These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Motors/Gearing/Drivetrain
 Gears stripped?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lhousesoccer

8 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  13:34:58  Show Profile
My son has a Ford F150 (see pic below), that seems to have stripped gears. I think it's because he goes fast in forward gear, then slams it into reverse without stopping! When he tries to drive uphill, I can hear it skipping, and then it will just stop and grind. Seems to still go OK on flat ground but not as well as used to.

Is this trashed? Or is there a way to fix it?

Thanks !

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  13:54:15  Show Profile
You just need some replacement gear boxes. Should be 16T but look at this thread to confirm. http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2206

Just post a wanted add in the for sale section and someone will hook you up. What state are you in? maybe someone close bye will have parts.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  15:34:23  Show Profile
You hyave to break your driver of that habit. It will destroy the new ones very quickly.

Drive it like you stole it!........out of somebody's garbage!
Go to Top of Page

hootienchyna
Advanced Modder

Ronkonkoma
New York 11779

2590 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  16:19:01  Show Profile  Visit hootienchyna's Homepage
yes it has the 16t gearboxes with the larger axle hole.
00968-2818 listed in my store
http://mltoyz.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_23&products_id=223

visit www.mltoyz.com for used parts
Go to Top of Page

lhousesoccer

8 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  20:48:13  Show Profile
Looks like you guys know what you're talking about! Thanks for the reply and part number. Someone suggested putting two new ones in, instead of just the one. So, my next question is, are these fairly easy to do? I'm no mechanic, but I can pretty much figure most things out. I'm a do-it-myselfer most of the time. I haven't torn one of these things apart before though, so just wanted to ask if it's pretty straight forward? I haven't looked too close yet, but is there a way to easily get at the gear box area? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  22:11:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lhousesoccer

Looks like you guys know what you're talking about! Thanks for the reply and part number. Someone suggested putting two new ones in, instead of just the one. So, my next question is, are these fairly easy to do? I'm no mechanic, but I can pretty much figure most things out. I'm a do-it-myselfer most of the time. I haven't torn one of these things apart before though, so just wanted to ask if it's pretty straight forward? I haven't looked too close yet, but is there a way to easily get at the gear box area? Thanks!

I'm not familiar with that particular vehicle, but these are generally pretty simple to change. Usually, the worst part is dealing with the push-nuts, but 'gameboy' made a FAQ for a technique that works very well...

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3152

You should only need to remove the push-nut from one side, then slide the axle out from the other side.

(pics link to threads)

Fast, Reliable, and Cheap... Pick any two.
Go to Top of Page

dozer
Expert Modder

Milton
Ontario
Canada

789 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  05:58:41  Show Profile
I've tried a bunch of different things and the pliers work the best.
the goal is to bend the inner tabs away from the axle by squeezing the outside.
And be gentle with the motors/wire connection. Too much tugging and they weaken.

Don't think outside the box.
Think outside the sphere that the box is floating in.
Go to Top of Page

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  07:01:58  Show Profile
The monster traction does not use the push caps on the rear. Just on the front.
On your ford f-150 you will need to remove the center cap from the hubcap with a small screwdriver prying against the fake lug nuts(BE GENTLE). You will only need to remove the one wheel. When you get the center cap removed you will see a keeper pin. Remove the pin and your wheel is ready to be removed. Then you will see your gearbox. Slide the rear axle out for easy access to both sides.

Edited by - PW warehouse on 11/21/2010 07:05:54
Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  11:16:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PW warehouse

The monster traction does not use the push caps on the rear. Just on the front.

Ah, good to know.

Thanks PW warehouse!

(pics link to threads)

Fast, Reliable, and Cheap... Pick any two.
Go to Top of Page

bad_busaboy

Wollongong
NSW
Australia

3 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  07:19:24  Show Profile
I have the same problem, different vehicle have a 12v 2 seater spideman jeep, I don't know who makes them, it's striped one of the gears in the gearbox, it has two gearboxes one on each wheel,can anybody help me with the manufacturer, its not an old car by the look of it I don't want to throw away the whole car for the sake of a gear because my son loves it.
one of the peg perego gear box is very similar, but this is def not a peg perego vehicle.

50.72 KB

25.95 KB

Edited by - bad_busaboy on 11/26/2010 07:26:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: