These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Super Power Apache! (Police Jeep) - Video Added
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

coil50
Apprentice Modder

delphos
oh
USA

80 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  18:19:13  Show Profile
where did you get those led lights on the roll bar at?

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11053

spiderman lil quad(stock)
John deere tractor(stock)
Barbie jeep gone wild(under construction)

Edited by - coil50 on 09/10/2009 18:21:41
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  19:21:27  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by coil50

where did you get those led lights on the roll bar at?

From one of those Chinese Ebay stores. They have a lot of stuff though, and prices were good.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/qianqian-us42__W0QQ_armrsZ1

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page

ms1120
Senior Modder

M-Town
Georgia
USA

1464 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  19:07:40  Show Profile
Geeze...Is your driver ever coming to town? I wanna see that machine run already. I even bought popcorn and M&Ms to watch the video.

Fixing things that arent broken...and making them cool
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  20:03:06  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ms1120

Geeze...Is your driver ever coming to town? I wanna see that machine run already. I even bought popcorn and M&Ms to watch the video.

Wasn't able to get him up this weekend. I would have tried today, but it's pouring outside right now. I think we had about four inches of rain so far, and it's not letting up. Well, next weekend we'll definitely have some drivers over for the birthday party, so hopefully you can hold out just a wee bit longer

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  13:50:12  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
My replacement blue LEDs finally arrived, so I was able to complete rollbar lights v2.0. Hopefully these will now be 2 year old proof. I have a stockpile of 47 extra blue LEDs now, so it looks like the Fire Truck will be lit up quite nicely.

Go to Top of Page

rollndice83
Expert Modder

Lansdale
PA
USA

850 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  13:52:24  Show Profile
Nice! I got all excited when i saw you posted something new.....Thought we had a video

When 18V is to slow...Time to go to 50cc quads
88 Super 6Volt Corvette Project
90 Suzuki Quad Super6 on 12V
12V F-150
12V Suzuki 3-Wheeler(2WD Super6)Current Project
Lifted Fire Rescue Jeep(Upgrading to 21T 18V)
WildThing Super6 Volt
12V Harley(WIP)
Original 6V PW Hot Rod

Edited by - rollndice83 on 09/15/2009 13:53:14
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  12:51:36  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I finally got my nephew up here, and after riding all the others, he was finally ready to try the Apache. I tried explaining to him as best I could that the more you press on the pedal, the faster it will go, but he is having trouble with it. I kept it on low speed so he could get a better feel for it, but he still was barely pushin the pedal down the whole time. He made it halfway around the yard, and then decided to take dead aim for the swing set!
I got him to stop just a few inches shy of hitting a pole thank goodness. After that he decided to give up. He's not one to keep trying if it doesn't work the way he likes the first time. I'm hoping now that Olivia has seen him drive it, she'll want to try it, but I'm not going to hold my breath. If they do try again, I'll try to get some video.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  20:25:49  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Way to go Olivia!!!
About 90 minutes after my nephew parked the Apache, Olivia hopped in and decided she wanted to drive it. I have her a quick lesson on how it worked and she was off. At first she didn't like it because it was too slow, but after a few times, I got it to connect with her the more she pushed on the pedal, the faster it would go. After about 1/4 lap, I shifted it into high speed for her, and she was off. She was still having difficulty pressing the pedal all the way down, but even if she wasn't, it was still pretty fast. I must say though, it wasn't quite as fast as I was expecting, and I attribute that to the gearing of the Super Power gearboxes. After all, on 24V, they are only supposed to go 7.5 MPH (best case scenario). I'm thinking that on flat hard surfaces, it will go faster as well.

Things I noticed: The Super Power Wheels are awesome. The traction is fantastic on grass and pavement. No sliding at all. They are very quiet too. Coupled with the quiet Super Power Motors, and this thing purrs. It's faster than the John Deere Gaucho on 18V. Olivia was passing Connor on it even with all the turns, bumps and surface changes they were driving on here, it still outran it, and I'm not even sure she was alway giving it full throttle.

So, here's the long awaiting video. My camera battery was dying again, so I didn't get as much as I would have liked, so maybe tomorrow I'll get some better shots.

Edited by - gseric69 on 09/19/2009 20:27:00
Go to Top of Page

firestarter

palmetto
fl
USA

34 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  21:10:15  Show Profile
I love what you did with it. I have one of my own the i actually drive round.

Firestarter
Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  22:18:02  Show Profile
That's awesome. I really like the part when Olivia took off and Robbie fell mostly because if you look at the brake lights you can kind of see it coming.

The really bad thing about this video is I am upset I didn't get that Super Power when I had the chance.

"Time to take a ride on the information superhighway."
Go to Top of Page

Skelly
Journeyman Modder

Spring Grove
PA
USA

144 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  05:56:52  Show Profile
The rims look crazy when they are driving. It is a great looking machine.
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  08:23:15  Show Profile
Great job Eric. Turned out great. Now we need to get some drag races of the JD off road and the apache. I may just be up for making my latest find a super power JD off road. hmmm doesnt that sound sweet.

Click picture to view project blog!!
Go to Top of Page

Grant
Senior Modder

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

1820 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  16:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Grant's Homepage
Looks great, canít wait to see them push it too the limits.

I am also keen to see it in a drag race with the Gaucho. BTW, what battery configuration do you have in your JD gaucho?

http://www.youtube.com/GauchoDrift
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  16:48:26  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Thanks!
Well day 2 turned out much better. Any doubts I had on the speed were put to rest when my 8 year old neighbor took the wheel. She's pretty light, I think weighing in around 50lbs, and she took off like a bat out of he** on it. I now know for sure Olivia and Connor weren't pushing the gas pedal all the way down.
I'm very happy with the speed to say the least!

The kids all had a blast today, only a couple of incidents. Olivia crashed the Apache into a tree when Connor cut her off, but she wasn't going too fast. The front license plate cracked on one side, but it's an easy fix. Also one of the rollbar lights fell off. I guess I didn't have it screwed in tight enough and the screw backed out. Unfortunately when it fell back, I think it broke one of the wires to the LED board, so I'm going to have to take it apart again tomorrow.

I'll try to post some new video tomorrow.

quote:
Originally posted by Grant

Looks great, canít wait to see them push it too the limits.

I am also keen to see it in a drag race with the Gaucho. BTW, what battery configuration do you have in your JD gaucho?

Thanks Grant. I'm running 18V in the JD Gaucho with a 12V 12AH and a 6V 12AH. I do have a 6V 18AH battery as well, so I might try running that with the 12V 12AH when I do the drag race to get the most out of the JD. I'm going to try to get my neighbor to do a drag race in the Apache and maybe Olivia in the JD Gaucho. Olivia has pretty good control when driving, so I think I can get her to drive straight. Now I just have to organize it.

Edited by - gseric69 on 09/20/2009 17:00:03
Go to Top of Page

rollndice83
Expert Modder

Lansdale
PA
USA

850 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  18:24:22  Show Profile
Wow! That Apache looks and drives real nice! Do you think there are any problems running a 12V 12Ah and a 6V 18Ah in series for a short time like a drag race?

When 18V is to slow...Time to go to 50cc quads
88 Super 6Volt Corvette Project
90 Suzuki Quad Super6 on 12V
12V F-150
12V Suzuki 3-Wheeler(2WD Super6)Current Project
Lifted Fire Rescue Jeep(Upgrading to 21T 18V)
WildThing Super6 Volt
12V Harley(WIP)
Original 6V PW Hot Rod

Edited by - rollndice83 on 09/20/2009 18:25:35
Go to Top of Page

Grant
Senior Modder

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

1820 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  19:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Grant's Homepage
I canít wait to see it, it will be very interesting to see its top speed. I am hanging out for the next vid.

It will also be interesting to see a drag on grass and on bitumen. I suspect the torque of the SP motors will give an advantage on grass.

I have only ever used dual 12volt 7ah batteries with a 6volt 12ah battery to give a straight 18volts and am curious as to any advantage this gives over user a single 12volt 12ah battery. Now that I have 2 Gauchoís I may be to try and run some tests.

http://www.youtube.com/GauchoDrift
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  19:17:29  Show Profile
Nice job! That thing sounds cool too. I guess I'll be adding a drag srip to the yard in a few weeks.

Drive it like you stole it!........out of somebody's garbage!
Go to Top of Page

KrazyJuice
Expert Modder

Toronto
Ontario
Canada

617 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  20:29:46  Show Profile
The wait was all worth it.. now with talks of a drag race, you're gonna kill us with suspense.

Great Job!!!

Gaucho Grande - Cailan's Transfomers
Gaucho High Torque
Lambo - From Hot Wheels to Princess
6V Get-Set-Go-Kart
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  07:54:52  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Alright, here's the video from yesterday!

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  08:30:28  Show Profile
Thats almost helmet and seat belt speed! (I know they always look slower on camera too).

UH OH.....Looks like the lawn is starting to suffer from road rash!

Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  08:54:44  Show Profile
I have a feeling that the "8 year old neighbor girl" will be knocking on your door everyday after school.

Go to Top of Page

l18oyd

8 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  15:08:52  Show Profile
So reading through the postings - I believe the the peg perego diablo jeep which appears to have the same motor should be able to be modified to 36V?. I have printed other forums that suggest removing one of the wires from the high low switch... which may not be relevant for the diablo or apache... do you have any diagrams for the electronics...
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  19:46:00  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by l18oyd

So reading through the postings - I believe the the peg perego diablo jeep which appears to have the same motor should be able to be modified to 36V?. I have printed other forums that suggest removing one of the wires from the high low switch... which may not be relevant for the diablo or apache... do you have any diagrams for the electronics...

Taking the Diablo to 36V with the stock motors is going to toast them real quick. I swapped out the stock Apache motors and gearboxes, as well as the entire rear pan, to that of the Super Power Gaucho 24V motors and gearboxes.

This is how I wired the Apache. Since I have mechanical disc brakes, I eliminated the electric braking on it. For the schematic with electronic braking, check out Grants post on page 1, 14th post.

Go to Top of Page

wheres
Journeyman Modder

Cary
NC
USA

475 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  19:17:22  Show Profile  Send wheres a Yahoo! Message
Eric you know I am not a very active modder anymore but this is one of the projects I do come back to check on occasionally, and it was a real treat to check back in and find the progress you've made and all the video you've posted.

The vehicle you've created is 'top shelf' man, congratz on one of the best projects ever posted :)

"where's muh tools..."

92.05 KB

metal frame sahara @ 18V
metal frame safari @ 18V
maroon firebird metal frame wrangler @ 12V (2 pedal)
Baby Baja beetle @12V
Peg Perego Quad w/Gaucho motors and tires @12V
Custom 6WD ARGO/ROVER/TANK
Pink Harley
Black Harley Drag Trike
Extreme Machine - 21Ts 12V
Go to Top of Page

Modmom32
Expert Modder

Cookeville
Tennessee
USA

830 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  01:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Modmom32's Homepage
gseric I have not seen 1 a151 guacho look what I have... are you sure its not an apache..... maybe some one else said that. I am a FAN of your Wheels and lights for sure. The whole thing seems gret..love the brakes too

*arctic Shark snowmobile (beng modified again, scooter) but works!
*indianaJones Harley *desert bike *desert Challenger street bike *saftey 1st Chopper *SF viper*Herbie fully loaded via remote 12v....18v if lucky *gravedigger *mx350 *john deer tractor( still his favorite) *blue flame bigfoot *A151 * qty 2 twin 700* mx3 trike n 2 powerrider nascars (DALE SR n used to be #24 now General Lee) SOLD> 12v herbie
AMY
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  17:41:04  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wheres

Eric you know I am not a very active modder anymore but this is one of the projects I do come back to check on occasionally, and it was a real treat to check back in and find the progress you've made and all the video you've posted.

The vehicle you've created is 'top shelf' man, congratz on one of the best projects ever posted :)

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  13:02:27  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Just a small update now
Added some yellow reflective tape to simulate the rear bumpers of the PA State Police vehicles.

Also swapped out the Red Seatbelts for Yellow. It's a lot of yellow, but I was trying to keep the main color scheme along with the PA State colors (Blue & Gold).

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  21:04:42  Show Profile
Gseric, I just checked out your wire diagram. Are you running 36v through the stock fwd/rev. switch? or did I miss something? If so, hows it holding up?

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  22:30:37  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Taz11

Gseric, I just checked out your wire diagram. Are you running 36v through the stock fwd/rev. switch? or did I miss something? If so, hows it holding up?

Yep, I'm running it through the Forward/Reverse and High/Low switch. No issues so far...

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  06:38:49  Show Profile
Impressive..... They must hold up better than the throttle switch since they stay in one position most of the time. I saw a pedal switch fuse closed at 24v!

Go to Top of Page

Racer X
Journeyman Modder

Sheboygan
Wisconsin
USA

308 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  11:31:57  Show Profile
Where did you get the power meters? What do I need to ask for (does the battery size/amps make a different in which model I need to get)?

Please email me a response.

Racer X

Why not start your second childhood now,... Mod a Power Wheel!!!
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  12:24:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Racer X

Where did you get the power meters? What do I need to ask for (does the battery size/amps make a different in which model I need to get)?

Please email me a response.

Look back a page - he got it on eBay, of course!

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

Modmom32
Expert Modder

Cookeville
Tennessee
USA

830 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  18:40:57  Show Profile  Visit Modmom32's Homepage
those things fly...You got advice on how to hook up 24v controller, its a pocket bike. Motor seems to work sometimes but mostly if all is hooked up it does not work.

*indianaJones Harley *desert bike *desert Challenger street bike *saftey 1st Chopper *SF viper*Herbie fully loaded via remote 12v....18v if lucky *gravedigger *mx350 *john deer tractor( still his favorite) *blue flame bigfoot *A151 * qty 2 twin 700* mx3 trike n 2 powerrider nascars (DALE SR n used to be #24 now General Lee) SOLD> 12v herbie
AMY
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  08:03:37  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Modmom32

those things fly...You got advice on how to hook up 24v controller, its a pocket bike. Motor seems to work sometimes but mostly if all is hooked up it does not work.

Yea, just give me a few days here, been pretty busy lately between work, the holiday's and my Sarge build.

Go to Top of Page

sleeper3

17 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2009 :  12:23:15  Show Profile
ive been working on a power wheels police jeep for my son.

Just wanted to know what relay you used to get the strobing effect on the roll bar? where it flashes twice then alternates to the other side.

I saw a box at autozone that i could rip apart and make work but it got prewired LEDs and buttons id need to rip out
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2009 :  13:15:19  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sleeper3

Just wanted to know what relay you used to get the strobing effect on the roll bar? where it flashes twice then alternates to the other side.

I saw a box at autozone that i could rip apart and make work but it got prewired LEDs and buttons id need to rip out

I actually ordered a strobe kit from Ebay. It was from a place in China, so it took about 2-3 weeks to arrive. The strobe kit I got has 2 settings, the alternating flashing, and one where both sides flash at the same time. This kit came with the lights I have on the roll bar, and I added the other lights to it.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/qianqian-us42__W0QQ_armrsZ1

CJB and Taz11 both used a different strobe controller for their police vehicles, and I'm actually planning to use one like it for my fire truck. Here's a link to that one
http://www.swps.com/11-1005sf.html

Go to Top of Page

sleeper3

17 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2009 :  14:41:21  Show Profile
Thats funny, i ordered a cheap ebay thing too. it came the other day and hadnt messed with it yet. Tried it and it works pretty well. Just wish it could adjust speed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130333680144&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

The second one you gave a link to looks cool. if i add more strobing lights in the fogs of the roll cage i might upgrade to that for the extra patterns.

thanks for the .02

Edited by - sleeper3 on 11/27/2009 14:43:48
Go to Top of Page

Racer X
Journeyman Modder

Sheboygan
Wisconsin
USA

308 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  14:52:42  Show Profile
The round headlights you got from Meritline ($11.98 shipped). Do you have the link or know the model #? I have looked on their site and found a few that were similar, but not the same one. Also, does yours ship with the ability to turn all three lights on or did you have to do some wiring for that effect (the other ones I found would only display on set of LED's at a time). I am very interested. I am also making a police vehicle and wanted to use the ones you got as the headlights

Racer X

Go to Top of Page

Racer X
Journeyman Modder

Sheboygan
Wisconsin
USA

308 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  14:54:00  Show Profile
Also, where did you find your battery voltage indicators?

Racer X

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  15:16:16  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Those lights I got from Mertiline, I got from an ad that was emailed to me.
http://www.meritline.com/multicolor-flashing-24-led-camping-light---p-25502.aspx
It says they are out of stock now, but I found these similar ones.
http://www.meritline.com/28-led-utility-color-changing-camping-light---p-35013.aspx
I don't remember if all three would shine at the same time, but I think the outer and inner white ones would. I ended up just taking the red/blue LEDs out of it along with the resistors they were connected to, and using them in the hedlights. The rest of the lights from them are still sitting on my workbench. The white LEDS in my headlights are SuperFlux LEDs.

I think the best way to go for police lights would be to get an LED strobe setup for them. There are a lot of good controllers out there. Take a look at Taz11's Police Trike for a good one to use. I plan on using that one for my Fire Truck.

I got both voltage indicators from Ebay. The 36V one I got from a seller that only had the one. The 12V indicator I got from this seller.
http://shop.ebay.com/8450fish/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  16:54:45  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I've been getting some good results with the Sarge stickers I've been printing, so I decided to print out a license plate sticker for the Apache to complete the look. I'd call this one done, but the kids were playing with the tool box the other week and somehow took off the handle and lost the pieces that hold it on in the yard. So sometime I'll get around to getting the handle back on.

Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  20:17:43  Show Profile
I can't believe how awesome this thing is!! Just checking out the thread finally with a bit of free time...the features are awesome!

Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  20:49:04  Show Profile
I know this is way late but what size gauge metal did you use to re-do the KC Lights. Also what did you use to cut the metal?

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  17:47:12  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sdubb

I know this is way late but what size gauge metal did you use to re-do the KC Lights. Also what did you use to cut the metal?

It's never too late

I used 16ga, and I used a reinorced cutoff wheel on my dremel to cut it.

Go to Top of Page

Tainted Memory
Journeyman Modder

Saratoga Springs
UT
USA

167 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  10:00:09  Show Profile  Click to see Tainted Memory's MSN Messenger address
First off WOW, I love what you were able to do to the Apache!!!

I have a Super Power Gaucho that is having controller issues and I would like to put in a Hall Effect pedal and a new controller. Since you have been down this road before, I would like to ask a few questions.

How hard was it to adapt the Hall Effect pedal into the existing pedal assembly. You have a pic of the assembled pedal and it looks stock. I also wondered how hard was it to integrate the scooter controller into the wiring of the Gaucho. It does not seem too hard, but wanted to know if there were any pointers you could offer before I jump into this project.

I noticed the 36V controller you purchased is not in stock, I think for now I would like to leave it at 24V. In your opinion would any of the other 24V controllers rated above 800 watts work? There are several other controllers that have a max current rating of 30amps. I am thinking this might work http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101168

Any knowledge you can share would be greatly appreciated

1-Peg John Deere Power Pull-18V-Stock
2-Peg 24V Super Power Gaucho-LBD14 controllers
2-Peg John Deere Gator-24V Scooter Controllers with Hall Effect Pedals
1-Peg Thundercat Quad 24V Scooter Controller with twist throttle.

1-Xtreme Machine-up for sale, ditching anything Powerwheel.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  07:12:50  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Thanks!

Adding the scooter controller was really easy. I basically use the wiring diagram from the FAQ section and made a harness to match that, which switches the motors from parallel to series for High and Low speeds. The output of the controller (to motors) just wires into the harness in place of the battery. In your case the scooter controller would replace the main circuit board that is under the seats.

I used the stock Super Power throttle controller with the scooter controller, and if you want to reuse yours, I outlined the wiring for it back on page 2, 5th post down. It would allow you to keep the stock pedel setup if you didn't want to replace it with a new pedal.

The controller you're looking at looks like it would be a good 24V controller to use.

Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  08:02:20  Show Profile
Do you think running the 24V gearboxes at the 36V over time and a lot of use would melt some of the centers of the gearbox?

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  09:33:37  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I haven't noticed anything as of yet. It's been getting a lot of use this spring. Once it dries up some, I'll pull a wheel off and see how everything looks in there. When I assembled them, I added some grease on the axle around it, but the gearbox hole is actually a lot larger than the axle. I'm also using the oilite bearings in the wheels to help as well.

Go to Top of Page

Modmom32
Expert Modder

Cookeville
Tennessee
USA

830 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  14:27:11  Show Profile  Visit Modmom32's Homepage
Great jeep!! nice speed, how long does the batteries last. Are you still at 36v , I will be getting my a151 out this year, alot of cosmetics are already done but not I have to think about how much to invest. Ethan is nearing 50lbs need incline and speed by july. So you used differnt motors but original wire harness?

AMY

Edited by - Modmom32 on 06/02/2010 20:42:37
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  19:38:00  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Modmom32

Great jeep!! nice speed, how long does the batteries last. Are you still at 36v , I will be getting my a151 out this year, alot of cosmetics are already done but not I have to think about how much to invest. Ethan is nearing 50lbs need incline and speed by july. So you used differnt motors but original wire harness?

Thanks!
The battery acutally lasts a good hour to hour and a half surprisingly. It's a single 36V 12AH battery. I attribute that to the variable speed throttle, since my daughter has gotten very good at controlling the speed now, she isn't always gunning it. Everything is still holding up real well, and I've had no issues with anything yet. This has definitely been the lowest maintenance vehicle I have.

The wiring is stock configuration coming off the controller and running through the forward/reverse and high/low switches, but I upgraded to 10awg wiring.

My daugher drives my son around nearly everyday on it, and they are about 75 lbs combined weight right now. There isn't even a hint of slow down with the added weight on it either.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: