These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Mongoose Dirt Grinder Sale
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  08:54:43  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I looked at the Dirt Grinder a few times... and pondered ordering one for my kids, though they may not be riding it right away. I looked at it again today, and see that it is marked down from $499.99 to $156.00. I couldn't pass it up, so I ordered one! $77.56 for shipping is a bit steep, but still a good price at $233.56.

http://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Grinder-Electric-Four-Wheeled-Off-Road/dp/B000JNI0SM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0558546-9776621?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1190908344&sr=8-1

Edited by - swhenrik on 10/03/2007 11:14:57

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  10:14:45  Show Profile
Wow, sweet! Can't belive you bought one! Well, I can, but you know what I mean.

I just sent the link to my hubby, as he wants a Razor quad, but got outbid on Ebay.

We got $100 worth of Amazon vouchers to use (we earn them thru our Visa credit card), I get at least usually 1 x $25.00 voucher per month , and we haven't used the ones we got as there's been nothing I've wanted. Even with shipping, if we use all our vouchers, this would only be $130 !!! Dang....if he wants one I'd let him get it!

Scratch that, I just read all the reviews, seems alot of people aren't happy with it!

Colin's Toys: Silver Gaucho, Kawasaki KFX Quad, Sport Tracker Quad, Gator, Perego Polaris 700, Eliminator, Little Tikes Indy Car, Fire Rescue Jeep, Enforcer Jeep, Corvette.

Edited by - colinandmylesmom on 09/27/2007 10:18:21
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  10:50:36  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I told my wife I ordered one... Her reply was: "Only one??? We have 2 kids!"

When you read the reviews, read a little deeper. One gave it one star because it didn't come with the tool kit and flag. Another complained that a switch went out. A little flippin switch! Then read the other reviews of more knowledgeable people bragging about how well the thing actually works. True, when you buy something, you expect it to work, but anyone with any tinkering abilities should be able to handle the little problems just fine. And for that price, something has to be lacking, right? In this case it's customer service.

Either way, I think it's a great starting point. For $60 a person could put all new electronics in it (motor, ESC, twist throttle, etc) from TNC scooters. Tires are standard off the shelf items, they are the same as a lot of wagons. Chains always follow a standard.

There's a few people on here with Dirt Grinders. They have been highly recommended over the Razor Quad, being the Dirt Grinder is equipped so much better. Alero has one.

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2375
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1019
quote:
Originally posted by Alero

Got my son a Mongoose Dirt Grinder when he turned 3 in July. Best decision ever! They are about $100 more than the rest but are built of ALL steel. They are basically a 50cc 4-wheeler but with a scooter motor. See my post about them!

Review by Alero:
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=361

He ended up with 2, was trying to sell a used one for $250.

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1875

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=141
quote:
Originally posted by Alero

Faster top end because Mongoose has a MASSIVE gear reduction. It's got incredible torque and will never bog down. It can hop up a curb from a dead stop.
Also, it has adjustable coil-over shocks on the front and rear. I don't think the razor has much of a suspension.
Does the razor have disc brakes? The mongoose has awesome disc brakes in the rear.
Also, the Mongoose has AMAZING lights and a deent horn built in. It's got a bazillion LED lights in the rear and a few in front and a strobe that put on a show while also keeping your kids visible to cars, trucks, and most commercial aircraft. Seriously, it's like driving Studio 54 at night.

Of course, I think the minimoto quad beats them both...but that's a story for another day. :)

I think the only thing that the razor has an edge on is size. I believe it is a little bigger.

Edited by - swhenrik on 09/27/2007 11:37:17
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  10:54:29  Show Profile
Thanks for the info, you always got the lowdown on stuff!

Colin's Toys: Silver Gaucho, Kawasaki KFX Quad, Sport Tracker Quad, Gator, Perego Polaris 700, Eliminator, Little Tikes Indy Car, Fire Rescue Jeep, Enforcer Jeep, Corvette.
Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  11:49:20  Show Profile
It would be tempting to buy one just to use as the underpinnings in a PW truck.
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  11:58:14  Show Profile
Well, we just ordered one! We had $100 worth of Amazon gift certificates, so it was only $133!! Of course, we'll be hiding it till next August when Colin turns 3, for his birthday present. He's already got a new 50CC gas quad, so this will be a nice transition for a few years till he's ready for that around 5-7 years old.

Now we'll just wait & see if the order gets cancelled, due to them being out of stock or something :(

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  12:42:59  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I'm a little concerned also.... about them running out and not filling my order. As soon as I saw it, I did some quick thinking to get a credit card to charge it to, as I didn't have one on me. My research had all been done months ago. For once in my life, I had to patience to wait for a good deal!

So far my order looks OK.... Order status says "we are preparing these items for shipment." I've got my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

About the gas powered quads.... I'm starting to research those now, as we'll be picking one up in a year or 2. I started riding at 7. I could have started much younger, I also learned to drive a car with a clutch that year. My brother has a Polaris 90 that his kids have pretty much outgrown, so I'm hoping to get that from him. I wish I could have gotten the Mini-Z or XC 120 from him too though!

Edited by - swhenrik on 09/27/2007 12:47:13
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  13:53:08  Show Profile
My brothers & I grew up around quads, I started on a 50CC when I was a kid, probably around 6 or so, and my brothers had trikes, then we graduated to bigger & better as we all grew. Now my father has 2 newer quads, he always likes to have the latest & greatest, which is fine by us, as we get to ride them and not pay the gas , and upkeep! He bought Colin the 50CC quad before he was even born, and I'm sure he'll continue to buy him one as he grows, as it's fun for him to buy that kind of stuff, since he gets in trouble from my mom for buying that stuff for himself!

My order says : Item shipping soon. We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed. so, I'm hoping that means it's been accepted & ready to ship soon. I keep my CC on file with Amazon (and I memorized one of my credit card #'s, which has come in handy a few times!).

Go to Top of Page

greatdane
Expert Modder

Northwest
IN
USA

737 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  20:27:13  Show Profile
How does the size compare between the razor and the mongoose? I have looked at the razor quad at TRU, but have never seen the mongoose in person?

$233.00 is very tempting....
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  13:30:24  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I just got shipping confirmation on mine and a tracking number... woo hoo! Supposed to show up via UPS next Wednesday.
Go to Top of Page

luderchris
Apprentice Modder

50 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  14:02:17  Show Profile
I just ordered one. I went back to look at something a nd saw-

"Only 5 left in stock--order soon."

Just an FYI.

Hummer H2 Adventure
Bigfoot
Older style Quad
Peg Perego Craftsman Truck
Peg Perego Desert Challenger(x2)
Step 2 Tractor Trailer
Red Jeep
Pink Steel Frame Barbie Jeep
Tot Rod
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  14:07:42  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
The MPW forums are gonna be just crawling with Dirt Grinders LOL!! Gonna have to start a "Modified Dirt Grinder" forum?

For anyone who doesn't know, the sister forum, http://modifiedelectricscooters.com/forum/ would probably be the appropriate place to talk about modding these, as they use a lot of scooter parts. Maybe I should have posted this info there instead?
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  15:47:47  Show Profile
WOOHOO! Mine is on the way too...MINE WILL GET HERE TUESDAY!! Hahaha...I get mine before you! Mine is coming via DHL, weird they use different services . Just hope everything comes, and isn't missing parts!

Go to Top of Page

luderchris
Apprentice Modder

50 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  08:30:15  Show Profile
Mine ships out on Monday and will be delivered between 10/4 and 10/8.

Anyone know where they are shipping from???

Hummer H2 Adventure
Bigfoot
Older style Quad
Step 2 Tractor Trailer
Red Jeep
Tot Rod
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  11:27:07  Show Profile
I'm sure there's different warehouses, etc that may have them. My tracking info says it's shipping from Carlisle, PA.

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  06:36:32  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Mine's coming out of PA also... I assume that's why it's taking a day longer to get to me, way up in northern Minnesota.

Interesting about the different shipping services though!
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  10:12:34  Show Profile
Got ours today! Dang, that thing is heavy! It came fully assembled, which is great. Tested some of the features & everything works, everything seems to have arrived safely, no flag pole for the cheap a$$ flag they included, but it looks sorta cheezy anyways, so that doesn't matter. But I must say it does look well built for the price we all got it for, $400+ I don't think so, but $200, for sure!

It's pretty cool though, I found a Boys Mongoose 16" bicycle last week at a yard sale for $7, it's the same colors at this, and has some of the same decals on it.

Thing is small though, smaller than every Power Wheels quad we got, but I'm sure Colin is going to love this next year, now we just have to keep it hidden till next August!

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  11:48:38  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Got yours a day early, on top of it being scheduled a day earlier, huh? Ours is still scheduled for tomorrow, though now it's only 200 miles away or less.

I'm glad to hear it's small, my 2.5 year old can't reach the pedal on most PW or Peg fourwheelers. I'm hoping that I can get him riding this one right away..... key word is "hoping"!!
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  16:40:18  Show Profile
Yeah, I mean the thing is smaller than the current quad Colin is riding, but it'll be another year before he rides it, as he couldn't do the throttle on his KFX Kawasaki to access high gear, so I doubt he could handle the handlebar throttle on this one, plus I need to stick our guns and not give it to him before his birthday! This will be alot of fun going in the snow next year though!

If you get him riding it, MORE POWER TO YA!

Colin's Toys: Silver Gaucho, Sport Tracker Quad, Gator, Eliminator, Little Tikes Indy Car, Fire Rescue Jeep, Police Jeep, Corvette, Mongoose Dirt Grinder.
Go to Top of Page

luderchris
Apprentice Modder

50 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  05:15:04  Show Profile
Did the Dirt Grinder come fully charged or did it need to be charged? If so, how long did it take to charge?

Thanks.

Hummer H2 Adventure
Bigfoot
Older style Quad
Step 2 Tractor Trailer
Red Jeep
Tot Rod
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  07:17:49  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Chris... I'll find out tonight hopefully. Colinsmom is storing it for a while, so she may not know yet. Although she might want to pull the batt's and give them on an occasional charge to make sure they don't "go bad".
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  09:59:48  Show Profile
It was not charged yet, it had a bit of juice, but only enough to move it like a foot and turn the lights on/off. We are going to charge the batteries & test the vehicle before storing it, and of course, charge the batteries over the winter , just like our Power wheels batteries.

Colin's Toys: Silver Gaucho, Sport Tracker Quad, Gator, Eliminator, Little Tikes Indy Car, Fire Rescue Jeep, Police Jeep, Corvette, Mongoose Dirt Grinder.
Go to Top of Page

luderchris
Apprentice Modder

50 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  14:12:06  Show Profile
I got mine today...When you are charging, is the red light on the charger solid and the green light blinking?

It doesn't say anything about the green light blinking in the manual.

Hummer H2 Adventure
Bigfoot
Older style Quad
Step 2 Tractor Trailer
Red Jeep
Tot Rod
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:49:42  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
We got ours last night, but didn't try the charger yet. I pulled the batteries, and dropped in the ones from our Jeep... they are standard 12 volt 12 AH batt's. The batt's from the fourwheeler went on the Schumacher 600a in parallel at 2 amps for the night.

Start with the negatives....

The batt's were not strapped down when it arrived, so there are some dings in the plastic from them bouncing around, the wires were off the batt's, one wire pulled from a connector near the controller, etc. One wheel has a huge chip in it by the bead. One inner tube has a huge hole in it, so big it won't inflate at all connected to the compressor. The speed limiter key doesn't work for crap, and the nut to hold it in place cracked when I tried to tighten it more. Also won't go at all in one of the speeds, not sure which, maybe a couple wires are touching each other? Quite a few loose nuts. The brakes need adjusting. A lot of minor issues... all of which I can handle fixing myself. The suspension is so stiff that my 200+ pound ass won't bottom it out. The fourwheeler is also extremely heavy for it's size. There's a strange delay in the throttle. Throttle seems just a bit hard to turn. The headlight housing is cracked, and tape together for now. The strobe in it is so bright that it's blinding, and if the driver leans forward a little, it can get them in the eyes.

Positives.....

Not quite as long of a list, because there's one thing that sums it up.... I don't think you'll find anything with the bang for the buck this thing offers. Once I chase out a couple bugs, I think it will be a good durable toy for many years, and it works quite well.

I put my 2 year 7 month old son on it, and he fit perfect. Suggested age of 6 an up? Whatever! I hinted where the throttle was, he grabbed it, twisted it, and off he went. I had to tell him a couple times to slow down, and he did, as he's already used to running variable throttles. His hand was slipping a little on the twist grip, but we'll see how that goes with more use.

He looked like a pro on it, did very good driving. I still don't trust his judgement at his age to pay close enough attention to just let him ride, but that will come with time. We got home late, and it was really late by the time I got some of the above issues fixed, so he didn't get much ride time. We'll get him out on the track tonight while it's still daylight.

Overall, I'm really glad we bought it, and it's something he can drive now! Well worth what we paid!!!
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  09:38:53  Show Profile
Wow, I can't believe that many things were wrong with it, I'll have to check all that stuff on ours, to make sure there's not similar problems as we didn't inspect it, just took a quick glance and then had to hide it in the garage.

Only thing I noticed was some screws came out and were laying on the ground, so have to figure out where they go.

Sucker is HEAVY though, glad he's less than 3 and can ride it, gives me hope Colin will be able to ride it on his birthday next year then when he turns 3 :)

I do agree it seems great for it's value, aren't going to find one in any store that cheap, unless you are in the right place at right time after the holiday season or something.

Edited by - colinandmylesmom on 10/04/2007 09:41:44
Go to Top of Page

luderchris
Apprentice Modder

50 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  10:25:57  Show Profile
Did you use the charger yet??????

quote:
Originally posted by colinsmom

Wow, I can't believe that many things were wrong with it, I'll have to check all that stuff on ours, to make sure there's not similar problems as we didn't inspect it, just took a quick glance and then had to hide it in the garage.

Only thing I noticed was some screws came out and were laying on the ground, so have to figure out where they go.

Sucker is HEAVY though, glad he's less than 3 and can ride it, gives me hope Colin will be able to ride it on his birthday next year then when he turns 3 :)

I do agree it seems great for it's value, aren't going to find one in any store that cheap, unless you are in the right place at right time after the holiday season or something.

Hummer H2 Adventure
Bigfoot
Older style Quad
Step 2 Tractor Trailer
Red Jeep
Tot Rod
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  11:47:21  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Now they are listing only 4 left.... but the price changed, it's back up to $299.99!!! Looks like we got in just in time!
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  19:29:12  Show Profile
We charged ours up today without any problems, only problem we noticed too, was the speed limiter key does suck, everything else seemed fine on ours, all gears worked, lights, etc.

And yes, THANKS TO YOU, we got a great deal!! Thank you!

Edited by - colinandmylesmom on 10/04/2007 19:30:42
Go to Top of Page

greatdane
Expert Modder

Northwest
IN
USA

737 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  20:00:20  Show Profile
Been away for awhile traveling for work...well, I too jumped in and against my better judgement bought two also for the kiddos on Sunday. This is the first battery vehicle my garage/kids will have brand new. They arrived arrived on Wednesday, and are in the garage hiding under a tarp.-I have yet to look at them yet-my wife said the UPS driver put them in the garage, but the boxes were busted up. Boy the shipping issues and size comments have me worried that they will be too small though for my kids.

Swhenrik, thanks again for the heads up for the deal-
Go to Top of Page

luderchris
Apprentice Modder

50 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  05:28:52  Show Profile
So far so good for ours. My 4 yo son was on it last night and he loved it. Ours is missing the flag pole, but so far that is the only problem. I am going to go over the whole thing later today to make sure all of the nuts and bolts are tight.

It is kinda small, but I think it is a perfect vehicle for in between PW's and a real gas powered quad.

Hummer H2 Adventure
Bigfoot
Older style Quad
Step 2 Tractor Trailer
Red Jeep
Tot Rod
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  07:13:38  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I found the problem with our leaky tire... they pinched the tube between the halves of the split rim.... and it squaeezes tight enough to pretty much slice through the tube. So, I'll pick up a new tube tonight.

Reading the book last night (after the fact of course!), I see there are supposed to be 2 keys for the ignition, and 2 different keys for the speed selector. I don't have those other keys, so it's no wonder why I have trouble getting it to turn with the ignition key!

I'm planning on a call to cust. serv. at some time, hoping for a new wheel, tube, keys for off/low/high selector, and a flag pole... we'll see how that goes

After telling my wife the price went back up, she said "see, you should have ordered two!" Thanks hun (for rubbing my nose in it!)

Edited by - swhenrik on 10/05/2007 07:14:39
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  17:12:28  Show Profile
That really was a great price, I would not have paid more than $200-250 for it, so the price was just right.

It is a tiny little thing, but for Colin it'll be great, as it will work from age 3-6 or maybe 5, when he can handle the gas powered 50CC quad that's already waiting for him. You think for such a heavy sucker (about killed me and my husband carrying it 100 feet to the garage), that it would have a bigger body.

Really will be nice to have a nice quiet, rubber wheeled vehicle for Colin to ride, especially in the snow next year, cant wait!

I wanna see some video of someone's kids riding it!

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  06:36:44  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Oh, I'd love to GET some video of our son riding it... in fact I just wanna get to see him riding it. Getting home late every night, super busy with a project on Saturday, weather was nasty on Sunday! On of these days.

I picked up the fourwheeler and put it on a table to work on it, twice now, by myself.... probably wasn't the best idea!
Go to Top of Page

luderchris
Apprentice Modder

50 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  18:20:35  Show Profile
Our's is running great (knocks on wood) and my son loves it! It is really the perfect ride-on for an eventual move to a gas quad.

Do you think the motor could handle another 12 volts for a 36v total???

Hummer H2 Adventure
Bigfoot
Older style Quad
Step 2 Tractor Trailer
Red Jeep
Tot Rod
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  07:09:49  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
The motor may very well be fine with 36 volts, but I highly doubt the controller will like it! You could swap in a 36 volt controller cheap enough from TNC scooters, I'm thinking the Dirt Grinder uses a hall effect throttle so it should just plug in. But then you lose all the other features built in to the stock controller, like the built in reverse, high/low key selector, power output to acessories (currently 12v or 24v?), etc, etc, etc. And then adding even more weight with a 3rd battery to an already heavy quad.

I thought at some time in the FAR future, maybe I'd drop in a new higher current controller (and lose the accessories), higher power motor, but leave it 24 volts.

Go to Top of Page

luderchris
Apprentice Modder

50 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  18:09:17  Show Profile
As you can see, my son is getting the hang of the Dirt Grinder !!!!

Check it out--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOKl92LGh6k

Hummer H2 Adventure
Bigfoot
Older style Quad
Step 2 Tractor Trailer
Red Jeep
Tot Rod
Go to Top of Page

FToddW
Apprentice Modder

Kent Island
Maryland
USA

62 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  11:38:31  Show Profile
Looks like its up to $299 plus shipping now...
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  11:29:43  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I called Mongoose on Thursday, listed all the parts that were missing and broken. Monday the FedEx truck showed up with my package... One complete wheel, inner tube, flag pole, key for off/low/high selector, jumper wire for between the 2 batteries, and a complete headlight. I inquired about plastic, ours had a couple dings in it when we got it, but they said they don't send out warranty plastic. I suppose if it was bad enough, I could have shipped the whole fourwheeler back for an exchange, but it's not that bad.

My son has gotten some ride time so far, but not a lot. Been cold and rainy so often! My 1 year old daughter is all upset that she can't drive it yet, but she's been cruising some on the Lil' Quad. So far he prefers driving "off-road", through tall grass, over stumps, etc. It's still locked in low speed for him.

I did notice he seems to have just a bit of trouble with the twist throttle. He hasn't figure out yet to twist his arm way up before grabbing the throttle, so when he's riding his right elbow is WAY down. Seems it actually twists a bit too far, but I think he'll get the hang of it.
Go to Top of Page

mikeh
Journeyman Modder

Chicagoland
Illinois
USA

269 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  18:32:45  Show Profile
Here is one for a good price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mongoose-Dirt-Grinder-ATV-Electric-LIKE-RAZOR-DIRT-QUAD_W0QQitemZ230218243880QQihZ013QQcategoryZ11746QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You're only young once, but you can allways be immature
Go to Top of Page

Bubba
Journeyman Modder

149 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  04:05:25  Show Profile
I think some folks who moved into my hood have one of those things.

it is SMALL and it just does have any power to it at all.

the Kawasaki thing I found running at 24 volts has for more power at take off
the Mongoose is faster on top end with the smaller kids on it but not that much.

It looks as if the Kawa could just run over the little dirt grinder.

The tires are so soft (cheap) they are wear out right before your eyes the knobby front tires will be slick in another few hours of hard riding, the back tires have whole knobby's rip off if the kids lock up the tires with the brakes.

It will not last 6 months

Go to Top of Page

greatdane
Expert Modder

Northwest
IN
USA

737 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  06:49:05  Show Profile
Bubba,

When you say have no power, no, I know these will not pull a wheelie on takeoff due to the hall effect throttle, but beyond that, they have some tremendous torque to climb hills at once ramped up. Speed is ok, but there is always 36 volts in the future.

They are small. Cheap chinese hardware bolts strip easy.
The rear axle is live but no differential-that means the tires wear faster in turns, but gets good traction. Steering setup is well built with adjustments and easy for the kids.

But as a whole, they are much stronger than the typical pw as they have a steel frame, shocks, rubber tires (even if cheap, so are the replacements from harbor freight). I personally am a fan of the jack shaft setup these have-my kids are not ready for more speed as they are just getting a handle on the twist throttle and brake setup so far.
I did have some things break on arrival/shipping (plastic body, lights, and Mongoose/Pacific cycle sent the new replacement parts out right away, no question.

For $230, they were a great deal. For $499, I might have a slightly different opinion.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  07:39:42  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Bubba, if you are comparing a Dirt Grinder to a Plastic Power wheels, then it's not really a Dirt Grinder you are talking about (and the comments don't belong in this thread). It would be like comparing a plastic tote with wheels, to a steel framed go-cart.

The acceleration is slow, too slow in my opinion, but there's enough torque to rip a plastic power wheels right in half! With my 200+ pound rear on the seat, it will still accelerate close to the same as when my 2 year old is on it.

It's a tad smaller then a 12 volt Ninja for example, but it's proportioned perfectly for the rider, at least for small riders.

The tires are real air filled rubber tires, exactly like the harbor freight tires only on some really expensive aluminum wheels, not something you should compare to the plastic tires of a PW. Knobbies wearing off in a couple hours? First of all, they aren't really knobbies like a normal ATV tire. But if that really is happening, it's an off-road vehicle, tell the owners to get it the hell OFF the pavement! The tires are made of a softer rubber compound that gets good grip, not something with long tread life. If they want a road vehicle, they should get a car.

And like greatdane mentioned, these are not anything like a plastic bodied powerwheels.... a full steel frame, which is well built, well designed, and very sturdy. The suspension is real, coil springs over oil filled shocks (more stuff that needs to be taken off-road to be appreciated). A single huge scooter motor, chain driven, etc.

Won't last 6 months? I'd say you'd get approximately 40,000 times the life out of a Dirt Grinder then a PW (my best Engineering guess).

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho

Edited by - swhenrik on 02/04/2008 07:46:07
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  08:46:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik
I did notice he seems to have just a bit of trouble with the twist throttle. He hasn't figure out yet to twist his arm way up before grabbing the throttle, so when he's riding his right elbow is WAY down. Seems it actually twists a bit too far, but I think he'll get the hang of it.

I don't know how old your son is, but if you can teach him how to twist a throttle properly it will go a long way especially if you think he'll ride motorcycles or a twist grip ATV.

Have him ride with his elbows up (this especially helps cornering on a dirt bike) and hold the grips like a tennis racket (on an angle through the palm rather than perpendicular). This way you can still keep your elbow up and just use your wrist to get full range of throttle.

I taught my son the elbows up riding style on his KFX Ninja and he's rode that way his whole life. Now that he's on a dirt bike it's second nature and it's paying off in spades.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  08:59:59  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
My son was 2.5 at the time. He'll be 3 in March, and seemed to do better last time he was on it a month ago. As soon as it warms up a bit (+20 is better then the -20 we've been having) he'll get to ride more.

He will be riding ATV's, which always come with a thumb throttle..... BUT, he has double jointed thumbs like his mom, so I may be converting them over to twist anyway. And I'm sure he'll be on snowmobile soon too, which also come as a thumb throttle, though a different design, and I have yet to see a twist conversion for those.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: