These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Project 4-Real Jeep
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Giranger
Apprentice Modder

USA

88 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  19:37:19  Show Profile  Visit Giranger's Homepage
Well, most of you have already seen my project under the speed forum but I will post it up here for everyone else plus keep it updated.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=226 I started this project a while ago with a "lifted" jeep I got at a yard sale for $15. Things just kinda went from there. Here is the first day I brought it home.

I started by taking it completely apart, cleaning it up and taking all the old decals off of it. I wanted to do something a little different that just upping the stock motors, basically wanted more speed (not donut speed) but something that went more than 5mph. I decided to go with 24V Scooter motor from TNC Scooters. The first thing in order was to figure out the paint scheme. I showed my son the different decals we could choose from from http://mendingshed.com/decals.html once he decided on the decal we bought the paint to match, we got it at Walmart and used Krylon Fusion for plastic. That stuff is the bomb for plastic. NO sanding or anything, clean and paint. It dries in a few minutes in the sun and ready to handle in no time. Next thing in order was to really sit down and figure out what to put into this thing. I really wanted to go all out on this, since I am bigtime into 4 wheeling with my Jeep Cherokee I wanted to add everything a real 4 wheel jeep had. Horn, Stereo, Lights, Winch, Pulling Shackles, KC Lights. So thats what we did. It wasnt easy trying to figure out how to do all this with a limited budget (yea like that was gonna happen LOL). The budget was easy, the hard part was getting it past the wife. So here is a run down of what we did and how.

1. Horn-Basically found a short enough push button to mount on the center of the steering wheel. Bought some real nice 12V horns from harbour freight but 12V horns dont work with 24V (kept blowing fuses). So ended up getting 24V scooter horns from http://tncscooters.com/partsdb.php?type=ES. Part Number 101230 $2.00
Here is the picture of the horn button.

2. Stereo-Had my old tape deck out of the jeep and some old oval speakers with covers so I installed the speakers into the sides down by both passenger and drivers feet. Mounted the stereo to the back side of the seat since there was nowhere else to mount it. Here you can see the speakers.

Here is the stereo and antenna for the AM/FM.

3. Lights-I added headlights, taillights (brakelights) and KC Lights. For the headlights I removed the stock lens' and installed trailer backup white lights from Advance Auto P/N 6251374 $3.97 ea. I also installed Red Marker lights up where the blinker decal is. These are stick on P/N MC31RS $2.98 ea. Next was the KC lights, that was more difficult. You have to have the type that the front cover of your KC lights come off. These covers actually snap on but you can get them off. If you have the type that have a screw in the center of the cover they dont work for this mod. I got these at Harbour Freight (sorry no pic or link) but they are only $2.00 ea and plug into cigerette lighter of your car and have magnetic base with orange housing, the cord winds up into the housing also. I removed the light assy with cord minus cig plugin from housing and the screw from the back of the light assy to hold it into the KC light housing on the jeep. I know kinda confusing but check out the pics. I installed a switch for the KC's and installed it right where the KC Switch is on the decals. Here is pic of headlights and marker lights. The headlights come on automatically when the key is turned on (more on that later).

Here is the tail lights (they acutally come on when the brake is pressed (more on that later also).

Here is the KC lights, one with cover on and the other off.

Here is the back of the KC lights, I used some actual metal sleeve from my spare KC lights and ran the wires through them.

4. Roll cage-I removed the old "cage" and installed my new and improved version LOL. I wanted it up higher so the KC lights arent burning a hole in the back of the kids' heads. So I used PVC pipe and fittings. 3/4" I believe fit just perfect and the KC Light mounting fit great on the PVC. You just have to drill two holes for the screws to go into. Also I added some nerf "doors" so you can look out the vehicle while 4-wheelin'. Basically just used a PVC coupling and drilled out the center of the coupling the same diameter of the PVC pipe so it can swing open and closed. Notched the end so it rests level with the dash. Coundnt figure out a way to make it latch but will probably do that at a later date. Here is the cage and door.

5. Winch and shackles-This was just about the hardest thing to come up with. Find a motor and gearbox to pull a powerwheels. hmmmm.......ureka a PW's gearbox and motor. Now how to mount it. That was the tricky part. Since I have tons of aluminum sheet and extrusions I figured I would extend the front bumber out and build a platform for the winch and shackles. Also build the winch housing. I got some blue rope from work (oops did I say that?) and a small hook for the winch rope. I also got a small diameter drum from my 10guage electrical wire. This is what I came up with. Here is the backside so you can get an idea of what I did.

Here it is mounted. You can also see the shackles on the front. Havent done the back yet (my boy gets on me everyday to put them on). They are just small shackles I got from Tractor Supply for a couple dollars.

6. Battery Charging port-I got it from TNC Scooters for the scooter controller/batteries P/N 101240 $3.00. I wanted to do a little extra on that so I installed it inside the gas filler port under the gas cap. You remove the cap and theres the charging port for the batteries.

Here is the battery charger plugged in.

7. Batteries-I got these from http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-battery-pack-for-modifiedpowerwheels-12AH_W0QQitemZ170029460247QQihZ007QQcategoryZ22703QQcmdZViewItem
for $30. I fitted them under the seat and made a mount to hold them in place. I had a 24 Volt decal from when I worked on Helicopters laying around so that was a bonus.

8. Scooter Controller-P/N 302S9 $15. I also mounted this under the seat. Here is the scematics for the controller and what all it controls http://www.tncscooters.com/CT-302S9.php I have my lights, ignition switch, brake lights, motor, charging port, cooling fan and throttle going through this.

9. Ignition Switch-Advance Auto P/N 5470315 $8.98. It goes right where the dummy key is. You have to have the key to "start" the jeep. Without it you wont go anywhere meaning no power to the motor. So you turn on the key and the headlight come on (daytime running lights LOL), you have power to the motor, radio and KC Lights.

10. Seperate Gas/Brake Pedal-I got the thumb throttle from TNC Scooters P/N 101101 $10. I had to start by adding a seperate brake in the empty space next to the gas pedal. The brake really doesnt give you a brake, it basically cuts power to the motor and kicks in the brake lights. So you kinda coast to a stop unless you rig up some type of actual brakes. Simply using a dremel I made the same opening as the gas pedal and mounted the "gas" pedal with original switch for the brake. The gas pedal was a little different. You have to mount the thumb throttle under the gas pedal. Here is a fuzzy pic to give you an idea of what had to be done to mount this.

Here you can see how I used a longer screw and bent it so I would get the full throw of the throttle.

I dont have any pics of the underside with both gas/brake pedals installed. Here you can see the finished product installed.

11. Wire Diagram-Here you can see how I wired everything up. Plain and simple.

12. Spare tire carrier-I had a mount (4-Rac) for my hi-lift jack that I wasnt using so wala, a tire carrier. I just mounted it to the back of the jeep and added a spare tire.

13. Motor-Got a 24V 250Watt Scooter Motor from TNC Scooters P/N MY1016 $18. I mounted it with a #25 chain P/N 106100 $6 and also got a 65 Tooth Sprocket P/N 103240 $10. I am still modifing this area so I'm not posting any pics just yet.

I am about tird of typing LOL. Give you a little synopsis of what I have ran into so far. Dont use 12V horn with 24V system. Those 30amp/250volt fuses are very hard to come by. You have to get them from TNC Scooters. Dont make your axle solid, you have to split it or you will not be able to turn at all. I will do a writeup on this later. Still working on it. I have lawn tractor tires on back and plastic on the front, very hard to turn, the plastic has no grip. Use bearings on your axle setup (cant say that enough). Thats about all the problems I have right now. Everything works great-horn, lights, radio, power to the motor. Now to get power from motor to tires LOL. That is in the works though. Hope this helps anyone wanting to do some of the same ideas I had. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Would like to say thanks to Gruber Power Services for the batteries, Chris at TNC Scooters for all the scooter parts and technical help he has given me and everyone else on the site that has helped me one way or another. Thanks Jeff, Hunter (son), Hayden (daughter)

If your wife is jeolous of someone with the initials PW, then your addicted!!!

5 Jeeps and 2 Quads
My 96 XJ Cherokee Lifted 6" running 33's LOL
1 Aftershock Wrangler(Super modded)
2 Barbie Cruizin' Tunes Wranglers
1 Girls Wrangler
1 Old Ninja
1 New Ninja
Old Fisher Price Sportscar

Edited by - Giranger on 09/15/2006 19:39:53

Giranger
Apprentice Modder

USA

88 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  18:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Giranger's Homepage
*UPDATE*
Today I got it RUNNING!!!!! Everything works great. Still need to get rid of the plastic tires up front and put rubber ones but it does turn, not great but it does turn. Man this thing flies. Have no idea how fast just yet but some more trials are in effect tomorrow. My son kept hitting the brake which just cuts power to the motor so you kinda coast to a stop. Havent figured out a way to put "brakes" on it yet. I was having issues with the chain coming off and everything shifting around because of being mounted to the plastic body. What I did was mount 3/8" thick aluminum sheet to the whole underside of the jeep under the seat area (where the axle is). Drilled holes for the piller bearings for the axle and motor then tapped all the holes. Figured out how long I needed my chain and tightened everything down. It works like a charm. No more flex in that area for the chain to come off. He has forward/reverse through the original shifter too. I really think that an 80 tooth sprocket would have been better though. Looks like TNC Scooters are out of them though. Too late tonight to get photos so I will get some tomorrow. Jeff

Check out my Project (4-Real Jeep) at http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=721

1 Girls Wrangler
1 Old Ninja
2 New Ninjas
1 Silverado
1 Peg Tractor w/tilt bed
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  19:26:46  Show Profile
BE CAREFUL with rubber front tires in Jeeps and high speeds. Roll overs from the increased traction and very high center of gravity will happen - I speak from experience. Personally I wouldn't recommend the rubber tires on the front, but if you do be very, very careful and if you can limit speed - do so.

****Testing the limits of Fisher Price engineering on a daily basis.****
Go to Top of Page

K-man
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

484 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  06:41:16  Show Profile
AWESOME project page!

have you considered running the stock wiring harness? you would merely run the output of the controller into the battery input of the old harness. Switch the wires on the accelerator pedal so it reverses the action (works as a brake when pushed), speed is controlled by the scooter controller but is cut off and motor is shorted together to create the brake. You also get reverse this way. If you were running 2 motors you would also have a high and low. Just a suggestion for an easy fix to the brake problem, I don't mean to clog your excellent project blog, that is one awesome jeep, and super clean install!
Go to Top of Page

Giranger
Apprentice Modder

USA

88 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  15:04:34  Show Profile  Visit Giranger's Homepage
************UPDATE************

Finally got some finished pics. These are just misc pics of the finished product, so please bear with me as they are in no order LOL.
Here is a better pic of the shackles. They basically mount to an eye bolt that bolts to the extended bumper mount.

Here is how I mount the tires on all my PW's. Drill a hole in the axle, add a washer and use a cotter pin.

Here is the wiring for the radio. Cant remember what you call the white deal but got it from radio shack and you basically put one wire into the top hole, the other wire into the bottom hole, tighten the screws and you have a connection.

Here is the back of the shifter, I had to cut it so the batteries would fit. I am only using one switch as I only need Forward/Reverse and not High/Low.

Here you see the motor, another white connector deal for the throttle to controller wiring, controller and fuse holder.

Driver side rear tire mount. The axle is 5/8" rod with a pipe as a spacer inside the rim of the tire.

Passenger side rear tire mount (drive side).

Here is how I had to mount the axle setup as mounting everything to the plastic body is just to flexible. I used piller bearings on the ends with a wide bearing in the center welded to square tubing that the ends of the axles go into. They are cut in the center so I am able to steer.

Here is how the motor mounts to the topside of the plate that is going to the underside of the jeep. I cut off all the strenghtening deals that are under there so the plate mounts flush.

Here is everything mounted up.

Inside the hood. This is basically storage now for my sons 4 wheelin' gear.

Here is his winch and winch controller I made that you connect up when your ready to winch.

Closer look of the winch controller.

Here is the completed Jeep.

It doesnt really go as fast as I would have hoped but they enjoy it very much. If I do this kind of project again I would definatly go with a "HUGE" motor. Something in the 1200Watt 46Volt range LOL. Plus the biggest sprocket I could get. These motors are not for low end torque. My kids and I had a blast building this thing and really glad its finally done. Now they can enjoy it until our next project. If you all want any pics of anything or any questions feel free to ask. Hope you enjoy. Jeff and kids

Check out my Project (4-Real Jeep) at http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=721

1 Girls Wrangler
1 Old Ninja
2 New Ninjas
1 Silverado
1 Peg Tractor w/tilt bed
Go to Top of Page

1LoudScort00

Brampton ON

Canada

8 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  18:32:22  Show Profile  Visit 1LoudScort00's Homepage  Click to see 1LoudScort00's MSN Messenger address
that is so sweet man, nice job bro
Go to Top of Page

highlandercj-7

Pittsburgh
PA

48 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  06:15:20  Show Profile
This is unreal. May-be you should change the name to un-real jeep lol.. I love it.

HighlanderCJ-7
If you don't stand behind our troops...
Feel free to stand in front of them.
Go to Top of Page

smokeylt

Kissimmee
Florida
USA

2 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  19:45:26  Show Profile
Very nice Mod. Does it have it's own garage?
Go to Top of Page

Mudracer

Virginia

12 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  09:29:01  Show Profile
Any idea on top speed yet? This is pretty awesome, considering something similar myself.
Go to Top of Page

shark

Hickory
NC
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  16:56:48  Show Profile
Awesome work! You have inspired me to start up a similar mod. I will either modify an older jeep or a newer Polaris 700. I have a few questions for you before I order parts.

1. Say I purchase a 24 V Controller that is rated for a 500 Watt motor. Can I assume that this controller can handle one 500 Watt motor or two 250 Watt motors?

2. After reading your post, it looks like it would be smart to go with two seperate motors with two seperate drive shafts?
a. Better off road capability.
b. Better steering control.

3. How big of a problem is the torque with these scooter motors and or controllers?
a. Would you recommend a larger sprocket for my project?
b. Do the scooter controllers limit the available torque; Would I be better without the use of a scooter controller?
c. Should I go with even larger motors and step up to 36V?
Go to Top of Page

hummerman

belleville
ontario
Canada

21 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  09:19:11  Show Profile  Click to see hummerman's MSN Messenger address
Very creative!!!
Where did u get those back tires from?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: