These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Introductions
 New PW Jeep Wrangler owner =)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toptanti

Mesa
AZ

2 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  14:54:27  Show Profile
Just wanted to introduce myself.

Purchasing my son a used PW Jeep Wrangler (74440) from craigslist in a couple hours.

Owner says it has been well kept and in great condition which shows in the pictures.

Only problem is the batteries may no longer be good. I'll find out when I try charging them tonight. If new batteries ARE needed, I was looking at the Gruber batteries as recommended on the site...the 12v12ah I believe. Any idea if it will fit with little to no modification?

Being my first PW...is there anything in particular I should check/inspect?

I plan on removing the decals and giving it a custom paint job as the first mod for now.

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  07:50:19  Show Profile
Welcome to the site. Thats a very nice looking and obviously barely used 1998 jeep wrangler. Not sure I could paint on a jeep of that era in that kind of condition.

Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  12:18:47  Show Profile
I'd have to agree with PW warehouse - that looks like a really clean ride. Even good paint will chip fairly easily, and the underlying red will show through.

As far as batteries go; Those Jeeps have a TON of room for adding batteries, especially under the seat. Aftermarket SLA batteries will not have the proprietary connector that the vehicle has, or the built-in breaker that PWs batteries have, so (assuming the PWs battery is no good) you are left with four choices:

1 (easiest, leaves vehicle in-tact, but most expensive, and provides no improvements): Replace the original PWs battery with a new PWs battery, and charge with the PWs charger.

2 (a little more difficult, but cheaper than option 1, and provides the most improvement, but does not leave the vehicle completely in-tact): Replace the original battery with an after-market SLA that has a higher Amp-Hour (AH) rating, for a longer ride time, and purchase a good quality smart charger (the Schumacher SC-600a is a favorite around here). Cut the connector off of the vehicle and crimp on a fuse holder and spade connectors to attach the new battery.

3a (a tiny bit more difficult than option 2, and provides the most improvement, and leaves the vehicle completely in-tact): Replace the original battery with an after-market SLA that has a higher Amp-Hour (AH) rating, for a longer ride time, and purchase a good quality smart charger. Leave the connector on the vehicle and cut the battery connector from the bad PWs battery to crimp on a fuse holder and spade connectors to attach the new battery.
3b (optionally): You can also cut the connector from the PWs charger to attach to your new charger, so connecting the vehicle or charger is just like it was from the factory, only using a better battery and charger.

4 (a little more difficult than option 1, but cheaper and easier than options 2 and 3, and provides the some improvement, and leaves the vehicle completely in-tact): Replace the original battery with an after-market SLA that has a higher Amp-Hour (AH) rating, for a longer ride time. Leave the connector on the vehicle and cut the battery connector from the bad PWs battery to crimp on a fuse holder and spade connectors to attach the new battery. Charge with the PWs charger.

Hope all of that makes sense.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the site!

(pics link to threads)

Fast, Reliable, and Cheap... Pick any two.

Edited by - jparthum on 11/21/2010 12:19:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: