These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Read This First (FAQ's)
 Twist Throttle Turbo -To Button Turbo
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  20:26:13  Show Profile
I DO NOT like the twist throttle on the Kaw KFX. IF you like the twist then you don't have to worry about this or if your kid is missing his right thumb. This is going to be a log about how to change it from a twist to a button for FREE. Hopefully others will benefit from this also. If you find errors I will fix them or if you think something can be done better please add it.

Here goes...

STOCK

42.47 KB

First remove the handle grip on the right side this can be done with soap or an air compressor (google it if you don't know how)next remove the screws from the handle bar. There are 2 under the sticker. I used a utility knife to cut out the circles to get to the screws. They are 3 on the right and 1 on the left.

43.85 KB

and this is what you should have now. You need to remove the cap nut on the steering rod.

42.69 KB

this is what it should look like now with the metal steering bars removed (they pull straight out).

47.09 KB

if your high speed is connected you need to disconnect it (2 white wires connected to a red and white wire)

34.26 KB
Now pull the wiring out and remove the gray/silver plastic bars.

41.81 KB
it makes it easier to work on if you get this connector out of the bars just use some pressure it will come out.

76.96 KB
now here is what we will be modifying

41.72 KB

"Time to take a ride on the information superhighway."

Edited by - gameboy on 01/11/2009 11:22:53

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  20:27:48  Show Profile
now this is where it gets fun (interesting) whatever you want to call it. This is how I did it but you can do whatever you want. This is what it looks like after the 2 screws are removed

48.58 KB
Now the spring will be removed (I did not want it to twist at all) The skinny black part will be cut off because we are rotating it. It was taller because it went thru a slot for the twisting. Anyway remove the button. Here is what we have BEFORE the rotation!

39.27 KB

and now after the rotation the black part fits perfectly between 2 stops and it wont twist anymore.

40.52 KB
THIS IS THE VERY CRITICAL BUTTON PLACEMENT The button can not be to high because it will interfere with the metal handlebar that has to go thru it. It can not be to low or it the drivers thumb wont be able to reach it.Also if its to far to the right it will hit against the yellow inner circle and will not sit flush against the encasing.
I drew a box of a decent placement its right where the screw goes thru so you will lose this screw but one should hold it fine. and yes my hole in this pic is WRONG do not do what I did.

35.85 KB

because I wanted the button so close to the handle grip and was not thinking I had to do a whole lot of extra work

49.48 KB

This is a better pic of what should be done! The button is now placed in the middle of the screw hole like I stated above. You will still have to cut some of the plastic twist throttle to make it fit.

43.13 KB
Now you are done and can reassemble everything just follow the steps you used to take it apart.
This is what it looks like all put back together like it came from the factory that way

71.86 KB
I hope it works out for you. If you do do it let me know how it goes. Thanks

Edited by - sdubb on 01/10/2009 22:15:45
Go to Top of Page

Joey3754
Apprentice Modder

Converse
Texas
USA

60 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  22:58:29  Show Profile
I did this exact project last week on the super shock. That part on the twist thottle that you cut away just broke off on ours so the twist didn't do anything. I've had it bypassed for about six months. Just decided to use the button when I made it 18volts. I was going to post it but you did a better job than I would have!!!
Go to Top of Page

Travvy
Journeyman Modder

Tillsonburg
Ontario
Canada

281 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  00:36:38  Show Profile
very nice mod and cudos for a great write up

Those little motors can do that?
Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  08:46:10  Show Profile
Thanks guys! I knew some people didn't like it and some of the kids didn't understand that twist part. I figured I would contribute to the forums that's why I took lots of pictures and tried to remember everything so that others could benefit.

Joey, so does your grip still twist???

Edited by - sdubb on 01/11/2009 08:47:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: