These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Batteries and Wiring
 Orange Top Battery for Hurricane
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lagarz

Otsego
Minnesota
USA

2 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  16:36:28  Show Profile
Hi, I am new here, and have been searching some threads about the battery for the hurricane. I bought a new one yesterday off craigslist, but it did not come with a battery. I have 2 12V grey ones, but the warnings on the manual say to only use the orange top battery or risk damage to the Jeep. What is the difference between the two, and what type of risk is there?

Thank you for any response...

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  16:45:23  Show Profile
I think that the only difference is amp hour ratings. You can contact Hobby Masters for more information on Power Wheels brand batteries. Their website is at the bottom of all the pages here. Someone else may know the answer too though.

Excellent.
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  18:11:36  Show Profile
the orange top has a 40 amp breaker instead of the standard 30 amp. same ah rating.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

HobbyMasters
Senior Modder

Red Bank
NJ
USA

1349 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  19:12:38  Show Profile  Visit HobbyMasters's Homepage
Correct gameboy. The orange one has a higher amp rating on the circuit breaker because the bigger vehicles draw more. If you use the regular grey batteries you will pop the breakers and eventually ruin them.

HobbyMasters is the largest official Power Wheels Service Center
Saving the world one Power Wheels at a time.
Go to Top of Page

lagarz

Otsego
Minnesota
USA

2 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  19:15:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AlanP

Correct gameboy. The orange one has a higher amp rating on the circuit breaker because the bigger vehicles draw more. If you use the regular grey batteries you will pop the breakers and eventually ruin them.

So I would ruin the battery, but not the jeep?
Not that I want to do that, but my son really wants to try out the jeep.
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  21:28:06  Show Profile
although i agree with alanp(the man) he is incorrect in just the slightest bit. really nit picking here, but, the battery wont be ruind, what happens is the breaker is made weaker. everytime you pop a breaker and it resets, it will get just the slightest bit weaker so the next time it pops it wont pop at lets say 30 amps it will pop at 29 amps and the next time it may pop at 27 amps, untill it reaches a happy medium with it self and settles on maybe 22amps... so from now on your 30amp breaker will pop at 22amps instead of 30 like it should, essentially making your 55.00 power wheels battery useless. so in short it does ruin the functionality of the battery, but the battery itself is just fine. now, if you were industrious you could rip the top off the battery and take out the bad breaker, solder a bridge across the old breaker points and make it work again, but you would need to install an aftermarket fuse/breaker for saftey. seems like a lot of work just for useing the wrong battery.

i know, i know, long story about nothing when the end rusult is the battery wont work, but i couldnt help myself. im an A.R.F.

"free is always better"

Edited by - gameboy on 01/28/2008 21:30:20
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  07:31:37  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
My vote.... Plug the battery in and let your son try it out.

If you do toast the breaker, THEN do the jumper thing like Gameboy was talking about and add the external breaker.... Or try to hack out the old breaker and solder a new one in that is rated for 40 amps and be done with it.

Here's a pic showing the built-in breaker on the lower left hand side:

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho

Edited by - swhenrik on 01/29/2008 07:33:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: