These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Read This First (FAQ's)
 FAQ - How do I install a new battery?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chopper

Illinois
USA

1228 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  13:07:42  Show Profile  Visit chopper's Homepage  Click to see chopper's MSN Messenger address
Start here:

FAQ - What batteries to use, and where to buy them

Some changes can be made to your wiring for different battery options. Methods, pros and cons, etc are listed here:
The Definitive "Wiring diagram" thread

If putting in an aftermarket battery, don't forget to install a fuse or breaker. More info can be found here:
FAQ - Do I need an inline fuse/circuit breaker?

For more options on connectors to use, check here:
FAQ - Battery connectors

Stock Power Wheels chargers aren't very good, so take a peek at this:
FAQ - Which charger should I use?

Info on battery basics:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com

This video should be helpful also:
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/page.aspx?pageid=battery_connectors_video

Edited by - swhenrik on 05/16/2008 08:30:17

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  08:44:43  Show Profile
please pay attention----DO NOT PLACE BATTERIES OF DIFFERENT VOLTAGES IN PARALLEL.
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=67509
click on the link an read the things that can happen.

Peg Perego Battery replacement:

The above post is for Power Wheels batteries and aftermarket batteries. This post is for taking an aftermarket Gruber battery and putting it in a Peg Perego battery battery case. Typically a 12 volt 12 AH battery.

This is your typical peg battery:

To open it up you need to gently pry apart the strap from the top of the battery case, where the plastic nib is. The screw driver is at the bottom to hold the strap open for the pic.

When you lift the cover, this is what you find:

The small silver box is the breaker, usually a 30 amp, but some older models may have a 25 amp, and the positive connector. It does come off easy but you have to push down on the little metal thing on the back of the connector. The conn. has a little metal nib that sticks up through a hole in the center of the male spade sticking out of the battery. If you dont push down on this it makes it quite hard to get off.

After you get it off, this is what you got:

Now all you have to do is to put the new battery (from gruber) in it place and put the connectors on and your done.

***Here is a little mod i did to keep the battery breaker from tripping, because for the life of me i could not get it to stop.

I took the breaker and some extra rubber off to make it flush so I could plug it on the battery:

Now i have 12volts unprotected to the ride on so I put a fuse holder inline with the plug:

And put a 40 amp fuse in its place.

Why a fuse you say? And on the outside, you say?

Well... I had to make sure I could replace it with out taking the battery apart every time the fuse blew and I wanted to make sure it was the battery fuse/breaker that was causing the trouble.

Long story short, what I finally found was the switches had just enough current loss to cause the breaker to trip, very aggrivating, so no matter what I did to the battery and breaker nothing would have fixed the problem.

So what I am saying is, if there is a breaker tripping then make sure you check everything, switches, breakers, wiring, connectors all that, because I view this as a last resort, I hate hacking a good battery connecor and wiring. The frustration I had with this made me do a write up about switch cleaning. So I guess it isn't all bad.

FAQ - switch maintenance

free is always better

Edited by - gameboy on 10/15/2009 18:40:46
Go to Top of Page

sltintexas

7 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  19:19:08  Show Profile
I followed the instructions on the video listed above ( http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/page.aspx?pageid=battery_connectors_video ).

The only issue I have is you end up with a male connector coming off the battery cable on the positive terminal. I don't know how much power the battery has got, but it always makes me a little nervous having an exposed lead flopping around when moving the battery out of the jeep etc. I may end up redoing it so that on the positive side is the female end on the cable coming off the battery.

Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  20:26:49  Show Profile
you could always use shielded quick connects. they will look like the ones in the pic, bottom, middle, blue ones. both male and female.

Insert Image:

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: