These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Motors/Gearing/Drivetrain
 Help with ID and source for this gear(box)!!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hazza

Australia

5 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  02:55:34  Show Profile
Hey guys.

I am new around here, I live in Australia. First time posting so be easy on me. Short version: I have a stripped gear out of my daughters Barbie ride on. The gear is a 56 tooth 32P main section, with a 12T 1mod gear moulded on top. Measures roughly 46cm in diameter including the teeth, and has a 5mm centre bore. Does anyone have any idea if the 3a, 3b, 7 or other gearboxes use this same first gear? Or what version this gearbox is exactly? If so where would one try and buy this gear(box)?

Long version: Background is, I bought a second hand Barbie 12v ride on a couple of years ago and it has worked well. I almost immediately switched it from 12v Lead Acid (as the battery wouldn't hold a full charge) to cheaper LiPo batteries I had from my R/C hobby. This gave much better speed, torque and runtime. Great. Fast forward to last week, when we had my daughters birthday party. Of course the main attraction for her school friends was the Barbie car. Looks like none of them had experience with it as they crashed it around, and weren't too good with the co-ordination of steering and gears. Anyway one of them took off at full speed down the slope and while still on the throttle slammed it into reverse!!!!! DOH!!!!! I heard the sound of stripped/broken gears from the other side of the yard.

So after taking it apart, the damage is actually a lot less than I thought, but nevertheless the weakest link was the first gear in the gearbox which is only 32P and meshes straight to the motor pinion, and it has been partially stripped. In the heat of the moment, I hastily worked out a fix to try and get it running again, by unplugging the motor on that side, and ran it just with top gear. Well all was good for 30 seconds but then the car slowed under load and stopped. Opened the seat and saw smoke coming out of the other motor. DOH. It's toast. That was it for the day.

Anyway now time to try and fix it. After researching these last couple of days, and inquiring at the local hobby shops, toy shops etc it seems spare parts cannot be bought easily. So I searched for some info and came across this awesome forum. Have read through tons of threads, including the gearbox one, lots of top information around here. But I need help to ID the gear I need to try and replace it.

Thanks in advance.

Hazza

Australia

5 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  03:37:12  Show Profile
I just stumbled on Aussie Darren's thread about his Jeeps, and the Barbie one he has is basically exactly the same as mine.

Mine doesn't have any branding on it, but has the exact same body, rollbar, shifter and moulds as his. Maybe this helps ID the gear or gearbox mine uses? Darren, nice collection you have there. Any idea where I might be able to get a replacement gear or box?

Edited by - Hazza on 12/07/2010 03:49:29
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  05:43:45  Show Profile
That looks to be similar to a Metal Frame jeep gearbox. They seem to be common down there in Austailia. I have no Knowledge on that specific jeep.
Maybe Aussie Darren can hook you up locally, he seems to get lots of them. I will check the specs on MF jeep gears just for comparison. I'm sure I have one if they are the same.

Drive it like you stole it!........out of somebody's garbage!
Go to Top of Page

Hazza

Australia

5 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  06:20:19  Show Profile
Taz. That would be awesome if you could check your parts for one that might fit. If you do have one I will definitely buy it off you. The daughter is not impressed that daddy can't fix her car, especially now around her birthday, christmas, holidays etc It's the last time anyone other than my kids use it unsupervised.

Edited by - Hazza on 12/07/2010 06:20:48
Go to Top of Page

AUSSIE DARREN
Journeyman Modder

BRISBANE
QLD
Australia

374 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  06:38:27  Show Profile
Hi Hazza
welcome to the site as you have already stated parts are almost none existent for ride on's here . So by far your best option is buy an old ride on & strip it for parts go to a recycle shop near you if you don't understand what they are? locate your local rubbish dump & there's a good chance they will be a recycle shop just near by it could be called a treasure market or something along those lines. They almost always have old ride on toys from $10-$30 you don't need to find the exact same jeep any 12v jeep or quad would have gear boxes that fit. Your gear boxes are the slowest & the noisiest so if you happen to find a jeep or quad with smaller looking gearboxes it will actually be a bonus just change both gear boxes .You may need to change over the iner hup of the wheel so the key matches the gearbox or maybe even whole wheel itself. It will just be luck of the draw whats there at the time. Ebay is another option but if you pay to much or it's in really nice condtion it will be hard to pull down for parts.

By the way where abouts are you from ?if your near by I would be happy to help I will have a look at what spares I have but chances are any similar gearboxes i have will also have that 1st cog strip it almost always that same one.
good luck I hope I helped a little.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  06:43:09  Show Profile
Noisiest huh?......really sounds like a MF box now! LOL

Go to Top of Page

AUSSIE DARREN
Journeyman Modder

BRISBANE
QLD
Australia

374 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  13:52:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Taz11

Noisiest huh?......really sounds like a MF box now! LOL

No your right a MF is still noisier Hazza just has the old "3" gear box even though you can still buy one of these jeeps new today they are the only ones that still run the old "3" gearboxes to this day.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  16:10:59  Show Profile
Well.....I checked a MF Jeep gearbox. It measures 8 1/2 inches from the top to the center of the screw hole at the other end.

The first gear.......get this 56X12 Not sure on the pitch but I've used 32 pitch pinions in them without issues.

The gear rotates on a (roughly) 3/16 shaft (eye-balled on a tape measure)

It measures 7/8 inch high when on it's side.

Sounds pretty close.

Any chance you can get a diameter measurement in inches? Sorry, no metric tapes here.

I have 1 spare gear if you want to try it. I have some complete gearboxes w/out motors also (they use 700series motors).

Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  17:40:43  Show Profile
quote:

Well.....I checked a MF Jeep gearbox. It measures 8 1/2 inches from the top to the center of the screw hole at the other end.

The first gear.......get this 56X12 Not sure on the pitch but I've used 32 pitch pinions in them without issues.

The gear rotates on a (roughly) 3/16 shaft (eye-balled on a tape measure)

It measures 7/8 inch high when on it's side.

Sounds pretty close.

Any chance you can get a diameter measurement in inches? Sorry, no metric tapes here.

I have 1 spare gear if you want to try it. I have some complete gearboxes w/out motors also (they use 700series motors).

3/16" = 4.8 mm
8-1/2" = 215.9 mm

46 mm dia = 1-13/16

And it sure does look like someone copied the MF gearboxes to me

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

Hazza

Australia

5 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  22:26:22  Show Profile
quote:

The gear rotates on a (roughly) 3/16 shaft (eye-balled on a tape measure). It measures 7/8 inch high when on it's side.

Sounds pretty close. Any chance you can get a diameter measurement in inches? Sorry, no metric tapes here.

Oh that sounds like it could be a perfect fit. Thankyou so much for measuring that for me Taz. The answer is yes, yes, YES!!! Your a life saver. Sign me up. Let me know how much you want for just the gear and also how much for the gearboxes. You can email me on john_hazza@hotmail.com if you like.

Regarding the gearboxes with 700 series motors, are these a good upgrade? More torque/speed I am guessing. But does that mean more stress on the crappy 32P first gear?

Cheers.

Edited by - Hazza on 12/08/2010 01:32:19
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  04:04:49  Show Profile
I've run Mf gearboxes on 24 volts. I've only broken one and it was the drive gear. I suspect those "copies" are made of a different blend of plastic.

The 700 motors have more torque and hold up to overvolting better. Thew mounting holes for the motor are wider so they do not interchange (except in a #7 Gearbox). The gearboxes that I have do not include motors.

I will look into shipping to Australia.

Do they use zip codes down there? Let me know and I will calculate shipping costs.

Go to Top of Page

AUSSIE DARREN
Journeyman Modder

BRISBANE
QLD
Australia

374 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  05:04:00  Show Profile
This is the gearbox from one of those jeeps beside a MF gearbox yeah pretty close in size it's just where the motor is on the MF it wider.

51.67 KB
from what I have priced it would be about $40 to ship over a whole gearbox from the states!

Go to Top of Page

Hazza

Australia

5 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  05:29:20  Show Profile
Thanks for the additional info Taz and Darren. Yeah the MF gearboxes sound like the go, but if it will be 80 bucks for the pair, then I might have to settle for just the spare little gear, as I only paid 80 bucks total for the whole car.

Taz my postcode is 2620. If you could let me know how much for just the single little gear, and also another price for the gearboxes then I can work out what to do. Again I appreciate all your help on this!

Darren I live in Canberra so a fair way from you. I will have to go check out revolve (that's our recycling type shops near the tips) and see if I can get some run down cars.

Edited by - Hazza on 12/08/2010 05:31:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: