These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Bigfoot, 4x4, ESC, video, etc.
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  08:04:33  Show Profile
That's what I am doing with my 4wd project (whenever I get time to work on it). I'm using 266's with 16t gearboxes to help keep speed down when running 24v. I'd even run 15t's if I could find them.

Edited by - swhenrik on 02/13/2008 16:01:30
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  20:06:37  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
We've had this pink "junior" Jeep sitting around for a while. It's immaculate, but not too useful. It gave up it's one and only gearbox a while ago, so it's just been sitting. My Daughter hasn't learned to steer yet, but she loves getting pushed/pulled in it. My son loves pulling trailers... so, I made up a tow bar for the Pink Jeep.

I used a plate left over the the uni-body Jeep front end, slipped it over the steering stem, and re-assembled. A simple hose clamp to hold it tight to the steering stem. Trimmed some plastic from the chassis for clearance. And some bends to make it fit:

Being it's clamped to the steering stem, it "steers" the steering wheel and tires like a wagon handle.

I need to find a way to add a hinge for up and down... right now it has to bend going over the crest of hills or through valleys... which happens a lot on the "doubles" on the track.

Here it is hooked behind the Bigfoot:

I also removed the windshield from the Jeep so my daughter can actually see... it doesn't hinge down, but I'm thinking about adding hinges.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the most important part... the kids LOVE it! My daughter smiles and giggles almost steady. My son seems to be getting better about watching where is going, but he keeps looking back at her with a big grin on his face... I think he likes that she likes it!

Edited by - swhenrik on 11/12/2007 13:54:52
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  20:07:36  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Being the Bigfoot is 4wd, it pulled the Jeep surprisingly well. It only had problems on the biggest of hills, ones that the 2wd Jeep struggles with just as much.

It snowed and then melted, so the ground is pretty soft, making everything roll fairly hard. Combined with the grass, and running on the hilly backyard track, the run time wasn't real impressive. It's running dual 8AH batt's, so essentially 16AH, but only lasted about 30 some minutes. If I continued to run it like this, I may try to trim some plastic under the hood to fit the 12AH batt's in it. I checked under the seat, seems there's lots of room under there, but there's not enough space between the motors for much.

After 30 minutes and almost dead batteries, the rear motors were just barely warm. I could easily leave my hand on them. The front motors weren't at all warm, and none of the wires I checked were at all warm. And I'm running some tiny wires, probably 16 or even 18 gage! This setup is working extremely well.

I'm pondering adding gearboxes to the Jeep, and connect them directly to the Bigfoot wiring (with a plug-in harness), powered by the same ESC. So then it would have 6 out of 8 wheels driving. I think it would make a world of difference for where it "can" go. But the Bigfoot is running Super 6 volt motors on 12 volts, not sure I want to do another set like that on the Jeep. And then the Jeep tires are slightly smaller, it may actually drag the Bigfoot down on flat ground. And will the ESC handle it? I guess I may find out!

Edited by - swhenrik on 11/11/2007 20:17:47
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  22:31:45  Show Profile
that is tooo cool. you have outdone yourself. i think i may have found a new hero.

"free is always better"

beatle
barbie beach patrol
2 Fisher-Price Lil Kawasaki
old ninja super shock
old ninja quad 18v
2 extreme machines 18v
2 gators
yellow hummer
brand new jeepster 800 watts
razor e-300
pukka

and yes this is becoming a problem. wife has threatened divorce.-- she'll come around.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  16:06:58  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
We got a chance to try the Bigfoot in the snow a little this winter. It went surprisingly well considering it has plastic tires and no tractions bands. 2" wasn't a problem, but any more and it would spin a lot and just barely move.

Something ironic..... because the tread is directional, it tends to drive at an angle sideways all the time in the fluffier snow, like a crab.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

ratputin

17 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  09:48:59  Show Profile
First, I am glad your boy is alright. Mine did a backwards "endo" into a pit at the edge of my property and it scared the heck out of me...he stood up, raised his arms and yelled "WOOHOO!" lol. Still was a scary moment or two for Dad, though.

This is a fantastic build! I can't wait to see what you come up with next. I am toying with 4wding a Gator in the spring and this have given me a ton of ideas!

Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  10:41:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ratputin

I am toying with 4wding a Gator in the spring and this have given me a ton of ideas!

Kevin

hey let us know how that turns out. i have thought of that too, but with the front wheels being a different size not to mention they have no way to mount (besides screwing directly into the tire sidewall) the wheel driver to the front tire. not to mention the steering assembly leaves no room for a gearbox.

im not trying to squash your idea, but i have had the same idea and gave up because it would be too hard for me to do.

where would you store the extra batteries? some have just put them in the bed.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  12:45:57  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ratputin

First, I am glad your boy is alright. Mine did a backwards "endo" into a pit at the edge of my property and it scared the heck out of me...he stood up, raised his arms and yelled "WOOHOO!" lol. Still was a scary moment or two for Dad, though.

This is a fantastic build! I can't wait to see what you come up with next. I am toying with 4wding a Gator in the spring and this have given me a ton of ideas!

Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.

Kevin

Thanks, and thanks....

I'm gonna have to agree with Gameboy on the Gator..... Also, isn't there a difference in tire diameter front to back on the gator? If yes, the gearing would be off, and it would probably pull funny. Maybe not as bad as this Bigfoot did when it had super 6 motors in front and 12 volts motors in the back, but it may still be noticeable. I was thinking there was a thread started recently about the idea? If I find it, I'll post a link here.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

n5vab

Plantersville
Texas
USA

25 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  17:47:32  Show Profile
You are the first person that I have run across that made a 2x4 jeep into a 4x4. I did this for my daughter 5 years ago and also built a dual motor winch out of two motors and gearboxes with a wheel cut out into a drum mounted in a cut off piece of a square vinyl fence post. Something else you may think of adding. My daughter is 13 and too big for it now but it is still stored for that RC project one day that I told her I would do with it when she out grew it and she could then drive it RC. These things are so much fun.

Alan-n5vab@yahoo.com
"Big Wheels Keep On Turnin'"
Go to Top of Page

n5vab

Plantersville
Texas
USA

25 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  17:49:35  Show Profile
Almost forgot...I have a bigfoot just like yours that I plan to work on in the near future just like I did the jeep.

Alan-n5vab@yahoo.com
"Big Wheels Keep On Turnin'"
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  13:05:19  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Some more long term updates....

The Bigfoot, with the addition of 4wd and the ESC, is by far my son's favorite! Now that the weather is getting warmer and the snow is almost gone, he's really been putting the miles on it.

There's one spot in our yard where the water runs to and doesn't run off. In the spring, as the snow melts, it runs to this spot, and then refreezes, over and over every day. So the ice is a bunch of thin layers, and breaks easily. My son was going through it, over and over, up to about the axles in water, pushing and running over ice chunks on the way through. Hit it full speed, all 4 tires throwing roosts all the way through, it was just TOO COOL!!! Not only was it amazing what this thing would go through, but it was doing this while pulling the little pink Jeep behind with our daughter in it!

But, I'm wondering if our 8AH batteries are getting weak already (running 2 of them), or if they just don't like putting out the current needed to run the Bigfoot. After only a short time, like 20 minutes, the speeds and torque start falling off pretty seriously. (Keep in mind, he's towing the pink jeep behind with his sister in it most of the time!)

So, I balanced dual 12AH's on it as a test, and it performed a LOT better. So, I got out the dremel and made the "pockets" bigger so the bigger batteries would fit. He ran if for I bet an hour and a half straight, without taking any brakes, and it was still going very strong.

Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  13:59:33  Show Profile
very good, it does sound like the 8ah are getting weak.

i would like to do a 4wd, but i cant justify it with all the flat ground around here.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  15:03:57  Show Profile
I eventually want to make a four wheel drive model so I can take it to the beach with us.

Excellent.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  11:02:45  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by gameboy

i would like to do a 4wd, but i cant justify it with all the flat ground around here.
No hills, rocks, sand, or mud anywhere? What in the world do you do for fun?
quote:
Originally posted by Batteries Included

I eventually want to make a four wheel drive model so I can take it to the beach with us.
That would be a pretty cool place to run one! Might wanna run some big batteries though, or bring some extras. If it's typical fine "beach" sand, it will be very power robbing. Which model are you thinking about doing?

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but I attribute a lot of the off-road abilities of the Bigfoot to it's tires. If the terrain is even a little soft, the big "biters" start grabbing and pull it along very well. The 4wd Dora Quad won't even MOVE in the snow. I'm hoping it will be a lot better on soft terrain in the summer, or it's gonna get the tires filled with metal roofing screws, or get some different tires. The 2wd Jeep has the batteries under the seat, and does quite well in the summer, even though the motors are in series, but it still won't move in the snow.

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  11:05:32  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Also, this is one of the vehicles in the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGPU9-ETVf8

Go to Top of Page

steveb
Journeyman Modder

st augustine
fl
USA

398 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  11:55:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik

Also, this is one of the vehicles in the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGPU9-ETVf8

very cool video.my son would have a blast with a track like that.great job.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  14:34:13  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by steveb

very cool video.my son would have a blast with a track like that.great job.

Thanks. But the track wasn't made for the kids, it was made for the parents We used to race R/C's, so the track was for practice. But it still works for PW's, and in the future I'm sure it'll be great for mini-ATV's. If not, we'll change it again.

Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  16:04:52  Show Profile
I thought it would be cool to make a two seat Jeep with the Bigfoot tires. I have always liked the tread pattern. One thing I thought of before though is the fact that they're not directional. Is there any kind sideways movement due to the fact that the lugs all point the same way?

Excellent.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  07:23:00  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Batteries Included

One thing I thought of before though is the fact that they're not directional. Is there any kind sideways movement due to the fact that the lugs all point the same way?

On the previous page:
quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik

Something ironic..... because the tread is directional, it tends to drive at an angle sideways all the time in the fluffier snow, like a crab.

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  10:52:25  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Another update:

The Bigfoot is still one of my son's favorites. He does prefer the Dirt Grinder over anything else, but it's in need of some chain adjustment, so he came back to driving this.

Riding my fourwheeler (400EX) on the track, I'd lock the front brakes and spin the rears, to dig it up to give my son more of a challenge to drive through. The Dirt Grinder with it's narrow tires would almost get stuck in the loose sand, though the 4x4 Dora Quad would sail right over it. We have gotten quite a bit of rain lately, and the ruts screwed up drainage, so there was also a puddle about 3" deep, on top of the loose sand. That gave him a pretty good challenge for the Bigfoot.

It handled it well, in mud almost up to the gearboxes, spinning all the way through, but it would never actually stop.... until all of sudden only the rear tire on the right side was spinning, the front quit for some reason. He liked that he could shoot roosts up over his head, but it wouldn't go anywhere. I pushed to help him back to the garage. To make a long story semi short, it stripped the plastic pinion on the motor. I grabbed one off a spare, slipped it on, and sent him back out.

My daughter then wanted a ride in the trailer, and he was pulling her through that mud hole. She got bored and got out, and a few minutes later, the same thing happened on the left side. So, back to the garage for another pinion swap.

I have dual 12 volt 12AH batteries crammed under the hood, so the weight might be part of the problem. Though I wouldn't think it would be bad with the 4wd. The run time of well over an hour sure is nice!

The 2 plastic pinions I stole were also from Super 6's. I have 4 more super 6 motors, but they are in the dump truck and the lambo, and I'm not sure if those are plastic or metal pinions. The ones in the rear of the Bigfoot I'm pretty sure are metal, and haven't failed, yet. Though I have heard the gearbox slip a couple times.

So, I need some more metal pinions (Gameboy, did you order any yet?).

Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  11:58:11  Show Profile
quote:
So, I need some more metal pinions (Gameboy, did you order any yet?).

alright, i just ordered 50 pinions. should be here in a week or so..
Go to Top of Page

NTRCOOL

Polo
Illnois
USA

36 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  09:12:14  Show Profile
Hey thats cool. I'll have to get pics and vids up of my daughters 4x4 jeep. I wired hers up as full time four wheel drive. (kept it simple for now)

NTRCOOL
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  14:59:44  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I haven't been on for a while.... figured I'd give some updates.

Last fall my son was running around on the Bigfoot, and it quit. I jumpered the breaker, and it seemed to work. But the wires wouldn't reach to bypass it, so I swapped wires, inadvertently connecting it backward. A little spark and pop, and it wouldn't work. Wired it the correct way, still no go.

Looking on TNC scooters website for months, they never had the 302S9 in stock. Finally this spring I called, and they had some in another warehouse. A week later they called to say they are no longer carrying the Curtis controllers (at least not the 302S9), as the ones they had looked like they were straight out of the dumpster. So, I got a LBD-14 instead.

I went to change out the controller, and found a loose wire. I connected it back up, and it worked fine still. Go figure! So, my son has been putting mile on it again.

It is still amazing what a cool truck it is compared to the typical stock PW. It moves along pretty well, goes through just about anything, and has been fairly reliable (considering the mods done to it). I have a few pinions from Gameboy, but haven't needed one yet.

The biggest problem is that my son is growing, and so is his desire to tow things. Pulling his sister on the "tow-behind Jeep", they are getting too heavy to make it up the hills.

Go to Top of Page

wheres
Journeyman Modder

Cary
NC
USA

475 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2009 :  17:53:06  Show Profile  Send wheres a Yahoo! Message
thanks for the update man, I needed the inspiration I've been lazy on my metal frame 4wd project though I've now got everything I need to finish it except the motivation. I've actually accumulated 4 complete metal frame jeeps so I've got the potential makings of 2 4wd projects if I ever get off my arse and do it. Part of my problem is I can't decide which ones will be the finished jeeps and which ones donate gearboxes. Hope you're doing ok bud!

"where's muh tools..."

92.05 KB

metal frame sahara @ 18V
metal frame safari @ 18V
maroon firebird metal frame wrangler @ 12V (2 pedal)
Baby Baja beetle @12V
Peg Perego Quad w/Gaucho motors and tires @12V
Custom 6WD ARGO/ROVER/TANK
Pink Harley
Black Harley Drag Trike
Extreme Machine - 21Ts 12V
Go to Top of Page

placerman

Citrus Heights
CA
USA

5 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2009 :  09:37:50  Show Profile
Swhenrik, could you wire up your 4wd without the scooter controller and still have push button 4wd? I'm trying to keep it simple but still want push button 4wd.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  14:57:16  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I haven't been on for a while.....

Yes, you can wire it up without a scooter controller, 6 volt, 12 volt, 24 volt, whatever..... and install a switch for 4wd. The switch just has to disconnect power from the motors.

Keep in mind, the disconnected front motors do drag a little. I had my son try it on blacktop with the front motors disconnected, and it wouldn't move if pointed up hill. He sure loved all the spinning though!

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  13:40:15  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
This pic is just too cool to not share..... and before you ask, yes it is a real picture, and yes it is the real Bigfoot!

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  07:57:46  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Now that's a cool picture! And it looks like your Bigfoot's been taking on the course too.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: