These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Radio Controlled! (R/C)
 Retrofitting PW mustang for handicap child
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

SJP

4 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  22:46:30  Show Profile
New to forum. I am helping a co-worker by modifying a Powerwheels Barbie Mustang for his daughter who cannot steer or drive. It is a new model. I have read a few threads and am deciding to make this kind of a walk along with a manual steering rod for her dad to walk along it. I know servos and such can be used but I am trying to keep this basic and I think having the peace of mind of walking close is a bit more predictable than remote.

My questing is there a straight forward way to add a wired remote that would activate throttle (could attach to steering rod off the wheel). I have read a thread that goes into wireless two channel. I have ordered these parts with a relay. Not sure how diode plays into this but the wiring diagram provided on the site seems clear. I am thinking of PM'ing the member for more details. Trying to get this pounded out before Christmas. Have steering completed. Thank you in advance for any assistance provided.

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  01:20:51  Show Profile
That should be fairly easy to do. The factory wiring should be very similar to this...

You can purchase a 12V Single-Pole Double-Throw (SPDT) relay, and a momentary switch, then just move the contacts from the throttle pedal to the relay as shown, and use some wire you have lying around (can be small gauge) to run to the switch, and to jumper 12V over to one side of the relay coil...

(pics link to threads)

Fast, Reliable, and Cheap... Pick any two.
Go to Top of Page

12vwiz
Expert Modder

Mobile
AL
USA

505 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  11:09:27  Show Profile
This link may also help. The drawing is focused on the switch itself. There are links that provide you with the type of switches you could use along with wire size recommendation. It was originally drawn for a Power Wheels f-150 but the wiring is the same.

My first mod - john deer gator On Hold
Peg Gator LHR shifter Wiring diagram
Big Foot - driver relocation In progress

Edited by - 12vwiz on 12/10/2010 11:12:03
Go to Top of Page

SJP

4 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  10:18:25  Show Profile
All - - Thank you for replying to this thread. It is going to make a little girls Christmas. I have reviewed all of the referenced threads. Have the steering completed and started breaking down the car to access wiring.

1. I have the relay. I removed the shift panel / do I need to breakdown the pedal and access this? It seems pretty nested in the floor board area. I am going to go out and do some more research.

2. I also have a two channel remote. It came with absolutely no documentation though. There are 8 terminals on the receiver (listed below). Buttons on the remote are marked "A" and "B".

12+ 12- A B C A B C

If anyone can decipher this I would greatly appreciate. In a perfect world I would like to use the remote as a secondary switch if I can swing it. 12VWIZ - thanks for posting diagram - I am going to try and use the remote. There is also reference to a diode when using a remote. What type? How does this play into the diagram? I apologize for not being more informed. As I am going through this I keep flip flopping on hard switch / remote. From an aesthetics standpoint the remote will look a lot better than wires/switch running up the extended steering rod. I have a pretty cool auto mod shop / super store that has a plethora of switches / relays / supplies etc etc. I just need to know how to make magic!! Again thank guys for helping out with this. I really appreciate it.

61.11 KB

77.81 KB
Go to Top of Page

SJP

4 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  11:19:00  Show Profile
Alright - I accessed the pedal and found the wire harness. Getting a little bit closer.

57.51 KB
Go to Top of Page

SJP

4 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  10:15:33  Show Profile
Update:

Have primary switch completed and working. Starting to clean up and make things look pretty. Paint pink / shrink wrap wiring etc etc. If I get the remote operational than it is a bonus. Thank you all so much for the diagrams - they obviously made this project very straight forward. I am hoping to have some Christmas pics to update the thread.

Happy Holidays!

Regards,

Sam
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: