These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Motors/Gearing/Drivetrain
 Swap out 13T gears with others?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nikg
Journeyman Modder

NC

490 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  23:57:26  Show Profile
Couldn't find the answer to this one in the other threads.
I know the 15-21 tooth #7 gearboxes have gears that can all be swapped if one breaks, or so says the definitive gearbox thread.
How about a 13T box like in the Hurricane? Are the gears in those different than the other #7 boxes?
If so, then can 16T's be used in the Hurricane without too much stress on the boxes and electrical system?
Thanks

"Modding--less expensive than drinking, and you won't lose your family because of it." (Well, the kids anyway)

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  09:23:38  Show Profile
The gear sets inside most of the #7 gearboxes are functionally the same.

So you should be able to swap out internal gears as needed.

BUT - the newer Hurricane's have a new 13R gearbox that's supposed to be stronger, and isn't as compatable.

Running 16T gearboxes will give you a nice 25% boost in top speed on pavement, but you'll have a loss of torque off-road, and likely blow out a gear

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  09:44:16  Show Profile
Divinar don't the Hurricanes use a 1/2 rear axle instead of 7/16 requiring a larger hole in the main drive gear? I thought I read hootie say that before.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  10:45:16  Show Profile
The monster traction 2 seater ride ons all have the 1/2 rear axle.

Go to Top of Page

hootienchyna
Advanced Modder

Ronkonkoma
New York 11779

2590 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  14:11:52  Show Profile  Visit hootienchyna's Homepage
yes the hurricane has a larger axle

visit www.mltoyz.com for used parts
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  14:16:45  Show Profile
Can you successfully drill out the axel hole on other gearboxes? I know I did it for my Screamin demon pw gearbox swap and have had no issues.

Go to Top of Page

nikg
Journeyman Modder

NC

490 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  20:33:54  Show Profile
So if I have this right, any of the gears except the final driver can be swapped out from any other #7 box. If it is the final gear, then drilling out the center to create a 1/2" passage for the axle is an acceptable fix and the gears can be used from other boxes.

Divinar said the 13R boxes are not "as compatable". I'm not really sure what that means...do they swap and just not fit quite the same? Need to modify the box or new gear in some way? I guess I just need to know what exactly makes the 13R box different and can I use other #7 gears in a 13R box successfully.

Thanks all.

"Modding--less expensive than drinking, and you won't lose your family because of it." (Well, the kids anyway)
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  21:28:29  Show Profile
Unless you have a newer jeep its probably not a 7r. Nothing is interchangeable between newer 7r and older 7 gb as I understand it they have changed the pitch in the newer ones.

The final gear should be swapable with other #7 gearboxes. You can't swap the first gear that mates to the motor with anything other than the same amount of teeth. Otherwise you will strip that gear since the mesh is set by the motor screw holes in the gearbox itself.

So yes you should be able to use a final gear out of another gearbox and drill it out to fit over the axle.

Go to Top of Page

nikg
Journeyman Modder

NC

490 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  21:33:08  Show Profile
Blake, when you say the first gear that mates to the motor you mean the metal pinion gear on the motor itself, right? (Not the first plastic gear in the gearbox)

Thanks for the help

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  07:51:34  Show Profile
sorry - you are correct I meant the pinon. The pitch is the same on all the older #7 gearboxes but the pinion gear is what changes between gb to speed up or slow down the gearbox. If you swap a 13t into a 15t the gear mesh will be to loose or to tight depending which way you go and ruin the first plastic gear that the metal pinon engages with.

read over the GB Faq and it will probably make more sense.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2206

Go to Top of Page

hootienchyna
Advanced Modder

Ronkonkoma
New York 11779

2590 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  10:00:00  Show Profile  Visit hootienchyna's Homepage
the large drive gear in the 13t is a 38 tooth gear. most of the #7 gearboxes use a 54 tooth. so its not a direct swap

visit www.mltoyz.com for used parts
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  13:41:30  Show Profile
thanks for the calarification hootie. WE need to get the info you have on the New 7Rs and the hurrican gb in the new FAQ when it goes up on the other site.

Go to Top of Page

nikg
Journeyman Modder

NC

490 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  22:38:46  Show Profile
Thanks guys.

Could one reasonably take the entire gear set out of another #7 gearbox(a 16T for instance) and use them in the 13T box? Is there a reason for the 38 tooth gear as opposed to the 54 tooth for the last gear? I know that the combination of all the gears should yield the same end ratio whether it is 38 or 54 (right?), so why the difference? I'm thinking it has to do with the torque or stresses within the gearbox for the larger diameter wheels, but maybe that is not the case.

If I were to use 16T boxes, wold they blow out all the quicker? Supposedly the Hurricane has a bad reputation of eating gearboxes, so I'm assuming switching to 16's might make this worse.

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  06:27:02  Show Profile
no the pinion gear or motor gear will be in the wrong place if you put 16t set in a 13t set.

Edited by - blake711 on 12/26/2010 06:27:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: