These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Extreme Jeep Makeover, PW Edition
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  20:51:11  Show Profile
This project Jeep started life as a Barbie Crusin' Tunes model 74340. It was purchased new as a gift for my daughter by her aunt and uncle and was driven literaly miles and miles by its "original owner".
It spent a number of years under our deck fading away until it was pulled out and given a new paint job for its new owner-Jameson. He wasn't too interested and the batteries were dead, so it sat for another 9 months or so until I found this site and Ryan Hull's.
That's when my whole attitude and outlook on Power Wheels changed, and new life was breathed into the old Barbie Jeep thanks to new Gruber batteries.
The history of the "project Jeep" up to the scooter drive mod can be read over on Ryan's site. Here's the link to the index page of all entries:http://www.ryanhull.com/forums2/weblog_allentries.php?w=9

59.32 KB

Power Wheels, How bad have you got it?

See my project page:http://www.ryanhull.com/forums2/weblog.php?w=9

Edited by - Jamesonsdad on 11/29/2006 20:06:01

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  16:44:29  Show Profile
Jameson finally drove the project Jeep this weekend! Up until last weekend he would only ride a PW shotgun with his older sister.

Last weekend was the breakthrough when he drove the stock Firerock by himself. During the week he would mention driving the "black" Jeep but then would chicken out and get in the Firerock.

Well Saturday he did it. He drove for about 10 minutes on low speed before I switched it to high for him. He smiled as the rear tires were spinning, but when they caught and it took off he stopped imediately. I'm sure now it's only a matter of a few weeks before he'll only drive it in high speed.

Once I have some time and get the 24v scooter controller installed I'll have to think seriously about a remote kill switch!
Also, I still haven't locked the spring loaded belt tensioners in place but hope that doing so will stop the belt slip when braking.

Here's a couple of Firerock pictures. Yes, first week and he's already driving with one hand at times.

31.87 KB

26.73 KB

Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  13:49:24  Show Profile
Well I went to put the new scooter controller in the project jeep and it still didnít work.
It turns out that the thumb throttle is defective also. The new controller works fine with the twist throttle I have, so I guess I need to buy a new thumb throttle and pay postage again.

I put the old controller in with the working throttle and it ran wide open all the time, so I guess the old controller is shot too.

Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  18:38:09  Show Profile
Well after some thought I have decided to scrap the scooter controller for this project. The Jeep is plenty fast on 12v and 24v might just be too much with this drive set-up.

On some good advice from swhenrik I locked down the belt tensioners. This stopped the belt from slipping during braking and while reversing. Now it has a reliable 2 speeds forward and reverse. The only thing not tested is how it does in the grass.

One other mod I did was to put bicycle tire rubber on the front tires to help with the handling (pushing). I used one 26" tire, cut off the sidewalls and attached the tread portion with drywall screws. I ended up with about 4" of tread left over. It works like a charm, as those who have already done it know.

Future mods will be along the lines of lights/horn/PVC rollbar etc...There's no shortage of ideas on this site!

09/18/06 If you are interested in putting a scooter motor drive in your PW now is the time to act! K-man has 10 motor bikes for sale with the same drives (motor/belt/gear) that I used in my project. Check out the for sale section.

See my project pages:Old Ryan Hull Site Blog*****NEW!***** Modified Power Wheels BLOG!
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  08:35:50  Show Profile
Made a couple of timed speed runs today. I marked out a 50' course and had the test driver run each direction as I timed the runs. There wasn't enough room to get fully up to speed before hitting the start line, but it was close and I wanted some idea of how fast it is.
Bottom line was mid 7mph range for the average of both directions. I'm guessing the speed will be in the upper 7mph, maybe 8mph when measured over a greater distance on flat open surface. (I have a hunch my test driver was letting off early because of the rapidly aproaching curb.)
When time permits we'll go on a road trip to the nearby school track and measure it again.
I took some video this morning also and will post a link to it as soon as I figure out how to upload it. Probably in a few days.

See my project pages:Old Ryan Hull Site Blog*****NEW!***** Modified Power Wheels BLOG!
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  06:18:01  Show Profile
Here is some video of the project Jeep in action with my "test pilot" at the wheel.

Last night Jameson and a neighbor girl took turns driving the Jeep "high speed" They both had a blast. They laughed the hardest when bouncing over the curb into and out of the grass. I was cringing at the beating they were inflicting on "my baby", but was glad to see Jameson finally enjoying his toy.

PowerSlide

Donuts in the Project Jeep

Go to Top of Page

K-man
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

484 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  14:30:30  Show Profile
Just to clarify, could you say what voltage the jeep is running on in the videos? Is it without the controller? It looks pretty fast to me.

Now that you have all the engineering done it looks like the way you designed it you could just un-bolt the rear assembly and move it to anything you wanted, like ANYTHING.

I don't think I have ever heard a powerwheels jeep "sound" like that! Awesome job and thanks for sharing the videos.
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  20:11:52  Show Profile
Thanks K-man. The Jeep is running on straight 12v with a stock wiring harness (10ga wire mod). It's plenty fast for now. And yes your right, the drive end is modular so it could be transplanted into something else. I hadn't planned it that way but it does present some interesting posibilities.

Last week the gas switch bit the dust. Jameson and the neighbor were driving for about 30 minutes mixed grass and pavement when it just died. The switch was warm to the touch and had no continuity. Luckily I had a spare and they were up and running again shortly.

Here's a new video of Jameson driving the Jeep. Jameson driving It amazes me how quickly he caught on to driving it. I'd like to do some light mods and a new roll bar-but real life keeps getting in the way.

Edited by - Jamesonsdad on 10/10/2006 20:15:16
Go to Top of Page

unclemikesdog
Apprentice Modder

colorado springs
co
USA

50 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  15:13:38  Show Profile
Whats the build sheet look like for this PW? Ihave one like it and am interested in a similar project.

If it can't be Modded, I don't want it!
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  04:33:24  Show Profile
Here's the thread where I documented most of the build up:http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=403
I got lucky in getting the scooter drives I did, but you can always get all the parts you need for a chain drive setup at TNC scooters.

See my project pages:Old Ryan Hull Site Blog Modified Power Wheels BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  18:46:12  Show Profile
Here's a couple pictures of the business end of the Jeep. I have been having trouble with the stock pedal switches burning up after running in the grass for a while so today I bought a starter solenoid meant for a Ford F150 and wired it in. Jameson was so happy to finally get his Jeep back that he drove it all afternoon until the 18AH battery quit. Happily the new setup works in the grass as well as on the road.

Insert Image:

Insert Image:

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  19:43:45  Show Profile
Good to see you back on the board! The set up on that Jeep is awesome - so good it looks factory. Do the motors get hot at all? Does it have a lot of torque for off road use?

Any new projects coming down the pipeline?

****Testing the limits of Fisher Price engineering on a daily basis.****
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  15:33:15  Show Profile
How about some performance specs?

It's my Little Deuce Coupe...You don't know what I got.
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  12:12:31  Show Profile
Good to be back. The motors and wiring run cool, even after extended runs. There is enough torque to run the hills in my yard but it is no rock crawler
I don't have a GPS so I don't have any real numbers. I keep saying I'm going to take it to the local school running track and do some timed circuits at 12 and 24 volts but so far that hasn't happened. It is considerably faster than stock even at 12v.

***UPDATE***

Got a GPS finally and let Jameson take it for a ride. He was watching it so intently he almost hit a mailbox. Not good.
Anyways, in the cul-de-sac the max speed was 9.2mph on a fully charged battery. After running for a bit the speed dropped to 8.7mph.

Edited by - Jamesonsdad on 05/27/2007 19:24:26
Go to Top of Page

Grant
Senior Modder

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

1820 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  21:12:51  Show Profile  Visit Grant's Homepage
That is not to bad at all, I am guess that is at 12 volts?

http://www.youtube.com/GauchoDrift

Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  19:28:28  Show Profile
Yea Grant, those speeds are at 12v. I'm almost afraid to try it at 24v since once Jameson gets a taste of it he may not be satisfied with just 12v. Not sure how safe it would be to have him jumping curbs and drifting around mailboxes at 15+ MPH I'm pretty sure his mom wouldn't approve!

Go to Top of Page

firecracker

Benton
Arkansas
USA

6 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  19:07:18  Show Profile
Awesome Job!!

I know what I'm going to persue now!
Go to Top of Page

Grant
Senior Modder

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

1820 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  23:56:25  Show Profile  Visit Grant's Homepage
That is pretty impressive for 12volts. Is it possible to run 18volts at all?

You would definately need some decent space to run it at 24volts, would be great to see though.

http://www.youtube.com/GauchoDrift
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: