These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Motors/Gearing/Drivetrain
 Individual Gears?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

judyneric

4 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  07:29:06  Show Profile
My son has a Yamaha Raptor from Dumar Industries. The motors would work when the pedal was pressed, but the wheels wouldn't turn. Using my brilliant powers of deduction, I concluded that something must be wrong.

Something had to be done. After a comprehensive analysis and several staff meetings, the dismantling of the Raptor was selected as the optimal solution to try and fix the problem.

I started to plan the dismantling of the Raptor. I decided that using dynamite would not be very effective in finding the problem, and could actually cause more problems. I opted to use tools to open up the Raptor. This appears to have been a wise move.

I opened up the left gearbox and found a broken gear. Now, I ask, is there a place to buy a single gear, instead of the entire gearbox? I only see links and info on buying whole gearboxes.

Also, when the Raptor is running, does each motor operate independently? Or do they both operate at once? If independently, can I disable the left motor so only the right motor operates so my son can ride his Raptor until I get the left side gear fixed? Of course, this question applies only if there are no broken gears inside the right gearbox, which I have yet to open (I really really really wanna try out that dynamite!).

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. How come none of you has yet figured out a way to make these vehicles fly???

chopper

Illinois
USA

1228 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  08:05:41  Show Profile  Visit chopper's Homepage  Click to see chopper's MSN Messenger address
Oh but they do fly...... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4208551084184588388&q=powerwheels

I have only ever seen whole gearboxes for sale. There is a chance that someone on here may have a used one for sale.

Also, you should be able to run with just one motor, correct me if I'm wrong someone, but you'll only be able to run in high. Low speed will not be available. That's all considering it runs one 12volt battery.

Edited by - chopper on 08/01/2006 08:21:34
Go to Top of Page

judyneric

4 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  09:24:52  Show Profile
thanks for that video, chopper... i had no idea powerwheels-type craft could leave the ground (or cause that much pain)! that's a good video.

as far as running with one motor...

using my amazing powers of problem solving, i thought about the one motor possibility. i came up with 3 possibilities:

1. it can run on one motor, but the right side also has broken gears, because the Raptor currently doesn't move.

2. it can run on one motor, but the left side is the default drive side, and the right side kicks in if the left side isn't performing well (slipping, spinning, being robbed at knifepoint, etc.).

3. it cannot run on only one motor.

Testing Theory 1: i opened up the right side gearbox, and all the gears were fine. theory 1 is out the window.

Testing Theory 2: i swapped the right side gearbox with the left side gearbox (which is missing the broken, middle sized gear), and reassembled. presto change-o!!! the raptor's wheels would not spin. theory 2 is disproven.

Testing Theory 3: theory 3 is accepted at this point, because I cannot think of anything else that could be the problem. i am certain someone with a mere grasp of mechanics would know i the one motor operation is possble, but i do not have even a mere grasp.

that being said, if i lift the back end and run the motors, the wheels do spin a bit. but put any pressure on the wheels, and they stop.

i am surprised there isn't a store that carries many different gears. like radio shack has a bunch of switches and circuits and thing. hmmmm.... on that note, look soon for my nationwide chain of gear stores. all gears, all the time. it's a can't miss!

seriously, thanks for your help, chopper, and anyone else who helps too.
Go to Top of Page

chopper

Illinois
USA

1228 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  09:52:14  Show Profile  Visit chopper's Homepage  Click to see chopper's MSN Messenger address
Are the motors good? Did you test them when you took them out of the gearboxes to see if they would spin?
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  11:16:49  Show Profile
I have seen on this forum that Dumar has updated the gearboxes for the Raptor. Call them and tell them what happened and see what they can do for you. If I remember correctly the update includes two gearboxes and a new axle that is longer to compensate for the thicker gearbox output gear.

I tried to locate the post but was unsuccessful. If anyone has a link to the post regarding the replacement gearboxes from Dumar, or even info on it - please post it here.

****Testing the limits of Fisher Price engineering on a daily basis.****
Go to Top of Page

judyneric

4 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  12:39:02  Show Profile
sorry i didn't reply sooner to the new replies.

chopper, yep, the motors are good. i'm not sure why one side won't pull, but maybe it has something to do with positraction and Narvell's Theory of Differentiating Radii and Arcs in Expending Propulsive Energy (I made that last part up).

Tiddler Racer, I couldn't come up with anything through google about an official recall, just a few anecdotes about people receiving new gearboxes. Here are two comments I found on a product review website:

... I too had problems with the gears called Dumar Inter at 866.424.0500 and they are sending me new gear unit at no charge

Anyone needed assistance with the Yamaha Raptor. Can contact INFO@DUMARUSA.COM OR 1866-424-0500.

FYI, the Dumar website is www.dumarusa.com

their website provides no info at all that i could see, except their phone number and email address.

i emailed Dumar requesting new parts (because their phone was overwhelemed by a higher volume of calls than usual). hopefully, they will send me out new gearboxes and an axle.

thanks for everyone's help on this!

judyneric
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  14:03:42  Show Profile
As far as I can tell, this isn't a "recall," and if you inquire about a recall they will tell you there is no recall. However, updated (stronger) parts are available, and many people have received them free of charge when they call to order geraboxes because their gearboxes stripped.

****Testing the limits of Fisher Price engineering on a daily basis.****
Go to Top of Page

jasncab
Forum Admin

Phoenix
AZ
USA

1119 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  14:48:02  Show Profile  Visit jasncab's Homepage
I had a gearbox go out on the princess solstice. Called and it was replaced free of charge. Only question I had to answer was my address.

Ask first, then buy - Dumar is making a name for themselves. So far it is good.
Go to Top of Page

judyneric

4 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  11:36:29  Show Profile
well, i waited a few weeks and got no response to my email to Dumar.

I just called and got through on the first ring. I told them the gears had broken, and the lady who answered the phone said she'd send out the new parts.

She did say to wait about 3 weeks because the item is backordered.

So, if you run into this broken gear problem, I advise you to call, and if all lines are busy, keep calling back. Don't rely on email.
Go to Top of Page

Bailey0401

1 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  08:40:31  Show Profile
Just curious how old these machines are, for those that are getting new gears and axles for free. My son's Yamaha Raptor had some stripped gears and I am now waiting for the part to be shipped but they are charging me for it.
Go to Top of Page

john

1 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  20:41:58  Show Profile
I hope you have better luck with Dumar than I have. We have twin boys so we bought two of the raptor 660's from wally world. One of them hasn't worked from the first 30 min. it was out of the box. It will run in reverse no matter how you put the switches. I think the controller is bad but cannot for the life of me get one from them. It's hard to keep telling the twins that the parts are on the way and Mr Rick Fair is sending the parts to fix it. It's been 3 months now and still nothing. I hope to dig around here and find out about bypassing the controller. The traces on the circuit board on these units are beefed up with sold copper wire. I suspect they have had some issues with melting them.
thanks for the great site!!
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  20:20:45  Show Profile
judy, in response to your first question about single gears, i have sent one to a gear maker and he is trying to find a replacement. i will update when i know if it is possible and how much.

free is always better

old amav rally car parts only
old ninja
old jeep wrangler
old old fp sports car, broke
old ninja quad
eliminator
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  13:31:25  Show Profile
have got the gear back and he says it would be more economical to buy individual gears. ( i dont think that he and i are on the same page, i thought that is why i sent it to him) also said that type gear is harder to produce/make. either way i still think that if we are able to find the sorce of pw gears or another sorce that would solve the majority of our problems.

free is always better

old amav rally car parts only
2 old ninja
old jeep wrangler
old old fp sports car, broke
old ninja quad
extreme machine
Go to Top of Page

goblue66

1 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  15:50:31  Show Profile
i bought a dumar yamaha raptor for my daughter and it runs great in low forward and reverse. the thing is i cant get the shifter to go into high forward. the manual says something about a restricter plate that needs to be removed but tells nothing on how to do so. anyone with an idea would be appreciated. thanks
Go to Top of Page

heidiann1122

Wardensville
WV
USA

5 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  10:40:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by goblue66

i bought a dumar yamaha raptor for my daughter and it runs great in low forward and reverse. the thing is i cant get the shifter to go into high forward. the manual says something about a restricter plate that needs to be removed but tells nothing on how to do so. anyone with an idea would be appreciated. thanks

Go to Top of Page

heidiann1122

Wardensville
WV
USA

5 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  10:42:33  Show Profile
trying to see if goblue66 Posted - 12/27/2008 : 15:50:31
ever got an answer to his/her question? I have the same problem and been trying to find the answer for two hours now. 5yr old wants to ride his new Raptor, but only likes "high" speed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"i bought a dumar yamaha raptor for my daughter and it runs great in low forward and reverse. the thing is i cant get the shifter to go into high forward. the manual says something about a restricter plate that needs to be removed but tells nothing on how to do so. anyone with an idea would be appreciated. thanks"
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  13:42:19  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by heidiann1122

trying to see if goblue66 Posted - 12/27/2008 : 15:50:31
ever got an answer to his/her question? I have the same problem and been trying to find the answer for two hours now. 5yr old wants to ride his new Raptor, but only likes "high" speed

I can't really say how to remove it myself, but did you try calling their 800 number? It says on the manual to call for assembly assistance, 866-424-0500. One of the posts said they got through right away when they called.
Also, this probably would get more attention if you had posted it in its own thread, rather than posting it in a pretty old thread on gears.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)

Edited by - gseric69 on 12/28/2008 13:43:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: