These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Another variation on sag-toe fix for Jeeps
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sanman

14 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  23:07:43  Show Profile
Hey, folks. My daughter’s Barbie Jeep fell victim to the dreaded and inevitable front-end sag and toe-out problems recently. I had an idea or two to fix it and also poked around this site and got some good info. The following solution is a sort of hybrid fix and seems to address all the problems and best of all is cheap. It removed virtually all the play and greatly stiffened the front structurally. See what you think.

With the exception of two machined flare bushings, the entire project can be completed using only a Dremel, hack saw, drill and screw driver. I looked high and low in my area for 7/16” bushings but needed to machine them to get the length and thickness I wanted. The basic jest has been done before-sandwiching the wheel mount with metal (in this case 1/16” aluminum that was notched to accommodate the stock plastic and retain rigidity where I could). I secured with 1-1/4” 10-32 screws and drilled out the old wallowed-out plastic steering arm mounts to make way for the 3/8”-thick steel flare bushings that span both the top and bottom plates. The stock stabilizer bar had play also so I pitched it in favor of a slightly thicker bar that was beefed from end to end with L-angle. The holes in the bar are about1/4” narrower than stock. I had to notch the white plastic pivot mounts 1/16” or so to compensate for the thickened bar. This mod corrected the toe and camber problems immediately and has already survived one crash into a utility trailer. I would have preferred to go with all steel but this is what I had in my garage. The whole thing cost me $12 (machining the bushings). It's not the prettiest but the machine shop I personally use is temporarily down so this is done strickly with basic tools.

Hope this helps someone else down the line. Let me know if I lost you anywhere.

Cheers,

Joel

31.28 KB

32.18 KB

30.02 KB

30.14 KB

rb_in_va
Apprentice Modder

Hampton
Va

51 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  04:07:41  Show Profile
Wow, this makes me really want to get that little lathe I saw on Craigslist the other day! And I still have tons of lathe cutting tools too!

-------------------------
Copper Jeep Wrangler
Cruisin Tunes Barbie Jeep
Lil Sunjammer Jeep
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  07:36:13  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
This is a good looking fix. Do you have any more info on those bushings?

Also, you mind if I link to this in the FAQ's?

Edited by - swhenrik on 06/25/2007 07:36:38
Go to Top of Page

rb_in_va
Apprentice Modder

Hampton
Va

51 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  08:00:24  Show Profile
sanman,
Did you machine those bushings yourself?

Copper Jeep Wrangler
Lil Sunjammer Jeep
Go to Top of Page

Alero
Journeyman Modder

Dallas
TX
USA

259 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  08:19:17  Show Profile
Wow that's nice!

Now I feel really lazy for just bending the axles to be obtuse. But I'll share my solution anyway...

Our extreme machine had that problem really bad. When I took it apart, I couldn't really see any oval shape in the steering. So I figured the rods were just bent.

I used my daughter's school protractor to figure out how many degrees each wheel was leaning. Then I took out the axle rods and bent them obtuse using 2 lengths of black pipe as levers. I checked with the protractor to make sure I got the angles correct and put it all back together.

Not nearly as good of a solution as the one above, but if you're feeling lazy it works great.

It's more fun when you can do it for free!
Go to Top of Page

sanman

14 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  22:52:03  Show Profile

18.17 KB

Sorry-been away for a while. Glad to see you like it. The first couple times I tried the previously posted method of bending the spindles. I later realized that in my case no mater how much I bent them, I would still have an oversized lower hole in the wheel mount that would never go away. It’s not my day job but I do have a fair amount of machining background with lathes, vertical mills and such. The challenge is doing work without those tools once you’ve used them. It’s a bit like going back to 8-tracks after CDs. I had to contract out these bushings because the shop I usually use is being reorganized. Above is a close representation of what I had made, though, the scale may not be dead on since I used PowerPoint to draw them. I believe the figures are exact, however.

Take care,

JS
Go to Top of Page

rb_in_va
Apprentice Modder

Hampton
Va

51 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  10:21:42  Show Profile
There must be a mistake with your drawing. I think the 3/8" measurement must really be 3/16". In any case 3/8 + 3/8 + 7/16 = 1 3/16".

Copper Jeep Wrangler
Lil Sunjammer Jeep
Go to Top of Page

sanman

14 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  16:12:02  Show Profile
RB,

You’re right, it is 3/16. Thick enough to eliminate that part as a weak link in the chain of front-end problems us Jeep owners typically see. Maybe she will break something again but not that part.

JS
Go to Top of Page

rb_in_va
Apprentice Modder

Hampton
Va

51 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  06:38:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sanman

RB,

You’re right, it is 3/16. Thick enough to eliminate that part as a weak link in the chain of front-end problems us Jeep owners typically see. Maybe she will break something again but not that part.

JS

No worries. Lot's of professional machinists have scrapped tons of metal with the same mistake! I've scrapped my share as well.

Copper Jeep Wrangler
Lil Sunjammer Jeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: