These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 C6 Corvette Kid Trax - Any Good
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

70cuda

10 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  18:30:00  Show Profile
Hey guys, just joined the site and have a few questions for you. I'm up in canada and really wanted to get my daughter a Mustang powerwheels. unfortunatley most places in the states won't ship up here and the ones that will want close to $300 in shipping alone not to mention duty and tax. So I was at a store today and bought (it has a 90 day return policy) a Kid Trax (Dorel) red C6 ride on for my daugter. It was the last one they had and was on sale. Has anyone had any experience with these units, I tried searching but didn't have much luck. Here's a link to the one I bought http://answers.canadiantire.ca/answers/9045/product/0841007P/questions.htm

Basically what i'm wondering is how durable are these, will I be able to get parts when it breaks, can you retro fit powerwheels guts into it down the road if it becomes problematic? Should I keep this thing or take it back? Or if anyone knows where I can get a Mustang powerwheels in Canada let me know, Thanks, Tyler

Red Wrangler
Journeyman Modder

USA

313 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  01:40:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 70cuda

Hey guys, just joined the site and have a few questions for you. I'm up in canada and really wanted to get my daughter a Mustang powerwheels. unfortunatley most places in the states won't ship up here and the ones that will want close to $300 in shipping alone not to mention duty and tax. So I was at a store today and bought (it has a 90 day return policy) a Kid Trax (Dorel) red C6 ride on for my daugter. It was the last one they had and was on sale. Has anyone had any experience with these units, I tried searching but didn't have much luck. Here's a link to the one I bought http://answers.canadiantire.ca/answers/9045/product/0841007P/questions.htm

Basically what i'm wondering is how durable are these, will I be able to get parts when it breaks, can you retro fit powerwheels guts into it down the road if it becomes problematic? Should I keep this thing or take it back? Or if anyone knows where I can get a Mustang powerwheels in Canada let me know, Thanks, Tyler

They are nice cars stock. The extra gizmos that come with it ( sounds, cup holders,lights ect.) the little kids really like. However you cant put extra power through the circuit board which controls the entire car without killing the car. Parts shouldnt be a problem and yes you can modify the vehicle to run with power wheels parts later down the road. I have put a power wheels harness and shifter in one before because the circuit board was toast and so it could run on 18 volts. The extra stuff no longer worked but the car was faster.

They are very nice cars stock.
Go to Top of Page

70cuda

10 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  16:27:26  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply Red Wrangler. I have no desire to mod the car to be any faster - I just want something that will work. I've heard bad things about Kid Trax batteries and apparently they had a recall a few years back on some of their stuff for a wiring issue - any info on this. Can I use a different battery (ie powerwheels) on the kid trax products? And just out of curiosity, how much to install a Power wheels harness and shifter and where would I purchase them. Again thanks for the info. Tyler
Go to Top of Page

Red Wrangler
Journeyman Modder

USA

313 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  23:55:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 70cuda

Thanks for the reply Red Wrangler. I have no desire to mod the car to be any faster - I just want something that will work. I've heard bad things about Kid Trax batteries and apparently they had a recall a few years back on some of their stuff for a wiring issue - any info on this. Can I use a different battery (ie powerwheels) on the kid trax products? And just out of curiosity, how much to install a Power wheels harness and shifter and where would I purchase them. Again thanks for the info. Tyler

A power wheels battery will not fit in the battery holder area of the corvette. The batteries are different sizes and is located under the hood where the fake motor is. However 12v batteries from Gruber power, Power cell will fit just fine and are cheaper.
There was a recall on the battery connector but I think if you are buying a new one you probably wont have an issue with it.
You can find just about anything you are wanting like the harness and shifter in the for sale section of the forum. I have sold several for about $10-$15 to other members.
If you leave the corvette stock you wont have any problems with it. Just dont try and push more than 12v through that circuit board.

Go to Top of Page

ShinnickSP

Clifton
VA
USA

6 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  10:11:01  Show Profile
As the owner of a “Safety First” brand C6 Corvette, I advise you to return your “Kid Trax” brand C6 Corvette. From the limited information available, it appears that the Doral Group’s Safety First brand sold its ride-on toy interests to Kid Trax, which I believe is a division of Pacific Cycle.

There is some indication that Kid Trax changed some of the running gear on the ride-on toys to improve reliability over the Safety First models (Corvettes, Fire Trucks, etc.,). However, there is no indication either way as to whether the Kid Trax models are better.

While my kids love the “yellow Corvette”, it has not been reliable since I got it in April of 2006. A motor went bad after 6 months with little use and it stopped working in the summer of 2007. I just replaced the motherboard and it is still showing the same symptoms i.e., the lights work and the battery is putting out over 12v but no go.

Even though Kid Trax makes the car now, I would still advise against it for the following reasons:

Product support: is very limited for Kid Trax, even less so than for Safety First. The Kid Trax web site is still under construction (www.kidtraxtoys.com).

Parts: While some of the Safety First and Kid Trax parts are probably interchangeable since Kid Trax improved some of the running gear, some key parts will not be compatible. I have only found a few key parts available at Kids Wheels and no other sites that sell parts. Furthermore, Kids Wheels sells the motherboard but it is for the Safety First version not the Kid Trax version.

Information: this site is a glowing example of why you should go with a Power Wheels…I wish I would have done my research. The people here have a wealth of information on PW but despite their charity and good intentions, the knowledge base is limited on the Safety First/Kid Trax. The vendors that sell PW stuff have a large selection of parts and electrical drawings. I can’t find an electrical drawing on the Corvette.

Think of the future: When something goes wrong or you get the itch to improve your ride-on, it is likely the knowledge will be there for you at this site and parts readily available at vendor sites.

With the help of the folks here, I am going to continue to try and fix my kid’s Corvette ‘cause it is nice when it works but I wish I had a Power Wheels.

Stephen
Go to Top of Page

Red Wrangler
Journeyman Modder

USA

313 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  15:06:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ShinnickSP

As the owner of a “Safety First” brand C6 Corvette, I advise you to return your “Kid Trax” brand C6 Corvette. From the limited information available, it appears that the Doral Group’s Safety First brand sold its ride-on toy interests to Kid Trax, which I believe is a division of Pacific Cycle.

There is some indication that Kid Trax changed some of the running gear on the ride-on toys to improve reliability over the Safety First models (Corvettes, Fire Trucks, etc.,). However, there is no indication either way as to whether the Kid Trax models are better.

While my kids love the “yellow Corvette”, it has not been reliable since I got it in April of 2006. A motor went bad after 6 months with little use and it stopped working in the summer of 2007. I just replaced the motherboard and it is still showing the same symptoms i.e., the lights work and the battery is putting out over 12v but no go.

Even though Kid Trax makes the car now, I would still advise against it for the following reasons:

Product support: is very limited for Kid Trax, even less so than for Safety First. The Kid Trax web site is still under construction (www.kidtraxtoys.com).

Parts: While some of the Safety First and Kid Trax parts are probably interchangeable since Kid Trax improved some of the running gear, some key parts will not be compatible. I have only found a few key parts available at Kids Wheels and no other sites that sell parts. Furthermore, Kids Wheels sells the motherboard but it is for the Safety First version not the Kid Trax version.

Information: this site is a glowing example of why you should go with a Power Wheels…I wish I would have done my research. The people here have a wealth of information on PW but despite their charity and good intentions, the knowledge base is limited on the Safety First/Kid Trax. The vendors that sell PW stuff have a large selection of parts and electrical drawings. I can’t find an electrical drawing on the Corvette.

Think of the future: When something goes wrong or you get the itch to improve your ride-on, it is likely the knowledge will be there for you at this site and parts readily available at vendor sites.

With the help of the folks here, I am going to continue to try and fix my kid’s Corvette ‘cause it is nice when it works but I wish I had a Power Wheels.

Stephen

As far as problems with these vehicles, I cant say I have had any issues at all. That is why I said it is a fine vehicle stock. I picked one up on Craigs List for $40 left it stock and it is my daughters favorite vehicle. I have also made one run at 18v by replacing the wiring with aPower Wheels harness after a neighbor cooked his circuit board when he tried to push 18v through it. However as you can see another member has had issues with it which if you read any reviews on any of the products you will find someone who doesnt like something about this or that vehicle. The Dumar Raptor is a perfect example. Some love them while others hate them.
Good Luck with your decision.
Go to Top of Page

70cuda

10 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  16:40:47  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice guys, anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

Grant
Senior Modder

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

1820 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  15:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Grant's Homepage
It is interesting the control board is so sensitive, it could possible be the number of functional components that it has or that the board is also powered by the main battery?

The PowerTech 12volt Go Kart also used a circuit board to control the vehicle speed and work the motor and horn sounds. Quite some time ago I upgraded it to 24volts and ran it though the circuit board. So far it has not had any issues at all. The interesting thing though is that it also has 3x1.5v AA batteries that power the sound. Also interestingly the vehicle can not be started without the batteries leading me to suspect that it is powered by the AA batteries.

This leads me to wonder how the Kids Trax vehicles are setup and if they can be modified.

http://www.youtube.com/GauchoDrift
Go to Top of Page

70cuda

10 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  10:34:45  Show Profile
Thanks for the input guys. After doing a bit of research it seems like the safety first products have a lot of bad reviews. Don't think I'll take my chances, not really looking for another project but just somehting that works. I actually just bought a used Mustang Powerwheels on ebay and will be asking questions about that one in another post. Guess I'll take the vette back once the Mustang arrives. Thanks, Tyler
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: