These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 First one - Barbie Lil Wrangler
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  08:57:35  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
I have been frequenting this site for a while now, checking out great work and gathering ideas. I figured it was about time I get it together and put up a project page for my daughter's first PW. It's nothing spectacular - Black Friday 6:00am special. Single gearbox (for now).

62.83 KB

I just wanted to add a few LEDs to it at first. Googled around to see if anyone has thought the same. I was surprised to find there is a whole 'subculture' for PW modding. Working in an OEM electronics manufacturing plant, I have access to some cool things. The headlights are made from a 2 1/2" round pcb I had tooled up with SMT resistors and PLCC4 LEDs on it. Added some leftover amber leds for the turn signals in front, and some red ones in the back.

72.61 KB

70.46 KB

78.31 KB

I also added two big white leds to the reverse light area, wired in with the reverse wires to the motor. I also installed a peizo oscilating beeper in line with reverse. When she pops it in reverse, there are white lights and a beep beep beep sound. I thought it was cool. The wife just shook her head.

67.32 KB

So, why stop there. She needed a horn. If she drives like her mother, she'll need it. I found a Star Micronics p/n YMB-12 buzzer at work. Mounted it on a breadboard and installed it under the dash with a momentary pushbutton.

63.04 KB

63.63 KB

Now, I'm about to do the 2WD, 12V upgrade. If I was smart, I would have done that before installing all my led resistors which are calculated for 6v. I may just do up a 12v-6v converter for the lights. Or, I could use the stock PW battery solely for the lights. I haven't decided yet. Anyway, I got a new gearbox/motor at MendingShed.com (via telephone), and picked up 2 6v 12ah batts from gruber. They should be here today. While waiting for them, I picked up a few coolio add-ons from various auto parts stores. Two tail pipe dress ups, a 4x4 badge. Picked up some headlight lenses from Hobbymasters. This jeep must be the cheap-jeep, as it came with only stickers.

91.93 KB

89.48 KB

79.35 KB

78.52 KB
I was worred about the blue plastic of the lens taking away from the intensity of the leds, but it actually diffuses it quite nicely.

While doing the gearbox and 12v mod, I plan on cleaning up all the wiring, because it's personally embarassing. I also plan on stealing Johnny G's idea for bicycle pedal reflectors on the front fenders as shown in the almighty Jeep Dubster. http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1249&SearchTerms=bicycle pedal

I'll be sure to post more pics as I go, and video once the snow and ice melts here in MN.
I'm open to ideas and suggestions also if anyone wishes to chime in.

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  14:01:22  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Love the exhaust tips, very cool touch.

These Lil Jeeps on 12V rock! It's still my daughters favorite one to ride, and the wheels they come with are pretty decent off road wheels.

Are you planning just a straight 12V drop in, or are you planning to add a High/Low Switch and low speed reverse?

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  14:07:21  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Thanks. I was considering the hi-lo switch. She's still a little 'pedal shy' so that may be a good option to help get her comfortable.
Go to Top of Page

oaksap
Journeyman Modder

oakland
ca
USA

157 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  18:15:15  Show Profile
yeah, i know the head shake. i've gotten it quite often over my first two builds but she's startin to come around. sweet lights, they look pretty bright.

"She's not a crash test dummy, she's our daughter."
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  21:25:36  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Turns out my batteries and gearbox will not be here until Monday. But, one of my vendors at work hooked me up with a bunch of 14awg wire at no charge so I could get the re-wire job underway.

I HAD to do something with the silly tail lights I had on there, so I began with that last night. Got some Piranha leds from DigiKey (LP377FWH1-60G-ND). Mounted three on a breadboard and ploped them into some clearance lights I got at Auto Zone.

89.32 KB

67.61 KB

80.62 KB

83.4 KB

Today I gutted all the wiring and replaced the factory 18 awg with the 14 awg. Followed the diagram I found in the Batteries & Wiring faq. I installed a high/low rocker switch on the left side of the dash. When trying to put the dash back on the car, it dawned on me that I overlooked a clearance issue. Nothing a dremmel and a cutoff wheel can't fix. Little Chloe came out while pink plastic was a flyin' and went off on dad. YOU'RE BREAKING MY JEEP!!! I got it all worked out and finished most of the wiring.

84.17 KB

84.99 KB

94.57 KB

All set for the drivetrain and battery install. Looks like I'll have to do some 'minor adjustments' to get the batteries in there. I had originally planned on using two 6v 12ah batts for the motors, and the stock 6v blue to run the accessories. Not sure how that's goign to pan out yet. I may have to mount the pw battery under the back somewhere, cuz that all ain't going to fit under the hood. I don't think anyway. We'll find out on Monday.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  09:20:51  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Looking real good. The same thing happened to me when I mounted my High/Low Switch in that place, I totally overlooked the body side mounting post that stuck up in there, but like you said, nothing a dremel and cut off wheel couldn't take care of.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
Go to Top of Page

glht_omni
Journeyman Modder

426 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  21:39:00  Show Profile
looks very good! i picked up a really clean 1 mos. old barbie jammin jeep for $50 off CL. all i really want to do with it is put LED headlights and pink LED underglow lights on it for her, but after seeing yours, i think i want some turn signals and chrome exhaust tips on it, that looks sharp! good job.

6x4 limo bus jeep, 12v, 16t, silverado tires, 24v extreme machine, 21t gearboxes, vw barbie LED bug 12v, kandy blue 18v harley, lil quad 12v leds, VW tinker bug, barbie jammin LED jeep
gaucho grande 18v, silverado 18v, 21T gearboxes,
silverado 18v, 19t gearboxes
kidtraxx corvette yellow #3 24v, bypassed controller
berchet porsche carerra 6v RIP (parting out),
power rider jeff gordan nascar 24v
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  18:13:25  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Anyone have any pics of how they crammed 2 6v 12ah's into a lil wrangler? I could use some ideas. Obviously there will be cutting involved, but I want to keep it minimal.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  19:16:54  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CJB

Anyone have any pics of how they crammed 2 6v 12ah's into a lil wrangler? I could use some ideas. Obviously there will be cutting involved, but I want to keep it minimal.

I did it without cutting, I just layed them down on top, and left the stock battery hole empty. These are 12AH 6V Grubers and I used industrial strength velcro to hold them in place. It takes a lot of force to pry them off when I do need to remove them. This picture was taken before I secured them down with the velcro, so they were just laying loosely, but that is the basic position they are in right now.

Edited by - gseric69 on 02/23/2009 19:43:49
Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  19:22:33  Show Profile
Yeah I have 2 12V 8ah wired in parallel and they fit the same way.

I did have 1 12V 8ah but it kept running out way before the 12V 12ah in the big foot. I got sick of pushing the jeep home. Now it runs a lot longer.

"Time to take a ride on the information superhighway."

Edited by - sdubb on 02/23/2009 19:25:05
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  19:38:29  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Thanks, guys!

I may have to adjust my terminal blocks, but I'll be sure to try this.
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  19:55:45  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Woohoo! They fit! No mods required.

If I cut those retainer slots out of the original battery tray, I'll be able to store lil blue underneath the two.

Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  08:11:16  Show Profile
Are you planning 18V on these? I think its unadvised and that 12V is best with these motors and gearboxes. I think most are running 18V on the bigger gearboxes number 7 Unless I totally missed something.

Edit: Maybe I misunderstood. The blue battery will just be placed in there for backup??

Edited by - sdubb on 02/24/2009 08:17:10
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  08:44:46  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
The #3s can handle 18V sometimes. The older quads have 3Bs and I've run 18V on them with standard motors, and 12V with super 6 without having any problems with them.
I tried 18V as a quick test once on my Lil Jeep, and it was too fast for my daughter. She had asked for it to go faster to keep up with the quad, but once she tried it on 18V she didn't like it at all.

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  09:05:33  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
I plan on using the blue battery for the accessories to prolong the runtime. I have all the lights and stuff wired on a different circuit. Provided it doesn't become too front-heavy.
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  09:23:26  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CJB

I plan on using the blue battery for the accessories to prolong the runtime. I have all the lights and stuff wired on a different circuit. Provided it doesn't become too front-heavy.

It should be ok with a passenger in it the weight is distributed pretty evenly.

Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  10:26:25  Show Profile
To funny this topic came up. I placed the super sixes in my lil jeep. Its pretty fast but the funny thing is when going in reverse FAST when he stops the front end lifts up a little. I think if I had accesories and that blue battery might keep the front down.

Sounds like you are making a lot of head way and having fun. Probably more fun than the kid (like all of us)

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  10:43:01  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
An enjoyable hobby I never would have otherwise thought to persue.

The little one is a good helper. She helped put the wheels and gearboxes on last night. She also now knows the difference between a pliers and a wire stripper. I don't think I could say the same for the wife.
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  12:25:43  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CJB

The little one is a good helper. She helped put the wheels and gearboxes on last night. She also now knows the difference between a pliers and a wire stripper. I don't think I could say the same for the wife.

LOL, the same applies in my household too.

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  16:33:55  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Took 'er out on the 'maiden voyage' today after work. Boy that thing really scoots on 12v.

I think the 30 degree weather was a factor, but Chloe thought it was a bit too fast just yet.

We're expecting 5-8" of snow tomorrow, so I had to take advantage of the bare pavement while it lasts. I'll try to get some video after the next thaw.
Go to Top of Page

cfanto
Journeyman Modder

Tracy
CA
USA

406 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  00:36:41  Show Profile  Visit cfanto's Homepage  Send cfanto a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by CJB
Working in an OEM electronics manufacturing plant, I have access to some cool things. The headlights are made from a 2 1/2" round pcb I had tooled up with SMT resistors and PLCC4 LEDs on it...

You have a way to fabricate these? I actually thought about making my own round circuit boards by etching a copper blank after transferring a circuit template onto it or manually drawing one on.

If you ever planned on selling these, how much would they be? I'm actually interested if the price is right.

BTW, nice job on the mod!

PowerWheels - Jeep Wrangler (74440) - Red Wrangler - unibody Jeep w/ 18V, #4 gearbox retrofit
PowerWheels - Dune Squad (74570) - Yellow Jeep - metal-framed Jeep w/ 18V, LED lights, #7 gearboxes, brake pedal
PowerWheels - Wrangler 98 (78490) - Army Jeep - unibody Jeep w/ 12V, OD painted, brake pedal, rubber tires
PowerWheels - Grey/Pace Exclusive (86270) - metal-framed Jeep - currently stock
Peg Perego - Gaucho Grande (HP252) - 70's-style Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 - 18V, LED lighting, brake pedal, front & rear traction-aids
PowerWheels - X-Treme Machine (74790) - painted, 18V w/ 24V NOS, 19T #7 gearbox, brake pedal, front traction-aids
PowerWheels - Hot Wheels Rally Kart (xxxxx) - 18V in process
PowerWheels - Hot Wheels Rally Kart (xxxxx) - currently stock
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  04:50:26  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
I have 4 pcb's left. They were originally done up as a prototype for a light on an RC heli.

The LEDs are the factor to determine cost. The ones on here are .22 ea high-flux ultra bright. There are cheaper ones out there though.

I can put together a quote if you're interested.
Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  10:16:43  Show Profile
I think A LOT of us would be interested. More quantity equals lower price right

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  10:24:06  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
well... 70 leds per pcb, .22/led...

you do the math. Add the pcb costs and stuff, and you're looking at around $45/set.

It would be possible to do up a board with thru-holes for some 4-DIP package leds (like my tail lights). Less leds would make a cheaper assembly. I would reccomend getting a breadboard from radio shack or DigiKey, and getting some leds and making your own.

If there was enough interest however, I could run production.
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  10:31:24  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
found these at radio shack...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3173937
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  13:11:53  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CJB

found these at radio shack...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3173937

Those are the ones I used to make my lights. Very easy to use.

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  19:16:25  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Just thought I'd post a few pics...

Here's how I fit in 'lil blue

90.93 KB

99.82 KB

99.2 KB

Edited by - CJB on 02/26/2009 19:17:29
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  19:36:06  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Very nice! Man that's a lot of snow!

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  20:03:07  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Just took on another 6" today. And it's still comming. Gotta love Minnesota.

If I could just figure out a way to slap a snowplow on the jeep, I could have Chloe plow the driveway for me.

Edited by - CJB on 02/26/2009 21:08:16
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  12:27:31  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Chloe insisted I replace the barbie hood sticker with this fairy one.

82.27 KB

Also added some reflectors to the front fenders and the sides.

84.93 KB

86.5 KB
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  19:13:39  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Chloe demanded a seatbelt. I went to Fleet Farm (like a Tractor Supply store) and picked up a big ol' dog collar. Made a few slits in the seats and bolted the straps to some underbody supports. Nothing special, just want to show another use for a dog collar...

63.85 KB

forgive the fuzziness...

49.43 KB

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado
Polaris 2X ; Polaris 700; Xtreme Machine ; 12v Super 6 Firerock
Gaucho Grande; Tinkerbell Ninja; 12v S6 Trail Rider; Brute Force 24v
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  05:56:18  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
It's funny how kids pick up on things like seat belts. My nephew always makes sure that his is "buckled" when he's driving.

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  09:59:52  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Just had to add a pic of the voltage display, since this is after all, the project page.

Insert Image:

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado

Edited by - CJB on 03/21/2009 10:00:27
Go to Top of Page

vman

Cincinnati
OH

19 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  12:14:16  Show Profile
Very cool looking jeep! I want to add lights to my daughters but i'm by no means an electrical genius. Any thoughts on where to start or how to run everything? The battery is the standard 12V battery that came with it. Also wanted to up the voltage to 18V but the wife saw the neighbors kid in a little F150 flying through through the street and said no (imagine that)!
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  16:35:03  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Thanks!

If you don't have much experience with electronics, one of the easiest things to do is to get pre-wired led clusters. There are some threads on here that discuss taking apart cheap led flashlights.

Alternatively, you can buy pre-wired single leds off eBay and arrange as desired. Since you're running 12v this may be a good option, as the resistors are already installed.

Or, you can get led's in bulk, calculate the resistor values (there is a good website that takes care of the math for you) and solder the resistors on, and wire as desired.

Other members have decided to go with the absolutely fool proof way and use those self-adhesive stick-n-click led puck lights. You can score them in a 3 pack for about 10 bucks I think.

Take some time and browse through as many project pages as you have time for, and you're bound to see something that will work perfectly for your skill level.

If you have no desire to venture into the electronics arena, I could be hired build you something that would arrive in your mailbox pretty much 'plug and play'. Just email me if you decide to go this route.

There is a ton of LED and electrical wiring information in the FAQ's. Make sure you get around to reading through it and you'll learn a lot. And always be sure to post any questions you can't find the answers to. There are plenty of electronics gurus here. We'll get you taken care of.

Go to Top of Page

vman

Cincinnati
OH

19 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  18:35:44  Show Profile
Thanks for all the input. It defininately points me in the right direction. I can assume that I could wire the lights to a switch to turn off and on as needed, and maybe best tied to a seperate 6V battery? I know they won't draw much but don't want to run down the main battery in case they leave the lights on by mistake.
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  18:43:43  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Exactly.

I find the seperate accessory battery is handy. If you're only doing a few leds (10 or less maybe), I wouldn't bother with it though.

Go to Top of Page

vman

Cincinnati
OH

19 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  19:16:18  Show Profile
CJB, thanks for all the help. Looking at some of the threads on the lighting I found some places people were recommending and types. If i buy the plug and play with the resistor already in place i should be able to wire them together and then into the wiring from the old battery or the new one if needed? Again, I'm no expert and the last thing i want to do is wire things up wrong and have the thing burn up!
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  04:20:13  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
'Pre-resistored' led setups will be easy. Red to red, black to black. They'll all be wired in parallel. I think the majority of prewired leds are calculated for 12v. Keep it around that voltage, and you'll be golden.

Wire a switch on the + line between the battery and the leds. For multiple led setups, I like to use terminal blocks. It helps keep the wiring organized and clean looking.

Go to Top of Page

vman

Cincinnati
OH

19 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  06:40:59  Show Profile
How much trouble would it be to give a quick and dirty schematic of the wiring layout? I figure the lights would all be the same based on a single wiring layout? Again I appreciate all the help!
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  07:37:11  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by vman

How much trouble would it be to give a quick and dirty schematic of the wiring layout? I figure the lights would all be the same based on a single wiring layout? Again I appreciate all the help!

Quick and dirty. You got it.

22.15 KB

Again, this is assuming the led's are pre-wired with a resistor calculated for 12v

Edited by - CJB on 05/11/2009 07:42:28
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  07:39:15  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
I'll try to make them less phalic looking next time. Although, you DID request 'dirty'.

Edited by - CJB on 05/11/2009 07:43:09
Go to Top of Page

vman

Cincinnati
OH

19 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  08:51:44  Show Profile
You got me there - I did say dirty! But the concept is very workable. One last question regarding a terminal block - how would the wiring look? And dirty is still okay!
Go to Top of Page

vman

Cincinnati
OH

19 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  08:57:27  Show Profile
And I could use the breadboard from radio shack as you mentioned in a previous post and slide the LED's through them to make my own?
Go to Top of Page

jeepjeep

maple grove
mn
USA

20 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  09:06:38  Show Profile
Hey C,

Did you barbie running 2wd n 12v?
i suppose your busy playing with your gator... see what happens when i don't scan cragslist for a few days... at least it went to a good home.
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  09:22:03  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
In this example, there are two switches - one controls the left sets and one the right sets. You could make this front/back, top/bottom, etc...

46.68 KB

The terminal block is just an easy to run multiple circuits. It's not needed unless the wiring is either getting to complicated and looking like a bowl of spaghetti, or you would like to remove certain sets of lights easily from the vehicle easily and reinstall them at a later date without cutting up your wires.

The breadboard is an easy way to do led clusters. gseric69 and a few others have great examples of headlights they've made from scratch using a breadboard. It keeps them evenly spaced and easily configurable. You may not be able to get prewired leds through the holes of a breadboard, however. I've never tried.

EDIT: I'll take some pics tonight of the terminal block setup I have in the Silverado. I have 3 TB's in there running 216 leds on 4 switches. I also use the terminal posts to connect common grounds in addition to the positive lines. Scrap pieces of wire make good jumpers.

Edited by - CJB on 05/11/2009 09:37:32
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  09:23:48  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CJB

I'll try to make them less phalic looking next time. Although, you DID request 'dirty'.

I like the dirty version

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  09:24:29  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jeepjeep

Hey C,

Did you barbie running 2wd n 12v?
i suppose your busy playing with your gator... see what happens when i don't scan cragslist for a few days... at least it went to a good home.

LoL you snooze you loose. j/k

Yes, it's running 2wd with #3A's. 12v with a hi/lo switch that alters the batteries' wiring. I have the original lil blue batt tucked underneath to run the lights and accessories at 6v.

Edited by - CJB on 05/11/2009 09:28:51
Go to Top of Page

vman

Cincinnati
OH

19 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  09:44:45  Show Profile
Thanks for all the assistance CJB - gives me something to do this weekend! And what size wire would be best for the lighting?

Edited by - vman on 05/11/2009 10:11:27
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  10:15:06  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
I use 20awg for the lights. They're only pulling about 20mA each. You could even go smaller if you had the patience to deal with small wire.

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  17:12:57  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by vman

Thanks for all the assistance CJB - gives me something to do this weekend! And what size wire would be best for the lighting?

I posted some wiring pics on my Silverado page for you.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8200&whichpage=2

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: