These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Read This First (FAQ's)
 FAQ - How do I lube my gearbox?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  15:18:20  Show Profile
If you have not lubed your gearbox before, there is normally enough extra factory grease slung around inside the gearbox to perform a relube. Just open the gearbox, remove the gears, wipe up the excess grease and place it on a piece of wax paper or empty butter dish. With the butter dish you can save any extra for later. Then, as you re-assemble the gears in the gearbox, add grease to the gear shafts, gear teeth, and the sides of the gearbox and sides of the gears where they meet.

If you have done this already or there is not enough extra grease, it's time to do a complete clean and regrease. Wipe out all excess grease with paper towel, then submerse the gearbox and gears in a bucket of warm/hot water and a plastic safe degreaser. I like to use Simple Green. Use a toothbrush to completely clean the gearbox and gears.

Once everything is completely clean and dry, it's time to decide on a grease to use. Some people like to use a heavier wheel bearing grease throughout the gearbox, but some feel this adds too much drag to the gearbox. Others like to use a much lighter white lithium grease throughout. Some have even split hairs and used wheel bearing grease on the gear shafts and white lithium on the gear teeth. Just be careful when mixing grease of different types as some are not compatible with others and may attack the plastic gears and/or gearbox.

Whatever grease you decide to use, check the gearbox periodically to see if more grease is needed and for wear.

****Testing the limits of Fisher Price engineering on a daily basis.****

Edited by - swhenrik on 10/03/2007 14:53:25

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  18:50:13  Show Profile
Greasing the gearbox

i dont know if there is a recomeneded grease but the grease that is in the gearboxes from the factory has a kind of wax in it too for stickyness( if i can remember what tiddler said), i use a really thick axle grease to redo mine, but you need to be careful that if you mix the two greases that they do not react with each other. i know that some kinds of grease dont do well to gether, meaning that it will make a kind of paste or glue instead of being lubricative (is that a word?)

i put it on all the big gear teeth, not the small ones(i figure they will get all they need when they make contact with the big teeth) and just a tad on the inner race of the gear itself.

i try to redistribute the grease thats in there and if the box has good grease i take it out and store it aside. then i clean the whole box and see if there is enough grease to go around, if not then i use the axle grease for both boxes and save the other grease for another gearbox. so far i have had no failure due to grease, that i can prove.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: