These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 12V KidTrax Fire Engine to 18V Ambulance
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boobatuba
Journeyman Modder

Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

125 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  19:20:33  Show Profile  Send boobatuba a Yahoo! Message
This has been a fun one. Had a KidTrax Fire Engine that had been having problems with the harness:

So, seeing them go on sale, I bought the son a new one while I worked on fixing this one and modifying it a bit. Turned into a huge project...upvolting to 18V, adding an auxiliary 12V battery, 24 working lights (including rotating beacon light and 8 flashing marker lights), continuous siren, and of course an ambulance paint scheme and decals. Here's the result:

Before you ask...yes, the "ambulance" letters on the front are in mirror image...just like a real ambulance...check a real one out if you're a disbeliever (you can't imagine how many times I've been asked that question).
Here's the control panel with added rocker switches:

Floormats for their feet (cut from Ford logo mudflaps):

A fake diesel filler neck in the back (top of a Lucas fuel additive bottle):

And my favorite feature...remote charging posts on the sides for the 18V drive batteries and 12V auxiliary battery:

Here's the 7-year-old enjoying the new ride...he even got custom decals with his name on them:

This has been quite the ordeal. If you've seen my thread in the General Discussion area, you know that I've had to order a replacement gearbox since the 6-year-old drove it into a ditch Tuesday. For now, I disabled the drive batteries and he's content to just play with the lights and siren in the garage. Hopefully Dorel will send me a warranty box, but I think I will also pick one up from kidswheels.com...nice to have a backup when you upvolt these things.
So, here's a shot of the garage with all 5 vehicles...each one has it's own charger on the wall where it's parked...the kids are great about hooking them up themselves!

As always, thanks to everyone for the helpful hints and encouragement!

12V KidTrax Ambulance (custom)
12V KidTrax Fire Engine
18V Grave Digger (now with police package!)
18V Barbie Jammin' Jeep
12V Sun Jammer (Dora theme)
12V Dora VW Beetle (upvolted from 6V)

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  20:37:04  Show Profile
thats awsome, i know there are a lot of paramedics out there that dont feel apreciated enough. not that this will make a difference, but its still nice.

you did a good job on the conversion, looks great.
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  19:58:29  Show Profile
Wow...now that's a project!

Love all the switches & lights, and of course the ambulance/paramedic theme, since we only had 1, I love the firetruck theme, but since you have 2, then it's cool you got this one now.

Go to Top of Page

boobatuba
Journeyman Modder

Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

125 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  17:54:50  Show Profile  Send boobatuba a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the friendly comments, all.

I received the replacement gearbox from kidswheels.com today. Perfect part, the colors on the wires were even correct (how did they know which side I needed?)!!! Installed with some new heat shrink tubing in under 10 minutes, and the ambulance is running perfectly.

Thanks to the folks at kidswheels.com (I don't know if they read here or not)...excellent service, extremely prompt, with a couple of email confirmations. Great job! Hopefully, Dorel will respond to my fax sent on the 3rd...still haven't heard from them yet, but a couple of backup boxes would certainly be welcome.

12V KidTrax Fire Engine
18V Barbie Jammin' Jeep
Go to Top of Page

peyton-logan

1 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  10:27:55  Show Profile
ok....dumb question....we have the firetruck, it quit working about 5 months after my son got it. so we parked it behide the garage and firgured we would haul it off eventually. last night i discovered it is one of the recalled trucks. now i am interested in fixing it, not to mention my daughter is now old enough to drive it. it look awful, faded, stickers peeling, but i think it would be cheaper to fix this one instead of buying her something. any suggestions? what type of paint did you use? and do you know if the company ever came thru with the recalled parts? i hate to be out $350.00, especially now that i found this forum. we have a BROKEN barbie jeep, volkswagon bug, and cat skid steer. none of the work....i need some help! maybe i you can help me encourage my husband to take on this project!!! thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

boobatuba
Journeyman Modder

Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

125 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  19:44:59  Show Profile  Send boobatuba a Yahoo! Message
If the truck is just "clicking" when you press on the pedal, it's probably the plastic harness between the battery and circuit board. You'll want to get an aftermarket 12V 12AH SLA battery and fashion a harness to the circuit board with a 40A inline fuse on the positive lead. See this thread for more info on that:
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5737

I stripped all the stickers on mine, took it all apart, cleaned everything well, and used Krylon Fusion paint over the existing plastic...no priming needed, and it sticks very well.

Go to www.kidtraxtoys.com...there's a link to their customer service department who can answer your recall questions. The company is now owned by Dorel, and I've had extremely good service from them.

It's well worth fixing up...this is a fun truck and very durable. Let me know if you have any specific questions about disassembly or repair if/when you decide to fix yours up. Good luck, and have fun with it!

12V KidTrax Fire Engine
18V Barbie Jammin' Jeep
Go to Top of Page

boobatuba
Journeyman Modder

Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

125 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  17:48:25  Show Profile  Send boobatuba a Yahoo! Message
I'm having a big problem with run time since I've upvolted this vehicle to 18V. For now, I went back to 12V and put a second 12V battery in the back...I wired the two in parallel for double the run time. The son doesn't seem to care about the slower speed, anyway...he just wants to play in it all day, so two 12V batteries in parallel seems like a good solution.

I suspect it may be these batteries, or possibly the circuit board just can't handle 18V very well. Has anyone else tried upvolting one of these Dorel products (with the circuit board) and had similar problems?

12V KidTrax Fire Engine
18V Barbie Jammin' Jeep
Go to Top of Page

jedi.paramedic

Queen Creek
AZ
USA

19 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  21:58:20  Show Profile
Wicked cool Ambulance theme
Go to Top of Page

13002fast

12 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  14:43:50  Show Profile
My kids love what you did to the truck so i decided to get another truck and do some crazy mods. i am posting some vids of my sons old firetruck. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISthfOJaSvU

Edited by - 13002fast on 06/23/2010 03:35:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: