These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Kid Trax Fire Truck...Yellow Edition
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  18:47:11  Show Profile
So I'm still in the middle of my Son's Kid Trax Fire Truck Mod, but since most of it is complete, I've been letting my nephew test drive it. Needless to say, he is a bit jealous.

So...Friday I picked up a second Kid Trax Fire Truck. This time it got a little spendy, $20 instead of $15 :-). And this one is the yellow form.

Planned mods on this one aren't as in depth. I need this ready by Christmas!

The only thing I've done so far is replace the front windshield because it was ripped up and looked like...well...you know. Here's a pic although for some reason it doesn't look very good. I can assure you in person, it looks like new:

80.4 KB

It's no longer a toy...

Kid Trax Fire Truck - Red
Kid Trax Fire Truck - Yellow
12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  18:52:38  Show Profile
Here's a side view:

95.73 KB

Here's a back view. Notice anything interesting? The fire hose is a fake! On my son's red edition, there is a pump where you can fill it with water and create pressure, then spray water like a squirt gun. This one just has a tube that goes nowhere and a sticker that shows a bogus water level:

84.85 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  19:01:43  Show Profile
So tonight I was repairing one of the side handles which was half loose and half broken. To unscrew the top of the handle, I needed to remove the top front lid of the fire truck. And I discovered a very simple way to remove the screw caps...

The top front cover of the fire truck is screwed down to the main body and each screw is covered by a small plastic cap. These are VERY hard to remove. The service manual instructs you to,

"Remove the eight screw hole plugs on top by flat head screwdriver."

Good luck! That's how I removed them on my son's fire truck and ended up boogering most of them. No one will really notice but me, but I do and that's what's important right?

So reading the various Kid Trax posts on this forum, some people dig them out like I did, and some people just drill them out, then replace them with I don't know what? Maybe buy new ones from Kid Trax.

So here's my new and simple way to remove them:

There are quite a few screw caps on the top of the fire truck. Inevitably, at least one, is riding high. You should be able to use a small flat head screw driver like the manual says, to carefully pop it up and out. Once you have one, all you need to do is hot glue it upside down on top of another one not yet popped. Give it a minute or two to full harden, then use some plyers to carefully pull it strait up. This works about 90% of the time. If it doesn't just try again and it will work on the second try. Once popped, just peel off the hot glue and you have a perfectly removed screw cap with 0 damage.

Why didn't I think of this earlier???!!!!

38.37 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  20:12:32  Show Profile
wow looks great for 20. I really like the Yellow ones myself the foam trucks here are that color.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

tht117

1 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  12:43:25  Show Profile
Where did you get the yellow fire truck? Or is that a modification to the red one? I have been trying to find a yellow one for my son!
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  15:40:53  Show Profile
Just happened on it on Craigslist. I kinda prefer red, but since I'm giving it to my Nephew, yellow is perfect. My son already has red, now each kid will have a different color. As far as I know, Kid Trax/Safety 1st made both. Seems like the yellow ones are more rare though...

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  22:27:30  Show Profile
So this one's complete. Minor modifications.

Gruber battery, remote battery terminals, upgraded battery wiring (10 gauge) with inline 40A fuse, re-lubed gearboxes, oiled motors, graphite lubed axles, entire truck powerwashed.

All charged up. Next stop, my brother-in-law's house and Christmas morning joy for my nephew!

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: