These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Barbie Cruisin Tunes upgrade for my son
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tinman162

Modesto
California
USA

16 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  13:11:50  Show Profile
Project started Saturday August 02, 2008

Hello all!

I'm new here and would like to tell you all about this project. Monday of last week my son was playing out back and asked me to come outside and play with him. While doing so I noticed my daughters old Barbie Cruisin Tunes jeep was looking in pretty poor shape. I don't manage to make it out back with him as much as I would like and had all but forgotten about the jeep. My daughter lost interest in it long ago but the wife did try to charge it up a few months back for my son. Unfortunately the old original battery would no longer hold a charge. While sitting out back I looked over the poor battered jeep and thought "well with a little paint and a new battery maybe the boy would like it." My mind started to wonder at this point and I thought to myself "maybe even some upgraded batteries or even motors... wow we could even add a horn". The itch had started! I then said to my wife "I bet people have already done this kind of thing" and like I often do when I need info I hopped on Google and thank Fisher Price came across the modified power wheels site!

Every day after work that week I jumped on this site and researched some ideas as well as stumbled across ideas I hadn't thought of which needed to be added to my new found itch. Tons of great info was found and by Friday I was ready to start scratching. So Saturday morning after breakfast the son and I went down to Orchard Supply Hardware and got 4 cans of flat black Rustoleum paint for plastic, 2 cans of Rustoleum silver hammered paint for plastic, and one can of metallic silver for the roll bar.

Here are some early pics of the project. We have started off with just paint and push nut removable mods for now as I cant decide on a battery/charger arrangement at this time. Here are the before pictures.

54.93 KB

47.09 KB

91.58 KB

86.26 KB

Here are the after pictures.

92.86 KB

91.59 KB

86.39 KB

82.23 KB

The purple wheels will stay for now and with all the driving I hope he ends up doing with his upgraded batteries maybe he will try and wear them out so we have a good reason to buy black ones. But I actually kind of like how the purple looks against the black.

Update Sunday 03, 2008

Well after much back and forth with battery and charger info I finally decided on 3 6V 12ah SLA's from Gruber and a Schumacher 600A charger from Amazon for $15. Now the waiting begins.

Current Project with my son our first PW mod

Edited by - tinman162 on 05/24/2009 17:05:47

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  20:27:23  Show Profile
You just need to find a super-hero with a purple costume put that sticker on the hood. Problem solved. I think there is a bad guy actually called Purple Man. And there was a purple version of Superman at one point for some reason.

They say the waiting is the hardest part.

------------------------------------------------
Screamin Demon (600 watt scooter motor, 36v scooter controller)
Red Harley (trike, 24v scooter controller, 13t MFJ gearboxes/motors)
KFX Quad (24v scooter controller, MFJ 12t gearboxes/motors)
Fire Rescue Jeep (24v scooter controller, 15t #7 gearboxes/motors)
Franken(berry)beast (24v scooter controller, 2-250Watt Scooter motors)
Grave Digger (21T gearboxes)
Super Shock
Razor MX-350 Motorcycle

Projects
--------
Jeep Wrangler (on hold)
Barbie Cruzin Tunes Jeep (24v scooter controller)
TCV Indy Racer (24v scooter controller)
Gator (on hold)
Silverado Dragster (on hold)
Apache (on hold)
Metal big wheel (24v scooter controller)
Jeep Aftershock
Go to Top of Page

tinman162

Modesto
California
USA

16 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  16:58:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by treebeme

You just need to find a super-hero with a purple costume put that sticker on the hood.

Funny you say that because my son wants flames and skulls on the Jeep as graphics (he wants a Ghost Rider theme) and we found these.

http://www.edecals.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=edecals&Product_Code=FLM862

He likes the purple but I like the yellow. I want to put the flaming skulls on the hood and these on the side.

http://www.edecals.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=edecals&Product_Code=FLM982

And these on the back

http://www.edecals.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=edecals&Product_Code=FLM977

They are very pricey but he will love them very much. What do you guys think? Any sites that you can recommend with similar stickers that are cheaper?

EDIT: I just found these! hmmm this might be an even better route.

http://cooolstuff4u.amazonwebstore.com/Ghost-Rider-Sticker/M/B001839WZW.htm?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

Edited by - tinman162 on 08/04/2008 17:02:55
Go to Top of Page

tinman162

Modesto
California
USA

16 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  16:35:42  Show Profile
Update: Saturday August 09, 2008

Well the batteries showed up pretty fast. So did the wire and Deans Ultra plugs I ordered. I'm still waiting on the charger though . I wired the batteries with the Deans plugs so we can run all three of them in series and get the 18 volts and when it comes time to charge them we will be able to unplug the batteries from the serial adapter at all 3 Deans plugs then charge them all in parallel at once with a similar adapter I will be fabricating but in parallel of course. I did come up with this on my own and thought it was an original idea until I found this post from about 6 months ago. This site is so informative, just when I thought I did something new to add to the community..... its already been done oh well. Here is a picture of the batteries all wired up.

67.24 KB

I got the female power wheels connector from the old dead battery and I wired in that 35AMP circuit breaker as well. After everything was all wired together I thought that there was no way the batteries would have been shipped with a charge but we wanted to see anyway. To our surprise there was about 20 minutes of run time in the batters. We took it out in the street and let my son take it for a ride. He loved it to say the least! We drove it around the corner to the local park and drove it on the grass for the rest of the charge. The wiring and the Deans plugs never got very worm at all. Now if only that damn charger would show up! UPS says it will be here Wednesday.

Here is a link to a video of my son ripping it up for the first time!

Thanks to all you fine people and your great forum. There is such a wealth of information here I was able to find all my answers with very little trouble, mostly by using the search function while at the same time finding new ideas and concerns I hadn't thought to ask.

Next project will be to do something about that hard breaking its doing now. Maybe a break pedal or maybe to just lessen the current brake function.. I dont know yet, the options are many. Now were did I put that link to that post muuhahaha.

Edited by - tinman162 on 05/24/2009 17:18:37
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  09:37:15  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by tinman162

[b].....3 Deans plugs..... I did come up with this on my own and thought it was an original idea until I found this post from about 6 months ago.
Well, you can redeem some of your pride.... I drew the pic for ideas for others, and never actually built it.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

tinman162

Modesto
California
USA

16 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  18:39:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik
Well, you can redeem some of your pride....

Haha... well I hope it didn't come across that pathetic sounding. But thank you for the kind words of encouragement and all your very informative past posts.

Go to Top of Page

fatsidney

Dallas
TX
USA

1 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2009 :  18:41:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tinman162

quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik
Well, you can redeem some of your pride....

Haha... well I hope it didn't come across that pathetic sounding. But thank you for the kind words of encouragement and all your very informative past posts.

I have been reading this forum for a while now and finally I am gonna post a question. My girls have the same jeep and the current battery has died so now I am thinking of doing this 18V mod also. I was wondering where you put the three new batteries? Do they fit in the front where the old one went or do I need to cut? I have been reading several posts, but have not found the answer yet.

Thanks, F

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: