These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Pimp it out
 KIDTRAX/PACIFIC CYCLE DODGE POLICE LED MOD
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  20:33:56  Show Profile
Hello All. First time poster and modder. Love the forum!

So I live in North Wales, PA. (Philly Suburbs) I just purchased a KidTrax/Pacific Cycle (apparently the same thing) Dodge Charger Police Car from Toys R Us for $250.

I want to add about 12 LED's to make it twinkle. There seems to be scattered bits of info from a dozen or so people about LED lighting for this specific car. I am wondering if we can get everyone who has this vehicle to post in this thread so it makes it easier to find info and communicate. It would be cool is there was a folder/form for each make of car.

Anyway, I'd love to find someone near where I live who is experienced with modding using LED's. I have seen about a dozen of these vehicles with a lighting mod on youtube. The BEST one was pulled down about a month ago for some unknown reason. I am trying to duplicate what I saw on that video because it was amazing. The person was a member on here but does not seem to be any longer. The post was here: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12065

So, does anyone have pictures of their police mods OTHER then from earth view? I want to see exactly how this gets tied from light to switch to battery. (Assumming you didn't use this part: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4x-3-LED-White-Car-Truck-Grille-Flash-Strobe-Light-A163-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef1f988a6QQitemZ270347634854QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

HGBrunnemer

new whiteland
indiana
USA

36 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  21:43:39  Show Profile
My daughter has this car. All of her leds simply run a power wire from the battery to a toggle switch on the dash. The toggle switch turns the strobe function control box on wich powers the leds. Very simple str8 forward wiring. Don't forget an in line fuse close to the battery
Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  05:01:45  Show Profile
Thanks greg. Do you/can you post some pics? What size fuse did you use?
Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  05:08:16  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to wire everything to just one button to turn on all LED's in a specific pattern instead of using (3) of the following control boxes (see thread) with a total of 9 buttons of confusion? I'd like my sons car to light up a specific way/pattern but he's too young to remember or follow directions to press B on one control pad then C on the other and A on the first each time he gets in the car. Would be much easier to simplify this. Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4x-3-LED-White-Car-Truck-Grille-Flash-Strobe-Light-A163-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef1f988a6QQitemZ270347634854QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  07:06:38  Show Profile
I used 3 strobe(LED) controllers in my Firetruck. The patterns are set with a wire at the box. When you turn the power on it always starts out on the selected pattern.

I get you a link.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20166

Drive it like you stole it!........out of somebody's garbage!

Edited by - Taz11 on 12/04/2010 07:09:34
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  08:12:17  Show Profile
You don't have to go with three of those boxes. You can just use one box and then add more leds to it. I bought a box with 6 outputs but I am running 2 x 9 led panels off it, 6 x 3 led panels and then 6 more single leds. So only one push button for on then the 3 flashing choices. So depending on how many lights you have and how many colors that will give you more variety in the flashing.

Or you can go with the Taz setup but it is about 3 times the cost of the cheap setup you listed.

also have you read the info on this guys post under his video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKzmNMyyMms

Does the stock light bar on these already have lights in them?

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability

Edited by - blake711 on 12/04/2010 08:16:44
Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  08:22:03  Show Profile
Taz, I just saw your fire truck project. I wish you were my neighbor! That was AWESOME!!! I'd love to see you do a similar project to the dodge charger police car. :)
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  08:25:58  Show Profile
Taz is in Jersey like an hour away. You could always bribe him but it could easily double the cost of your vehicle paying for his Master Level Modding skills.

Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  11:35:43  Show Profile
Blake, thanks for the idea. That is really want I want. One switch to turn everything on or off and one 3 button control panel to power everything. I am thinking 8 sets of 3 LED's plus headlights and tail lights. I am still uncertain what to do for those. I have seen some people (it appears) use the (1) 3 LED in each light. The problem with that though is the controls don't have an always on feature. Ideally I'd like to have my headlights on all the time until which time my kids hits the strobes which would make them blinks rapidly.

PS- NJ is only good for corn, tomatoes, blueberries, sand, and TAZ!
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  12:47:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pizzasnob

Don't forget TAXES! Highest property taxes in the US!

The advantage to using 3 flashers is so you can run 3 different flash patterns at the same time. Costly....yes somewhat...but not more than the car. I think I have about $125 to $150 in that fire truck. The most I've ever spent on a PW. ...But it is SOOOO cool!

Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  14:08:23  Show Profile
Taz, you've done it again. Now I've changed my mind based on your statement. It makes sense, I DO want at least two different flash patterns for the police car. I want the front bumper red/blue to go on/off on/off but I want the headlights and mirrors leds to flash rapidly. I am going to look up your city on google. I am wonderign how far from me you are. Since I've never heard of it, I am thinking you are way north or south. probably 2 hrs away.
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  14:15:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Taz11

quote:

Don't forget TAXES! Highest property taxes in the US!

The advantage to using 3 flashers is so you can run 3 different flash patterns at the same time. Costly....yes somewhat...but not more than the car. I think I have about $125 to $150 in that fire truck. The most I've ever spent on a PW. ...But it is SOOOO cool!

Oh no I wasn't refering the the parts. Those are cheap its the TAZ customs PW mods that cost. You are the Unique Whipz of power wheels. the Foose of Kids Four Wheelers. The Tesla of Barbie Trail Blazers. Ok I will stop now.

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  15:26:17  Show Profile
Thank you...thank you very much (use you best Elvis voice)

pizzasnob..... I have no problem helping out....just keep in mind that my fire truck took two months to complete.
It was very easy to do.....but took ALOT of time (which I don't have alot of)

Let me know, I'd be happy to take a look at it...and then we'll go from there.

For me....trying to keep the wires neat is the hardest part.

Go to Top of Page

HGBrunnemer

new whiteland
indiana
USA

36 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  19:18:04  Show Profile
I only have one controler for everything. It stays on where ever u set it so thheres no need to press any buttons. I have all my lights wired to the one switch. I can send u pics if u would like.
Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  04:37:38  Show Profile
Greg, if you have pics yes please post. Specifically I am interested in knowing where you placed what and a shot of the battery area so i can see how you placed the switch and fuse, etc.. I am no electrical engineer but I know I can duplicate whatever I see or research enough.

Taz, The firetruck is probably next years project but gives me something to look forward to. I'll save and study your thread like a bible and if I get stuck I will reach out. the only thing I would ask is a list of the inventory I need to get started. Your truck looked so good I would not want to change anything.

So here's a question, where do you guys STORE your toys? I have a 2 car garage but it houses 2 cars. There is some room left where I store a small john deere, snow thrower, grill, and trash cans but that's it. I am trying to think of ways to build a ramp or something to store the PW in the garage. In this way I could store two with one on top of the other. I am not excited about building a shed to house power wheels cars...
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  07:37:28  Show Profile
EVERYWHERE!!!!!

My parts and extra rides are....
1) in my basement
2) in my barn on top of the real cars
3) under a tent behind the barn
4) over the garage in the attic

The rides that are in use are.....
1) in a ($30 clearance sale) metal shed
2) in the wood shed

The really nice modded rides are
1) in the garage.

My wife's car comes in in the winter...The rest are outside.

What you may want is a shelf at the back of your garage. (I use one for waiting projects. Build it so the car's hood will go underneath it. This uses up lots of wasted garage space.

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  07:50:39  Show Profile
PARTS...

I used two "SHO-ME 11.1005SF" LED flashers from Southwest Public Safety.
I also used one "SHO-ME 11.1005" standard flasher for the "wig wag" headlights.(and a few other lights) I have been unable to find this model recently.

The LEDs are "12 volt prewired" from Oznium.com. I packs of 10. My firetruck has 36 of them in red, blue, and white. They also have some cool lighted switches.

I hooked it all together with some 7amp terminal blocks from Allelectronics.com . These make it very easy to change lights or actually move them to another controller if you don't like the result.

Most of the wires for the LED are 8-wire in a sheath. I think it is 18 or 20 gauge....found a hole spool in the dumpster at work
It is basicly similar to phone wire. Anything after the controller can be wired in this. I used heavier wire to power the controller.

Go to Top of Page

HGBrunnemer

new whiteland
indiana
USA

36 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  08:55:48  Show Profile
I store my cars outside and the toys n the garage. The ol lady is ok with that. Lol the switch I mounted in the dash. The controler under the dash. My strobes all run from one controler but flash at seperate times do to how I have them wired. If I can figure out why my comp wont turn on ill post pics for u. Im not sure how to post them from my phone like im doing now. Or if u can send me your email or phone I can send u pics from my phone to them.
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  12:20:44  Show Profile
quote:

So here's a question, where do you guys STORE your toys? I have a 2 car garage but it houses 2 cars. There is some room left where I store a small john deere, snow thrower, grill, and trash cans but that's it. I am trying to think of ways to build a ramp or something to store the PW in the garage. In this way I could store two with one on top of the other. I am not excited about building a shed to house power wheels cars...

I was 8 or so when I went to a friend's house and was SHOCKED that they put CARS in their garage!

Here's the shelf I put in my garage at the new apartment, because we're expected to be able to park the car in there:
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20508

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)

Edited by - Divinar on 12/05/2010 12:28:40
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  20:13:48  Show Profile
that looks great divinar. Still hate that you had to cull the fleet. Is that a volvo your rolling in?

Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  21:06:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by blake711

that looks great divinar. Still hate that you had to cull the fleet. Is that a volvo your rolling in?

Yep - Wife's 2006 Volvo XC AWD

Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  05:42:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by blake711

I agree, looks like you add a second floor to that shelf

Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  08:40:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Taz11

I agree, looks like you add a second floor to that shelf

I thought about it... but it's I'd need 36" clear for a lifted Jeep's roll bar, and that only leaves me with two feet above the top shelf.

I may make another one for pars storage... and a ladder to get up there...

Go to Top of Page

AMHsix

20 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  03:15:18  Show Profile
See mine here:

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21736
Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  04:37:41  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for your input, here are my thoughts thus far. I will be sure to take many pics before, during, and after for the good of newbies like me. I hope to give back as much as I absorbed from this forum:

I may purchase (2) of these which will provide 12 seperate 3 light LEDs on (2) controllers. I am requesting 4 white, 4 red, and 4 blue
http://cgi.ebay.com/6x-3-LED-White-Car-Truck-Flash-Strobe-Light-Set-A436-/380273136200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588a0b924

I already purchased (4) of these. (Superflux) Requested all white.
http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux

* I decided to REMOVE the red/blue covers for the front rambar lights and replace with a red and blue 3LED. I believe it looks better then mouting above the lights or putting lights behind covers.

* I decided to run direct to main 12 volt battery verses buy and dasey chain (2) 6 volt batteries just for lights. If anything I'd prefer to buy a seperate 12 volt battery and run lights on that so that it could double as extra power should the main battery fail. I am just now exploring the idea of buying the second battery as aftermarket and modifiing the plugs on the existing KidTrax battery to work with a new, better charger. I have heard spare Kidtrax batteries are too expensive. I will make sure to buy SLA batteries suited for this purpose.

* I am going to mount (2) rocker switches inline with one to control head lights and the other to be master on for the (2) strobe controllers. The idea is I do not want to give my three year old access to the controllers. (for now) I have a set pattern that I want to stay consistant.

* I am buying a stuffed dog as his K9. Possibly plush 13" shepherd. When sitting dog cannot be wider then 10" wide or 8 1/2" rump to front paws. Ideal height is < 13"
http://www.dogweb.nl/shopping/germanshepherd/plush.html

* I am buying these K9 stickers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270450807385

Things I am unsure of:

Should I put the Superflux headlight in the larger or smaller headlight? The 3LED White will go in the opposite on Flash Mode A.
Not sure which placement has the best effect or if the bright superflux might drown out the other light...

Should I put Superflux in the fogs or will this be overkill? Should I put anything there at all?

Should I put just (1) White Superflux in the mirror to mimick the cruisers high output swivil light? Maybe put this on a rocker switch and he can throw it on when he pulls someone over?

I would love all of your input on these questions as well as any close up pictures of your splicing, mounting jobs, and battery setups.
Go to Top of Page

HGBrunnemer

new whiteland
indiana
USA

36 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  05:01:36  Show Profile
Soundss like u have a good plan. I already beat u to the l8 idea tho. Lol my daughter drives her boxer puppy around in it. I made l8 stickers for her car. There r pics of her driving around her puppy on the projects page
Go to Top of Page

AMHsix

20 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  22:28:20  Show Profile
quote:
* I am going to mount (2) rocker switches inline with one to control head lights and the other to be master on for the (2) strobe controllers. The idea is I do not want to give my three year old access to the controllers. (for now) I have a set pattern that I want to stay consistant.

If power is removed from the strobe controllers you're going to have to press a lettered button to turn it back on. You could mount them next to each other over the stearing wheel, like I did, and glue the power button in the ON position. Then paint the 2 lettered buttons that you want to use. A 3 y/o should be able to learn to click a switch and push 2 colored buttons.

quote:
Should I put the Superflux headlight in the larger or smaller headlight? The 3LED White will go in the opposite on Flash Mode A.
Not sure which placement has the best effect or if the bright superflux might drown out the other light...

I'd put superfluxes in both, and connect the smaller ones to the strobe controller. During my quick search over the same problem I found the inner lights are usually the ones to flash on real cars.

quote:
Should I put Superflux in the fogs or will this be overkill? Should I put anything there at all?

I'd put red & blue in them, Superflux or maybe 5mm, which ever might reflect off the chrome better, and connect them to the strobe controller.

I have a red and a blue 1x3 lights left over from my car, and was thinking about puting them down there, but I don't want to install them unprotected, and I think the lens would make it look dumb.

I'd like to know how people wired the lights to the mirrors so I could do that. I think my car needs a bit more color to it, and I think mirror lights would solve it.

quote:
Should I put just (1) White Superflux in the mirror to mimick the cruisers high output swivil light? Maybe put this on a rocker switch and he can throw it on when he pulls someone over?

I don't have any Superfluxes, but I don't think the throw a "spot light". If it's just for looks, as an onlooker, go for it. If you really want a spot light buy one of these at Target, $15, and figure a way to mount it:

quote:
I would love all of your input on these questions as well as any close up pictures of your splicing, mounting jobs, and battery setups.

I didn't do any splicing, just some wire cutting, stripping, and crimping. I'll eventually draw and MS paint of what I crimped and a little write up about my car in my thread.

You didn't like how I did my battery.

I put white lights in my tail lights. My wife says they look pink. If I had red LEDs, that's what I'd put there. I also put some aluminum foil, shiny side out, to reflect the light. If the aluminum is rinkled, it'll reflect the rinkles.

Also, from a distance, like 100 feet, the lightbar that comes with the car is weak compared to the installed strobe lights. If I was to go nuts, I'd put four 1x3 white lights in there, 2 on each side between the LEDs already in there, so you could see them well.

While going nuts, I'd also put 2 white 1x3 lights around a "license plate", and have them flash opposite the brake lights. I don't know if Chargers do this, but the Crown Vics do. Chargers don't do this, they have red & blue in the back window. So placing some lights on the trunk, right behind the seats, would be better.

The siren in my video sounds like it's pretty loud. When driving, it isn't. Maybe painting, connecting, and mounting this to the car's ram bar would be cool:

The local Sheriffs Crown Vics have them, I don't know if any Chargers have them.

Edited by - AMHsix on 12/12/2010 08:49:02
Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  12:37:13  Show Profile
I received my Superflux last Friday. I will be installing them next week along with the other LED's. Will take lot's of pics. Anyone else in the process of this upgrade at the moment?
Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  10:00:32  Show Profile
I will probably need extra wire to extend my 30 LED's from controllers to final placement. Where should I buy and what wire size should be used for these low power draw LED's? What types of wire holders have you used to keep the work neat and tidy?
Go to Top of Page

AMHsix

20 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  21:11:19  Show Profile
I used 4" zip ties to hold wires together, and these to attach them to the car:

The wire was too thin to secure itself in the Command hooks, so I used 2 next to each other in reversed positions.

I used 18 gauge wire to connect my battery to my controller and switch, I think that is unnecessarily thick for the LEDs though. I'd go ask Radio Shack what they have for wire in the same size that came with the strobe LEDs. I keep pictureing audio/speaker wire for some reason.

Edited by - AMHsix on 12/21/2010 21:18:49
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  22:21:51  Show Profile
AMHsiz Did you use that siren? Got a link for it? How many DB is it? IS it enough to get in trouble with? I need something for a project I Am doing now.

Go to Top of Page

AMHsix

20 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  22:44:22  Show Profile
No, I didn't use it on my car. The boy next door had one when I was a kid. It's made to be put on your bike. It's not extremely loud, as I remember.

Not the exact same thing as pictured above, but a simular one on amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Siren-Yellow-Horn-Bicycle/dp/B000UAUEI8

How I did my wiring:

Edited by - AMHsix on 12/22/2010 21:36:45
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  23:10:36  Show Profile
Is this the same thing? Does it have a push button and mic both? http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Super-Siren-Bicycle-Microphone/dp/B000AO9PA2

Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  05:28:15  Show Profile
Purpose of fuse? What size is appropriate?

This may sound like a dumb question but how do I determine the size of a fuse that is needed for my LED setup? I think that my Kidtrax battery comes with a built in fuse but am uncertain? Does anyone know? Assumming that it does, does that mean I don't need to add another fuse? I assume the purpose of putting a fuse inline between the battery and my LED's is to protect the LED's from a surge? Should I figure out what the LED's draw in terms of AMPS and then buy a fuse that is just slightly higher than that? Thanks all!
Go to Top of Page

AMHsix

20 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  06:45:22  Show Profile
Blake711, I have no more idea then you do. Sorry I can't help.

Pizzasnob, I didn't use any fuses. I told the guy at Radio Shack what I was doing and asked him if I needed a fuse. I burnt out a strobe controller doing something stupid. He said it wasn't really necessary.
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  09:57:31  Show Profile
I Dont' know if those controllers say what they are rated for but since all the wires are so small. I would think a 3amp should be just fine. That is what I have all my lights on my kids vehicles fused at.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: