited by - CJB on 03/26/2009 19:05:27
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  19:11:19  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Check out how much swhenrik cut his down to get it to fit. It doesn't look like you'll need to cut as much down though.

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  19:13:01  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Flippin sweet. I actually picked up an extra hub today. I'll experiment with that one.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

melonman
Journeyman Modder

Deetroit
MI
USA

274 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  20:18:56  Show Profile  Visit melonman's Homepage
Don't know if you would have any interest and shipping it might suck but I do have an Extreme machine/Eliminator seat available cheap if it would work for ya-let me know zip if interested and I can try to get a quote to ship.

PORSCHE 18V stock
Old Gray Gaucho
Bigfoot project
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  04:10:37  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by melonman

Don't know if you would have any interest and shipping it might suck but I do have an Extreme machine/Eliminator seat available cheap if it would work for ya-let me know zip if interested and I can try to get a quote to ship.

Can you post a picture? I may be interested in this.

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  12:43:30  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Finally got the rear wheels on. I picked up some 7/16 OD aluminum tubing. Was just a hair too small on the ID, so I just bored it out with a 3/8 bit and some wd-40. Unfortunately, I overestimated my ability to drill straight into the tube, and ruined some. So, when my new tubing arrives, I'll be able to get the front wheels done.

Once that's all mocked up, it's time to start fabricating the body. I can run all the wiring around that.

92.08 KB

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  13:50:00  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I'm real excited to see how this one turns out! Are you planning to run 24V on this one?

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  14:08:32  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Yeah. Would it be better to go 1 24v batt, or 2 12's?

Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  14:37:03  Show Profile
depends on how you want to charge it? Or if you want to purchase a 24V charger :)

"Time to take a ride on the information superhighway."
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  14:38:54  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Good point.

Go to Top of Page

brynbaily
Apprentice Modder

Ohio
State Buckeye
USA

99 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  18:45:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CJB

Anyone want that white body? It's getting chucked.

If you wern't in MN I'd take it in a sec. I have that exact same car but ours is a yellow Bare Aspirin Lumina and the body is real rough. I'm interested in seeing how yours turns out, I had the same thoughts but it looked like way to much work so I ended up stuffing it in the barn

What an addiction! And I blame it entirely on you guys!

--------------------
- 36V Gaucho Grande
- 18V Ford Mustang GT
- 18V Xtreme Machine
- 12V Big Jake
- Two Cat Skidsteers
- Two Kawasaki Quads
- Peg John Deere
- OG Big Foot
- Two F-150's

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  18:53:32  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Way too much work is about right. This project has been on the back burner for a while after I got frustrated with the front axels. I called them a bunch of names, and we no longer get along.

As soon as I get out and get a new cutoff wheel for my grinder, I may revisit this in the near future. It WILL get finished. I just don't know when.

In the meatime, I picked up the Gator, and got the Silverado completed. Her racecar is no longer in the front of her mind.

Go to Top of Page

kastoo
Journeyman Modder

Lagrange
GA
USA

296 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  17:06:44  Show Profile  Send kastoo a Yahoo! Message
I wasn't able to find anything searching Ebay but I'd be careful about just chucking that Elf mobile shell. It may have been a promo for giveaways and there may not be many?

KAS
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  20:56:11  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CJB
It WILL get finished. I just don't know when.

Starting to doubt that statement. I hope I get some time this winter to bring it down to the shop and get going again. The thing that's holding me up, well... one of the things, is the front axles. The aluminum tubes I have to increase the diameter are not cooperating. Got them on halfway and they refuse to budge. I'm going to have to cut them off and start over I believe.

After that problem is resolved, I have to plan out the floor pan and find a decent seat. THEN, getting the steering column sized and bent appropriately.

BUT... I'll get to it.

Maybe

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: