These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Introductions
 Just bought my son a PW
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GiRaff3

7 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  05:05:41  Show Profile  Visit GiRaff3's Homepage  Send GiRaff3 a Yahoo! Message
Hello everyone. My name is Bob and I am a US Soldier stationed in Germany. My son was born over here in May 2006. He loves cars and I have been passively looking for a Power Wheel for him. Well, a neighbor had an extra one that he sold me for $20.

It did not come with a charger, although I am borrowing one. It is a bit beat up and needs some TLC cosmetically. I am not familiar with all of the different models and such, but it is a Jeep Wrangler, orange in color, with ugly stickers all over it.

I charged the battery overnight and it does not work. I looked around and everything seems to be mechanically intact. I do work with electronics in the Army, so I am not a complete noob in that aspect.

I would like to get this thing up and running. I have plans to remove all stickers, sand it down, paint it black, and clean it up overall. My father and I have a graphics business on the side, so I am going to put some pretty cool decals on it also.

It is looking like I am going to need a new battery/charger at least, but since the entire thing only cost $20, I am still feeling like I got a good deal! I am not looking for a speedster or anything crazy, just something that looks cool that my son can cruise on.

Does anyone have any tips/advice for getting this thing on the road? I will post up some pictures once I take them.

By the way, www.sweetgfx.com is my website. Once I customize my son's I can offer up some stuff to you guys.

Thanks! L8R!

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  07:49:41  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Did you test the battery with a volt meter?

Not real sure of any vendors in Germany for batteries...

But this might help:

Click here for 12 volts on Ebay in Europe

This might help too:
http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/byGeo/byC/Germany/byP/batP/batC/batC.shtml

Thanks,
Bonner

NOTICE: I am not on MPW as much as I used to be!! PM me if you have questions about any of my threads!!!
I especially would love a PM from you if you did a project of your own similar to one of mine!!!

PWMOT Hijack Prevention Thread
Introduction and Collection
Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 06/25/2008 08:07:46
Go to Top of Page

GiRaff3

7 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  08:34:57  Show Profile  Visit GiRaff3's Homepage  Send GiRaff3 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by BonnerBB

Did you test the battery with a volt meter?

Not real sure of any vendors in Germany for batteries...

But this might help:

Click here for 12 volts on Ebay in Europe

This might help too:
http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/byGeo/byC/Germany/byP/batP/batC/batC.shtml

I am not going to buy anything from Europe, I will moving back to the states in August. I do want to get it up and running before everything is picked up in early August.

I am going to head to the local toy store to see what they have. I have not tested the battery, but I do not have experience with batteries this large, so what exactly am I looking for? to see if it is actually putting out the 12 volts?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

GiRaff3

7 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  08:40:26  Show Profile  Visit GiRaff3's Homepage  Send GiRaff3 a Yahoo! Message
Here are a few pictures for reference!

Here is the (ugly IMHO) Jeep Power Wheel:

Here is the battery charging on the counter:

Here is my son enjoying the one minute of ride time the battery provided:

Edited by - GiRaff3 on 06/25/2008 08:41:05
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  09:15:55  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
This thread will help: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3865&SearchTerms=volt,meter

Thanks,
Bonner

NOTICE: I am not on MPW as much as I used to be!! PM me if you have questions about any of my threads!!!
I especially would love a PM from you if you did a project of your own similar to one of mine!!!

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org
Go to Top of Page

GiRaff3

7 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  12:35:54  Show Profile  Visit GiRaff3's Homepage  Send GiRaff3 a Yahoo! Message
I just messaged Gruber, or whoever they are called, which was recommended through the forum. I told them I need a battery and charger and asked which combo they recommended.

I went outside to test it up, put the back end on a chair, and held down the peddle. Both wheels turn equally speed wise, but they are both slow, even when I took out the screw for the faster speed. I am pretty sure the battery is burned out and will not hold enough of a charge to power it properly.

I am going to grab some things from work, such as a digital multimeter and some crimping equipment. I will be ready for a new battery
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  12:55:50  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Check out that thread that Bonner linked to, it should be helpeful. That'll easily tell you if the battery you have is good or not.

What battery to use is somewhat up to you. Gruber does not make a battery that will drop in and plug right in to your vehicle. But this thread should help a little with the basics:
FAQ - What batteries to use, and where to buy them
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=699

For chargers, we have a few recommendations also, see this thread:
FAQ - Which charger should I use?
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=695

There's a boat load more info in the FAQ's that you should find helpful. Take a browse through it and see what you think. Then if you have any more questions, give us a shout.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

GiRaff3

7 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  23:15:50  Show Profile  Visit GiRaff3's Homepage  Send GiRaff3 a Yahoo! Message
after a little reading, I am actually considering buying 3 6v batteries and once of the nice chargers. It is seriously as simple as hooking the batteries up in series? Then you have 18v of power?

man...too ez!
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  07:43:40  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Yep, that's it. It's quite easy to make them faster. The problem is resisting the temptation to go further yet, endagering your motors and gearboxes and children and parked cars!

Oh, I forgot to mention, that's a Copper Jeep, look it up on Hobbymasters and you'll find a complete parts list for it. I actually thought they weren't too bad looking, some of the models get pretty busy with all the bright colored accessories (like our Limited Edition Jeep!).

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

GiRaff3

7 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  09:40:41  Show Profile  Visit GiRaff3's Homepage  Send GiRaff3 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik

Yep, that's it. It's quite easy to make them faster. The problem is resisting the temptation to go further yet, endagering your motors and gearboxes and children and parked cars!

Oh, I forgot to mention, that's a Copper Jeep, look it up on Hobbymasters and you'll find a complete parts list for it. I actually thought they weren't too bad looking, some of the models get pretty busy with all the bright colored accessories (like our Limited Edition Jeep!).

I am still trying to figure out which 3 6volt batteries i want to buy...there are so many choices. beyond that, i do not know which 12v i want to buy, if i go that route. it seems like the gruber one is the best choice.

i think the thing is FUGLY! maybe it is because the jeep is faded, the stickers are not shiny, and it needs some uplifting. removing the stickers, sanding down the body, painting it black, few coats of clear, and then reassembly should look great. i am also going to fix some saggy areas and cut off the stupid tray looking thing in the front.
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  11:40:08  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
This might help you make a decision on battery choices.

Market price on Ebay battery vendors. http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5917

Or even better yet:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6V-12AH-Sealed-Lead-Acid-battery-NEW_W0QQitemZ280229118301

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 06/26/2008 11:41:29
Go to Top of Page

Mama
Senior Modder

Kansas City
Missouri
USA

2380 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  15:42:26  Show Profile
[/quote] i am also going to fix some saggy areas and cut off the stupid tray looking thing in the front.
[/quote]

You might not want to "cut off the stupid tray looking thing in the front." It helps hold the grille up. What you need is the brush guard.

Here is the link to the parts diagram.......

http://www.hobbymasters.com/ProductImages/powerwheels/breakdowns/75840.pdf

Go to Top of Page

sennhenn
Expert Modder

NJ
USA

585 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  00:00:18  Show Profile
That tray thing is actually missing the bumper

this is they way it's supposed to look:

7.92 KB(i found this pic on the net, we have other variations of the PW jeep)

I actually liked the copper color myself, but if you've got ideas and the wherewithall go for it.

Be mindfull that when you go 3x six volts in series for driving, the connections then have to be reconnected for charging purposes to a parallel setup. I didn't think it'd be a big deal, but getting comfortable connectors for the wife to handle became a bigger project then making it work.

Daddy's Collection is getting out of control. (and this picture is way dated: it includes 4 we don't have anymore, and doesn't show 5 newer ones!)
Go to Top of Page

GiRaff3

7 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  04:41:35  Show Profile  Visit GiRaff3's Homepage  Send GiRaff3 a Yahoo! Message
I just shipped the PW off on Tuesday this week, so I will not see it for probably another couple of months. I will be SOMEWHERE in PA, so once I get settled, I will start by purchasing one good 12v battery, getting him used to it, and going from there.

Looks like some other members are from near PA
Go to Top of Page

sennhenn
Expert Modder

NJ
USA

585 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  16:58:44  Show Profile
I'm just across the Walt Whitman bridge from Philly. There is the beginnings of a group for PA here. Drop by, say hello, subscrive to the thread... then we'll try a get-together someday.

Now you just keep doing what you've got to to follow ole' copper back to the states

sennhenn

Daddy's Collection is getting out of control. (and this picture is way dated: it includes 4 we don't have anymore, and doesn't show 5 newer ones!)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: