These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Project: Ultimate Gaucho
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  21:02:26  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I decided it's time to build a better vehicle for the kids to drive. My son is 5 1/2, and somewhat outgrowing everything in the fleet. The 4x4 Bigfoot is not pulling him around too well anymore. The gas powered 50cc fourwheeler we bought him is not his style, he prefers more of a rock-crawler approach, or mudding, over going fast and jumping, though he has does drive it pretty well. He also loves pulling trailers around, and him and my daughter like pulling each other around on sleds (currently using the Dora Quad for this).

I have been pondering on ordering four of the Gaucho SP gearboxes, the ones with the HUGE motors, and fitting them to a PW Jeep, rubber tires, etc. But.... If I just started with a Gaucho SP, I'd get a bigger chassis, rack and pinion steering, and two of those huge motors. Maybe see how the new rubber covered wheels work, and go from there.

So... I forked out the Money on a Gaucho SP, got the "Mega-Pack" from Kidswheels to get the extra battery, and ordered 2 more gearboxes to make it a 4wd. Figured I'd do one of my infamous high voltage setups with motors in series, start at 48 volts for stock speeds (24 volt motors in series), then jump to 60 volts later (giving 30 volts to the 24 volt motors).

The Gaucho shows up tonight, the kids got to help assemble it, sat in it a bit, and I started digging in to it. Kinda sad tearing into a $850 Jeep before it even gets driven the first time!

The first thing I do, open up the rear end to get a closer look at the motors.... and I find this:

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho

Edited by - swhenrik on 12/16/2010 21:18:35

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  21:15:06  Show Profile
Yup we had been talking about that in a couple other threads how it looked like the new ones have 700 motors with grande gearboxes. You just confirmed it. This thread http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21649#138058

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability

Edited by - blake711 on 12/16/2010 21:18:34
Go to Top of Page

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  21:22:03  Show Profile
Hey Shawn can you show us what the rear wheel drivers look like on the wheel and gearbox whenever you get a chance? Did your gaucho body arrive without any major scuffs or scratches?

By the way that black gaucho sure is an eye catcher.

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  21:30:01  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I was wondering if there was some info on here about this already, and I'd wish I had just looked. So, I can kick myself for that one!

At first I thought the motors looked bigger then 700 series, but I measured them, they do seem to be standard 700 series. What is so "Super" about that?

So.... now what? I'm stuck with this set of mis-matched gearboxes. Send the whole damn jeep back to Kidswheels (if they'd even take it back)? And start with what for a chassis? Call Peg Perego.... and get what for an end result? I doubt they'll send me a set of the real SP gearboxes, out of the goodness of their hearts, just cuz they changed them and didn't let us know. Or dump some more money into it, and order 2 more of the real SP gearboxes? Anyone want to buy a set of brand new 700 series gearboxes?

There's no way the real SP gearboxes will fit in this rear tub either.... not that it matters a whole lot to me when I plan on hacking it up to add better suspension anyway. But I'm surprised they didn't keep the molding to hold the bigger motors, like the RZR had.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  21:35:11  Show Profile
Your new super has the same gearboxes and the 700 motors like the rzr comes with. The rzr has never had the big original super power gearboxes and motors.

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  21:41:49  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Once I dig into this thing further.... assuming I still do this project.... I'll get lots of pics on everything. But I don't want to pull it apart in case I end up sending it back.

The wheel side of the drivers look like a 5 bolt hub for a car or trailer, with the 5 studs sticking out. The wheels have 5 holes in the back that these pins/studs slide into. I supposed you want to know how the gearbox engages the driver though? I can't tell with it together. I'll need to know also, because I will need to adapt the real SP gearboxes to these wheels. Looks like the front and rear wheels are the same as each other anyway.

I'm not all that impressed with these tires/wheels either. Sure, they have rubber over them, but like mentioned in the other thread(s), they are not that soft. The rubber is about 1/4" to 3/8" thick, with plastic right under the rubber.... essentially just rubber stretched over a plastic wheel. The wheel is also hollow on the back side, with a large lip almost a full 2" deep that can collect rocks/dirt/mud/snow, with no way out except to go back toward the axle.

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  21:54:55  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I didn't think these gearboxes looked like the 800 twin/RZR gearboxes at first.... but there's a fair amount of the gearbox buried into the black plastic that you can't see, so maybe it is.

Sorry for the confusion, I know the RZR never came with the SP gearboxes, but someone on here had taken a RZR, and fit SP gearboxes into it, because the plastic molding looked like it was actually meant for the bigger motor. And it fit like a glove. I forget who though.

Oh yeah... the condition of mine.... even though it's seen multiple carries, and spent the last 2 days being hauled around on a 53' trailer, and there was a hole in the box big enough to stick my hand through.... it was still very nice looking. Definitely a sharp unit! Especially without all the stickers that it comes with like it shows on all the pictures. There are a couple minor scuffs, but not bad. Well, we'll see how it looks in the daylight this weekend.

Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  21:58:48  Show Profile
Hmm...Shame you aren't closer. I'd trade you both my 24V older Gauchos (currently run off controllers), for that thing if all you are doing is ripping it apart!! All gears/motors are good. Seriously!

Edited by - colinandmylesmom on 12/16/2010 22:08:30
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  22:13:35  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
colinandmylesmom, I don't think I'd want to give up this black one, and shipping would be crazy, but maybe all 4 of my tires/wheels, drivers, and 2 of my gearboxes, for 2 of your gearboxes, 2 drivers, plus.... I don't know, something. I've bought some gearboxes from you before, a couple years ago when you were still "colinsmom." There, found the email, 8/20/07!

Go to Top of Page

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  22:35:32  Show Profile
If you decide to part with the wheels I might be interested if that is part of your modification.

Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  07:12:57  Show Profile
Just sent you a message, I"d be up for a trade on the parts. So send me an email if you want and we can work something out!

Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  09:35:34  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by swhenrik

Kinda sad tearing into a $850 Jeep before it even gets driven the first time!

The first thing I do, open up the rear end to get a closer look at the motors.... and I find this:

Wow! I'd be sweating like crazy if I spent that much money only to find out they had swapped the parts like that. I'd probably have to lay down for a while.

Chris Hozian

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness." ~The New Era, August 1989, pages 4-5.

12V PW Lightning McQueen @ 18V :: 12V PW Red Harley-Davidson Motorcycle @ 18V :: 12V Peg Jeep Apache @ 18V :: Super 6 PW CAT Tough Loader @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Firerock Jeep Wrangler @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Ford F-150 @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Get Set Go-Kart @ 12V :: 6V Rand Spider-Man Lil Quad @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Lil Quad (Sold) :: 12V Dumar Yamaha Raptor 660R Quad :: Super 6 PW Barbie Trail Rider Quad :: 12V Yellow Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V Green Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V PW Classic Chrome Harley-Davidson Motorcycle (Sold) :: 12V Little Tikes Hummer H2 (Sold) :: 12V PW Ford Mustang :: 12V PW Chevy Silverado 1500 (Traded) :: 12V PW Barbie Cruisin' Tunes Jeep :: 6V PW Barbie Blitz Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep :: 6V PW Hot Wheels Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep (Sold)
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  10:38:14  Show Profile
Well, worst case...we now know that 700 motors will work reliably on 24 volts as long as you have a soft start!

Drive it like you stole it!........out of somebody's garbage!
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  11:42:37  Show Profile
Maybe its just the photo but those motor wires don't look that beefy either. I wonder if the scooter type motors were just pulling to many amps causing all the issues with the poly switches? Hopefully they did this for reliability but its hard to believe they would do this for any reason other than to save money though. I have a hard time believing those motors were the weak link.

Go to Top of Page

redboy01
Journeyman Modder

Gastonia
NC
USA

321 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  13:15:34  Show Profile
Are the new SP 700 motors different from the 700 motors in the gaucho grande's? If we can put 24v on old 700 motors with a softstart will the old gaucho grande's gearboxes hold up? Hopefully someone will breakdown a new sp gearbox to show the differences.

Go to Top of Page

marrzie1

Lidköping

Sweden

38 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  18:47:36  Show Profile
If swhenrik does not break them down before I receive my replacement superpower then I am happy to. I would love to get comments and opinions on whether or not these are the same gearboxes and motors as the 700. I hooked up the battery and lifted the rear end and floored it on low speed and it was very similar in sound to gserics apache videos. On youtube the new superpowers have a loud whine sound that seems much louder than the old scooter type motors on the grey model. But in person, at least on low power, the motors seem only slightly louder than the old models and no noticable whine. I didnt remove the lockout screw as I am trying to keep everything as is in prep for sending this one back in the same condition as I received it. I am still super angry about the small motors though. After all bigger is always better right. LOL. I have tried to email peg many times but they will not respond. Maybe someone with connections can find out why they redesigned the motors and what is better or worse about the new ones.

Edited by - marrzie1 on 12/17/2010 18:51:06
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  20:28:31  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Taz and redboy.... the Gaucho SP is already running 24 volts to the motors. But there is a huge difference between a motor designed to run on 24 volts and a motor designed to run on 12 volts. A 12 volt motor on 12 volts may run the same RPM as a 24 volt motor on 24 volts... the big difference is that the 24 volt motor will pull about 1/2 the current (power is the same, power over voltage = current), and it is more efficient.

The motors in this are definitely 700 series, most likely the exact same motors and gearboxes as the 800 twin and RZR.

I too wondered if the smaller motors were a cure to reduce current in the electrical board, but upgrading the electrical board to handle more current would probably actually be cheaper then to make a change to SO many parts on the rest of the vehicle to accept these different gearboxes. I imagine the price of the motor and gearbox was a big issue though, replacements for the ones that are in the new SP sell new for $37, the big motor version sell new for $59.

I planned to call Peg Perego today, but didn't get there. I'm pretty ticked about this still, not only because I got screwed with smaller motors, but also because they don't match the other 2 I bought. I'll likely end up getting another 2 real SP gearboxes for this project.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to look into it a bit more. There's going to be a fair amount of work to add these monster gearboxes up front, add front suspension, upgrade the rear suspension, find room for the second (and 3rd?) battery, etc. Then decide if I'll run these tires/wheels, or upgrade to real rubber tires.

Edited by - swhenrik on 12/18/2010 17:39:12
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  20:54:58  Show Profile
Let me know if you got my email, want to make sure it went thru. I"d rather converse thru there about a few things than on here. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

marrzie1

Lidköping

Sweden

38 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  05:28:58  Show Profile
What exactly is the reason the larger original superpower motors are more desirable than the current smaller 700 series type motors? I was mainly concerned with the sound level but am also worried about the top speed and torque. Also wondering if overvolting is possible? If worse comes to worse I wonder if I could but a whole under assembly like the one gseric got for the apache.
Go to Top of Page

dozer
Expert Modder

Milton
Ontario
Canada

789 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  05:52:34  Show Profile
Is no one going to accost him for paying retail.

Don't think outside the box.
Think outside the sphere that the box is floating in.
Go to Top of Page

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  07:49:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dozer

Why not just buy a gas powered quad or a nice go cart?

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  08:00:39  Show Profile
Hey is your new 24v battery a single 24v sla or 2 x 12v in series?

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  17:28:56  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by colinandmylesmom

Let me know if you got my email, want to make sure it went thru. I"d rather converse thru there about a few things than on here. Thanks.

I haven't decided what to do, and I just haven't had a chance to yet, I will.

quote:
Originally posted by PW warehouse

Why not just buy a gas powered quad or a nice go cart?

Already answered in my first post:
quote:

.....The gas powered 50cc fourwheeler we bought him is not his style, he prefers more of a rock-crawler approach, or mudding, over going fast and jumping....

quote:
Originally posted by dozer

I doubt there's another SP in northern minnesota. Definitely none on Craigslist or eBay nearby. So what are my options?

quote:
Originally posted by marrzie1

What exactly is the reason the larger original superpower motors are more desirable than the current smaller 700 series type motors?

The larger motors are more desirable because.... well.... because they are bigger. Something like 4 times the size. More torque, more durable, etc. I forget the exact RPM's, but they are something like 2500 RPM compared to the standard 540/550 and 700 series motors running something like 15,000 RPM. Wheel speed is the same either way with different gearing.

quote:

Also wondering if overvolting is possible? If worse comes to worse I wonder if I could buy a whole under assembly like the one gseric got for the apache.

Anything can be overvolted. The results will be the same either way, 1.5 times the voltage will be about 1.5 times the speed. The larger motors will likely handle overvolting further, and hold up better with the same amount of overvolting.

quote:
Originally posted by blake711

Hey is your new 24v battery a single 24v sla or 2 x 12v in series?

It is two 12 volt 15ah batteries in series, in a one piece case similar to the other Peg batteries.

Edited by - swhenrik on 12/18/2010 17:55:21
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  19:17:31  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I got tired of waiting,and started tearing into it....

Wheel, and wheel side of driver:

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  19:20:49  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Vehicle side with the stuff in previous pic removed:

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  19:25:43  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Second part of wheel driver, pulled out showing the needle bearing.... pretty cool!!!

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  19:32:29  Show Profile
Wow that is cool. First stock bearing I have ever seen a BPRO

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  19:39:38  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
The good news.... the driver engages the big motor gearbox exactly the same, so it will be a direct swap.

The wheel with all the parts assembled on it:

Edited by - swhenrik on 12/18/2010 19:42:31
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  19:44:49  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
The axle with both gearboxes hanging on it, for comparison:

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  19:49:54  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
The big motor gearbox sits in the rear tub just fine.... what a relief! There's one intermediate shaft on the gearbox that sticks out toward the wheel that interferes. The tub has a pilot hole in it already, I just need to enlarge that hole. And then the axle hole in the gearbox is huge compared to the axle itself, there must be a reducing bushing that goes in there. Otherwise, it's close to ready to run in this picture.

The wires are definitely a different size between the two.... around 12 ga. for the big motors, all the way down to 16 ga. on the 700 series motors.... a HUGE difference.

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  20:04:58  Show Profile
I can't believe they have wires that small on 24 volts. That is very disappointing.

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  20:17:15  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Well, like I said, when the motors are designed to run at higher voltages, the current is much lower. Comparing apples to apples though, there's no doubt that the smaller 700 series motors pull less current then the big ones, both of which run 24 volts, which also means less torque.

Go to Top of Page

marrzie1

Lidköping

Sweden

38 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  05:54:51  Show Profile
quote:

The big motor gearbox sits in the rear tub just fine.... what a relief! There's one intermediate shaft on the gearbox that sticks out toward the wheel that interferes. The tub has a pilot hole in it already, I just need to enlarge that hole. And then the axle hole in the gearbox is huge compared to the axle itself, there must be a reducing bushing that goes in there. Otherwise, it's close to ready to run in this picture.

The wires are definitely a different size between the two.... around 12 ga. for the big motors, all the way down to 16 ga. on the 700 series motors.... a HUGE difference.

So can you say with confidence its not a big deal to swap the big motor and gearbox in place of the small 700 series setup without much trouble? I havent even assembled our superpower yet and really want to order a set of the original motors and gearboxes and maybe sell the 700 series ones. I just wonder if I have all of the skills necessary to pull off the swap.

Edited by - marrzie1 on 12/19/2010 05:57:23
Go to Top of Page

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  08:04:09  Show Profile
Sounds like the only major issue is the first generation sp gearbox axle shaft hole is larger.

Go to Top of Page

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  08:05:58  Show Profile
Thank you swhenrik for the excellent pictures.

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  10:55:06  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
There will be 2 issues.

1.) The wires for the small motors run all the way to the motors. The big motors have leads already on them. Somewhere in there, a splice/plug will be needed. Also, I don't know if the stock controller for the small motors handle the current.

2.) I can't seem to find the reducer bushing part listed. My question for other SP owners.... Is the big motor version running a larger diameter axle, or a stepped axle that is larger diameter through the gearbox and then smaller through the wheel driver? Or is there an actual bushing. GSEric shuold know? Colinandmylesmom?

I reassembled mine back to stock until I get more parts.

Go to Top of Page

marrzie1

Lidköping

Sweden

38 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  13:53:05  Show Profile
I look forward to this blog. I really dont care whats involved parts wise. Of course the fewer the better cost wise but my main concern is degree of difficulty. I am honda technician so I know a little bit about cars, hopefully that will transfer over to help me. But you seem to be very detailed which is great for me and everyone else here. Much appreciated. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  19:39:32  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
We brought the Gaucho outside today, bone stock, had the kids try it out in the snow. It's not the worst performing kids ride-on I've seen, but it's close. Plenty of torque, no traction. I was really hoping the rubber tires on it would work a lot better then that. 30 metel roof screws in each tire helped, but still not enough to climb a slippery incline. We had them park it, I dropped batteries in the Dora quad, and the kids were pulling each other around on sleds... on the same trails this Gaucho wouldn't move itself. 4wd and BMX tire tread is hard to beat.

So, I'm even more seriously thinking about some real tires, something like so:

Go to Top of Page

marrzie1

Lidköping

Sweden

38 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  20:24:42  Show Profile
HOLY !!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  21:47:14  Show Profile
Those real tires look AWESOME!! If you're going to go out, go all out!

Go to Top of Page

marrzie1

Lidköping

Sweden

38 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  10:24:53  Show Profile
Post a video if you get a chance the next time they take a spin in the snow.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  16:23:46  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
New tires and wheels ordered:
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-3189-L&catname=wheels
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-3189-R&catname=wheels

Edited by - swhenrik on 12/22/2010 16:30:15
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  16:38:57  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I called Peg Perego. The girl I talked to literally pulled apart an older SP while I was on the phone, and couldn't find any bushings inside the gearbox. The part number for the rear axle is different, so it may be larger diameter, but she couldn't tell by part listings. I guess I'll measure what I need for bushings and see what I can find. Being I just ordered new wheels, I need to find bushings for those now anyway.

Their prices are reasonable:
$61 each for big motor gearboxes
$12 for a rear axle
$3 each for outer wheel drives, but inner wheel drivers are not available.

I pleaded my case about the disappointment of ordering an SP, getting one with smaller motors, no working lights, no charging port, etc, etc.... it fell on deaf ears, not even a discount on parts.

Edited by - swhenrik on 12/22/2010 18:49:33
Go to Top of Page

marrzie1

Lidköping

Sweden

38 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  19:08:25  Show Profile
Oh, I was hoping among all the problems with my sp that they forgot to include the lights. Never occurred to me that they stopped making them with lights.
Did she ever give a reason why the motors were changed?
And are those prices from pegperego direct?
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  08:32:45  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
I asked about why the changes were made, knowing I'd get some lame answer... and I did.... "It was based on feedback from retailers, blah blah blah"

No working key on new SP either.

Those prices were from Peg Perego direct. I didn't find out what shipping was, but their prices are slightly higher on gearboxes then kidswheels and peg-peregoparts.com

Edited by - swhenrik on 12/23/2010 09:52:42
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  11:47:52  Show Profile
Check NSAEllis for peg parts he normally smokes the online folks.

Go to Top of Page

marrzie1

Lidköping

Sweden

38 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  15:26:06  Show Profile
Haha I almost forgot about the key. I was so excited explaining to my wife that none of the neighbors kids could just hop on and ride without asking because they needed a key to turn it on. She had a good laugh at my expense watching me try to get the key to work. In my defense it only took me half a minute to realize the key is only for show.

All of these downgrades and cutbacks might not demote the mighty superpower from its "Holy Grail" status but it sure doesnt help!
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  15:33:34  Show Profile
quote:

All of these downgrades and cutbacks might not demote the mighty superpower from its "Holy Grail" status but it sure doesnt help!

if they have fixed the reliability issues wit boards and poly switches. And the new motors and gearboxes hold up ok. Then I would guess most folks wont care.

The original guachos had lights and other stuff that were disabled with a recall but folks still want them. That also didn't stop bret michales from buying a newer version one.

Go to Top of Page

marrzie1

Lidköping

Sweden

38 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  17:57:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by blake711

quote:

if they have fixed the reliability issues wit boards and poly switches. And the new motors and gearboxes hold up ok. Then I would guess most folks wont care.

The original guachos had lights and other stuff that were disabled with a recall but folks still want them. That also didn't stop bret michales from buying a newer version one.

Very good points. I agree with everything you said, but it still bothers me that they made the changes without any warning. Of course its not a big deal but it did seem a bit shady. Oh well. I still love it.
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  19:45:25  Show Profile
quote:

To be honest, I'd rather have a Hi-Torque. I can add the scooter controller myself

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  20:04:26  Show Profile
I don't know that it was shady its a toy company. I mean other than the guys on here. No one buying a newer has any idea the diffrence in a 700 series motor and a scooter motor. So I just look at it like anything else they make changes to vehicles as they reintroduce them.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: