These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Speed
 How do I get my kids powerwheel fast
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BLButler08

Carlsbad
CA
USA

2 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  12:21:44  Show Profile
I have just bought a ford f150 power wheel for my son and I need to know what to do to make it fast. If anyone can help me that would be appreciated.

Brandon Butler

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  12:26:31  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Start by reading through the FAQ's. Start with the one at the top of this section:
Speed FAQ- PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!!

In there is a link to:
FAQ - Making a PW (or other ride-on) faster

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

CCOMBS0708

3 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  11:24:39  Show Profile
Just purchased a new Jeep Hurricane. I read most of the FAQ and I'm pretty sure there I'll be able to add a 6v 12ah battery in addition to the stock 12v, however, is there any advantage to replacing the stock with a new Gruber 12v 12ah? Also, when adding a 6v will I need to add an inline fuse, or is this only if I switch out the stock 12v? Is the difference in power jumping to 24v someone costly when it comes to replacing new motors with 24v and adding heat sinc, fans, etc? Thanks for all your help.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  11:39:43  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
That advantage of replacing the stock battery is that the capacities will match. If one battery goes dead before the other, and kids continue to drive, is VERY hard on that low battery. If you watch it close enough to make sure that doesn't happen, it will definitely work.

If planning on running all "new" batteries, the best way to have them all match exactly is to run triple 6 volt batt's. Run them in series in the vehicle. Put them all in parallel for charging on a 6 volt cahrger. With a 12 and a 6 together, you need to charge them seperate.

24 volts is pretty much DOUBLE the stock speeds. I bet you'll be impressed with 18 volts. If that's not fast enough, it might be time to look into go-carts?

The motors are actually only a minor part of the problem. They are extremely cheap and easy to come by. For example, they are something like $3.50 each from allelectronics. Gearboxes are another story. You can't buy gears or gearboxes from PW. Kidswheels sells gearboxes for $30+ each, there's some debate whether they are authentic PW parts or not. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find someone on here selling them, but I'm thinking the Hurricane is the only one that uses that exact gearbox, so it's not too likely.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

CCOMBS0708

3 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  12:08:46  Show Profile
Thanks for the quick reply. The cost of new Gruber 6v batteries isn't a problem, so I think I'll do that. Should I get the 6v 12ah? What would you say the average run time would be before needing to charge? What charger would you recommend I purchase in order to charge all 3 at the same time. A good charger will cut to a trickle to save battery life won't it? Should I ever chare them individually? Should I run new wires instead of cutting into the stock wires in order to protect my warranty? Any suggestion for use of the original stock 12v or should I just shelf it for another day?
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  13:19:05  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I guess I'd recommend the 12AH's. Run time, as a guess, on hard flat surfaces, I'd say an hour. Should be pretty similar run time to the stock 12 volt 9.5 AH battery. You'll have bigger batt's, but more voltage = more current draw.

Chargers are covered pretty well in the FAQ's:
FAQ - Which charger should I use?
The 2 chargers suggested, the "companion" and the "600a," are both "automatic" and won't cook your batt's like most Power Wheels factory chargers will.

The 600a will charge faster.... in fact you may actually use the 6 amp setting on 36AH worth of batt's. But there might be a slightly safety issue with the 600a on 6 volts.... I think that's covered in that thread also.

I'd charge them individually about every 5th time or so, or once a year, whichever comes first. Probably better yet would be to check the voltage on each battery, when they are somewhat low, with a load on it, and compare the 3.

Whatever battery combination you use, you'd simple connect the batteries in series, and then connect the assembly into the 2 wires that went to the stock battery. The only way to do that without cutting the stock wires is to either try to find a plug out of an old PW battery, or pry the plug out of yours, and connect your 18 volt setup to that.

What to do with the original batt? Any other PW's around the house? Time for some dumpster diving? You can find PW's with a bad battery cheap (or free), and drop that one in it.

Or, use it in the Hurricane for 12 volt accessories, like lights, a stereo, etc...

Go to Top of Page

CCOMBS0708

3 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  14:01:50  Show Profile
Installing 3 6v batteries would need a fused link somewhere wouldn't it? Maybe a 30amp? From the look of the 6v battery size, I guess I could just duct tape the 3 6V batteries together for easy removal, and keep a spare set of 3 charged and ready on standby. I think the hurricane has room for this. Any idea what kind of time frame to charge 3 6v using the 4amp setting on 600a? You mentioned using the 6amp setting, but said that might be dangerous. If I charge them individually what amp setting should I use? I've also got an old 12v power wheels jeep. If I set it up with 24v, and run it on fairly slick surfaces, will I burn up the motors/gears in just a few uses? Do you know of anyone that you could connect me with that has already modified their Hurricane?
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  17:16:11  Show Profile
you were asking about run time. last night i took the kids to the park on there power wheels (both 18v and running 6v and a 12v) which is a mile and a half away, they made it there just fine. about the time they got home the oldest batteries where about ready to swap out and i could see that it was running slower, but the youngest still had plenty of ride time left in his. oldest weighs around 55lbs and youngest weighs 35lbs. total run was about 3 miles took us about an hour to ride it.

so to really answer your question, it would depend on rider weight, terrain, how fast(hi or low speed) at low it will go twice as far(theoretically)...

thats how you can figure run time.

hope this helps

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  07:20:25  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
You should do a fuse or breaker on each battery. As close as possible to the battery terminal. On the same terminal on all 3 batteries, but it really doesn't matter it it's on the positive or negative.

If running in series but charging in parallel, make sure each battery is still individually fuse or breaker protected. I skipped this step for charging and had some smoking wires just recently!

Duct taping the set together would actually make for a nice "one piece" block to deal with, especially if running 2 swappable sets.

There's a thread discussing some methods of plugging in to the vehicle and charger that requires less thinking (good for the wife or kids) here:
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3306

I'm thinking that 40 amps fuses/breakers will be needed.

Doubling the voltage doubles the "power" through the motors and gearboxes. It also spins the motors and parts twice as fast. Then the throttle is instant full power and from that right to instant full brakes. It's not a good combo. Running something to soften the start/stops (Scooter controller for example) will greatly increase the life of the parts.

Running 24 volts also far exceeds the safety intent of the vehicle. That's why I suggested looking into go-carts.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: