These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Lil Wrangler gone GREEN *Need Wheel Ideas 4 Lift*
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Deere Green

7 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  08:43:26  Show Profile
Well this is the first PW Mod challange that I took. It was a $25 purchase off Craigslist for a christmas gift for my godson.

My Boy testing it out for his pal when we first picked it up!

55.71 KB

We had BIG plans to do our first build together and got started right away. Needless to say as may of you have mentioned I didn't find this site untill after we started.

My boy tearing down his first truck!!!!

53.21 KB

We got everything tore down cleaned up and primed before I read that you need to use a special primer on the PW plastic. The undercoating held great but I had to strip everything down again and sand it all so I could use the Fusion pait.

39.52 KB

48.75 KB

58.32 KB

62.01 KB

First Coat of Fusion Paint, this stuff is awesome.

46.97 KB

Second coat and then we taped it off to do a little two tone work.

48.78 KB

50.73 KB

40.07 KB

He is already working under the hood. "Dad this thing needs some REAL POWER"

49.07 KB

Final Product

50.04 KB

49.48 KB

My godson enjoying his gift. I think his dad was more impressed then he was at this point.

48.2 KB

And the little man will always be spreading the word in style from now on!

52.35 KB

Where can I find some cheap PW wheels? I started on a lift for this thing buy the tires are just to small and look funny under there so that part of the build is on hold until I can figure something out that will look good (sorry not good but great). I was always told, "If you are going to do something do it in excess or don't do it at all!"

Edited by - Deere Green on 12/20/2010 10:24:50

Deere Green

7 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  10:04:22  Show Profile
Has anyone made tires for these things? Or have any ideas how to?

What PW has the largest stock tires?
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  10:05:16  Show Profile
Nice job - especially without our help!

Next up, the 2wd conversion, so it doesn't just spin one tire on rough ground! Adding a second gearbox to a Lil Jeep is pretty simple.
Here's Taz11's very detailed thread
And my Lil Jeep has gone in stages to 2wd 6v (didn't get stuck anymore) to 12v (kept up with the big Jeep) to 12v Super6 (7 MPH, blows away the neighbor's kids)

quote:
Originally posted by Deere Green
Where can I find some cheap PW wheels? I started on a lift for this thing buy the tires are just to small and look funny under there so that part of the build is on hold until I can figure something out that will look good (sorry not good but great). I was always told, "If you are going to do something do it in excess or don't do it at all!"

Hootie usually has the wheels, or you can post a WTB (Want To Buy) in the For Sale thread. But you might want to get some 3B gearboxes instead of 3A with the bigger tires - they're a little slower, but have more torque, which work better with the bigger tires.

But I do have one question...
quote:

And the little man will always be spreading the word in style from now on!

52.35 KB

What does that mean? I can't read the writing on the Jeep in the picture.

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

Deere Green

7 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  10:19:00  Show Profile
"show me your ways o lord, teach me your path" (Psalm 25:4)

Bible verse for my godson, he will be trail blazn' before long and just want him to always have a good head on his sholders. He's a good kid and I want to make sure it stays that way. Thought if I get him intrested in something like this it would be fun for future projects together and good way to make sure he stays grounded.

Kids these days, I tell you what. Maybe when we get the lift on we can figure a way to run the problem neighbor kids down with the Wrangler! lol, well at least this way they will be drooling.
Go to Top of Page

MonkeyDad

40 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  12:26:10  Show Profile
Love the outcome of it.

Great touch on the back too. ;)
Go to Top of Page

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  12:53:05  Show Profile
Wow nice looking jeep. Excellent job on the paint job.

Love the verse!

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  12:59:58  Show Profile
that is a great mod. You did awesome love the JD colors and the bible verse.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

Deere Green

7 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  07:26:58  Show Profile
so I am taking it that no one has tried to make a set of oversized tires for these things.

I was thinking of using old tech to try this out. Make a wagon wheel so to speak out of PVC pipe and a 5 gal bucket by cutting a 2" or so strip from the bucket and using the PVC as the spokes. Epoxy this all together, let it set up and then using some expandable foam that can be sanded and is paintable, fill the voids and make the tire as wide as I want. Then coat the thing with bead liner material.

Anyone see huge hurdles that would need to be overcome to do this other than the gearbox link to the wheel?
Go to Top of Page

B.A.R.K.

Laf
LA
USA

18 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  08:54:41  Show Profile
In theory I think your idea can work. The execution of it is another thing.
Sounds like quite a bit of work x4 (+). If you want a larger wheel, I would start with a black 10" like the one linked above. If you want a custom size, you can start hacking up on of those tires as a starting point and maybe a mock up for reference. I would resort to the custom PVC/foam/bedliner tire last. But that is just me.

Conversion: Barbie Jeep to Rock Crawler Jr.
Blitz Hot Wheels Jeep
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  19:27:56  Show Profile
ACtually there is a lifted version of the 6v jeep its a Firerock. They use a tire about the size of standard 2 seater. but they have lifted pedestals that the front steering mounts to and the rear of the tub is different also. Check out some of TAz's mods he has lifted and dropped all kids of stuff. You will get some good ideas.

Go to Top of Page

haus

st.catharines
Ontario
Canada

38 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  20:07:39  Show Profile
I didnt make custom oversized wheels, but i borrowed some off an old bigfoot.

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19774
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  22:24:47  Show Profile
haus - I never saw those wheels on a jeep before. That looks awesome.

Go to Top of Page

Deere Green

7 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  07:37:44  Show Profile
The Big Foot tires would be an awesome addition with about a 4-6" lift. You thought about putting a snow plow on that thing with the bike tires to the back for grip?
Go to Top of Page

haus

st.catharines
Ontario
Canada

38 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  12:04:39  Show Profile
no plow for this one. my little guy is getting too big for this jeep, so im now focusing my attention on an old gaucho. the lil jeep is going to be cobwebbed for awhile untill my lil girl is big enough to drive (shes only a week old).
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  12:18:57  Show Profile
Congrats on the lil one Haus.

Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  12:25:23  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by haus

no plow for this one. my little guy is getting too big for this jeep, so im now focusing my attention on an old gaucho. the lil jeep is going to be cobwebbed for awhile untill my lil girl is big enough to drive (shes only a week old).

Yeah, congrats on your daughter. She is an early Christmas present.

Chris Hozian

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness." ~The New Era, August 1989, pages 4-5.

12V PW Lightning McQueen @ 18V :: 12V PW Red Harley-Davidson Motorcycle @ 18V :: 12V Peg Jeep Apache @ 18V :: Super 6 PW CAT Tough Loader @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Firerock Jeep Wrangler @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Ford F-150 @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Get Set Go-Kart @ 12V :: 6V Rand Spider-Man Lil Quad @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Lil Quad (Sold) :: 12V Dumar Yamaha Raptor 660R Quad :: Super 6 PW Barbie Trail Rider Quad :: 12V Yellow Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V Green Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V PW Classic Chrome Harley-Davidson Motorcycle (Sold) :: 12V Little Tikes Hummer H2 (Sold) :: 12V PW Ford Mustang :: 12V PW Chevy Silverado 1500 (Traded) :: 12V PW Barbie Cruisin' Tunes Jeep :: 6V PW Barbie Blitz Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep :: 6V PW Hot Wheels Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep (Sold)
Go to Top of Page

haus

st.catharines
Ontario
Canada

38 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  13:44:27  Show Profile
thanks, and shes not a christmas present, she's my birthday present, a week overdue, and same day as my birthday.
Go to Top of Page

Deere Green

7 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  15:12:48  Show Profile
congrats on the little one, they are so much fun. sounds like your boy needs a trailer to pull a corvette or lambo around for his little sister! give her a few months and she will be ready for her first PW driving lesson.

i am currently working on ideas for a plow to put on a 4wheel drive jeep or silverado and trying to figure out a way to make a body mold for a rat rod!

you could say i am hooked on the PW mod thing now.

My godson's dad came by a couple nights ago and told me our local John Deere dealer wants him to bring the JD PW by so they can put it on display until the spring when my godson will be able to get outside and learn to drive it.

Just finished the 72' Deere 726 Blower today over lunch.

Before

27.07 KB

And After

56.4 KB

you gotta love the Deere.

What type of Motors do you guys suggest for a PW upgrade? is there a spec for size, rmp that type of stuff? don't understand to much about electric motors just yet.

why do you need the controller that some guys are talking about when they upgrade the motor? how much does something like that cost?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: