These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Old Skool Hot Wheels Lamborghini (1995)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  11:51:20  Show Profile
Coming from the general forums....
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4997

Thanks for the advice about batteries, switches, connectors!

Here are some preliminary photos to show what's going on with our $60 find:

Here's the new car:

45.04 KB

I'm going to cut this old, dangerous connector off & send it in to Mattel (they e-mailed me a return sticker). Because I live in Canada, they're sending me $35! But if you live in the States they only pay $25 ????? Doesn't make sense.

38.15 KB

Broken windshield, I figure I can reinforce the upper edge with some flat aluminum & maybe a stiffener off the dashboard, and just paint it black.

57.39 KB

That awesome looking motor had broken off (only held on with 4 posts), I glued it back on with silicone. Hopefully that's flexible enough, if that doesn't work my next idea is some double-sided foam tape.

71.68 KB

Yup, we had to break out the tool box.

66.44 KB

Couple taps with the hammer...

71.62 KB

Stickers & overall body are in terrific shape for a 1995 car. It came with the ORIGINAL battery (completely worn out) so I think this thing must have hung out in the shed for a long time and not really had a lot of miles. The guy running the phone at Mattel told me that the original red/white hubcaps are hard to find. All the switches & electrics seem to work okay, touch wood. Steering & axles seem sturdy enough. Hot dog!

42.06 KB

Little bit of cutting...

52.5 KB

A little tweak with some pliers...

64.85 KB

Thanks for having a look! I'll keep everyone posted with our progress getting this back on the road.

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  17:03:10  Show Profile
Here's the old harness, wow I did not realize how easy it is to strip these out! Took me all of about 3 minutes.
At the bottom are the two motor connections and the white H connector for the battery; at the middle is the big forward/reverse connector (switch & spare hole plug to the side); and at the top is the gas pedal connector and the pedal.

85.13 KB

Here is the console with the hole that actually fits two switches, I presume the original intention was for both low/high and forward/reverse switches.

58.75 KB

There's the cavity for the gas pedal, it just snaps in!

56.88 KB

Here is the gas pedal & the connector. The pedal looks just fine to me, it actually seems to have negligible wear to speak of. The connector is just fine too, the soldered connections were wrapped with black electricians tape which is still sticky believe it or not.

43.23 KB

The forward/reverse switch seems fine too. I checked out Gruber Power Service on eBay but it seems all they have any more is a 12v trickle charger for modifiedpowerwheels. I checked out www.hobbymasters.com for their switches (00801-0885) for $9, and to buy two (one new, one to replace the existing one so they match) would cost $18 + $18 postage - $1.80 "modifiedpowerwheels" discount, grand total $34.20. I found a much better price from www.bettervac.com, which will sell two switches for $9.99 apiece and only $5.90 postage to Canada, grand total $25.88. So at least for Canadians, bettervac has a better price for that particular switch.

54.3 KB

But you know what, even if I buy a second switch I still need a second matching plug! Here is the original one for forward/reverse. Where to get something like this? Unfortunately it seems that part is not "exploded off" the exploded diagram from Fisher Price, it is just part of the wiring harness which is N/A. Beneath it is the block-off cap where the second switch could go.

60.31 KB

Well I clipped off the "H" connector & mailed it off today.

84.34 KB

70.21 KB

Here is the letter they had e-mailed me:

Thank you for contacting Mattel regarding your Pw Hot Wheels Lamborghini. We apologize for any disappointment or concern this may have caused and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

The subject of children's safety is extremely important to us, and we have built our reputation on providing high quality, safe products. Please be assured that we have forwarded your comments to the appropriate individuals for their review. To complete an evaluation, it is important that we have the opportunity to examine your Partial Harness.

We have included a traceable, pre-paid Canada Post mailing label for the return of your item. To ensure that your package is received by us quickly, please take your package to your local post office. Packages dropped at a mailbox or collection box are not scanned prior to delivery and may delay the return of your package.

Our mailing label has been sent in PDF format, which can be viewed using Adobe Acrobat. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat, you can download it for free at the Adobe website, http://www.adobe.com/.

Please return the Partial Harness to us within 30 days. Upon receipt of your returned package, a refund in the amount of $35.00 will be sent within 4 to 6 weeks. If your product is still within the service policy and if the purchase price is more than this amount, it is necessary to include your original sales receipt showing the retail store name, the product name, the purchase price and date.

We appreciate this opportunity to assist you.

Please ask the Canada Post Representative to date stamp the area identified at the bottom right hand of this letter and retain this letter as proof of drop off.

Sincerely,

Mattel, Inc.
Consumer Relations

Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  19:55:05  Show Profile
Wow...SWEET. You got it for $60, and got $35 back...LOL...not bad for $25! I love the fake engine on those. I forgot they had those, I saw one on Craigslist here recently and passed on it, they wanted like $100 for it though. Didnt know about a refund for the connector though...geez.

Go to Top of Page

radarnick
Journeyman Modder

Front Royal
VA
USA

442 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  21:04:29  Show Profile  Send radarnick a Yahoo! Message
IF you can get a harness from 12V a uni-body jeep I think it can be used as a dirrect replacement & gaining high and low speed switch. Also doing a 6.5 mile per hour reverse to drive slam blowing out a gear box is not fun we have the barbie version and neighbor kid did that to ours.

1 MORE PW's AND WIFE WILL KILL ME

1 metal frame jeep 4x4
1 Grave Digger 24V MOD
AND A TON OF PARTS
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  01:06:20  Show Profile
Yeah, well spread the word, if you have old connectors just notify Fisher Price / Mattel and they will reimburse you for them.
Well... actually they might insist on taking it in to the service center to perform the recall. BUT.. if you can talk them into getting the refund that is worth either $25 or $35 each! For some reason, apparently, you only get $25 if you're an American. Why that is doesn't make sense, but anyway.

Say, where do you get a super 6 transmission, I guess you can still get the motor too? I don't know how much use this thing had or how soon it is going to shear off so that would be worthwhile to know. Wow, that's a bummer about the driveline slam though.. I wonder if there's a simple way of putting in a change-direction delay?? Or, not permitting the control circuit to send power to the motor if it is still turning the wrong way?
Go to Top of Page

radarnick
Journeyman Modder

Front Royal
VA
USA

442 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  07:20:04  Show Profile  Send radarnick a Yahoo! Message
well the replaced gearboxes came from a free donor PW 6v quad that was junk the people bought it and it never moved well in the yard so it sat body got snaped in half

that is why if you use a jeep harness you get low speed reverse and the slam would't hurt it as bad but before you take it out WD-40 all the switches,pedal and the motor ends when these thing sit a long time stuff gets stiff and corroded

1 metal frame jeep 4x4
1 Grave Digger 24V MOD
AND A TON OF PARTS

Edited by - radarnick on 04/20/2008 07:26:58
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  10:17:02  Show Profile
Did you have him put on that Hot Wheels shirt, or did he have that on? funny either way :) I looked again, and there's one of these in my local PENNYSAVER , the advertisement/for sale/wanted magazine that comes weekly to our house. They said it's BRAND NEW, want $150. I doubt it's Never been used if it's that old.

Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  19:41:14  Show Profile
Heh yeah, actually my little boy wasn't supposed to be wearing that shirt because it was dirty!! So it's even funnier :)

A brand new lamborghini?? Well, there's a chance it could be in good shape, however that's how they described this one and here the windshield is completely smashed! The price of $150 definitely seems high for a super 6V drive, that's what they use for the little kiddy power wheels today. For instance, on www.amazon.com they have a power wheels F150 single seater with super 6V for $169.99 marked down to $143, and that really is brand new!

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price%C2%AE-Power-Wheels-Ford-F150/dp/B0002CK9SE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1208743185&sr=8-2

Anyway I went to Princess Auto today, I read they had a good deal on 6V chargers ($29.99 for Schumacher automatic battery companion), and they had it but more importantly they had all the connectors I needed!

64.77 KB

So I got 15 sets of connectors, $2.49 for each pack of 15 male bullets, 15 female receptacles, 15 male blades, and 15 insulated connectors. I'm going to use the bullets for hooking up the batteries and the insulated connectors for hooking up the high/low speed switch. Here's the funny thing about the blue connectors, they say they're only for 14-16 ga wires but I think they crimp onto 12 ga wires too (because I think my harness is all 12 ga). However, I don't think they say "12 ga connector" on them because I bet it doesn't match the amperage capacity "ampacity" of the wire.

Anyway, next thing is to get the batteries & second hi/lo switch and hook up the circuit. For the splices I'm just going to use solder & heat shrink. But while I wait for mail order stuff, I'm going to address the windshield!
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  12:40:52  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I think the easiest way to get a plug for the new high/low switch is to just get a harness from a different vehicle. Post in the for sale/wanted section on here. What vehicle is comes from will have some effect on what it's like. But it also depends on if you plan to run dual 6 volt batt's or a single 12 volt. If running dual 6's, get one of the older harnesses that electrically eliminates high speed reverse. if running a single 12, maybe you'll want to get an all-in-one shifter instead?

If you are planning on buying 2 switches, there's a little trick Gameboy figured out. Order the all-in-one shifter from Hobbymasters for $11, and it comes with two of the $9.00 switches!

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho

Edited by - swhenrik on 04/22/2008 12:41:22
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  12:47:05  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Could you put a link to the All-in-one shifter at Hobbymasters that you are talking about for $11.00

Thanks,
Bonner

NOTICE: I am not on MPW as much as I used to be!! PM me if you have questions about any of my threads!!!
I especially would love a PM from you if you did a project of your own similar to one of mine!!!

PWMOT Hijack Prevention Thread
Introduction and Collection
Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  12:53:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BonnerBB

Could you put a link to the All-in-one shifter at Hobbymasters that you are talking about for $11.00

all in one shifter

is this what you meen? or do you want it somewhere else?

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  13:02:26  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
I guess I need to now know what the 2-$9 switches that come with it look like! Sorry to be a pain!

Thanks,
Bonner

NOTICE: I am not on MPW as much as I used to be!! PM me if you have questions about any of my threads!!!
I especially would love a PM from you if you did a project of your own similar to one of mine!!!

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  13:39:45  Show Profile

Insert Image:

like a standard power wheels switch.

no need to be sorry, your too late.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  13:41:46  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Can you show me a picture of the top of the switch?

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 04/22/2008 13:42:21
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  13:47:50  Show Profile
quote:

Can you show me a picture of the top of the switch?

o-goog-God. stop it.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  13:50:57  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
goog-god?

Picture please....

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 04/22/2008 13:52:16
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  14:09:47  Show Profile
quote:

goog-god?

Picture please....

its a switch, have you not looked through the switch cleaning thread???? first pic. the one that says P.W. with an arrow pointing to it. some have white tops, some have black, the ones underneith are pegs, they look the same too. they have red and grey tops. they are flat, while the power wheels ones have a slight curve to it.

anything else????????????????????????????
your killin me.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  14:17:22  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Sir,
You don't have to get so hostile with me! I asked Captain Obvious and he told me that if I click on the SEARCH button in the top of my screen I should be able to find everything I need on the forums...

So I clicked on the Search page as he suggested and did a search for switch cleaning thread and all I got was this! http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=switch+cleaning+thread

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 04/22/2008 14:18:12
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  14:39:14  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Alright... no hi-jacking "project" threads Mr. Instigator/Trouble maker

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  14:42:50  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Oops - sorry - I didn't realize it was someone's project thread.

I really did want to see the picture of the top of the switch.. I was going to ask what that switch is even used for but I don't want to get yelled at.

You can delete all of Gameboy's taunts and hostility as well as my kind pleas for pictures...

Thanks Swhenrik for keeping us in line!

Way to go Gameboy!!!

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 04/22/2008 14:52:58
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  15:37:33  Show Profile
quote:
Way to go Gameboy!!!

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  21:45:29  Show Profile
Oooohhh kay then!
Actually, darn it I went & spent a bunch of money on more switches But Whatevah, I'm getting $35 back from Fisher Price so I got a little mad money eh!

I finally figured out how to get the windshield off! Grr it just snapped on. I searched high & low for my special screwdriver to take the dashboard off, it turns out all I had to do was unsnap the windshield, DOH!

30.1 KB

Anyway this thing has taken a beating from kids leaning against it getting in & out, and probably stomping on it too. Lots of pressure cracks.

30.41 KB

So I'm thinking of remediating it with some aluminum, I figure I can get a chunk cut & braked to fit beneath it & support it, and maybe rivet it on & paint it black. But then again... now that car looks kinda cool without the windshield!

49.85 KB

62.55 KB

Anyway, good news is I -FINALLY- got the batteries today, I heard there was a way of reading the date code off them but I can't tell, they look a bit dusty so that's a bit worrying (I sure hope I didn't get some duds). But we are getting excited!! One more night until we do a little bit of 6V cruising!
Go to Top of Page

radarnick
Journeyman Modder

Front Royal
VA
USA

442 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  20:28:53  Show Profile  Send radarnick a Yahoo! Message
have you tried to use epoxy on the inside of the glass and paint it black.

1 metal frame jeep 4x4
1 Grave Digger 24V MOD
AND A TON OF PARTS
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  12:02:38  Show Profile
Yeah the previous owner had tried epoxy. He epoxied the motor on & epoxied the windshield back together, and the top of the mock air inlet back on the motor -- and all that glue wound up breaking again. So I knew the problem was that the glue was too brittle. I used silicone to glue the motor back together & to glue it back on to the back, it is a way more flexible solution & extremely tenacious too. In fact -- I think I might use silicone to hold the aluminum onto the windshield rather than rivets, now that I think about it.

Actually, it took me just a few minutes with my fingernail to scrape off all the residual epoxy! So epoxy is definitely the wrong stuff for this particular little car.

(Hey I gotta tell you -- I got one of the new batteries charged up & we took 'er out on the road yesterday afternoon -- did we ever have a hoot! Man, that car rattles & vibrates, but the grins were ear-to-ear all around :)
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  12:56:46  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I don't use epoxy for anything because it ALWAYS peels right off. I also use silicone for things that really need to flex, JB Weld for stiff/metal stuff, CA (super) glue here and there, etc. And then I attempt plastic welding now and then for cracks, with marginal success.

Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  23:46:05  Show Profile
Update on the Lamborghini!

Read 'em and weep!

99.14 KB

Well I finished installing all the "traction bands". The first one on the jeep took me 1/2 hr to do with a helper. The last one I did on the Lambo took me 5 minutes by myself.

49.93 KB

Here's what it looks like from the side:

37.04 KB

Here you can see how I stretched it over the inside surface:

65.74 KB

I've got it detailed on the jeep thread but here it is again: tube is size "4.10/3.50-4".

The tube is closely matched to the 10" diameter of the wheels.

Use some scissors to cut the valve off first (I've got a pocketful of valve caps now):

I cut all along the inside surface & turned the tubes inside-out:

What I did then, was I cut off about 1" strips off the edges. That was to cut off the notch from where the valve was, but also to cut the tube back to a point where I had a chance of stretching it onto the wheel!

I don't want to scare anybody off from trying this out, but it takes a fair bit of muscle to wrassle these on. Here's my technique: once the tube is cut, turned inside-out, and the edges trimmed, I grab one edge and stretch it out as far as I can & just work it all around the edge and see how loose I can make it.

Then, with the car on its side I stretch out the tube & hook the far edge over the edge of the wheel by about 1 inch, and stretch it as far around the wheel as I can manage with both hands, then I grab the near edge with my teeth for cripe's sake! & stretch it over. Then I take a breather for about a minute. More like a "panter". Pant, pant.

Then, I just work my way around & pull them over the wheel like I'm pulling socks. Extremely tight, rubber socks. I still haven't tried them out on the road yet! They may start to work their way off the wheels but I'd be amazed if they do -- they are that friggin tight!!

Hey thanks for looking!

Edited by - Grunchy on 05/24/2008 08:21:31
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  01:06:36  Show Profile
Here is that tube by the way:

http://downloads.princessauto.com/site_downloads_princessauto_com/dlfile.cfm?dlf=11_TruckTrailer

You can download chapter 11 of the catalog and go to page 345, it is called "small tire tube" size 4.10/3.50 x 4 and is item #2024263 for $4.49 apiece. Princess Auto delivers only within Canada but this should be enough info to find the same or similar tube somewhere else.

19.55 KB
Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  07:46:56  Show Profile
Here's that same size tube on ebay at: This silly link!

It's $4.88 and $5.18 to ship it, but if you order lets say, qty. of 4, the shipping only goes up a few cents to $5.58, but really, who's only going to order one for a pw?!

Grunchy - What size diameter are the tires you put these on already? I would imagine there is a great deal amount of sizes these will fit due to the stretchability.

"Saving the landfills, one Power Wheels at a time."
XPWMNE Club President
'98 PW Jeep (not updated)
PW/Peg Jeep Wheelie (not updated)
Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  07:51:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Grunchy

I don't want to scare anybody off from trying this out, but it takes a fair bit of muscle to wrassle these on. Here's my technique: once the tube is cut, turned inside-out, and the edges trimmed, I grab one edge and stretch it out as far as I can & just work it all around the edge and see how loose I can make it.

Another way to help and this applies to tires as well, is to spray some soap detergent (diluted in water) on the wheel you putting it on and the inside of the tube/tire. It will dry pretty quickly, probably before you actually finish but it helps. Just thought I added that in there. Curious how well those will work, keep us posted on that test run!

XPWMNE Club President
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  10:22:07  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Those tubes are available anywhere that sells tires or tubes, maybe even at Walmart. That's a VERY common size tire, used on small wagons, hand dolleys, the Dirt Grinder, etc. Also it's the common "Harbor Freight" tire that everyone on here uses on smaller PW's. They always have tubes in them as they aren't a "tubeless" tire, because of the split rim they use. It's probably cheaper to buy the tubes locally then having it shipped to you.

Here's the tube on Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38354

Edited by - swhenrik on 05/14/2008 10:26:49
Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  11:02:49  Show Profile
Please swhenrik, never mention Walmart unless there's a killer deal like those nascars? I tell you, the phrase of Walmart "being cheap", is far from the truth in prices, and very much the truth in quality. A bmx tire that goes for $13 + tax, I get the same one on amazon for $3-4. Sure i have to pay shipping, and it still outweighs the cost from walmart. Its a good start, and convenient for alot of people, the one thing i buy there consistency is fusion paint, its cheap! ;)

XPWMNE Club President
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  12:13:56  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Being able to get things that can be used on a PW, at Walmart, does add a bit of convenience to some. You can't really expect the average person to drive all the way to a tire shop or auto parts store to get stuff, it might an entire MILE out of the way

$4.88 and $5.18 shipping is more then I paid for one at L&M Supply, and I didn't have to "wait" to get it.

Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  13:44:20  Show Profile
Please, stop the hi-jacking of this thread, it has come to my attention that the "tube" can be purchased at many places, end of discussion and have a nice day!

XPWMNE Club President
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  14:09:56  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wickedways

Please, stop the hi-jacking of this thread, it has come to my attention that the "tube" can be purchased at many places, end of discussion and have a nice day!

Huh?

Edited by - swhenrik on 05/14/2008 14:10:06
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  15:06:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik

quote:

Huh?

i think he got mad.

bad swhenrik, bad swhenrik...

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  21:03:21  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Guys - I think wicked still has ill feelings about Walmart ever since he lost his job there as a Walmart Greeter for wearing only a sack to work...

Wicked - what were you thinking?

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 05/14/2008 21:03:53
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  21:11:04  Show Profile
thats funny, where do you come up with this crap.

never mind...

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  08:47:42  Show Profile
Update on the traction bands: video & pictures to come. I'd call the experiment half triumph, half work-in-progress.

First the good news: the cars zip around much more quietly than before. The predominant noise now is the whirring of the motors and the gears, in fact they sound quite tech! Traction is phenomenal! Whereas before the Lamborghini at 12V would skid out easily, and I was afraid would be utterly uncontrollable at 18V, now it sticks like glue. The disadvantage of course is greater startup shock to the gears, also the fact that you can no longer skid-out. The startup shock would be much worse if the kids went forward and backward repeatedly but I have them coached out of that. No problem with traction on the lawn (dry grass). Wet grass could be a different story but we haven't tried that out yet.

Now the bad news: well I noticed one wheel cover on each car slipped significantly, the rest seemed to work okay. The situation was worse on the Lamborghini because its wheels are completely flat, there was much less cover slippage on the Jeep with its rounded wheels. Also, the covers got pretty well perforated: they are thin rubber and the little rocks cut right through. It would be different if there were a more compliant material underneath the rubber than the hard plastic wheels. Several layers of rubber would be okay but at $4.49 a layer that gets expensive right quick, also I doubt I could stretch another tube over one already there.

Right now I have two ideas, one is to glue on a thin layer of carpet underlay underneath the rubber, second idea is to just glue on the rubber covers and let 'em get tore up. I figure 1/4" of underlay might provide enough compliance so that the rubber can stretch over sharp little rocks. Alternatively, if I just glue the rubber covers on & use lots of glue, sure it'll get all cut up but it should still be stuck on.

I'm going to post the youtube videos this afternoon with a couple more pics showing the slippage & perforations!
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  08:50:27  Show Profile
cant wait to see it.
Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  10:51:48  Show Profile
Why aren't you using the bmx tires? They do have smooth ones, and if your tire is wide enough you may be able to put two per tire if you so incline.

XPWMNE Club President
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  11:02:43  Show Profile
Yeah, the BMX tire solution -- I had read about that & did not think it looked all that great, frankly. Plus I didn't want to put screw holes into the wheels. Shrug! Actually, I had another idea altogether, which is to go get 'em Rhino coated (you know that coating they spray into truck beds to toughen 'em up?).

Actually, isn't there some kind of rubber paint you can buy? I think that might be the best solution of all, it toughens up the wheels, improves traction a little bit but still lets 'em skid out, makes it ride quieter, and best of all easy to apply. Hmmm........

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_refurbish_other/article/0,,HGTV_3488_1372799,00.html

Use "rubber paint" on the handles of tools and craft items to create a good grip and also to identify your tools. This paint creates a thick coat, which adds a lot of cushioniong and grip, much like tools that are rubber-coated at the factory.
Rubber paint can be found in paint stores and home centers. Objects can either be dipped in the paint or it can be brushed on. A spray paint product is also available.

Actually, rubberized paint might peel off.... You know it's one of those things that you just know Fisher Price put a lot of effort in going back-and-forth on, and concluded that the as-molded wheels are the best solution.... (for stock voltage!!)
Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  12:30:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gameboy

quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik

quote:

Huh?

i think he got mad.

bad swhenrik, bad swhenrik...

haha! nahh.. i can easily go back and forth with swhenrik on that discussion but no need to hi-jack Grunchy's blog, besides, it was swhenrik that told you and your side kick Bonner to stop hi-jacking, I was just reiterating that comment to the source.
quote:
Originally posted by gameboy

thats funny, where do you come up with this crap

Gameboy - pls stop being so easily amused by Bonner, we understand he's the pres and you're only the vice-pres, kissing his !$#$@! isn't going to work you see, because its a club, a non-profit organization and you can't really move up any higher in the chain of command. Sorry i had to break it to you.

XPWMNE Club President
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  16:03:10  Show Profile
Okay here's that video. The thing to watch for is the absolute lack of any wheel slip whatsoever, also you don't hear any "pavement crunch ", only motor whine:

As well here are a couple photos. Front wheel cover had slipped badly:

57.95 KB

Other wheel covers didn't slip much at all:

61.19 KB

Perforations from little rocks on the road (it only took me a minute to re-adjust this front wheel cover):

31.08 KB

I figure I might have to put some resilient material beneath these covers, then they should be great! Gluing them on, yep it looks like that will be necessary.

Edited by - Grunchy on 07/17/2008 19:10:14
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  16:12:36  Show Profile
thats cool, i just thought of something. since you have the rubber tread on there and it slips off you could put some skid resistant tread on the tire( they sell it at boat shops with a sticky back, peel and stick) and then put the rubber on. that way you have a sticky part on the tire with a skid resitant surface( realy its black sand paper but with better coating to keep the grit on) and that will hold the innertubes in place.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  00:21:10  Show Profile
You'd think that sandpaper surface would hold the covers in place, but I don't think so. The reason is, those hard plastic wheels are fairly well abraded already. Try rubbing your knuckles over them a few times and they'll wind up looking like mine: pretty raw! Pretty much like sandpaper. So I had thought, with the rough surface plus the tight rubber how can they slip? And yet they did.

Actually, I just thought of a forehead-smacker idea: my can of adhesive 77! I'll pry up half the inner tube (not such an easy task, but possible) and squirt it all wet with glue, then continue all around, and then do the same for the other half. Actually... I could glue on some compliant material underneath first, like felt or something. Hmm! I think I've got a new project here!

Edited by - Grunchy on 05/18/2008 22:10:39
Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  21:42:37  Show Profile
If you add some type of cushion beneath the rubber, it will definitely decrease the wear of tearing into the tube, BUT you will have a really hard time keeping the rubber on the wheel because now you have a 3-ply that you will have to secure pretty damn good for it not to move. I have never tried it on this particular application, but Liquid Nails has does some truly wonders with me in the past.

XPWMNE Club President
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  23:31:41  Show Profile
I've got the Bonner Governor in place, I have to admit I am really excited to see this thing go!

Here's what you see: I found from batteryjack.com a 12V-10Ah low profile battery that nobody else seems to carry, but does it ever fit well with the two standard size 6V batteries without modding a single thing. The 6V batteries are 6V-12Ah, so obviously the 12V is the weak link at only 10Ah -- I'll have to watch it when it starts to run down.

I thought I was going to secure the third battery down with coat hanger wire, but instead I just jammed some bubble wrap all around it, it's tight enough that I'm pretty sure that will keep it from shifting.

89.36 KB

I got the spring out of the throttle okay (it just snaps apart & back together), but I was having a hard time finding the same washer that Bonner had used -- those big washers are called a fender washer or a dock washer. Instead I got a 1.25" foam seal, which I glued to the thumb throttle with super glue, then I got a 5/8" washer & glued on a 5/16" washer with more super glue. The screw is just a big counter-sunk wood screw with a 3/8" head. The throttle works terrific, with the foam seal there is enough drag that the throttle is going to hold tight no matter how hard the car bumps along.

99.55 KB

I have all three batteries wired up in series & draw off 6V to power the headlights & taillights, 12V to run the police lights & the key ignition relay, and 24V is switched into the controller. Left switch is for headlights, right switch for police lights.

98.86 KB

Thanks for looking!

Question for Bonner: where had you hooked up the DC volt meter, was it to the motor input wires? When you did your voltmeter pictures for the Bonner Governor, you must have been pressing the throttle at the same time? That's the last thing I have to hook up. I'll upload some video feed tomorrow!

Edited by - Grunchy on 07/19/2008 08:31:48
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  10:49:47  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Voltmeter goes on the brown and blue wires that are going to the car/motors...

As you adjust the throttle you should be able to see the voltage go up and down. That would be the amount that you are allowing into the car.

Don't go above about 15 volts on the super 6 motors... Otherwise you will start to smell a funny electrical smell as the motors start to implode!

If you do 15 volts make sure to check for funny smells and let the motors cool down and then lower the voltage a little bit.

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  10:36:31  Show Profile
Okay I didn't know that... uh, I guess we went a little more than the recommended voltages!! I think what was saving us was a 40lb pilot in a single-seater machine, if you put 100 lbs on those motors at that voltage I'm certain they wouldn't last very long.

Well the governor really does its job. It has a real nice "soft start" that limits amperage to about 10A so it doesn't put a big shock into the geartrain when you start, in fact it probably starts softer now than when it didn't have the slicks! It will limit hill-climbing ability but that's okay, I'll probably put in an intermittent bypass switch at some point (if it seems to be a nuisance).

Once you hit about 18V it starts to become a bit scarey fast, of course that depends on the experience of your pilot, and it gets hard to turn around in the alley at that speed if you can't spin out. Ah Well, lower voltages & speeds are still lots of fun!!

One thing I noticed: we ran that thing hard all day and the batteries never got too discharged, I was worried about the 12V battery and it still had ample charge (according to the Schumacher charger). The controller got pretty warm too, it would be nice to put a bit more ventilation under there especially since the cavity is pretty much all filled up with wires & stuff.

The slicks work great, they actually pulled slightly from cornering forces despite the glue holding them on!

We'll make sure to keep 'er down to 15V, we never did notice any funny smells so we've got that going for us.....
Go to Top of Page

sennhenn
Expert Modder

NJ
USA

585 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  14:13:28  Show Profile
Sweet ride Grunchy. Nice application of the Bonner Governor. I look forward to applying some sort of soft start / variable speed to one or some of our vehicles one day as well. Great video too, maybe you should apply for video of the week :)

sennhenn

Daddy's Collection is getting out of control. (and this picture is way dated: it includes 4 we don't have anymore, and doesn't show 5 newer ones!)
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  22:58:37  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Your video almost made me cry... Thanks for the recognition of the Bonner Governor in the video.

What voltage did you find yourself running it at the most?

I know that the limited turning area definitely affected the true capabilities of the car. Looks like it could handle like no other PW I have ever seen with your stickem to the road traction aids...

Would love to see a video of him at that 15 volts in a larger parking lot/space doing circles around you. Would better show the true speed!

Like the lights too!

Whats next?

B-

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 07/19/2008 22:59:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly