These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Speed
 MX3 Controller
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

florida61
Apprentice Modder

98 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  09:36:20  Show Profile
i was thinking about getting this controller for my MX3 but its rated for 80 to 160 watt motors and the mx3 motor doesnt have a wattage on it.Should i get it or not???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7217656564&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

ttuato

Chattanooga
TN

8 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  18:43:31  Show Profile
Do NOT get that controller! You need a 30A controller. I have the controller listed below and the other items. I looked at several electric scooters and realized that the MX3 motor is significantly larger than every 100W motor I could find, and even larger than most 200W and some 300W motors. As such, I deduced that the motor is probably 200W. (I know that isn't exactly scientific but it works) So I decided to go with a controller that would cover 200W and the one listed below is 30A and has a range of 160W to 300W (I figured this was a good margin of error on my guess of 200W. When you get the controller make sure you get a keyed ignition or a 30A toggle switch (see below) and wire it to the "Lock" on the controller. The controller will not work without these wires connected. If you decided to do a toggle make sure that it does not have any lights on it. The light in the switch will pull enough volts to the total voltage below the threshhold for the controller and it will not power up.

Controller
http://www.tncscooters.com/LB27.php

Throttle
http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101100

Toggle Switch
http://www2.northerntool.com/product/21066_21066.htm

Total Cost ~ $25

PS. There is a code for 10% off at TNC Scooters somewhere on this board. I believe the code is PWM-001 or PMW-001. These can be entered on the TNC website www.tncscooters.com
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  07:48:55  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Is there a reason that a large controller can't be used on a small motor? I can't think of anything, but wondering if anyone else has any input.

I tried a coupon code of "MPW-001"... as in "Modified Power Wheels"... and it worked for 10% off.

Edited by - swhenrik on 09/06/2006 07:55:53
Go to Top of Page

EasyGo

24 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  08:16:35  Show Profile
The only potential problem I can see with using a controller that is "too big" is that the factory current limit might be high enough to allow a scooter to burn up the motor if you kept it in a continuous overload.

Outside of scooter-type applications, I'd use the highest-rated controller I could economically justify for the application. Especially with the type of motors used in the Power Wheels, et al, where the motors are operated at heavy load, current demand can be pretty high. If you hit the current limit you'll be limiting the torque. This may be a good thing for saving gearboxes, but a bad thing for the fun factor of spinning tires.

Incidentally, you could potentially change the current limit by changing the current shunt resistor (usually a piece of wire, actually) in the scooter controller... however, some of the controllers are potted in epoxy which would preclude modification.

-EG
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  08:35:00  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Ah yes, good point about potentially burning up motors.

Part of the reason I pondered going "overkill" with the controller, is just in case I do 4wd at some time. I assume doubling the number of wheels driving will NOT double the loads, but I'm sure it will definitely increase.
Go to Top of Page

florida61
Apprentice Modder

98 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  14:04:14  Show Profile
But I still dont see why a smaller controller wouldnt work it just doesnt make any sense to me??? How could the motor ask for more then what the controller is giving it would the motor just take what its givin???
Go to Top of Page

EasyGo

24 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  14:39:47  Show Profile
A smaller controller *might* work...

The motor is going to attempt to draw enough current to deliver the torque load that is put upon it. When faced with this demand, the controller is going to do one of three things:

1.) deliver the demanded current
2.) safely limit the current to the controller's design limit
3.) burn up

If the controller is well-designed and able to limit the current to avoid self-destruction, only #1 or #2 will happen. If the current demand is higher than the limit that the controller can deliver, the torque of the motor will be proportionally limited. If that torque demand was just accelerating the vehicle, the vehicle will accelerate more slowly; if that torque demand was to go up a hill or overcome friction to make the vehicle move, it just won't move.

Since all the imported scooter stuff is pretty minimally designed, I wouldn't bet against #3, though.

-EG
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  06:55:10  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Very good explanation by Easygo, I'll add just this......

Limits on current are effected by 3 things:
- How much current the motors want to pull
- The batteries ability to supply that current
- The wiring and controller in between

With a Scooter motor and the large batteries, there is a potential for LOTS of current to flow. One of the 3 things Easygo listed will be your limit. But it would sure be nice to know which one the scooter ESC will do with an overcurrent situation BEFORE trying it. It would really suck to have #3 happen, so maybe spending $4 more or whatever it is on the next bigger unit is cheap insurance? Would also save you time of waiting for the replacement controller, installing it twice, etc?
Go to Top of Page

florida61
Apprentice Modder

98 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  14:24:25  Show Profile
the thing why i liked it was that it came with a switch and a 3 prong charging jack....... uhhhh...... o well........
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: