These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 18V Green & Blue Kawasaki Ninja & Dora Quads
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  20:11:34  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I scored this Ninja on craigslist for free when I went to pick up a Bigfoot, the owner basically gave me his lot since he didn't want to keep them any more. The Ninja wasn't in too bad of shape aside from the broken seat and hacked up wiring. Lawnmower batteries are BAD BAD BAD.

57.6 KB

The more I look at the Ninja, the more I like it. The right handle makes "motor sounds" when turned, kind of a neat feature that doesn't require batteries. The gears are sealed up inside the frame, so I'm not sure what boxes it has yet. I probably won't get a look at it until the weekend. It also looks like the rear was designed to move independently from the body, but it doesn't do so. Has anyone modded one of these to have a rear suspension?

48.93 KB

58.56 KB

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)

Edited by - gseric69 on 10/29/2009 06:54:14

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  20:27:17  Show Profile
first off, the first pic, that had #3 gearboxes in them
keep it for parts and you can install a seperate brake with the right side foot pad on the one that looks just like it.

second one has been modded, and a good one at that. those are #7 boxes, probably 19t, but like you said you will have to take them off to see for sure. use parts from the first one to mod that one.

the last on is the best of all you have. it has #3 gearboxes in it that are 12v, but if you can find some super six motors they will slide right in there and you can keep it 12v. it will fly on 12v. my kids love theres, i have done it to two of them. i also have a spare seat for that model hanging around, its black, but its yours for 12.00 to your door if you want it.

i also have a quick way for dropping the rear pan down. drill two holes directly above the two most forward screws so it allows you to take them out with removing the rear pan.

Insert Image:

Insert Image:

Insert Image:

Insert Image:

make sure to angle the drill so you cutting a diagonal hole in the plastic the same way your screw driver needs to be to take the screw out.

take out the rest of the screws and it just flops down if front of you. but be sure to take off the push nut first, its kinda hard to do that with the pan flopping around.

Edited by - gameboy on 10/22/2008 20:36:59
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  23:03:14  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Well I gave the Ninja a good scrubbing tonight, it's amazing what just cleaning off all the dirt and grime will do, it's looking pretty decent now. I also replaced the motors with Super 6 motors, and it really is an improvement in speed. I need to go by another inline fuse tomorrow since the last guy was running this one with a lawnmower batt and no fuse . I don't want my daughter riding it without one.

One thing I noticed is that that the steering bar is really sloppy. Is this a common problem on these quads? Is there a good way to fix it?

Also, I was trying to pull the handle grips off to really clean them up better, but they wouldn't budge. Any special tricks to removing them?

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5

Edited by - gseric69 on 11/06/2008 23:04:10
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  08:25:36  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I dropped some super 6 motors in the ninja on friday, and when testing it on Sat, discovered the gearboxes were trashed. I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from a freebee. No worries though, I had a spare set of 3B boxes, and dropped them in, and now the thing is running like a champ. The rear wheels are starting to look a little warn, so I'm going to do a wheel rotation soon.

Here's a video of my 3 1/2 year old nephew giving it a good run on 12V with the super 6 motors. This was basically his second time on a power wheels, and he already figured out how to power slide and do donuts. Sorry for the poor quality, I still need to get a better camera.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  08:03:20  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Well my 6 year old nehpew was over and was riding the Ninja, and it was fast for him, but he wanted to go faster, so I decided to try it on 18V. Man did that thing move! But it didn't take long before I could smell the motors heating up, so I guess Super 6 Motors really shouldn't be run on 12V. Now my nephew is only 54lbs, only 12 lbs heavier than my daughter, so I don't think the weight was an issue. I'd like to keep those Super 6's so I'll just keep them on 12V.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  11:49:57  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Well he was riding the Ninja again, on 12V this time, but it died. The 18V must have been too much for the Super 6's. One of them was completely burned up. The other is still good, but I don't have an extra Super 6 to go back in it.
Something else happened to the wiring or switches too, since when I put good, tested, motors back in, nothing worked.

So now I'm torn on what to do with this on. It was cool with 12V super 6 motors, and I could make it fast with 18V on regular motors, but if I were to keep it and troubleshoot whats wrong with it, I probably wouldn't get around to it until I'm finished my Jeep and Apache projects. Plus I have the metal frame Jeep that I plan to lift and make 4wd.
So should I keep this one and fix it, or sell it for parts? Let me know your thoughts.

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  20:39:46  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
The steering slop...... assuming this is the same setup, check out what I did to our Dora Quad, click on it in my signature. Most of the slop is actually flex is the plastic blocks at the wheels. Fortunately, the rest of the setup is pretty decent substantial. Unfortantely, I don't think there's a way to fix it without access to a welder.

Super 6's on 18 volts is definitely pushing it, and the added weight of the bigger rider I'm sure was enough to put it over the edge that much quicker. Are you sure the motors are bad? If swapping them didn't fix it, it's possible the motors are fine and something else is wrong. Though once you get the "too hot" smell, they likely don't have much life left.

As far as reliability vs. speed, I'd think Super 6's on 12 volts is pretty compable to regular 12 volt motors on 18 volts. The 12 volt motors on 18 volts is likely a bit more torque though.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  22:08:58  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Yes, I tested the motors out individually after taking it apart. The one that went bad had it's cooling fins completely melted. The other appears to be fine.

The plan for now it to put this one down in the basement until warmer weather, and maybe some more free time. It definitely has a lot of potential. It was a freebee after all. It's just a shame I killed a super 6. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks for the tips on the steering slop.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  19:49:02  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Resurrected!
I tore apart the Ninja today and replace the butchered wiring harness with the one donated from the blue Ninja. I also had found out what was wrong with the old harness, aside from the mangling it had undergone. Some of the insulation on the wires had melted off and they were shorting out. While I had it apart I painted all the yellow pieces to brighten them up, and replaced the busted foot pedal. Since I only had one good Super 6 motor left, the Ninja is now equipped with standard motors and 18V power.
I also figured out how to fix the sloppy steering. I drilled through the T shaped metal piece through to the steerting shaft and used a metal screw to tie them together and presto, no more slop. Now the handle bars move the steering shaft with no play at all. I forgot to take a picture of it before puttin the plastic covers on though...

Edited by - gseric69 on 04/09/2009 19:55:41
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  04:30:27  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Anything in particular your looking for? My garage and basement seem to be exploding with parts these days.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  19:20:32  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
A couple action shots of the Ninja from today. I got some good video too, so I'll be putting that together and uploading soon.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  13:10:44  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Here's a video of the kids racing around yesterday. I noticed the gears on the Ninja were starting to slip when starting on the grass, so I'll have to take them apart and see how bad they are chewed up. There wasn't any slipping once it got going though, just that initial hard start.

Go to Top of Page

jfoust
Senior Modder

Atlanta
GA
USA

2419 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  06:40:07  Show Profile  Visit jfoust's Homepage
Looking good! Just scored this same type of quad this past weekend. It looks like death incarnate, but it actually runs perfectly!

Question - do you have a model# on it? The sticker on the inside of the battery compartment isn't in bad shape, but there's no model# on it. Don't know what's up with that!

My shifter lever is busted off - the actual switches and everything are good, but the lever is snapped off so you kinf of have to press really hard and you can slide the shifter up and down. I need to pick up a shifter lever and the box that holds the gas pedal, but don't have a model#!

Thanks!

Current Fleet:
Super6 Vette, Grave Digger w/ 19T's, Gaucho Grande, Dora Lil Quad, Eliminator w/ 21T's, 12v Harley, Safety 1st C5R

Scrap Pile (email for parts):
High Torque Gaucho, Red PW Jeep
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  07:13:11  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
The model # is 74110.
I do have a shift lever, although it's pink. It could be painted though.
Hobbymasters sells a complete new shifter
http://www.hobbymasters.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1576

I picked up a blue Ninja I used for parts a few weeks ago and it had the same problem, the shifter worked, but the lever was broken off, so it was nearly impossible to shift it.

I do have an extra gas pedal housing, but the lower half of it does have a small crack in it that I melted back together from the inside.

Go to Top of Page

jfoust
Senior Modder

Atlanta
GA
USA

2419 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  08:53:57  Show Profile  Visit jfoust's Homepage
Thanks for the info - just emailed you about the parts. I'll definitely take them!

Current Fleet:
Super6 Vette, Grave Digger w/ 19T's, Gaucho Grande, Dora Lil Quad, Eliminator w/ 21T's, 12v Harley, Safety 1st C5R

Scrap Pile (email for parts):
High Torque Gaucho, Red PW Jeep
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  12:59:36  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I took apart the Ninja today to fix some issues that had popped up, so I had a chance to take a picture of the simple steering fix I did. I just drilled through the T connector to the steering rod and tied them together with a metal screw and some locktite to keep things together.

I also put the new speedometer/tachometer decal I got from bugman72. The odometer reads Olivia's birthday.

Go to Top of Page

george66

Webster
NY
USA

5 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  11:22:09  Show Profile
I have the same Ninja. I need new tires but the originals are discontinued??? Anyone know what tires are compatible?

Also - If I move up to 18 volts, what motors should I use?
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  15:06:36  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
The stock motors will be fine on 18V, the problem is the #3 gearboxes it has. They just aren't as strong as the #7s. I've gone through 3 sets already on it with 18V.

Wheels are a tough one. Your best bet is to see if you can find some used ones. I think wheels from the Bigfoot Models like my Blue Thunder will fit too. I haven't tried for sure, but they appear to be the same size.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  07:44:13  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Check out the definitive gearbox thread in the FAQ section. It will tell you all you need to know about the gearboxes.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2206
The #7s are a lot bigger than the #3's and won't fit in the Ninja rear without some major cutting. Not to say it can't be done. Wheres did it, and as you can see, they stick out a lot.

As for finding them. The cheapest way would be to find a 12V donor like a Jeep, but if that doesn't happen, you can post a wanted to by thread in the for sale section, or even check Ebay (just watch for inflated prices there)

Edited by - gseric69 on 06/18/2009 07:54:56
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  10:59:15  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
The 4th set of 3B gearboxes blew out yesterday, so now it's time to either try putting in some Metal Frame gearboxes or seeing if I can squeeze some #7s in there using the pictures Artax posted in his build as a guide.

The extra set of Metal frame gearboxes I have are 11T, so they might be slower than the 3Bs, but if I do use them I could try bumping this one up to 24V and see what happens.

Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:44:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gseric69

Check out the definitive gearbox thread in the FAQ section. It will tell you all you need to know about the gearboxes.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2206
The #7s are a lot bigger than the #3's and won't fit in the Ninja rear without some major cutting. Not to say it can't be done. Wheres did it, and as you can see, they stick out a lot.

As for finding them. The cheapest way would be to find a 12V donor like a Jeep, but if that doesn't happen, you can post a wanted to by thread in the for sale section, or even check Ebay (just watch for inflated prices there)

LOL, my kfx has the same external gearbox thing going on. Only with metal frame jeep boxes.

------------------------------------------------
Screamin Demon (600 watt scooter motor, 36v scooter controller)
Red Harley (trike, 24v scooter controller, 13t MFJ gearboxes/motors)
KFX Quad (24v scooter controller, MFJ 12t gearboxes/motors)
Fire Rescue Jeep (24v scooter controller, 15t #7 gearboxes/motors)
Franken(berry)beast (24v scooter controller, 2-250Watt Scooter motors)
Grave Digger (21T gearboxes)
Super Shock
Razor MX-350 Motorcycle

Projects
--------
Jeep Wrangler (on hold)
Barbie Cruzin Tunes Jeep (24v scooter controller)
TCV Indy Racer (24v scooter controller)
Gator (on hold)
Silverado Dragster (on hold)
Apache (on hold)
Metal big wheel (24v scooter controller)
Jeep Aftershock
Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  15:05:48  Show Profile
quote:

The 4th set of 3B gearboxes blew out yesterday, so now it's time to either try putting in some Metal Frame gearboxes or seeing if I can squeeze some #7s in there using the pictures Artax posted in his build as a guide.

The extra set of Metal frame gearboxes I have are 11T, so they might be slower than the 3Bs, but if I do use them I could try bumping this one up to 24V and see what happens.

If you need any more pictures let me know, I still have mine in pieces. Also might be nice to get some pics of yours opened up so we can compare the shells that came with #3 and #7 gearboxes.

Click picture to view project blog!!
Go to Top of Page

DougK
Journeyman Modder

London

Canada

154 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  07:15:15  Show Profile
Stick with the metal frame, then pump in the power!!! :)... I think the Metal frame gears look better anyway installed then then #7 then you don't have them hanging out either sure they would breath better but if the metal frame are suppose to be stronger why use a weaker product? Or if you got with #7 try and install them like in Artax Ninja so it still looks clean and original.

Granted I am a 12T metal gearbox on 24v anyway seems to zing along pretty nice even on 18volt it's pretty solid, then if you shave the inside of the casing down near the bottom of the final drive gear this could free it up abit and reduces noise as well.

Although with #7 then you could install the big 14" tires on the back lol... really beef it up :)

99 Ninja Quad W/Metal Frame Gearbox and 700 motors and 24 volt.

94 Metal Frame Jeep on 24V.

Edited by - DougK on 08/12/2009 07:31:11
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  17:29:09  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Well I finally found a way to fit #7 Gearboxes in the rear of these Green and Blue Ninja quads that originally came with #3 gearboxes in them. After the 4th set of #3s went out on this one, I decided to try to get away from them alltogether. I wanted to do it without having them stick out like some mutant growths, and came up with a solution.
Read all about it here: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12733

Edited by - gseric69 on 10/10/2009 17:30:32
Go to Top of Page

cbuggy
Journeyman Modder

USA

207 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  17:57:32  Show Profile
You are the man .I hope to be just like you when i grow up .lolllllllll
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  11:10:41  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
And here is my newest addition, a very nice Blue Ninja that I picked up for $10. The right rear 3B gearbox was shot, but everything else was fine on it, so it became a prime candidate for the #7 Gearbox Mod I just did to a 3B rearend. Here are the after shots with the new rear and 19T #7s installed in it.

Go to Top of Page

rollndice83
Expert Modder

Lansdale
PA
USA

850 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  11:17:06  Show Profile
Nice! I wish the older Suzuki Quad i have would have the plastic molding in the back like the Ninjas to hide some of the mess. I found 2 different ways to put #7s on the back of the Suzuki but it looks odd. But it is fully functional so for racing reasons it will do.

When 18V is to slow...Time to go to 50cc quads
88 Super 6Volt Corvette Project
90 Suzuki Quad Super6 on 12V
12V F-150
12V Suzuki 3-Wheeler(2WD Super6)Current Project
Lifted Fire Rescue Jeep(Upgrading to 21T 18V)
WildThing Super6 Volt
12V Harley(WIP)
Original 6V PW Hot Rod
Go to Top of Page

MustangFreak
Senior Modder

San Antonio
Texas
USA

1221 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  12:46:27  Show Profile  Visit MustangFreak's Homepage  Send MustangFreak a Yahoo! Message
So that is what my quads are supposed to look like... I have both of those just sitting in my "future project" section.

I'm not an addict, addicts have the potential to quit.
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  19:18:31  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
The nice weather allowed the kids to have some fun outside today. Got some video of the Blue Ninja in action witht he 19T #7s in it. The McQueen has since been upgraded to 21T gearboxes as well, and turned out to be faster than the quad with the 19T gearboxes, even though the quad has taller wheels and both were on 18V.
The Ninja #7 GB modification performed great, so I'm looking forward to doing it again on the Green Ninja. I just need to get some time to do it now.

Go to Top of Page

RICKYVB
Senior Modder

TAMPA
FLORIDA
USA

1265 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  08:03:17  Show Profile
21T at 18volts seems to be the best setup by far for me.
Reliable and fast.Cool videos.
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  17:11:14  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by RICKYVB

21T at 18volts seems to be the best setup by far for me.
Reliable and fast.Cool videos.

Thanks,
I'm really liking that combo too. I might have to put some 21T in the quads and see how they do. Man I hate taking those rear ends apart though.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  15:42:01  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
You got my mind going now. I think I'm going to put the new 21T gearboxes I just got in the Dora Quad When I put it back together. Results to come....

Edited by - gseric69 on 10/23/2009 15:42:40
Go to Top of Page

larold83
Apprentice Modder

85 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  14:54:16  Show Profile
were do you guys usualy get ur batt. from and when you put 12v and a 6v in the quads do you have to cut anything out
Go to Top of Page

Modmom32
Expert Modder

Cookeville
Tennessee
USA

830 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  15:37:14  Show Profile  Visit Modmom32's Homepage
Very cool and I see you have a wild thing...nice... that could be a cool side car, what have you done to this?
quote:

The nice weather allowed the kids to have some fun outside today. Got some video of the Blue Ninja in action witht he 19T #7s in it. The McQueen has since been upgraded to 21T gearboxes as well, and turned out to be faster than the quad with the 19T gearboxes, even though the quad has taller wheels and both were on 18V.
The Ninja #7 GB modification performed great, so I'm looking forward to doing it again on the Green Ninja. I just need to get some time to do it now.

*arctic Shark snowmobile (beng modified again, scooter) but works!
*indianaJones Harley *desert bike *desert Challenger street bike *saftey 1st Chopper *SF viper*Herbie fully loaded via remote 12v....18v if lucky *gravedigger *mx350 *john deer tractor( still his favorite) *blue flame bigfoot *A151 * qty 2 twin 700* mx3 trike n 2 powerrider nascars (DALE SR n used to be #24 now General Lee) SOLD> 12v herbie
AMY
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  19:49:09  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by larold83

were do you guys usualy get ur batt. from and when you put 12v and a 6v in the quads do you have to cut anything out

I had been getting most of my batteries from Power-Cell (Zeus brand)
from their Ebay store. They seem to have a limited availability lately of the 12AH batteries I like though, but I haven't needed to order any for a while. Gruber is also a common place to get them on here. Both stores are posted in the Market Prices for Ebay Batteries thread

Nothing has needed to be cut, but I usually remove the battery hold down bar since it doesn't fit the 12V 12AH batteries I use.

Modmom, so far I haven't done anything to the Wild Thing except for cleaning the switches to get it working right again. It's a Super 6, and it already spins my daughter silly as is, I'm kind of nervous about overvolting it actually. She already got so dizzy once, she went down hard on the driveway when she tried to get off it.

Edited by - gseric69 on 10/28/2009 19:50:52
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  06:53:30  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
The Dora quad is all cleaned up and back together now. I dropped in the new 21T gearboxes I got from the Harley Parts bin, so I'm looking forward to seeing the results. If it does well, I may have to replace the 19T GB's in the other two quads with 21T's as well
The kids are on a field trip to Gettysburg today, so I'll have to wait for some action.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  22:52:21  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
We finally had enough days without rain so the swamp that was my backyard dried up and was able to provide some good ride time.
Olivia loved the speed the 21T's offered in the Dora quad. When she hopped on the Blue Ninja afterwards she asked me to make that one faster too. I guess I shouldn't have sold so many of the 21T gearboxes I had. Oh well, I'm sure I'll come across more eventually.
So here's some video. She was doing some crazy power slides on the driveway too, but I didn't manage to get video of those.

Go to Top of Page

MustangFreak
Senior Modder

San Antonio
Texas
USA

1221 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  23:57:35  Show Profile  Visit MustangFreak's Homepage  Send MustangFreak a Yahoo! Message
Wow, that thing flys. It looks like that goes faster than my sons mustang on 18v... are the quad tires bigger?

I know how you feel about the rain... South Texas has been in a drought for years, and this year for some odd reason it has rained a ton... and when it rains, it floods. Then it takes at least 3 days for it to dry up.

Im glad that Im not the only one with swamp problems lol.

I'm not an addict, addicts have the potential to quit.
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  09:47:31  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by FjCruiser

Wow, that thing flys. It looks like that goes faster than my sons mustang on 18v... are the quad tires bigger?

I think they may be taller. The Quad tires are 11.5" tall. I know they are bigger than Lightning McQueen wheels, which only come with 19T GB's. I think the Mustang wheels are pretty close in size to Lightning McQueens.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  17:04:06  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage

Well the 21T's didn't last long. I'm not sure if it was a bad gearbox or what, but the pinion for the first gear must have been loose. It looks like it wobbled around in there, and dug itself large holes on both sides of the housing, and made a nice large hole in the center of the first gear too. Maybe it was too much riding it on 18V with them, and the torque pushed it around. This was one of my brand new GB's, so I'm not too happy right now. Since I'm running low on 21T's, I'm putting 19T's back in for now. Also going to take apart the other 21T and inspect it before using it again.
It sucks that it killed the housing, I have plenty of extra gears but housings are harder to come by. The grease is also filled with tiny plastic bits throughout, so it can't be saved either.

BLAH!

Go to Top of Page

tdkarl

Jacksonville
Florida
USA

16 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  17:04:24  Show Profile
quote:

Well the 21T's didn't last long. I'm not sure if it was a bad gearbox or what, but the pinion for the first gear must have been loose. It looks like it wobbled around in there, and dug itself large holes on both sides of the housing, and made a nice large hole in the center of the first gear too. Maybe it was too much riding it on 18V with them, and the torque pushed it around. This was one of my brand new GB's, so I'm not too happy right now. Since I'm running low on 21T's, I'm putting 19T's back in for now. Also going to take apart the other 21T and inspect it before using it again.
It sucks that it killed the housing, I have plenty of extra gears but housings are harder to come by. The grease is also filled with tiny plastic bits throughout, so it can't be saved either.

BLAH!

So I just read through this long thread, alot of good info... just picked up a Ninja today... Gambler and I did some trading... so whats the verdict on the upgrades and what to do and not to do??? 18v to much? I would like to upgrade mine but dont want to waste monet and burn stuff up...

Tony K.
Jacksonville, Florida
PW Fire Jeep
PW Ninja Quad
Dumar Raptor
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  18:10:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tdkarl

So I just read through this long thread, alot of good info... just picked up a Ninja today... Gambler and I did some trading... so whats the verdict on the upgrades and what to do and not to do??? 18v to much? I would like to upgrade mine but dont want to waste monet and burn stuff up...

My take was to go with 19T and 18V.
21T was too much, and it's a pity, since the 21T gearboxes are so rare.

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  19:20:03  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Divinar

My take was to go with 19T and 18V.
21T was too much, and it's a pity, since the 21T gearboxes are so rare.

Yea, for now, I'm going to keep the 19T's in there. I'm not sure if I just had a bad gearbox, or if it was too much for it. The Dora quad has been giving me trouble in general though, so if I get adventurous again, I may try putting 21T's in the Green Ninja.

With the stock 3B gearboxes, be prepared for stripped gears sooner or later on 18V. Even on 12V, these quads are notorious for stripping gears in the 3B's. I'm sure that is the reason the newer quads like the Dora one now come with #7's.

Go to Top of Page

tdkarl

Jacksonville
Florida
USA

16 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  15:04:35  Show Profile
quote:
With the stock 3B gearboxes, be prepared for stripped gears sooner or later on 18V. Even on 12V, these quads are notorious for stripping gears in the 3B's. I'm sure that is the reason the newer quads like the Dora one now come with #7's.

So I think the stock gear boxes are striping, whenever my kid put his foot on the gas you hear a grinding noise that goes away as soon as it starts moving. So did you find a gear box that would hold up to 18v? Also if I do upgrade the battery to 18v do i also have to upgrade the motors. Or does this thing pretty much only run efficiently with the stock setup?

Tony K.
Jacksonville, Florida
PW Fire Jeep
PW Ninja Quad
Dumar Raptor
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  16:19:00  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by tdkarl

So I think the stock gear boxes are striping, whenever my kid put his foot on the gas you hear a grinding noise that goes away as soon as it starts moving. So did you find a gear box that would hold up to 18v? Also if I do upgrade the battery to 18v do i also have to upgrade the motors. Or does this thing pretty much only run efficiently with the stock setup?

The #7 gearboxes hold up to 18V much better than the 3B's, but you'll have to modify the rear to fit them. You can either do something like the picture near the middle of the thread where they are shown hanging halfway out, or do what I did and Modify the rear to fit the #7 gearboxes inside it. I would stick with 19T #7's, as stated in my last post.
If you get #7 gearboxes, get the motors with them.

The stock motors will hold up ok to 18V. Mods always shorten the life of the equipment, but you should get a nice long run if nothing else is changed like going to 21T gearboxes, or adding larger wheels.

Go to Top of Page

DougK
Journeyman Modder

London

Canada

154 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  17:28:37  Show Profile
You could also try as I did provided you have some but put metal frame jeep gearboxes into it, from what I've read/heard they will hold up to 24volt fairly well, and the gears are stronger then that of the #7 gearboxes.. I toasted one #7 with 24volt, but so for my ninja is running metal frame gearboxes at 24volt for about 5-6 months now , just recently took them apart and no signs of plastic grindings, or moving pinions everything seems pretty secure yet..

99 Ninja Quad W/Metal Frame Gearbox and 700 motors and 24 volt.

94 Metal Frame Jeep on 24V.
Go to Top of Page

tdkarl

Jacksonville
Florida
USA

16 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  17:14:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DougK

You could also try as I did provided you have some but put metal frame jeep gearboxes into it, from what I've read/heard they will hold up to 24volt fairly well, and the gears are stronger then that of the #7 gearboxes.. I toasted one #7 with 24volt, but so for my ninja is running metal frame gearboxes at 24volt for about 5-6 months now , just recently took them apart and no signs of plastic grindings, or moving pinions everything seems pretty secure yet..

what all has to be replaced to run 24v? gear box, wiring harness, motors?

Tony K.
Jacksonville, Florida
PW Fire Jeep
PW Ninja Quad
Dumar Raptor
Go to Top of Page

GRS
Apprentice Modder

Utah

90 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  23:20:54  Show Profile
quote:

Also, I was trying to pull the handle grips off to really clean them up better, but they wouldn't budge. Any special tricks to removing them?

It looks like you got the new grips on. What did you end up doing to get them off?

Small Harley Davidson (Grey/Blue)
Lil' Kawasaki (Green)
Gaucho Grande (Yellow)
Gaucho John Deere 4x4 (Yellow/Green)
Kawasaki Ninja (Faded)

Edited by - GRS on 12/29/2009 23:26:27
Go to Top of Page

larold83
Apprentice Modder

85 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  08:02:52  Show Profile
ok need a shopping list i have 2 ninja quads to build please tell me everything i need what batts,motors,and gear boxes and in between thanks oh and i'm looking for a set of tires off the blue quad one with the yellow rims my black quad has a plastic bushing that keeps everything in line and i miss placed it so now i need some new wheels
Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  11:23:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by larold83

ok need a shopping list i have 2 ninja quads to build please tell me everything i need what batts,motors,and gear boxes and in between thanks oh and i'm looking for a set of tires off the blue quad one with the yellow rims my black quad has a plastic bushing that keeps everything in line and i miss placed it so now i need some new wheels

Can he come build it for you too?

Just kidding.

(pics link to threads)

Fast, Reliable, and Cheap... Pick any two.
Go to Top of Page

larold83
Apprentice Modder

85 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  11:52:31  Show Profile
no i got that under control lol just need a list of everthing i need i know the size of gear box just want to know what motors fit the #7 gear box
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: