These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 SPEED CONTROL - IT WORKS
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NeilH
Apprentice Modder

85 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  12:11:50  Show Profile
Sorry no pics or wiring diagrams yet, too busy modding.
Anyway here's what I have done.
1. Started with a good PW copy Jeep, metal frame and Unibody.
2. Changed motors for upgraded Johnson 700 series.
3. Put 4x6v batteries in series (space precluded fitting 2 x 12v).
4. Added a 24v scooter speed controller.
5. Complete re-wire to take higher amps.
6. Used a scooter twist throttle mounted under floorpan with a flat bit of aluminium fitted to it as a foot throttle.
7. Moved original Throttle/Brake further to left and wire it to activate brake on scooter controller (removes power) and also to short motors for hard braking. The brake is only ever needed in real emergency as motor braking does a good job.
8. Added a Remote on/off (cheap from Ebay) - my son loves this as it is just like dads car 'zapper'.
9. All switching done by 40amp relays so only 12v low amps runs through switches - 1 for remote on/off, 2 for fwd/reverse (just changes polarity going to motors), then 2 in series after the fwd/reverse for braking (the motors connected to the common and when activated the relays disconnect the supply from the controller and simultaneously short the motors. By using this system it ensures the controller cannot be shorted in the event that throtle and brake are pressed together.

Bottom line is that it works brilliantly - the scooter controller provides extremely smooth acceleration so much less stress on motors and gearbox. Only down side is that Donuts are difficult. But the Jeep accelerates nicely to a fantastic speed.

I am no electrical expert, I just trawled this forum to see what people were doing and then sat down with a pen and paper and scribbled out the switching sequence for the relays.

Jake Loves the Jeep now, no more Jerky take-offs and proper throttle/brake like a real car, add in the remote on/off and he is one happy kid.

I am just about to move house (from UK to USA), but once we are in and settled I will run up some pictures, videos and wiring diagrams (once I work out WHY it works!!!!).

Just give the scooter controller a go - it totally changes the PW.

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  12:25:53  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Sounds like a good outcome to your project. My scooter controller showed up last night, but no batteries yet, and reading about yours makes me more excited to get started.

You should have a thread in the "Projects" pages. You could start a new thread, or this one could be moved there. Then add pics and diagrams and everything as you get to it.
Go to Top of Page

NeilH
Apprentice Modder

85 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  13:41:52  Show Profile
If you know how to move to projects - feel free and I'll add details as I get it.
Get that Speed Controller in - it is an awesome mod. As I say though, spend a few valuable hours with pen and paper and run through the logic of all the switching (especially if you are using relays). I have spent 20 years in the UK military and the one big lesson I take I away is "Time Spent on Recce is seldom, if ever, wasted" much the same as "Measure twice, Cut Once".
Lots of planning saves you blowing valuable components.
Also, I fitted and wired all my components in a small rubberware box that fitted nicely under the PW seats - this way I could bench test and then fit to PW, as opposed to drilling loads of holes in PW and struggling to trace wires (and faults!).
Have fun.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  15:18:27  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Looks like someone moved it already...
Yeah, I'm working on the diagram for mine already here: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=396&whichpage=2
Go to Top of Page

NeilH
Apprentice Modder

85 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  09:57:55  Show Profile
I found a video on my mobile phone of Jake's first test run at 24v. Sorry about quality, but only on a 2MP phone camera. Also apologise for Jake's lurid yellow School uniform t-shirt!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drF_mH5tTsI

Not bad speed considering it was wet grass!
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  15:06:28  Show Profile
That thing moves pretty well.

It's my Little Deuce Coupe...You don't know what I got.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: