These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Introductions
 Picked up a Peg Perego John Deere 4x4 Gaucho today
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zno

ATL

20 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  17:47:14  Show Profile
hi y'all,
first i'd like to thank many of you here for very valuable info you've shared with everyone. i've been reading this forum a lot ever since i decided to pick up a PW from walmart for my boy (21mos old) for this christmas. but i made a little bit of detour from that idea. i'm grateful for this forum but part of me also regret finding this forum because last several weekends have been ruined. :p now i own 4 PPs. i got my first one about a month and half ago. so there's my short background. fast forward to today...

today has been a great day.
much to wife's pressure, i finally gave in and sold a PW today to make some room in my garage. we have a 3 car garage and 3 vehicles but only one is parked inside. :) while i was editing my listing on CL, i saw a JD Gaucho. this can't be. you should have seen my face. i've been looking for a gator for a while. but i couldn't find any in good condition without paying arms and legs for it. so i was very surprise to see a PP JD Gaucho at this price($50). so i called the person and he said he'd been getting a lot of calls but no one had shown up. i asked for his address and much to my surprise, he lived a few subdivision down from mine. so i drove a WHOLE mile to his house as soon as i hung up.

first thing i noticed was the body. it was in great shape. few missing trims but nothing major. battery looked new (measured at 13.5V at home). now the bads: only speed 2 is working and the right rear wheel is not turning. I hear the motor spinning but the wheel is not turning. upon further investigation, motor came lose from the gearbox. i don't know how severe the damage is but i won't be able to work on it until next spring. it's just freaking too cold to work outside.

here are some pictures i took after a quick bath. again, it was freezing cold so it'll get a detail next spring. in the end, i still have 2 cars parked outside.

anyone know a cheap treatment center or divorce lawyer? i think i'll need one or the other soon. :)

94.87 KB

98.44 KB

99.34 KB

96 KB

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  20:22:27  Show Profile
Looks great probably need to clean the switches to get first working. Does reverse work? If not its the hi/low switch for sure. May need a new GB Also. Looks to be missing the toolbox, a sidepipe, wheel caps and lights on the rollbar. Still it looks great. I would have paid twice that and drove 2 hours to get it. That is a very rare find. Please don't paint it. That is unicorn I have yet to find. Lucky lucky man.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

zno

ATL

20 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  15:17:59  Show Profile
Blake,
Thanks for the advice. I cleaned both switches and now all 3 positions are working.
I also took a better look at the gearbox and it's completely ruined. It's beyond repair. Even the gear teeth on the motor are completely gone. So I guess I will have to purchase a new GB just like you predicted.

When I place order for a GB, do I have to specify which side or will it fit either side?

There's no way I would repaint this JD. I love its color scheme as is.
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  15:43:45  Show Profile
No they are reversible. Only issue you may have is if you hookup the wires backwards wheels would spin in opposite directions. Just flip wires on new motor if that happens and you are golden. You can post a want add for used gearbox in the buy/sell forum here. Or if you want a new one check out NSAEllis or NSA woodworking he has the best prices on new peg stuff bar none. He doesn't have it listed for the JD version but the rockin or silver show new GB With motor at 21 bucks plus shipping.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  06:13:52  Show Profile
Nice find for $50 even if you do have to purchase some new parts. The tool kit from the first super power(black)is the correct tool kit. And it looks like your missing your spark plug wires so that might help out some with 1st and reverse not working.Just kidding,but they are still available new through NSA woodworking.He also has the taillight assemblies,rollbar lights and the exhaust pipe and all of these are very reasonable priced items.

Just noticed its missing all 4 fender flares. Kinda like it better without them myself.

Excellent ride on to start with. You will not be disappointed.

Go to Top of Page

zno

ATL

20 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  00:18:55  Show Profile
yeah i sure hope my son would like his rides when he's ready to ride them. at this point, he much prefers his 99 cent hot wheels over gauchos.

anyway, my shopping list is getting longer and longer. between two gaucho's, i need a lot of parts. i need to prioritize them and request a quote from NSA.

1 x GB
1 x ashtray (yellow)
1 x exhaust pipe cover (yellow)
1 x toolbox kit (black)
4 x small hub caps
4 x fenders
2 x tail lights
4 x roll bar lights (rectangle)
3 x fog lights (round)
1 x running board (driver side)
1 x mirror (driver side)
1 x gas cap