These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Motors/Gearing/Drivetrain
 need help with 1st time mod of jeep hurricane
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shardig

indian trail
nc
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  21:02:26  Show Profile
can anyone help me get more speed and torque switching out just the gearboxes of a PW Jeep Hurricane? I had read that I could use the gaucho gearboxes? Is that true? If so,where can I find these gaucho gear boxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

timmbo23
Journeyman Modder

104 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  21:09:50  Show Profile
Hurricane has a great gearbox to begin with, lots of torque. I would bump up to 18v, and if you want even more speed and torque, upgrade to the HPI GT 550 motors.

PW Ford F150 (2-Seat) - 18v / Dual HPI GT 550 Motors / LED Headlights
PW Kawasaki Ninja KFX - 18v / Dual HPI GT 550 Motors / LED Headlights
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  21:10:26  Show Profile
A gaucho gearbox isn't a strait swap out. It would require some modding for sure since the wheel drivers are different. I don't recall seeing anyone do that but I am sure it could be done. The easiest way to increase both speed and torque is to go to 18v and stay with your stock 13t gearboxes. You can go to a higher tooth gearbox to increase your top speed but you will loose torque with each increase in tooth count.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

hootienchyna
Advanced Modder

Ronkonkoma
New York 11779

2590 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  05:48:43  Show Profile  Visit hootienchyna's Homepage
actually the hurricane gearbox is the weak point. it will break on 12v and for sure on 18v. i have more customers looking for replacements for the hurricane than any other ride out there

visit www.mltoyz.com for used parts
Go to Top of Page

Miami Hurricane
Journeyman Modder

Coral Springs
Florida
USA

199 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  07:44:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hootienchyna

actually the hurricane gearbox is the weak point. it will break on 12v and for sure on 18v. i have more customers looking for replacements for the hurricane than any other ride out there

Yep! I'm one of them. Thankfully blstriker had one for me to replace the broken gearbox on my daughter's hurricane. But I'd love to have a spare or two for the next time one breaks. Y

Shardig, you might want to talk to blstriker about the gearbox change because he did that in his hurricane. (I believe he is using 19T). And if you DO decide to swap out gearboxes and would like to sell your 13Ts, let me know because I would be interested in buying them.

Jeep Hurricane - Blue
Jeep Hurricane - Green
Cat Skid Steer Loader
Peg Perego John Deere Buck (18v)
Go to Top of Page

shardig

indian trail
nc
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  06:41:28  Show Profile
Thanks for all your help. I guess the best thing is for me to just replace my broken gearbox. Does anyone have a #7 13T gearbox for sale? If so, how much? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: