These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Murray electric go kart
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alero
Journeyman Modder

Dallas
TX
USA

259 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  10:01:05  Show Profile
Scored this one along with the Gaucho yesterday. I traded our Razor Ground Force kart for it because my son (who turns 4 tomorrow) is just too young for the Ground Force. He can drive it just great but I was scared to death that if he ever ran it under a car he rip his head off. Also he has a problem swueezing hand brakes.

So I offered the trade and the owner took it. I only paid 50 bucks for the Razor anyway, and the Murray still has an $899 price tag on it! Yikes! (wish I had the $899 to buy a Gaucho SP instead! haha)

The Murray is an all-steel go kart with a 24v electric scooter motor (I'm guessing around 350 watts)and a chain drive with gear reduction system.

It has pneumatic tires and seems well built. The accelerator pedal works exactly like the ones in powerwheels. It is an on/off switch that engages the brake when released. The only differance is that, because it has only one motor, the brake has to be mechanical. It has a tiny band brake on the rear axle that has an incredible amount of stopping power.

It also has resettable switches and a keyed ignition. Nice touches.

It is one-wheel drive but still does very well since the tires are real rubber go kart tires. It burns rubber everytime you start and stop! Good thing those tires are cheap and I already have a few of them in the shed!

It isn't too fast. I'm guessing it goes about 9mph or about the same as an 18v Gaucho. But it has tons of torque!

The only problems with it when I bought it were that it had no charger, the battery was bad, and there was a flat tire.
I put a pair of 12v, 12ah scooter batteries in it and it works great! I had some replacement tubes/tires already and replaced the bad one. I also upgraded the front wheels to a nice pair of 2-piece wheels with bearings instead of bushing.

Here's a pic from the craigslist listing. It is a lot cleaner a nicer looking now!

Lots of fun so far! Of course it will be for sale tomorrow since my son get's his Minimoto Jeepster for his birthday! haha

It's more fun when you can do it for free!

9.86 KBt

Edited by - Alero on 07/24/2007 10:03:57

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  10:45:16  Show Profile
very good find, what did you pay for it.

free is always better

beatle
Fisher-Price Lil Kawasaki
small motor cycle
old ninja super shock
old jeep wrangler 18v
old old fp sports car, broke-needs a gearbox, so if you have one i would like it.
old ninja quad 18v
2extreme machines 18v
gator
yellow goucho
escalade
brand new jeepster 800 watts
razor e-300

and yes this is becoming a problem. wife has threatened divorce.-- she'll come around.
Go to Top of Page

Alero
Journeyman Modder

Dallas
TX
USA

259 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  10:49:05  Show Profile
It was an even swap for our razor Ground Force kart which I paid 50 bucks for about 6 months ago.

Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  11:39:14  Show Profile
wow very goooooooood deal on your part.

free is always better

beatle
small motor cycle
old ninja super shock
old jeep wrangler 18v
old old fp sports car, broke-needs a gearbox, so if you have one i would like it.
old ninja quad 18v
2extreme machines 18v
gator
yellow goucho
escalade
razor e-300

and yes this is becoming a problem. wife has threatened divorce.-- she'll come around.
Go to Top of Page

Alero
Journeyman Modder

Dallas
TX
USA

259 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  11:46:36  Show Profile
Good deal on his part too though because his kid was too old for the Murray and just perfect for the Razor, and because I gave him a charger and a perfect kart and in return I got one that needed work and no charger.
Also, no one knew if there was more wrong with the Murray like a blown motor or something.
I'd say we both got a good deal since both our kids are happy and neither of us spend any real cash. :)

Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  12:39:57  Show Profile
man i agree, that rocks.

free is always better

beatle
small motor cycle
old ninja super shock
old jeep wrangler 18v
old ninja quad 18v
2extreme machines 18v
gator
yellow goucho
escalade
razor e-300

Go to Top of Page

whitfield

Central
Virginia
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  05:09:09  Show Profile  Visit whitfield's Homepage
I picked up one of these Yesterday (Same as in Pic) $5.

I need to chase down a pair of 12 v batteries and a charger.

Any suggestions?

Do the 12 amp hr batteries work out Ok?

How long can you run?

I was looking at 18 amp hr or maybe 33 amp hr.

I am used to running a Honda Civic battery in a Barbie jeep and getting a full dy of riding between charges. I don't expect this to last that long, But a few hrs would be nice.

Thanks,
Michael

More junk then you can shake a dumpter at.
Go to Top of Page

whitfield

Central
Virginia
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  06:02:55  Show Profile  Visit whitfield's Homepage
(2) of these

Locally:

Batteries Plus $62.95 each

Battery Barn $32.95 each

Online:

Grubber power service $23.75 + $14.50 (Shipping) = $38.25

And I need two of them. Any BETTER options ???

Go to Top of Page

Alero
Journeyman Modder

Dallas
TX
USA

259 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  07:13:08  Show Profile
Man I need a bunch of those. My Pukka scooter eeds new batteries and it takes a pair of those.
The Murray came with a 24v, 20ah battery.
It only runs for about half an hour on a pair of 12v 12ah batteries. I'd get the biggest ah battery you can get. With no speed controll, that thing is dunping full power every time the kid hits the gas pedal. It burns a 4 foot skid mark on pavement every time you take off and every time you stop. It looks fantastic but eats battery life FAST!

Go to Top of Page

whitfield

Central
Virginia
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  09:44:39  Show Profile  Visit whitfield's Homepage
In theory ~ A 12 v Car battery would run it at half speed.

The 3600 RPM 24 v motor would turn 1800 RPM.

With some chain and sprocket adjustent / manipulation that could be the cheapest way out. As used car batteries are Cheap / Free, Fit well, and will run nearly all day.

Michael

Go to Top of Page

Alero
Journeyman Modder

Dallas
TX
USA

259 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  13:55:23  Show Profile
I don't let car batteries anywhere near my kids and their toys though. It's not safe.

Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  18:48:02  Show Profile
Whitfield, we take a strong stance against the use of non SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries in our children's ride ons. Please don't think that I am trying to be a jerk though. We just want to make sure that people know the dangers of using an automotive non sealed battery. Plus eventually you will kill the battery due to the fact that they are not meant to have a constant draw on them.

If you want to learn alot about batteries there is a link in the battery FAQs to a place called Battery University.

It's my Little Deuce Coupe...You don't know what I got.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: