These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Mongoose Dirt Grinder - Does it last?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

momofdms

2 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  08:27:19  Show Profile
Okay I am looking to buy my sons either the Mongoose dirt grinder or Razor Quad. Here are my questions that I hope someone will answer. Anyone with these quads had any problems with them? If so what kind of problems? I have read through the forum on the dirt grinder and think it would be the best. My concern is how well it is built. How well does it hold up over time? How long does the battery last on the dirt grinder? I read the specs was wondering on real time. How lond do you have to charge it before it's ready to go again?

We have gone through an old PW jeep, LT Hummer, new red pW jeep,Safety 1st yellow corvette, and a red corvette. We refuse to buy plastic anymore! I see Mongoose is manufactured by Pacific cycle LTd, the same as the corvette. I had a hard time dealing with their customer service with the corvette. They admitted tom e that the corvettte wasn't built to be riden evryday for hours on end.!?! I won't get started on that. So I really don't want to have to deal with battling Customer service if the dirt grinder requires that. I really appreciate any and all input in this matter.

I spotted the razor quad at Toys R US and thought that might be a good idea. Researched it and learned about the dirt grinder. It sounds better. If I buy from Toys R US then I can buy an extended warranty on it since its warranty is not very long. The warranty covers normal wear and tear. Both these sound like they are built way better than the plastic pieces of junk, so is the warranty something to even worry about. Please help me. I hear the dirt grinder is a little smaller. My sons will be 6 and 3 in february. Thanks!

steveb
Journeyman Modder

st augustine
fl
USA

398 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  08:42:34  Show Profile
did you try the search feature yet.if theres anything to be said you'll probably find it that way.but ther are a few people here that recently purchased the dirt grinder.maybe they can help.good luck.

f-150 12volt,ninga quad 18volt
Go to Top of Page

chopper

Illinois
USA

1228 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  08:45:03  Show Profile  Visit chopper's Homepage  Click to see chopper's MSN Messenger address
Check through the reviews forum....might find something in there already. If not someone else might chime in with some experience.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  08:58:50  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I can't comment on long term reliability, we haven't had ours long enough to know. But there are a few things I mentioned in the other thread that I'll mention again...

The frame is a major part of the ATV. It is very well built, welds all look great, seems very heavy duty.

The tires and wheels are just tires and wheels.... typically not a problem area. They are a standard size sold everywhere, so finding replacements in the future is easy. The aluminum wheels are nice, but are relatively expensive to replace, close to $30 a wheel! Hopefully you won't have problems with them.

The motor and electronic controls are the same as, or very similar to, readily available electric scooter parts. www.tncscooters.com has parts that will bolt up, for very cheap. Finding the exact electronic speed control might be an issue, if you care, but others will go in their place, or possibly you could buy a replacement from Mongoose/pacific cycle in the future.

The chain and sprockets are things that can and will wear out. All chains in the world follow some standard, so finding a matching replacement shouldn't be a problem. The chain from the motor to the jackshaft will be the most difficult to find, as it's a double wide chain, but the rear one will be readily available, I believe a simple #25 or #40 chain.

The suspension components seem to be of good quality. And if you have issues with them in the future, I assume they are standard mountain bike parts.

Other possible wear areas look very well built. The tie rods are big and heavy duty looking. I wouldn't worry about them, and if you get enough miles to wear them out, you should be able to find something to substitute in their place.

The batteries are also standard scooter batteries, 12 volt 12 amp hour size, which are available by clicking on the Gruber link at the top of this page. Battery life is typically 2 years and they need to be replaced.... that has nothing to do with who made them. Taking care of them will make them last longer.... charge after EVERY ride, charge once a month when not being used, etc.

Side note: Having 2 sets of batteries, and swapping them when one goes dead, isn't real feesible. It takes a while to change them. The instructions suggest removing 4 bolts to get the handlebars loose, then 6 bolts to get the plastic up, and then you can get at the batteries. I found it easier to push both upwards, turn one and drop it through the bottom, then turn the other and drop it out. Either way, it's NOT a quick change.

As far as actual run time goes... it will vary depending on how it's used more then anything. I don't see any reason for not getting at least the run time they advertise.

Charging time.... I haven't looked at the spec on the charger yet. It depends on how fast of a charger it is, how long it has been run, etc. Even a "fast" charge will take at least twice as long as how long it was run. If it was run an hour, you'll need at least 2 for it to charge. The terms "electric powered" and "all day ride" don't go together. That's why they make gas powered vehicles.

The customer service, the 2 times I called, was very good. I gave them a list of parts that were damaged or lost in shipment, and I had replacements at my door 3 days later.

It is definitely small! My 2.5 year old looks perfect on it, though his skills are still a bit short for running in "high" speed. I'm sure he'll get a couple years out of it, but I'm also sure he'll be on a gas powered fourwheeler long before he is 6. This one is intended to fill the gap, provide some learning, and as a hand-me-down when his 1 year old sister is ready to ride.

Keep in mind, it is HEAVY. Not a great stunt machine (though luderchris's son makes it look easy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOKl92LGh6k)

(Original post: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3130)
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  09:18:36  Show Profile
swhenrik, you aught to post what you said in the review section. copy/ paste, thing. i think it would be helpful.

"free is always better"

beatle
barbie beach patrol
2 Fisher-Price Lil Kawasaki
old ninja super shock
old ninja quad 18v
2 extreme machines 18v
2 gators
yellow hummer
brand new jeepster 800 watts
razor e-300
pukka

and yes this is becoming a problem. wife has threatened divorce.-- she'll come around.

Edited by - gameboy on 10/25/2007 12:24:58
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  09:30:14  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Gameboy,
Do you mean something from this thread?:
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3130

If not, which one are you refering to?
Go to Top of Page

luderchris
Apprentice Modder

50 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  11:35:30  Show Profile
I 2nd everything that Shwenrik said. My son is 4 and loves his Mongoose. It is a bit on the small side -- I will be getting a gas powered ATV within the next year for him and this will go to his brother (2 years younger). I fully expext this Mongoose to hold together for my third son (to be born in February) when he is ready for it. It is well built -- pretty heavy duty. Try to find it on sale on Amazon -- we got it for a little over $200 shipped to our door. For that price it is a bargain. I would have bought it for anything under $300--maybe $350.

And, oh yeah, my son was riding it on 2 wheels and doing tricks within a week or so of getting it. I think that is the advantage of the smaller size -- easier to handle.

Hope this helps

Mongoose Dirt Grinder (24v)
Charger 36v Go Cart
Caterpiller Dump (Big Jake)(12v)
Red Harley (12v--soon to be 18v)
Hummer H2 Adventure (12v)
Bigfoot (18v)
Peg Perego Craftsman Truck (12v)
Peg Perego Desert Challenger(x2)(18v)
Red Jeep

Edited by - luderchris on 10/25/2007 11:36:23
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  12:25:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik

Gameboy,

i was refering to what you said directly above my first post in this thread.

"free is always better"

beatle
barbie beach patrol
2 Fisher-Price Lil Kawasaki
old ninja super shock
old ninja quad 18v
2 extreme machines 18v
2 gators
yellow hummer
brand new jeepster 800 watts
razor e-300
pukka

and yes this is becoming a problem. wife has threatened divorce.-- she'll come around.
Go to Top of Page

luderchris
Apprentice Modder

50 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  14:30:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik

Gameboy,

I think he said to put your post from THIS thread into the reviews section. It is a good review.

Mongoose Dirt Grinder (24v)
Charger Go Cart (36v)
Caterpiller Dump (Big Jake)(12v)
Red Harley (12v--soon to be 18v)
Hummer H2 Adventure (12v)
Bigfoot (18v)
Peg Perego Craftsman Truck (12v)
Peg Perego Desert Challenger(x2)(18v)
Red Jeep
Go to Top of Page

Grant
Senior Modder

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

1820 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  17:47:34  Show Profile  Visit Grant's Homepage
You have me curious as to what happened to the other vehicles? What failed on each of them? What type of use do they see? How are they driven? Etc

At 6 years old you are starting to reach the limits of the PW’s design and construction and prolonged use will likely lead to premature failure.

http://www.youtube.com/GauchoDrift
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  08:24:52  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by luderchris

I think he said to put your post from THIS thread into the reviews section. It is a good review.
I didn't think of that... English is my first language, really, it is

So, I did a "review".
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3390
Luderchris, your info in there would be great also.

Edited by - swhenrik on 10/26/2007 08:25:15
Go to Top of Page

momofdms

2 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  11:56:38  Show Profile
All the vehicles they wear the wheels out in a month. Plastic wheels just are not a good idea. The red corvette had issues with the steering shaft came apart. The wheels wore through (although the yellow vet never did wear through its wheels and we had it almost a year). The gear boxes went out twice. They are very careful to stop in between switching gears yet it went out. The red corvette is now through pacific cycle. The yellow corvette was through Dorel Juvenile group. The battery connector would never stay in the battery. It didn't fit right and would pop out while driving. The corvette would put itself in reverse all by itself, then switch back to forward. The corvette will turn on and make the engine noises, but it wouldn't drive. After a few minutes of being powered down it would work again. It was rather a large headache!
Go to Top of Page

Grant
Senior Modder

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

1820 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  17:17:47  Show Profile  Visit Grant's Homepage
I am impressed, Liam hasn’t been able to wear out any tyres yet. The HRT tyres do show some wear on the rear wheels after 12months of continuos use on cement and pavers.

I Safety first Corvettes look great but there have been quite a few issues with them and the have gone through a number of recalls. I am surprised about the wheels wearing out on them though as they come with soft start. The issue of switching between forward and reverse would certainly case strain on the gearbox and lead to premature failure.

How did you find the jeeps? I have not had any personal experience with however most of the reports on here seem to indicate they are quite sturdy, esp the older style metal frame jeeps.

http://www.youtube.com/GauchoDrift
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: