These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Rubber tire veterans
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wheres
Journeyman Modder

Cary
NC
USA

475 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  12:34:31  Show Profile  Send wheres a Yahoo! Message
I need your help - I got a free escalade the other day, and I had some 13" rubber tires I was really planning to put on one of my jeeps, but I decided to slap them on the caddy instead. (boy it's ugly that way) Anyhow, I used the rubber reducer fittings in the back with the hose clamps to connect the wheels to the gearboxes. Like in this borrowed picture:

29.21 KB

The gearboxes are 16Ts from an eliminator, and I've got it set up on 24V with a Bonner Governor.. though I am not sure if I am really getting the soft start or not. I'll talk more about that and post pics when I post a project thread for this.

On the first run down the road it did great - fast but not too fast (16T gbs + 13" tires slows it down a bit) and of course there's no tire noise and the kids loved it. Then they tried it in the yard and the first time they got up against any slope at all those reducer fittings started slipping on the gearbox side.. I thought, np, I'll just tighten them up some more. Now they just want to still slip or jump off the gearbox completely. I could probably tighten even more, but it's getting to the point that I am worried it's going to start cracking the toothed ring that sticks out of the gearbox.

Has anyone else who has mounted rubber tires this way had this issue? and how tight did you have to go before it worked? and has anyone done what I am worried about, broken the gearbox by cranking that hose clamp too tight? Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

"where's muh tools..."

92.05 KB

metal frame sahara @ 18V
metal frame safari @ 18V
maroon firebird metal frame wrangler @ 12V (2 pedal)
Baby Baja beetle @12V
Peg Perego Quad w/Gaucho motors and tires @12V
Custom 6WD ARGO/ROVER/TANK
Pink Harley
Black Harley Drag Trike
Extreme Machine - 21Ts 12V

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  19:42:25  Show Profile
it would seem that you need to put a spacer in the inner hub of the gearbox to give the clamp something to tighten against instead of just bending them inward.

get a hole saw and cut a hole out the size of the inside diameter of the drive gear teeth, slide it on and clamp against that so it stays tight and loosen the wheel side to let the amount of slip you need.
Go to Top of Page

chiefdan73
Journeyman Modder

waterford
michigan
USA

348 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  00:31:11  Show Profile
I had to tighten mine pretty tight and the guy I got the mod from said to screw the hose clamp to the outdrive
I cut a piece of 3/4 (I think)pvc pipe to the length of the distance from your plastic outdrive to the inside of the fernco(coupler)then use a jigsaw and cut a strip out,when you tighten the hose clamps,you will tighten the pvc(closing the i.d.)this works basically how a servo saver works for rc cars
email me if you need picts
I got a rubber tired jeep just got to get the vid up of it running in 2 inches of snow
Go to Top of Page

wheres
Journeyman Modder

Cary
NC
USA

475 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  06:54:48  Show Profile  Send wheres a Yahoo! Message
thanks for the good design tips.. I think in the end though I am gonna take out the PW gearboxes and go with a 250W scooter motor and chain drive on this caddy, though I've got a 4wd jeep planned where I'll be using the rubber fittings again. Chiefdan, I could definitely use some pics - I'll pm you shortly. Thanks!

"where's muh tools..."

92.05 KB

metal frame sahara @ 18V
metal frame safari @ 18V
maroon firebird metal frame wrangler @ 12V (2 pedal)
Baby Baja beetle @12V
Peg Perego Quad w/Gaucho motors and tires @12V
Custom 6WD ARGO/ROVER/TANK
Pink Harley
Black Harley Drag Trike
Extreme Machine - 21Ts 12V
Go to Top of Page

flashover52

Southwest
WA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  22:47:15  Show Profile
Chiefdan73 -- can you post pics of your set up? I did my first rubber tire mod on a cheap jeep but without having a nice metal break, I had to resort to a C-clamp on the work bench in order to make the bends on the aluminum stand off for mine.

I sure wish to know if there is an easier way. Reading your post has me wondering if I could use a piece of 3/4" PVC and a bushing, plastic welded to a piece of 1/4" thick sheet cut to fit in the rim which would secure the bolts.

My current arrangement isn't 100% even so the tire wobbles a bit and I don't want to ruin the original 6V gear box. I'll be upgrading it in the near future to two 12 v motors/boxes and want to do it right.

60.56 KB

49.98 KB
Go to Top of Page

chiefdan73
Journeyman Modder

waterford
michigan
USA

348 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  21:50:13  Show Profile
my mod wont work on this one it is an off brand and the outdrives are different,I think what you did is your best bet,maybee add another bar to each.
I dont know what the gearbox looks like where the outdrive plugs in on yours ,but you could make your own outdrive.
and yes if it is wobbling you will tear up those gearboxes
and in power wheels I did not find much of an improvement in rubber tires till I bumped up to 18v(wich is definately not a good idea with that jeep)
you live in michigan flashover52?I almost bought one of those jeeps
Go to Top of Page

flashover52

Southwest
WA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  09:02:31  Show Profile
I'm in WA.

What are folks using to make thier own outdrives? I saw a pic in another post where somebody drilled out the wheel driver and elongated the four bolts holding the rim together. That way the four bolts on the rim fell into the four slots on the wheel driver. The wheel driver looked something like this one: http://www.mendingshed.com/wheeldriver1.html

Maybe I'll order a couple of those and see what I can make with these.

Thanks for the respone.
Go to Top of Page

chiefdan73
Journeyman Modder

waterford
michigan
USA

348 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  09:26:56  Show Profile
can you post a pict or email it to me of where the flange hooks into the the gearbox,if you can use the power wheels outdrives from mending shed I can get you a pdf file with step by step instructions on how to do the conversion
Go to Top of Page

chevytuner
Apprentice Modder

Minerva
Ohio

78 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  15:40:59  Show Profile
I put rubber tires on a Lil Wrangler. Here's pictures of what I did. My kids have ridden this jeep like this since the winter of 2007. NOTHING has broken, so far. I converted it to 12 volts and two gearboxes from a barbie jeep. I used everthing from it, including the wiring harness.

Insert Image:

85.94 KB

98.53 KB

Insert Image:

Insert Image:

2 xtreme machines
2 Red Silverados
1 Ninja quad
1 Barbie Jeep
1 12v Lil' Wrangler w/rubber tires
1 6v Enforcer Jeep
2 Metal-framed Jeeps
1 Red Harley

Edited by - chevytuner on 10/25/2009 16:33:19
Go to Top of Page

flashover52

Southwest
WA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  17:47:29  Show Profile
I'm on version 2 with my mount.

Here's what I started with. I took the standard PW wheel driver and drilled two holes in the 'cup'. I bent a piece of aluminum and screwed it to the wheel driver.

40.25 KB

I then used a couple of bolts to fasten the bent aluminum to the rim. Trying to get this perfectly square was not very fun. So I decided to try something similar to others here.

47.87 KB

I started with a Peg Perego wheel driver. Much different in comparison to the PW wheel driver and out of the box, the slots that catch the wheel driver to the gear box seemed to 'mesh.'

35.18 KB

I was planning on using the 4-long bolt method described above but when I measured the inner diameter of the Peg Perego wheel driver and held it against the rim of the rubber tires, a little dremel work and presto....it would fit right over the top.

Dremel'd version on the left and new version on the right. I basicially removed the protrusions.

50.85 KB

Next, I simply pushed the Peg Perego wheel driver onto the rim and used a sheet metal screw to hold it onto the tire. I've only got one on there now and haven't taken it for a test ride yet so I may add another one. You can barely see the sheet metal screw towards the right.

33.52 KB

Go to Top of Page

chevytuner
Apprentice Modder

Minerva
Ohio

78 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  13:58:43  Show Profile
Here's some pictures I found on the internet of a modified extreme machine...and no, it's not my work, but I copied it for mounting the 13" tires.

Insert Image:

Insert Image:

2 xtreme machines
2 Red Silverados
1 Ninja quad
1 Barbie Jeep
1 6v Enforcer Jeep
2 Metal-framed Jeeps
1 Red Harley

Edited by - chevytuner on 10/25/2009 17:50:31
Go to Top of Page

chevytuner
Apprentice Modder

Minerva
Ohio

78 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  16:16:46  Show Profile
Flashover52, where did you get those wheel drivers? They look like they have a lot of possibilities. I'd like to get a pair to try on the 13" tires. The 13" tires use 5 bolts and they're spaced wider.

37.7 KB

2 xtreme machines
2 Red Silverados
1 Ninja quad
1 Barbie Jeep
1 6v Enforcer Jeep
2 Metal-framed Jeeps
1 Red Harley

Edited by - chevytuner on 02/26/2009 16:18:26
Go to Top of Page

chevytuner
Apprentice Modder

Minerva
Ohio

78 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  17:08:10  Show Profile
ttt

2 xtreme machines
2 Red Silverados
1 Ninja quad
1 Barbie Jeep
1 6v Enforcer Jeep
2 Metal-framed Jeeps
1 Red Harley

Go to Top of Page

drew510
Senior Modder

Portland
OR

1079 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  17:26:10  Show Profile
Driver - http://tinyurl.com/dyx9ne

Finished Projects:
F150 4x4 Off Road turned Oregon State Beavers - http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19323
TRU Bigfoot turned Oregon Ducks: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14563
Jeep Wrangler (78490) http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11606
Ford F150 (C3493) US MARINES - http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7264
Go to Top of Page

drew510
Senior Modder

Portland
OR

1079 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  17:29:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by flashover52

Next, I simply pushed the Peg Perego wheel driver onto the rim and used a sheet metal screw to hold it onto the tire. I've only got one on there now and haven't taken it for a test ride yet so I may add another one. You can barely see the sheet metal screw towards the right.

33.52 KB

Do the holes not line up on that driver with the bolts of the wheel? That might be a better option for strength...

Finished Projects:
F150 4x4 Off Road turned Oregon State Beavers - http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19323
TRU Bigfoot turned Oregon Ducks: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14563
Jeep Wrangler (78490) http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11606
Ford F150 (C3493) US MARINES - http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7264
Go to Top of Page

chevytuner
Apprentice Modder

Minerva
Ohio

78 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  18:42:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by drew510

Driver - http://tinyurl.com/dyx9ne

Thanks for info. I spent the other day searching EVERY website that had anything to do with Peg Perego trying to locate it since he said it was a PP driver. I never thought to check Power Wheels.

2 xtreme machines
2 Red Silverados
1 Ninja quad
1 Barbie Jeep
1 6v Enforcer Jeep
2 Metal-framed Jeeps
1 Red Harley

Go to Top of Page

flashover52

Southwest
WA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  15:43:28  Show Profile
I got them from Mending Shed. I ordered two of multiple types. Those seemed to work the best. Now that I'm looking at them some more, I guess it's actually a PW Wheel Driver and not a Peg Perego....

http://www.mendingshed.com/k8285-2279.html - $3.95 each ( I actually ordered 3 in case I messed one up) It's also used as teh F-150 wheel driver.

Surprisingly, that wheel driver does fit in the PW gear box slots. However, they don't fit perfectly.....due to the pattern, there is only one position that they slid in real good. It took a few tries to fit the patterns together.

I've also noticed that the gearbox wobbles a bit as the tire rotates. I have it on video but need to find time to post the video somewhere so I can link to it. I don't know if it's because I don't have a bearing on the inside of the wheel driver so the axle slops around a bit. I need to find one that fits. I ended up using the standard PW flange bearings and wrapped them in electrical tape to get a larger OD that fit in the metal rim bearing hole.

I just finished up the servo for my steering channel and am waiting on some new motors from http://www.robotmarketplace.com/. I ordered the darn things back in early January. I called a week and a half ago and they told me the items were just being packed to ship. I still haven't seen the silly things...... As soon as they get here, it will be R/C Jeep Wrangler time.

Edited by - flashover52 on 03/01/2009 15:52:52
Go to Top of Page

flashover52

Southwest
WA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  15:46:14  Show Profile
quote:

Do the holes not line up on that driver with the bolts of the wheel? That might be a better option for strength...

No, the bolt holes on the wheel driver are too much of a smidge too big. I looked at it closely and even considered trying it but even with some all-thread, the bolts would be at an awkard angle.

The wheel driver was pushed onto the rim pretty tight to begin with. The two sheet metal screws seem to be more than adequate. The sheet metal screws are a bit bigger than the one screw on one of our other Peg Perego wheels.
Go to Top of Page

chevytuner
Apprentice Modder

Minerva
Ohio

78 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  06:32:13  Show Profile
Thanks, Flashover52. I believe you've found the best driver and maybe the best way to mount the little 10" tire and wheel that I've seen. I'm ordering some and going to experiment on the larger 13" tire and wheel. They have a 5 bolt pattern, which I may or may not need to use.

2 xtreme machines
2 Red Silverados
1 Ninja quad
1 Barbie Jeep
1 6v Enforcer Jeep
2 Metal-framed Jeeps
1 Red Harley

Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  16:44:47  Show Profile
I've kept this thread in mind for my next rubber tire project.
I'm planning on putting them on the KFX soon, but the Gator needs them more...

(I did the Escalade almost exactly like Wil's CD said to - and it's still working)

So first, I picked up a couple of the F-150 drivers.
But I made a few extra cuts.

Before (from Flashover52):

25.85 KB

After:

63.89 KB

Then insert the wheel hub, and crank down the pipe clamp:

70.76 KB

This way there is still the potential for a bit of slippage, as per Wil's design - and it fits nice and compactly under the fenders!

I'll post more pictures in the KFX thread when the real tires come in.

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

Jeep-Power

North Plainfield
NJ
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  08:46:38  Show Profile
Tanks for the link Divinar!

Thanks for all the info folks!

TallPeter-
My 1:1 Crawler
My 2.2 Crawler