These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Lil' Quad Steering Mod
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  13:34:22  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Well, I finally got some pics of the Lil' Quad steering modifications.

At the top of the stock steering stem is what looks like a washer formed into the end. The handlebars squeeze against this to turn the stem. But it's so narrow that it's impossible to prevent flex between it and the handlebars, no matter how tight the screws are. I started with two 1/4" bolts.

The head of the bolt welded to the side of the stock steering stem, one on each side. Then a washer between 2 nuts near the end. A couple wraps of electrical tape around the washer and it was quite tight in the housing. And a little plastic trimming to clear the bolt heads.

Edited by - swhenrik on 06/25/2007 09:26:21

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  13:38:11  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Next order of business... the leverage is ALL WRONG, the wheels turn more then the handlebars, making it hard to control. Plus the steering arms are so short, that a very slight amount of slop results in a lot of slop in the steering system. So... I welded steel plates in place of the plastic blocks. Their position works fine for holding the wheels where they need to be, but I had to add nuts on the "L" brackets to hold them from slipping in too far.

Also shown is a thin flat plate, with holes drilled for the steering "L"s to go through, to reduce flex. I don't think it did much, but it's made and on there, so it will stay.

Edited by - swhenrik on 06/16/2007 13:54:57
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  13:40:25  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I was lazy and re-used the stock tie-rod... The longer arms repositions the tie rod back further, so I had to put a bend in the steering stem.

66.18 KB
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  13:43:52  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
The steering stem being back further, meant it barely engaged the stock slot for it, especially when turning sharp. So, a new metal plate with a slot in it, bolted on to the front end. This also eliminated more slop.

78.31 KB

Also..... no more cap nut on top of the steering "L" at the wheels..... it's cross drilled and pinned to come apart easier.

Edited by - swhenrik on 06/16/2007 14:02:47
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  13:46:12  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Now that the wheels and handlebars turn the same amount, in order to keep the stock steering radius, or make it turn sharper, I needed to trim the stops. Rather then enlarging the area on the chassis, I just cut the stop off the stem, and filed smooth.

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  13:50:55  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
All assembled...

79.95 KB

Not shown is the single screw through the yellow into the blue to hold the front end from falling off.

Edited by - swhenrik on 06/16/2007 14:02:03
Go to Top of Page

Superstreaker007

Bay City
Michigan
USA

7 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  12:29:31  Show Profile
Thats a good solution. I was thinking about doing something similar. I just added a 12v battery to mine. Wakes it up a bit, but with more speed, the kids have a harder time with the bump steering. I was thinking about a drag bar, but that may be too difficult. I am going to have to try this. Thanks for the pics.

PW Jeep Wrangler-18v
PW Ninja Quad-18v
Lil Tikes quad-6v
Lil Tikes quad-12v
Peg Perego Magnum-12v being modified
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  19:16:28  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I just added 12 volts to mine this weekend. I was expecting it to be too fast for the stability of it, or my sons abilities. Surprisingly, it was fine. Stock it would puke climbing hills and get stuck on a pine cone... on 12 volts he could bounce it over stumps if he wanted to. My son loved it, and spent a lot of time driving it. His favorite thing was weaving through the trees and other tight places.

But.... I don't think I would have done the 12 volts with the stock steering setup.

Edited by - swhenrik on 06/24/2007 19:18:23
Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  14:45:24  Show Profile
Cool stuff I have this quad and the steering and the power need help. I don't know how to weld so I will have to find a different option. A 12V battery I thought might be to fast but you know it just might be what the "doctor ordered" The 6V at full charge seems to slow but I don't want it to be to fast.

"Time to take a ride on the information superhighway."
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  14:49:00  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sdubb

Cool stuff I have this quad and the steering and the power need help. I don't know how to weld so I will have to find a different option.

I'm not a welder either, but I've found a lot of times, if there is room, you can get away with nuts and bolts for holding stuff together. All you have to do is drill the holes and cut the metal then.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: