These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Introductions
 New PW Dad in Orlando
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bstaneland

Orlando
FL
USA

2 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  13:46:10  Show Profile
Hey guys (and maybe some gals too),

I just picked up my family's first ever PW through the almighty craigslist. It is the black Cadillac Escalade EXT w/ the purple speakerbox. Only paid $90. I say "only" because the previous Dad kept this sucker in mint condition. Every sticker is like new, all of the body is like new (except the hood has a couple light scratches that I can probably buff out), the interior doesn't even look like it has been sat in, the tires and wheels are in excellent condition and everything clicks & clips together just like it was new. The best part is the high gear screw was still installed (doesn't appear to be a put back) and the battery appears to hold a full charge. When buying a used mechanical anything and the previous owner tells you all about how he kept the battery stored in such a manner, how he charged it in a well-ventilated area, etc it is a pretty good bet that you're buying something that still has a lot of life left.

Because I want my son to have the best experience possible with his new "toy" I am in the process of running down the battery (i.e. rear is jacked up and the pedal is depressed) so that way I can give it a new full charge. Funny thing is that I've been running the truck like this for 5 hours now and it is not showing any signs of expiring any time soon. I know that an electric motor without resistance is most efficient, but I am surprised, and very pleased, that the battery still has this much of a charge.

Sorry for the long-winded first post, but as you can probably tell I'm pretty stoked about this find (& about finding this site too ). I'll attach some pics after my son gets his hands on it as it is still in "hiding" for now.

Cheers!

Black Cadillac Escalade EXT (speakerbox) - my family's first PW

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  13:52:11  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by bstaneland

Hey guys (and maybe some gals too),

I just picked up my family's first ever PW through the almighty craigslist. It is the black Cadillac Escalade EXT w/ the purple speakerbox. Only paid $90. I say "only" because the previous Dad kept this sucker in mint condition. Every sticker is like new, all of the body is like new (except the hood has a couple light scratches that I can probably buff out), the interior doesn't even look like it has been sat in, the tires and wheels are in excellent condition and everything clicks & clips together just like it was new. The best part is the high gear screw was still installed (doesn't appear to be a put back) and the battery appears to hold a full charge. When buying a used mechanical anything and the previous owner tells you all about how he kept the battery stored in such a manner, how he charged it in a well-ventilated area, etc it is a pretty good bet that you're buying something that still has a lot of life left.

Because I want my son to have the best experience possible with his new "toy" I am in the process of running down the battery (i.e. rear is jacked up and the pedal is depressed) so that way I can give it a new full charge. Funny thing is that I've been running the truck like this for 5 hours now and it is not showing any signs of expiring any time soon. I know that an electric motor without resistance is most efficient, but I am surprised, and very pleased, that the battery still has this much of a charge.

Sorry for the long-winded first post, but as you can probably tell I'm pretty stoked about this find (& about finding this site too ). I'll attach some pics after my son gets his hands on it as it is still in "hiding" for now.

Cheers!

The battery has probably lasted that long because there is very little load on it. Once you put the wheels on the ground and add some weight to the inside of the vehicle, that should change drastically.

I recommend not running the battery down below 12V. Also, I'm not sure that there is any benefit in cycling lead acid batteries.

Chris Hozian

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness." ~The New Era, August 1989, pages 4-5.

12V PW Lightning McQueen @ 18V :: 12V PW Red Harley-Davidson Motorcycle @ 18V :: 12V Peg Jeep Apache @ 18V :: Super 6 PW CAT Tough Loader @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Firerock Jeep Wrangler @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Ford F-150 @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Get Set Go-Kart @ 12V :: 6V Rand Spider-Man Lil Quad @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Lil Quad (Sold) :: 12V Dumar Yamaha Raptor 660R Quad :: Super 6 PW Barbie Trail Rider Quad :: 12V Yellow Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V Green Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V PW Classic Chrome Harley-Davidson Motorcycle (Sold) :: 12V Little Tikes Hummer H2 (Sold) :: 12V PW Ford Mustang :: 12V PW Chevy Silverado 1500 (Traded) :: 12V PW Barbie Cruisin' Tunes Jeep :: 6V PW Barbie Blitz Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep :: 6V PW Hot Wheels Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep (Sold)
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  14:14:30  Show Profile
Sounds like you got a nice find. Welcome to the site.

First be very careful on that black plastic. Trying to do anything to remove scratches on the black often makes it worse thane before. Test your buffing solution on a hidden spot under the hood or someplace before trying on the hood.

As for running the battery down. I wouldn't worry about doing that either to cycle it. Just toss it on the charger and filler up and let your little one drive it when its time. Do you have a automotive battery charger for your garage? If you have a smart charger its very possible you can use that and it will be better for the battery than the stock pw charger.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

bstaneland

Orlando
FL
USA

2 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  09:24:45  Show Profile
Don't you just love noobs? Oh boy, don't I feel smart now - of course it's a lead acid battery. Had I read the manual and not just skimmed it I would have noticed that obvious information. Thanks guys for pointing that out. I had just assumed it was NiCd.

blake711, you make an important suggestion with testing out the plastic on the underside first. Thanks.

Cheers!

Black Cadillac Escalade EXT (speakerbox) - my family's first PW
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: