These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 variable speed quad w/brakes
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  23:12:59  Show Profile
did this today and thougt i would post what i did. i took one of the kids favorite rides a ninja quad and made it variable speed. i also kept the brakes and made it just like what they are already used too. the only thing they will have to get used to is the varable speed. for now it is running the full 24v on stock gearboxes #3's, and yes i know it will break.

here is the vid, tell me what you think.

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4HWs_Kipk

part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hG44dffDwM

"free is always better"

greatdane
Expert Modder

Northwest
IN
USA

737 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  05:33:15  Show Profile
Looks good, looks good. You would be surprised how long they will hold up with the variable start (an no heavy kids, no adults) riding.

What kind of driver is the gearbox on the quads?
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  06:24:50  Show Profile
driver? are meaning the wheel driver? if you are it is the stock one, the kind that comes on all the jeeps. big, black, has four slots for the wheel nibs.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  06:44:58  Show Profile
Nice job gameboy, sounds like the foot pedal acts like a safety switch in a way, in order for the thumb throttle to work that pedal must be pressed correct? I know its also used as a break, or do you have two foot pedals?? I see you were describing it in the video and I also notice you have one still on the PW, wasn't sure if that was a replacement or something you added extra.

"Saving the landfills, one Power Wheels at a time."
XPWMNE Club President
'98 PW Jeep (not updated)
PW/Peg Jeep Wheelie (not updated)
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  07:34:27  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
How do the kids like it? Or are you not going to let them ride it? If the throttle is in full throttle position and they push the gas does it have a soft start? Make sure there is a child on it to give the controller some resistance to see how it reacts to being turned on already in the full setting.

Thanks,
Bonner

NOTICE: I am not on MPW as much as I used to be!! PM me if you have questions about any of my threads!!!
I especially would love a PM from you if you did a project of your own similar to one of mine!!!

PWMOT Hijack Prevention Thread
Introduction and Collection
Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 04/13/2008 07:38:04
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  07:48:00  Show Profile
quote:
sounds like the foot pedal acts like a safety switch in a way, in order for the thumb throttle to work that pedal must be pressed correct?

yes, i guess you could call it a deadman switch. if they let go, it activates the brakes(just shorts the motors like stock did)

quote:
do you have two foot pedals??

just the one. they have to press it to make the throttle work. i have it hooked up on the output side of the controller, the lead to the motors. i still need a jumper from the pedal to the "brake" connector on the controller as a back up and so it cuts power to the controller when they let up off the pedal.

quote:
How do the kids like it?

dont know yet, just did it yesterday and was at work, also its dillons b-day and we are haveing a bunch of kids over so i wont give it to them till tomorrow. i didnt want the neigbor kids breaking it before they got a chance to use it. its ok if mine breakit, but not the neigbor kids.

quote:
If the throttle is in full throttle position and they push the gas does it have a soft start?

dont know yet, right now it full throttle with no delay. will have to wait to see when the kids get on it.
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  07:55:47  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
Could you remove this entire post and re-post it after you have done proper Research and Development. Your teaser video is like you teasing your children with a new toy and then telling them they can't play with it until the day after their birthday! Come'on those kids won't be there until later... It's early (mom's still asleep) she won't even know... Let'em RIDE! Just 5 minutes..

You don't have to respond to this posting.

Thanks,
Bonner

NOTICE: I am not on MPW as much as I used to be!! PM me if you have questions about any of my threads!!!
I especially would love a PM from you if you did a project of your own similar to one of mine!!!

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 04/13/2008 08:00:11
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  11:04:08  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
All I gotta say is.... you have a lot more accent talking to you on the phone then you did in your video!

I guess I'm just WAY too slow at posting pics. You built one after I did, and still beat me to the pics part!

You can use the complete stock harness if you wanted. Just cut off the battery connector, and connect the output of the controller to rest of the harness. Then you can maintain the high/low/reverse and stock pedal setup. That's how I did ours, and just left the high speed lockout screw in place.

I had the pedal set up like that in ours at first. I liked the idea because it forced them to keep their feet in place. But the kids seemed to get confused about having to hold the pedal and twist the throttle at the same time. So, I swapped the wires, so it would be brakes when pressed, and then they had trouble keeping their feet off the pedal. So, I removed the pedal and left just the stub of the switch sticking up, and they'd still accidentally hit it once in a while. So, I removed the switch But I'm running motors in series so it's not as fast as yours will be, and it's 4wd so there's more drag when they let up. With the 24 volts to the motors, you may want to keep the brakes? Your kids are figuring it out OK? A bit older then mine I assume? (3 and 1.5).

I skipped connecting the brake disconnect to the controller and it works fine. Bonner is running his without it also I believe.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho

Edited by - swhenrik on 04/14/2008 11:05:11
Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  11:19:42  Show Profile
I see no real harm coming from not signalling the brake disconnect to the controller. You are opening the motor circuit when engaging the brakes so it's not like the current is going anywhere.

------------------------------------------------
Screamin Demon (600 watt scooter motor, 36v scooter controller)
Red Harley (trike, 24v scooter controller, 13t MFJ gearboxes/motors)
KFX Quad (24v scooter controller, MFJ 12t gearboxes/motors)
Fire Rescue Jeep (24v scooter controller, 15t #7 gearboxes/motors)
Franken(berry)beast (24v scooter controller, 2-250Watt Scooter motors)
Grave Digger (21T gearboxes)
Super Shock
Razor MX-350 Motorcycle

Projects
--------
Jeep Wrangler (on hold)
Barbie Cruzin Tunes Jeep (24v scooter controller)
TCV Indy Racer (24v scooter controller)
Gator (on hold)
Silverado Dragster (on hold)
Apache (on hold)
Metal big wheel (24v scooter controller)
Jeep Aftershock
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  11:30:53  Show Profile
well, here is an update. after the party was over and all the people were gone i got it out of the truck for the oldest to ride and she had a few minutes of learning curve but got it down pretty good. she rode it too the back and let me tell you this thing is fast, scarry fast. she did a few laps around the back yard and something happened. i think i smoked a motor.

sure was fun while it lasted. i will have to look at it in a couple of days, too busy now. oh, well.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  11:46:23  Show Profile
If I were you, I'd toss in some lower rpm motors like the DCM-266's and keep running at 24v.

------------------------------------------------
Screamin Demon (600 watt scooter motor, 36v scooter controller)
Red Harley (trike, 24v scooter controller, 13t MFJ gearboxes/motors)
KFX Quad (24v scooter controller, MFJ 12t gearboxes/motors)
Fire Rescue Jeep (24v scooter controller, 15t #7 gearboxes/motors)
Franken(berry)beast (24v scooter controller, 2-250Watt Scooter motors)
Grave Digger (21T gearboxes)
Super Shock
Razor MX-350 Motorcycle

Projects
--------
Jeep Wrangler (on hold)
Barbie Cruzin Tunes Jeep (24v scooter controller)
TCV Indy Racer (24v scooter controller)
Gator (on hold)
Silverado Dragster (on hold)
Apache (on hold)
Metal big wheel (24v scooter controller)
Jeep Aftershock
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  12:27:46  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by gameboy

she did a few laps around the back yard and something happened. i think i smoked a motor.

sure was fun while it lasted. i will have to look at it in a couple of days, too busy now. oh, well.

Now you know why I don't allow my child to use the throttle!

The Bonner Governor used to be called the PMV Under the Hood... If the controller is under the hood - I can keep little John from smokin-smokin-smokin da motors..

Maybe when your Curtis controller comes in - the soft start that it has - will keep from smokin'em too!

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 04/14/2008 12:32:57
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  12:35:40  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik

I skipped connecting the brake disconnect to the controller and it works fine. Bonner is running his without it also I believe.

Yep!

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org
Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  14:57:42  Show Profile
Were those stock motors you were running? 267's would be a good replacement.

"Saving the landfills, one Power Wheels at a time."
XPWMNE Club President
'98 PW Jeep (not updated)
PW/Peg Jeep Wheelie (not updated)
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  15:58:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wickedways

Were those stock motors you were running? 267's would be a good replacement.

yea, everything was stock to start with and i knew what would happen, just wanted to see it. i plenty of parts to play with so it didnt bother me to do it.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  11:20:40  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
quote:

yea, everything was stock to start with and i knew what would happen, just wanted to see it. i plenty of parts to play with so it didnt bother me to do it.
So, you're calling it quits? Or you're going to rebuild/upgrade and get it working?

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  14:07:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik

quote:

So, you're calling it quits? Or you're going to rebuild/upgrade and get it working?

noooooo.... never quit. must fix.(in my best sloped head caveman voice) i just have to find the time to fix the mod. i figure i will be able next shift. i am thinking of replacing both stock motors with super six's and running the whole thing at 24v parallel, that way i get the best of both worlds, fast but not over volted too much.

"free is always better"

Edited by - gameboy on 04/15/2008 14:08:40
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  13:31:40  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
quote:

i am thinking of replacing both stock motors with super six's and running the whole thing at 24v parallel
I hope you mean series this time.
Super 6's on 24 volts does sound fun, don't get me wrong....

Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  17:25:28  Show Profile
thanks for the reminder, but i did mean series.

i said it had a problem or i burned one of the motors... well i got a chance to look at it today and found one of the connectors came off, rendering the right side motor inop.

since i had i apart i went ahead and replaced it with some super six motor/gearbox set ups that i got from collinsmom.

i also swapped out the controller with the 302S9 from tnc and it does seem to have a bit of a soft start, but i dont know if that is from changing it to series instead of parallel or if thats how the controller works. i did a short test with the old controller a LB27 and it seemed to have a bit of a soft start now too, not as much as the new controller though.

again i dont know if its the controller, the series/parallel change, or even the motor change, i will have to wait and see how it reacts with the kids on it.

i will keep you up to date.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  07:41:53  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I'm curious about the torque you'll see with the LB vs the CT controllers. Everyone I've heard of running a LB controller complained about torque problems, and my CT302S9's haven't had that issue.

I REALLY need to get some pics of our Dora Quad one of these days! Supposed to be nice this weekend, maybe I can get some.

Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  12:16:34  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
New video would be cool! And how many times do I have to tell you the controllers are setup to be soft start to keep the little old ladies from doing wheelies in their scooters!

Thanks,
Bonner

Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org

Edited by - BonnerBB on 04/18/2008 12:16:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: