These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 NASCAR/McQueen Steering mods
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  19:18:14  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
As usual, PW dropped the ball with steering on the NASCAR/McQueen models. Our hasn't even been driven, except for back and forth in the family room, but it was still obvious there was a problem. The leverage actually seems OK on this one, but the steering angle/ turning radius is pretty poor. So, turn it over and find the problems.

First thing is the stopper on the steering wheel to keep it from turning too far. There are 2 options, try to widen the "notch" in the chassis, or just remove the stopper from the wheel. I chose the 2nd option:

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho

Edited by - swhenrik on 02/14/2008 19:52:41

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  19:38:03  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Next problem..... The steering stem binds before it turns any sharper. It binds in a couple places actualy, one on the main part of the "axle" area, and the slot isn't large enough. Here's a pic with the front end off, but it's not necessary to disassemle it like this to do this mod.

So, a little work with a utility knife to trim the problem areas: enlongating the slot and notching the "axle" area.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho

Edited by - swhenrik on 02/14/2008 19:50:30
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  19:40:42  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
The slot is actually through 2 layers of plastic, part of which is attached to the front axle, the 2nd layer being the floor inside, which also needs to be elongated, in the "up" direction.

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  19:43:41  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Here the results, I think it's pretty obvious how much is gained:

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  19:48:12  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Stay tuned.... for next month's issue I'll install a steel plate to tie the spindles together. There is already notches in the chassis for it, so I just need to find a part that will fit.

Center to center of spindles is about 13 7/8", and the notch will fit a 3/4" wide plate. (Hint hint, AlanP)

Edited by - swhenrik on 02/14/2008 19:51:42
Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  21:33:07  Show Profile
Yeah, I'm planning on modding that new nascar as well but waiting for parts. Theoretically, by removing the "notch" itself, the tires should turn till something else gets in the way, which happens to be the rotational restrictions of the holes/slots that the steering rod rides thru. When you elongated and widen the holes, did you pre-plan how far the wheels will rotate with the amount of material removed from the holes? I ask this only because sometimes we have a tendency to remove alittle too much (getting carried away) and then next thing we know, it turns up to the point where the tires rub, which is not a good thing. I take it the holes were widened enough to cause the same restriction, but allowing a sharper turn without any interference to the tires?

Have you noticed Shawn that the steering itself is alittle stiff? I'm not sure if its because its new, but that will be one of my projects for this car is to remove that tightness in the steering.

"Saving the landfills, one Power Wheels at a time."
XPWMNE Club President
'98 PW Jeep (not updated)
PW/Peg Jeep Wheelie (not updated)
Go to Top of Page

Timmy5Liter
Journeyman Modder

northern
oklahoma
USA

185 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  22:14:40  Show Profile
i've noticed the steering to be stiff as well..

1 GraveDigger
2 Yellow Hummer H2's
1 AfterShock
1 Escalade
1 Nascar #24
1 Nascar #8
2 wranglers
1 JD power pull tractor
1 Dream Dazzler (lol)

I too have been ran over by a PW...
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  07:49:23  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
When I trimmed the notches, I made them longer, but kept the width the same. Widening the notches will add slop to the steering. I didn't do anything creative for how far, in fact I trimmed a ways and reassembled and re-disassembled and trimmed more, and so on...

Even still, the steering stem will hit before the tires start rubbing. In fact, there's enough flex in everything to push the tires turning sharper yet, and they will go a LONG ways before hitting anything, a lot further then the total offset of the steering stem. Theoretically, if you trimmed way too far, you could turn the steering wheel past 90 degrees and the wheels would start straightening back out, and I still don't think the tires would hit anything. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The steering seems less stiff after this trimming. Part of the problem is that the stem would start binding in the slot just off of straight. After trimming, it steers further and then start binding again, and you can tell the difference.

But, it didn't completely cure the issue, the steering still has some drag in it. I think that a little use should help, but some lube may do wonders also. TiddlerRacer has claimed some huge improvement by lubricating the pivots, I have yet to try it myself. I forget what he used though..... Tri-Flow?

The next thing that I think will help is adding the steel reinforcement plate in, that it was apparently designed to use in the first place. But, I plan to take it a step further, possibly adding some steel bushings for the spindles to eliminate the plastic on steel friction.

Keep in mind, the friction of plastic on steel isn't all that bad... but it requires a very smooth surface of the steel part (polished) and relatively hard plastic. The "L" shaped spindles are not very smooth, and the body plastic is too soft.

It's different where the wheels run on the spindles.... eventually the wheels wear the spindle smooth, and it uses harder plastic for the bushings.

Go to Top of Page

radarnick
Journeyman Modder

Front Royal
VA
USA

442 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  17:52:28  Show Profile  Send radarnick a Yahoo! Message
DUDE thank you my son loves his but dosn't drive it much and I think I know why know the steering sucks

1 MORE PW's AND WIFE WILL KILL ME

1 metal frame jeep 4x4
1 Grave Digger 24V MOD
AND A TON OF PARTS
Go to Top of Page

Timmy5Liter
Journeyman Modder

northern
oklahoma
USA

185 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  19:49:59  Show Profile
i did that mod last night, i tell you what a world of difference. Went to lowes today boiught some flat steel 3/4 x 3ft just have to take the nascar apart an measure then waaalaaa

1 GraveDigger
2 Yellow Hummer H2's
1 AfterShock
1 Escalade
1 Nascar #24
1 Nascar #8
2 wranglers
1 JD power pull tractor
1 Dream Dazzler (lol)

Go to Top of Page

madforce
Apprentice Modder

South College Station :)
TX
USA

65 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  11:30:45  Show Profile
I did this to my daughter's Lightning McQueen the night before Christmas as I was building it. Just pulled out the dremel and cut down the stoppers on the steering wheel hole...took all of 2 minutes. So, she NEVER drove it was the way it was shipped. I was really surprised at how limited the steering was on this thing!
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  11:38:51  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Ours still hasn't found it's way out of the family room.... but he's been driving it back and forth in there. My son did manage to get a tire to rub a little at full lock, but it's not rubbing on a visible area, and I highly doubt it will ever catch on whatever it's rubbing on. I'll look into it further.

I'm working in AlanP, trying to find a steel bar that will work. But it's not looking good. I think the closest thing we'll find is getting the bar from another vehicle (uni-body Jeep? Mustang?), cutting down the length, and redrilling one end. Or starting from scratch like Timmy5Liter mentioned..... which I hope he keeps us posted how it works

Does anyone have a Mustang they can get a pic of the underside of? And a measurement, spindle to spindle?

Madforce.... you should look into trimming the areas I pointed out, I think you'll be surprised just how much more there is to gain.

Go to Top of Page

madforce
Apprentice Modder

South College Station :)
TX
USA

65 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  11:59:10  Show Profile
The mod I made works fine...it's turn as far as it can w/out rubbing and she has no problem turning the car.
Go to Top of Page

Timmy5Liter
Journeyman Modder

northern
oklahoma
USA

185 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  11:30:09  Show Profile
well I did installed the metal strap an notched it for the steering rod. I ddi notice that the box in which the strap goes into isn't all that straight i had to off center the holes, wouldn't line up. Then again you can also flex that box so the strap an holes will line up fine. It din't do wonders for the steering but it didn't hurt either. I did take the little plastic spindles an sand them with the dremel untill they wouldn't rub the tie rod plate. that seems to me where alot of the stiffness in the steering came from. i just used the dremel with a polish wheel on it an started melting. lol then took some emery cloth an wd-40 an polished them after words, I would estimate i took about 1/8 in. off of them just where they glide over the tie rod plate..

1 GraveDigger
2 Yellow Hummer H2's
1 AfterShock
1 Escalade
1 Nascar #24
1 Nascar #8
2 wranglers
1 JD power pull tractor
1 Dream Dazzler (lol)

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  16:21:26  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Can you get some pics of it? Would be nice to see how the idea is progressing.

Go to Top of Page

Timmy5Liter
Journeyman Modder

northern
oklahoma
USA

185 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  22:53:32  Show Profile
of the metal strap or of the spindles rubbing against the tie rod? I"m gonna be doing the 'shaving' to the spindles again so i'll take some b4 an after shots of the little boys #24. as far as the strap i'm not sure if i'm gonna do it to the #24 or not. I might, i'll remember to take pics too, i do have some of the finished #8 an can take more of any specifics that you'd like. Just don't want to wake the wife up an ask her where the camera bag is @ midnight. lol

1 GraveDigger
2 Yellow Hummer H2's
1 AfterShock
1 Escalade
1 Nascar #24
1 Nascar #8
2 wranglers
1 JD power pull tractor
1 Dream Dazzler (lol)

Edited by - Timmy5Liter on 02/19/2008 22:56:26
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  09:19:03  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Pics of anything you did would be good. I was gonna guinea pig the steel bar across the front, but you beat me to it. So if you get pics, will save me the work LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Timmy5Liter
Journeyman Modder

northern
oklahoma
USA

185 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  20:15:26  Show Profile

92.9 KB

96.26 KB

98.55 KB

54.56 KB

99.13 KB

i'll probably do the strap again on the 24 car just have to wait for the temp to get above 32 again... lol let me know what ya think!

1 GraveDigger
2 Yellow Hummer H2's
1 AfterShock
1 Escalade
1 Nascar #24
1 Nascar #8
2 wranglers
1 JD power pull tractor
1 Dream Dazzler (lol)

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  08:51:44  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Pics look great!

So what's your opinion on the addition of the bar? Less chassis flex? Less steering slop? More or less steering drag?

The slot in the chassis on yours looks a bit wide... are you getting some slop there?

One thing I pondered on adding once I got a steel bar installed, is another steel piece to act as a guide for the steering stem. It would be bolted through the new cross bar to tie everything together. Again, hoping steel on steel would be less drag, and hopefully less slop. But I'm not sure if I'd slot that piece to allow the steering stem to move, or solid mount it and change the tie-rod setup.

Go to Top of Page

Timmy5Liter
Journeyman Modder

northern
oklahoma
USA

185 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  09:13:04  Show Profile
i don't see any problems with the strap being notched, not yet anyways. Now the only benefit for the strap right now is to pull the spindle holes forward some, then seem to curve back in ( arc like that kinda way. another thing is remove the top caps from the spindles and put a washer under there an replace with new caps. like you said that damn plastic is so soft on these.

i've noticed slop from the body slot where the stem goes through, also thought about modding that.

1 GraveDigger
2 Yellow Hummer H2's
1 AfterShock
1 Escalade
1 Nascar #24
1 Nascar #8
2 wranglers
1 JD power pull tractor
1 Dream Dazzler (lol)

Edited by - Timmy5Liter on 02/21/2008 09:15:01
Go to Top of Page

khaos08
Journeyman Modder

USA

179 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  09:29:53  Show Profile
This has helped my two PW considerably... The kids are happy now that they can turn completely around without going into reverse or hitting the fense in our relatively small back yard...
Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  10:31:09  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

I performed this mod last night on our 12V Lightning McQueen. The turning radius is much better now. My son is going to love it. Thanks so much! Next up, I'll be upgrading from 12V 9.5Ah to 18V 12Ah. :)

Chris Hozian

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness." ~The New Era, August 1989, pages 4-5.

12V PW Lightning McQueen @ 18V :: 12V PW Red Harley-Davidson Motorcycle @ 18V :: 12V Peg Jeep Apache @ 18V :: Super 6 PW CAT Tough Loader @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Firerock Jeep Wrangler @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Ford F-150 @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Get Set Go-Kart @ 12V :: 6V Rand Spider-Man Lil Quad @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Lil Quad (Sold) :: 12V Dumar Yamaha Raptor 660R Quad :: Super 6 PW Barbie Trail Rider Quad :: 12V Yellow Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V Green Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V PW Classic Chrome Harley-Davidson Motorcycle (Sold) :: 12V Little Tikes Hummer H2 (Sold) :: 12V PW Ford Mustang :: 12V PW Chevy Silverado 1500 (Traded) :: 12V PW Barbie Cruisin' Tunes Jeep :: 6V PW Barbie Blitz Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep :: 6V PW Hot Wheels Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep (Sold)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: