These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Motors/Gearing/Drivetrain
 IM LOST!!! Just a simple battery swap
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voodoo13

MURDER CITY
MI
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  22:37:59  Show Profile
Ok, I just picked up a used first step black corvette pw for 60.00 Of Course it needs a battery. I read a billion posts tonight but I'm still nervous on the swap..This is for my daughter. she is 2..but shes also over 3 feet tall. So i wanted to get her a 2 seater cus there a bit bigger on the inside..The corvette looks brand new. I guess the battery took a crap in a year..and since we live in the motor city..your lucky to get 5 months of use cus its to cold!!!! so its hardly used..I looked for a replacement battery but I'm still not sure on what battery to use?? they all say for jeeps and quads etc. but nothing about the corvette...and what about the proper install and charging..i heard the stock chargers over cook the battery..Can someone please help a brother out and give me the idiot proof way and safe way to do this..for some reason i cant find anyone talking about a first step black corvette on here, are they all the same??? should i return the car?? is it worth the 60 bucks plus battery?? she said i can return it if i cant find a battery..
Thanks-

sea_stork
Journeyman Modder

Ocean Springs
MS
USA

294 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  09:23:56  Show Profile
Your best bet on a Battery is probably Gruber Modified Power wheels batteries, you will need to check the dimensions to make sure you get one that fits. Batteries should be charged after use, or once a month if not in use. I don't recommend leaving them outside in the cold weather either, every car battery that ever died on me, died the morning after a frost. I keep mine inside and use a charger that will switch over from charging to maintaining, when the battery is fully charged. Hopefully a more experienced member will chime in.

Dodge Charger Hemi Police Cruiser
Monster Sounds Bigfoot F150
Burgundy Escalade EXT
F150 Monster Traction
MT Yamaha Raptor 700R (3)
Barbie Jammin' Jeep
Barbie Jammin' Jeep reconditioned into a green lifted Jeep (The Bullfrog)
Silver Lil F150 ( 12V)
Firerock Jeep (12v)
Barbie Dune Beetle
Lil Tykes Yellow Hummer H2
Peg Perego Gator 4x2
Step2 Mighty Mac (project)
Peg Perego Gator 4x2 (parts)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead..."
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  13:01:47  Show Profile
A standard 12v12ah sla battery will fit in that vehicle. The problem is with SF cars you cannot pry off the stock battery connector to reuse on an aftermarket battery. So you will need to buy a stock battery. Or cut off the stock vehicle side connector which is probably recalled anyway. Add a 30amp fuse or breaker and use a couple female spade connectors to attach to the new battery.

You can pick up a smart charger like the shcumacher 600a for less than 30 at walmart or amazon. Its a great charger and will take good care of that battery. It can also be sued on your car, lawn mowers or anything else like that. More questions just ask.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  14:23:00  Show Profile
If the original battery is 12V then you can test it with any 12V battery (cordless drill, car, lawn mower, etc.) using jumper wires, to be sure it is working before investing any money into it. I haven't heard of "First Step" brand - I think we are all assuming it is "Safety First"...? If so, they are notorious for circuit board failures, so I would certainly test it first.

(pics link to threads)

Fast, Reliable, and Cheap... Pick any two.
Go to Top of Page

Voodoo13

MURDER CITY
MI
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  18:51:25  Show Profile
Yes its a safety first black corvette..found a local battery store that had a 12v 12ah for 32.00 and he tossed in the 30 amp fuse and the wires and connectors for free..as for the battery HAHAHAHA ..it took me about and hr and a half and pure fear to get that battery connector out..IT CAN BE DONE lol// I had to do some serious chiseling but i did finally get it out in one piece... I was scared because i could not see what i was prying on..or what was under the plastic I was chiseling out..But Success It runs drives and everything works...just needs a quick spray bomb,,I'm thinking house of kolor pink with a nice flake..Should make the kiddo happy!!!
Thanks for helping guys..To anybody else that reads this and needs to replace the battery..ITS NOT HARD AT ALL..just YouTube, how to replace a power wheels battery with an aftermarket one..easy as 123
as for the charger..I'm going to pick up trickle charger..but for now I'm going to put the stock charger on a timer so it doesn't over charge...
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  21:39:47  Show Profile
So you actually got some wires off the end of the connector? The ones I have opened up the wires don't have any give. Otherwise I would have added that to my video also. Glad you found it.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

Voodoo13

MURDER CITY
MI
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  08:02:40  Show Profile
yep i got the clip and the wires out..Was a bit of work but it is possible... the old battery looked like a bomb hit it lol...Not sure how dangerous it was to do it..Cant recommend that its safe to do it..but yes its done with the original battery clip..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: