These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Lil' Wrangler Jeep Wheelie
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  00:05:29  Show Profile
I decided to make this Lil' jeep into a 12v wheelie vehicle.

I shaved the fenders to accomodate the added KFX monster traction tires for the rear. I didn't want to use my spare #7 gearboxes, so I ended up using the Peg Perego GB and motors.

Before even that works, I made some modifications to the tires. I manufactured some brass bushings for the standard 7/16" shaft.

66.92 KB

82.68 KB

After its completed and ready to roll.

74.2 KB

I mounted the two 6v batteries in the rear. The PIA part was to come up with something that will hold the batteries in any 360 degree position as this jeep has very limited areas to put them besides the front. Using some spare misc brackets, aluminum angle iron and nuts and bolts, I managed to fit it from underneath inside the seat area.

61.03 KB

Another view looking at everything from underneath.

73.01 KB

After it was all done, my daughter tested it out, and that sucker goes straight vertical. I want it to be somewhat extreme, and I guess I got my wish, but now lies another problem/project, adding wheelie bars designed so it will keep it at a steady angle.

At first I got lazy and added a spare tire in the rear, and that jeep just drags that tire, the bolt that held it in place was all bent, no suprise there! Thats when I decided, it was time to build one, and I decided to put a suspension type wheelie bar to absorb some of the impact when it pops that front end up.

97.74 KB

The wheel is from a kick scooter, the brackets that holds it were cut from spare frames to a PW jeep, some AL. angle iron and bought the springs from home depot.

96.72 KB

99.97 KB

When the wheelie bar pushes up as the jeep leans back, I needed a way to support the rear frame from breaking, those springs are rated at roughly 65lbs. each which will pull the bottom plastic up, not a good thing. Picture below shows a banding strap I used, fits behind the angle plate and attaches to each side of the frame sorta speak. No flexing whatsoever now.

68.04 KB

I took some videos during the testing stages, the final verdict is that this jeep works awesome! A definite head turner when they see it riding on two wheels down the grass. Because this thing was originally a 6volt, I had to change out the pedal switch, and create a whole new harness to also support the 2nd motor, very straight forward.

Next, and probably not very soon is to add another gas pedal, and have each one control each motor to be used as steering. I haven't gave it much thought yet to the wiring schematics, but I believe it would work pretty well. I may tear down that jeep and repaint it and trim it up. I'm still trying to knock out and finish a couple projects goin on, finally I can take this one off the list for now.

"Saving the landfills, one Power Wheels at a time."
XPWMNE Club President
'98 PW Jeep (not updated)
PW/Peg Jeep Wheelie (not updated)

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  00:16:32  Show Profile
Another thing I forgot to mention is that if you notice the rear wheels, there is no hubcaps. Unfortunately they didn't come with any which was expected. If those bushings were plastic instead of brass, they would probably be ruined by now or soon. I can't find any hubcaps, even through our sponsors. I have a longer shaft on standby once I have the time to cut out some aluminum flanges with tabs to fit over it, because as I see it, the wheels aren't very rigid where most of the torque plays around that short portion of the wheel instead of the whole wheel, or am I being over dramatic and I shouldn't worry about it?

XPWMNE Club President
Go to Top of Page

bdiamond
Apprentice Modder

Wichita Falls
Texas
USA

75 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  06:31:39  Show Profile
I'm kinda doing the same thing right now. I was going to attach the bottom bars to the axle and a top link to the top of the tailgate where yours hinges. I was just thinking of a rigid upper link , but it would be easy enough to make it a sprung link.
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  07:37:45  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Very cool - great craftsmanship! Sure would like to see that video you mentioned!

Thanks,
Bonner

NOTICE: I am not on MPW as much as I used to be!! PM me if you have questions about any of my threads!!!
I especially would love a PM from you if you did a project of your own similar to one of mine!!!

PWMOT Hijack Prevention Thread
Introduction and Collection
Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  09:28:53  Show Profile
First off, that is way cool.

Those tires look so cool on there.

I agree with you that you need two wheels to stabilize it when wheelies are pulled. Also two foot pedals controlling the wheels independently would be really cool. Though that could make for some spills.

Excellent.
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  13:13:12  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
I think that if you pulled the sticker off the front wheel - it would look Murdered Out and be really mean looking... Just a thought...

Thanks,
Bonner

NOTICE: I am not on MPW as much as I used to be!! PM me if you have questions about any of my threads!!!
I especially would love a PM from you if you did a project of your own similar to one of mine!!!

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  14:35:13  Show Profile
I've never worked on one of the ATV's that has those tires. What is the first picture? Is that the wheel driver in the tire in the next two pictures?

Excellent.
Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  06:50:32  Show Profile
Thanks for the compliments. Bonner, all the stickers will be removed and painted black, perhaps two toned, I'm not sure and I will figured that out when that time comes.

BA, thats the wheel driver that use to be bolted on the PEG wheels, I had to do some chopping and drilling to use on the other tires. I didn't take no pictures during the building phase unfortunately, other than the tires.

Here's a quick compiliation video of my daughter riding the wheelies.

XPWMNE Club President
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  07:05:36  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Man - that is a cool video! Awesome project... I have that same Jeep - just might have to do something like it!

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  08:09:59  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
How does that jeep do on concrete? Would it make a good power slide monster?

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: