These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Beach Gear Hauler
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  04:49:29  Show Profile
Hello All,

My project is a PW powered beach cart (i.e., hand truck) based on the Wheeleez Beachcart.

Background: I frequent a beach at Gateway National Recreation Area (Sandy Hook, NJ) where the car drop off is over a third of a mile from the water's edge. I currently lug about 110 lbs of beach stuff (cooler, umbrellas, supplies) on a back pack. Every year the weight seems to increase as does my age (I was modding PWs to 24 volts in '88 for my then 3 year old). I finally decided I needed wheels - a prehistoric invention - huh.

Wheeleez Tire Performance: I bought a Wheeleez Beachcart and it didn't perform well at all. It seems the latest version of the cart comes with different tires than older models. The newer tires are the shiny silver, fake tread, PVC tires. These tires don't carry as much weight as the older model's Polyurethane tires. In addition the new tires are too "springy". As you walk over the irregularities of the sand, the PVC tires flex so much that the cart sways and tilts side to side threatening to throw the load over.

32.53 KB

First Solution: I replaced the carts PVC tires with four PW Jeep wheels (pictured with my backpack frame and surf rod resting against it). These are unpowered.

21.92 KB

The PW wheels put down a large footprint and do not sink into the sand. However, they "plow" all the irregularities of the sand they encounter. This plowing requires an excessive amount of effort to move the loaded cart along the beach - for me, its easier to carry the load on my back than to tow the loaded cart.

Second Solution: Add Power! I bought a mint condition Barbie Jeep and extracted the wheels, gearboxes, wiring harness, etc. and retrofitted them to the Wheeleez cart. The battery was dead due to sitting in the seller's garage uncharged for a couple of years. But I happen to have a 12 volt, 18 AH AGM SLA that is up to the task (www.powerstarsla.com - $33 shipped to my doorstep).

Here's some photos of the untested prototype. I am going to test it at the beach with a load this afternoon.

31.75 KB

32.48 KB

32.35 KB

I suspect I may have traction issues (wheel spin) and I am already looking for a solution. See the post: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6091

I used stainless steel hardware to attach the motors to the cart frame with nylon spacers as standoffs. I opened the grear boxes and drilled the requisite holes for pan head screws.

If I can successfully make the prototype work, I will add necessary improvements such as:

(1) Sand protection for the motors - thinking of using foam (like gas powered RC Car air filter material);
(2) Sand protection for the gear box - thinking of putting a Zerk grease fitting on the gear case and flooding the unit (like positive pressure painting masks);
(3) Adding a relay on the original switch control panel so that I can use a low power switch/wire at the handle top while keeping the current carrying wires extremely short between the battery, motors and control at the lower rear of the unit; and
(4) Electrical Improvements - better wire management and the requisite fuse/breaker at the battery.

I'll let you know how the beta test goes.

Regards,

Millstonemike

Regards,

Millstonemike

Edited by - millstonemike on 07/10/2008 04:58:31

Studricho
Apprentice Modder

Wollongong
NSW
Australia

84 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  05:15:39  Show Profile
They say need is the mother of all creation.

This is a great project. I'll be watching this one for sure.

Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  05:23:03  Show Profile
if your looking for traction you could put some old bmx tires on the wheels. i also would not flood the gb with grease, it would create too much resistance i think. i think a controller and a variable speed throttle at your finger tips would be a nice touch too.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  05:40:04  Show Profile
Gameboy,

With respect to variable speed, I think I can avoid the need. The cart will be guided by hand which offers an advanatge. First, I removed the PW electric brake. This reduces the load on the gears when stopping (and avoids throwing a somewhat top heavy load). Second, without the brake, I can give the cart a manual start prior to engaging power (again reducing gear loading). Lastly, its wide open space and a bee-line walk on the beach to the water so I think the single speed will suffice (no manuevering required). If the stock PW speeds are too slow in low and too fast in high, I may switch to 9.6 volt nicads.

Howver, can you educate me on the variable speed controller. I looked at scooter controllers but they are designed for 24 volts. They won't turnon unless the battery is supplying better than 20 volts (low battery lockout feature?). I plan on sticking with 12 volts.

The other option is RC speed controllers. Pay enough and you can get the necessary amps but the voltage ratings seem to top out at 9.6 volts on the car models. The plane models seem to have higher voltage but much lower amp ratings do to driving a prop instead of a geared transaxle.

Regards,

Millstonemike
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  06:08:46  Show Profile
well if you plan on sticking with 12v then the point is kinda mute, but if you were to go with a controller you would need

1 http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101101
1 http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101170
1 http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101130-or just some type of rocker switch to turn the controller on/off
2 batteries of the same amphour rating. get another of what ever you have already to make 24v.
wire and connectors to make the connections.

thats pretty much it. since you have a charger you would need to run in series and charge in parallel, but that shouldnt be a problem for you.

they are really easy.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  06:40:21  Show Profile
You may have convinced me. The scooter controller and thumb switch are cheap enough that is the cart works, I may use them. I'll just keep the motors in series as I'll never want anything greater than walking speed.

Regards,

Millstonemike
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  06:57:40  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
For more info on the scooter controllers, in the FAQ's is this thread:
FAQ - PWM What Is It, Do I Want It, Do I Need it?
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=708

In the last post I link to all of the builds I know of that use scooter controllers.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  06:59:42  Show Profile
series will be good, that will give you the best run time.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

DeadMeatUK
Apprentice Modder

United Kingdom

63 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  07:11:33  Show Profile
Series would make it easy to turn, as the motor with the least resistance will turn faster acting as a Diff.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a minute, light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  08:56:19  Show Profile
Series wiring may be a traction issue though, allowing one wheel to spin while the other sits and watches.
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  09:29:56  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Wheeleez are probably great for pulling heavy loads but since you are going to power them there is one thing that all Sand Tires have in common!

Paddles...

Hear is a search for Sand Tires on google if you want to see what I mean.
http://www.google.com/products?q=sand+tire

Thanks,
Bonner

NOTICE: I am not on MPW as much as I used to be!! PM me if you have questions about any of my threads!!!
I especially would love a PM from you if you did a project of your own similar to one of mine!!!

PWMOT Hijack Prevention Thread
Introduction and Collection
Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 07/10/2008 09:30:42
Go to Top of Page

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  10:00:22  Show Profile
Bonner,

You speak the truth - "Spare the paddle, spoil the ride :-). But what could you use to replicate true paddles aside from mounting individual ridges on the stock wheels - think "thump, thump, thump" whenever your not on sand. That's why I like that "conveyer belt" pictured above. It seems as thouht it would provide emough grip to manage the sand. Don't forget, I'm on only two wheels so the drive wheels do not have to overcome the plowing of the front wheels.

I've seen the "mudding videos" (link to you tube) and thought those wheels would be the best test of stock wheels in sand.

But alas, all I have is a set of purple Barbie Jeep Wheels (nearly mint) and a set of wrangler jeep wheels (center tread worn away). I will test using the Barbie wheels as they have the center ridges (ultra shallow paddles). If that doesn't work, I will try the rubber mat I mentioned.

Regards,

Millstonemike
Go to Top of Page

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  10:07:02  Show Profile
BTW: Is there a way to have the newest posts at the top of the thread? I tired of scrolling for each new post (sorry if this is in the FAQs).

Also, in my battery question, several "veterans" suggested chargers for either stock PW batteries or the SLA AGM type. I'm kind of a battery layman and I disagree with that advice. Charge voltages for GELs and AGMs are different. Also, nobody has mentioned a "top-off" voltage for the AGMs in addition to the charge voltage and float voltage offered by some of these middle of the road chargers. A truly smart charger starts with the charge volrage, kicks up to the top-off voltage and then down to the float voltage. I've been doing that sequence manually with a cheap charger and a volt meter. It seems to keep my SLA AGM working very well (but not tested at PW loads or as deep a cycle).

Perhaps I should do a battery write up over the next week or two, share it with yourself and several other vets for agreement then perhaps have it posted in the FAQs or possibly a sticky post.

Regards,

Millstonemike
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  11:26:22  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Look for this icon: next to the name of the person that last posted in the topic list.

Click on that blue arrow instead of the topic name and it will take you directly to the last post.

Thanks,
Bonner

NOTICE: I am not on MPW as much as I used to be!! PM me if you have questions about any of my threads!!!
I especially would love a PM from you if you did a project of your own similar to one of mine!!!

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 07/10/2008 11:28:40
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  11:50:22  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by millstonemike

Also, in my battery question, several "veterans" suggested chargers for either stock PW batteries or the SLA AGM type. I'm kind of a battery layman and I disagree with that advice. Charge voltages for GELs and AGMs are different.
Most of our information on batteries has come from www.batteryuniversity.com.

According to that source:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-6.htm
quote:
Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries (AGM)
.....The charging voltages are the same as for other lead-acid batteries......

The only thing I'm confused about on their site.... they say:
quote:
these batteries (SLA's and VRLA) can never be charged to their full potential.....
Yet though don't say if the AGM does or does not have this charging issue.

quote:
Originally posted by millstonemike

Perhaps I should do a battery write up over the next week or two, share it with yourself and several other vets for agreement then perhaps have it posted in the FAQs or possibly a sticky post.

Yes, if you find some other information, please do share it.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho

Edited by - swhenrik on 07/10/2008 11:50:51
Go to Top of Page

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  06:57:17  Show Profile
Last year, I did a lot of research on SLAs and I'm sure Battery University was part of it. I came away with two major points: AGM, GEL and Flooded have different charging requirements (due to their differnt physical characteristics) and the ideal charge procedure is 3-step: Charge Voltage, Top Off voltage and then float. I've seen smart chargers using this approach and they are typically $10 to $15 more than the 2-step smart chargers referenced in the forums.

In any event, while I have charge value tables, capacity values by open circuit voltage tables, etc., I would need to recreate my research to post with confidence. And that may take a bit as the Beach Hauler was less than ideal ... see the next post.

Regards,

Millstonemike
Go to Top of Page

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  07:34:34  Show Profile
The first test results of the Beach Hauler were not good. It worked but not up to useable performance.

The brightest note from the test was traction. Not a problem for the nearly mint Barbie Jeep wheels.

The problems ...

Axel Flex: I tried to use the original jeep axel but it was short by 2 inches. My only other quick option was a 7/16" threaded rod from Lowes/HD (I've seen the web site for 7/16" rod, thanks). The cart, nearly fully loaded, weighed in at 184 lbs as measured on a balance scale. This weight caused the threaded rod to flex - up to 1.5" in the center of its three foot length.

Lack of Power: On hard service, the PW drive performed adequatley - a moderately fast walk in high. It even climbed up the ramp to the broadwalk and down to the beach. However, in the sand, it bogged down to a slow crawl (Note I'm using nearly mint 18 AH SLA AGM, motors, gearboxes and wheels). The bogging could be due to the axel flex (causing lots of ineffiency as the wheels turned up on the outer edges), the amount of weight in conjuction with the resistance of the sand or a combination of the two. In any event, it would not be functional for my 1/3 mile trek to the water's edge.

Load Distribution: During the test, I realized that the distribution of weight on the cart is a problem(see very first picture of the cart loaded with cooler, pack, umbrellas, etc.) When I tip the cart to move it, I estimate that 40% of the weight is in my hand. That is, the ideal towing angle is not the balance point for the cart. This causes a lot of weight to be carried by me - nearly 70lbs on one arm - while towing the cart. I find myself constantly managing the handle between the ideal towing angle and the ideal balance point all while managing that 70 lbs in one hand.

Next Tests: For my next attempt, I will go to a 1/2" axel - threaded rod. I used the 1/2" threaded rod on the manual "Dually" pictured above. I bored the black Jeep wheels to 1/2" and actually stood on the cart (I weigh 188 lbs). This should eliminate the axel flex. I will than try to adjust the organization of the load so that it is lower on the cart. If successful, this will move the towing angle and balance point closer together decreasing the weight I caryy and stablizing the cart angle in motion.

If this works well, I'll then add the PW drives to the 1/2" axel. The wheels are already bored, the stock gearbox fits on the 1/2" axel, and the drive hubs look like they will take the 1/2" bore. I'm hoping the PW drive will perform better without the axel flex and truly drive the cart or at least provide some power assist.

If this fails its gotta be 4 wheel drive - twice the power at half the load per wheel.

Let you know after the weekend.

Regards,

Millstonemike

Edited by - millstonemike on 07/11/2008 07:37:11
Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  07:46:47  Show Profile
How about going with two axles and having a mountable pivot point where the rest of the rig hooks up between them? The more surface area on the sand the better. And it would make 4 wheel drive easier.

------------------------------------------------
Screamin Demon (600 watt scooter motor, 36v scooter controller)
Red Harley (trike, 24v scooter controller, 13t MFJ gearboxes/motors)
KFX Quad (24v scooter controller, MFJ 12t gearboxes/motors)
Fire Rescue Jeep (24v scooter controller, 15t #7 gearboxes/motors)
Franken(berry)beast (24v scooter controller, 2-250Watt Scooter motors)
Grave Digger (21T gearboxes)
Super Shock
Razor MX-350 Motorcycle

Projects
--------
Jeep Wrangler (on hold)
Barbie Cruzin Tunes Jeep (24v scooter controller)
TCV Indy Racer (24v scooter controller)
Gator (on hold)
Silverado Dragster (on hold)
Apache (on hold)
Metal big wheel (24v scooter controller)
Jeep Aftershock
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  07:48:09  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
When you say threaded rod, do you mean threaded the entire length? Do you know that solid rod is a LOT stronger then threaded? You might be fine even with the 7/16" if using solid rod. Though 1/2" solid rod wouldn't be bad.

What do the bushings ride on? If the threads, you are getting a lot of drag. In fact as the wheels turn they'll walk themselves one direction on the axle til they can't go anymore. And the threads will then chew the bushings right out. A solid rod will wear smooth after a small amount of driving, and looked polished in no time.

Go to Top of Page

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  07:50:47  Show Profile
BTW: Here's a picture of the gear setup on the beach - most of it going out on my back (as in backpack frame). The three flags in the background are "Photoshopped" into the picture as I was trying ideas I've since completed the real flags. We have the American flag (higher than the rest), the French flag in honor of the guest (I know, but they do have their finer points where it counts), and the NY and NJ state flags on the left and right respectively.

40.94 KB

Regards,

Millstonemike
Go to Top of Page

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  07:56:54  Show Profile
Your point on the threaded rods is well noted. I'm using them for testing as ordering rod from the WEB takes too long to attempt various configurations. Once a design is proven, I can then order the ideal parts.

As for 4 wheels, If I go to that, I get rid of the existing cart and start from scratch - something like "Reinventthewheels" ROver but on a aluminum frame that I can break down to get into the trunk.

Thanks guys for all your help and insight ...

Regards,

Millstonemike
Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  08:00:45  Show Profile
Or you can just mod this to have beach tires.

http://www.razor.com/products/electric-wagon.php

Super Shock
Razor MX-350 Motorcycle

Projects
--------
Jeep Wrangler (on hold)
Gator (on hold)
Apache (on hold)
Jeep Aftershock
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  08:11:57  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Personally the Rover type setup with these kind of tires would be the bomb... http://comfortstoredirect.com/storeproduct685.aspx

Use some 13t #7 gearboxes from the Hurricane...
http://kidswheels.com/Gearboxes-Power-Wheels-Other/12-Volt-Power-Wheels-Gearbox-13-Pitch.html

Dang - you guys take your beaching seriously don't you!!! Looks like a portable patio to me! Why don't you put some gearboxes and motors on a bar-b-que grill too while you are at it!!! Well for that matter why don't you just modify one of these with some sand paddle tires!

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 07/11/2008 08:44:46
Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  09:18:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BonnerBB

Dang - you guys take your beaching seriously don't you!!! Looks like a portable patio to me! Why don't you put some gearboxes and motors on a bar-b-que grill too while you are at it!!! Well for that matter why don't you just modify one of these with some sand paddle tires!

silly wabbit, don't you know.. gearboxes aren't just for power wheels anymore?

"Saving the landfills, one Power Wheels at a time."
XPWMNE Club President
'98 PW Jeep (not updated)
PW/Peg Jeep Wheelie (not updated)
Go to Top of Page

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  11:02:02  Show Profile
Like the roving BBQ ... alas this is a national park and has only two major rules: no glass and no fires. But it is a national treasure to us nearby (about 40 minutes). I've marked our standard location in red on the map below. From where we sit, we can see Coney Island (Ferris Wheel/Parachute jump), The Verrazzano Narrows Bridge (between Staten Island and Brooklyn), the empire state building in Manhattan and more. Up until a few years ago, we could count on the Concord passing directly overhead every weekday at 5:15 sharp. We are also missing the World Trade Center (in few years we'll have a new view).

It is a true penisula so we subject to some higher winds than the mainland (hence the windscreen surrounding us). The park itsekf is just beautiful, natural state with minimal man-made structures. Up til the middle 90's, there was nothing at our particular beach. Hence we had to lug everything we need for the entire day. Our last outing was over 12 hours on the sand!

94.32 KB

Regards,

Millstonemike
Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  11:54:09  Show Profile
Hah, I was in Rockaway Beach the last two days (on business). I probably could have spotted your beach from there.

And god how awful loud the Concords were.

Super Shock
Razor MX-350 Motorcycle

Projects
--------
Jeep Wrangler (on hold)
Gator (on hold)
Apache (on hold)
Jeep Aftershock
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  12:59:09  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Hey Millstonemike - ever used Live Maps? Why don't you put a red dot on these! If you zoom in - I think I can see one of your flags on your windscreen.

Check out this:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=40.469939~-73.99925&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=8056919&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

And even better this:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=qr9y2h8v08rv&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=8056950&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 07/11/2008 13:00:30
Go to Top of Page

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  06:44:41  Show Profile
The Beach Hauler project has ended. After several tests and experiements, It is clear to me now that PW wheels will not perform on sand for the load I carry (200 lbs).

Over this past weekend, I borrowed a Wheeleez wheelbarrow. The ease with which its large wheels can move weight over the sand is unbelievable - like digging a foundation with a backhoe instead of a shovel.

I have resigned mtself to buying one of these Wheeleez carts. Perhaps in 10 or 15 years, I'll need to power it.

Regards,

Millstonemike
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  08:01:31  Show Profile
this is what you need. Wheeleez® Monster Beach Cart,

7.66 KB

even expecting mothers can push them:

16 KB

and you can get your kids to help:

14.15 KB

oh, what fun. joy.

"free is always better"

Edited by - gameboy on 07/13/2008 08:04:18
Go to Top of Page

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  09:31:08  Show Profile
Do you think I should power this with 24 volts or turbofan ...

29.29 KB

Regards,

Millstonemike
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  11:24:36  Show Profile
turbo fan, definitly.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

hootienchyna
Advanced Modder

Ronkonkoma
New York 11779

2590 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  11:23:09  Show Profile  Visit hootienchyna's Homepage
ok, after reading this whole topic I seem to have found myself a new challenge.
fishing at the beach on long island can be a bit of a walk with all my gear especially after having a heart attack last year.now i have ideas to go on to make a cart.
thanks

visit www.mltoyz.com for used parts
Go to Top of Page

millstonemike

29 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  16:14:42  Show Profile
Hootienchyna,

I can't stress enough the most important thing I learned on this project - The Wheeleez wheels (wheeleez.com) are the only type of tires that roll over sand without resistance. After several configurations with powered and non-powered PW wheels, there is no comparison.

The Wheeleez beach cart (wheelbarrow style) is the one to get. The Beach Cart mini is a joke and the Beach Cart (Regular size) no longer performs well as they changed the tire design/material.

The Wheeleez "wheelbarrow" cart is a literal dream. While the price is a bit steep, I spent its cost trying out all my configurations. I will be buying one soon.

Friends that already own that style cart laude it capabilities -

"I leave it outside all year long and its going on 10 years now, not one problem."
"I hade it loaded down with 300 lbs at it got me off the beach in a rain storm, all the while getting heavier from the water."

This is my best advice, invest in the Wheeleez "Wheelbarrow" style beach cart.

quote:
Originally posted by hootienchyna

ok, after reading this whole topic I seem to have found myself a new challenge.
fishing at the beach on long island can be a bit of a walk with all my gear especially after having a heart attack last year.now i have ideas to go on to make a cart.
thanks

Regards,

Millstonemike

Edited by - millstonemike on 07/14/2008 18:42:50
Go to Top of Page

hootienchyna
Advanced Modder

Ronkonkoma
New York 11779

2590 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  09:15:49  Show Profile  Visit hootienchyna's Homepage
thanks for the info, i will look into them