These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Kid Trax Fire Truck
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  10:29:23  Show Profile
So I picked up a Kid Trax Fire Truck at a garage sale a couple weeks ago for $15. It's actually in pretty good condition. All the electronics work, except that the battery is shot and only holds a charge for about 10 minutes. It's missing the microphone, the axe, and the shovel. I found this forum and plan to go "Tool Time" on it.

I ordered a replacement axe from MLTOYZ. Still hunting for a shovel.

I ordered a new 12v 12ah battery from Gruber and a Schumacher 600a charger. I plan to rewire the new battery in the stock location using a 40A inline fuse and external battery terminals.

I also ordered 6 sets of 22LED red strobes and 6 sets of 3LED red strobes, each with their own controllers off eBay. Also ordered a new 5-way siren with microphone.

The plan is to move the existing LEDs down to the lower red reflectors on the front of the truck. The 6 sets of 22LEDs will go in the 6 red lights on top. The 6 sets of 3LEDs will go to: 2 in the middle red reflectors on the front, 2 on the side somewhere, and two on the back bumper.

I just completed taking most of the truck apart. Kid Trax sent me a PDF of the Service Manual which helped A LOT in taking it apart. There were some confusing areas...

Send me your personal email if anyone would like a copy of the Service Manual.

Pictures to follow once I figure out how to include them...

It's no longer a toy...

Kid Trax Fire Truck - Red
Kid Trax Fire Truck - Yellow
12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  10:35:10  Show Profile
The siren sounds interesting. Do you have any more info on it?

You can never have too many lights

Drive it like you stole it!........out of somebody's garbage!

Edited by - Taz11 on 10/19/2010 10:35:40
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  10:36:23  Show Profile
I realize that I'm putting a rediculous amount of lights on this thing. So I ordered a second 12v 12ah battery and plan to install it under the cover in front of the dash. It will be used strictly for powering the LED strobes and siren. I also plan to add some additional external battery terminals so I don't have to take the truck apart each time I charge it.

I assume that will be enough battery for powering those? I just want to make sure he can play with them as long as the battery runs the drive motors (I'm guessing about an hour?). We're taking 150 strobe LEDs plus the siren... LOL, I'm starting to get jealous of my son.

Another question... Is there a way to charge two identical 12v 12ah Gruber batterys with the Schumacher 600a charger? Or do I need two chargers?

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  10:45:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Taz11

Yeah, here's a link on youtube which demos it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Nz8OTHT2Q

Got it for $21 including shipping on eBay. I wanted a siren that sounded as real as possible, but wasn't so loud it hurt his hearing. This one claims to be 300db, but reviews say it's closer to 200db. Also, it has a volume control so you can turn it up or down as needed. If he abuses it, I can always hot glue the volume control or something to keep it lower.

I found about 5 different inexpensive sirens on eBay, and this one sounded the most realistic. Most of the sirens for sale sound like a toy.

When I actually receive it, I'll let you know how it sounds in person. My expectations are high.

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  10:50:22  Show Profile
Yes...and no. You can charge 2 12volt together by hooking them up in parallel. (2 pos together and 2 neg together) However, They should be equally discharged to have the best results.

You can run the firetruck motors and lights off the same batteries. If you hook them together in parallel you will get 2x the run time (minus the light draw) and they will discharge equally. You can then charge them through the same connector.

Make sure you hook them in parallel, series connection will give you 24volts and will likely fry something.

Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  11:13:12  Show Profile
A couple posts have noted that hooking the lights to the same battery as the motor will cause a significant dimming of the lights when the motor runs. That's why I was planning to wire the lights to a totally separate battery.

How signicant do you think the light dimming would be? Might it also affect the siren?

Thinking maybe the best bet is to keep them separate and use two chargers?

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  11:26:27  Show Profile
LEDs will not dim. My Magica uses standard bulbs and they don't dim much until the battery is ready to dump.

Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  14:06:50  Show Profile
Here's a couple pics of the rig. I've already taken some of it apart.

96.71 KB

95.45 KB

86.83 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  14:10:58  Show Profile
I re-wired the 8 LEDs from the front 4 red lights. I put 4 into each of the two lower reflectors. There were a reduculous amount of LED wires, so I used some plugs from Radio Shack to make it easier if I ever need to take it apart in the future.

95.41 KB

70.6 KB

73.62 KB

87.55 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  14:30:42  Show Profile
Got the new 12v 12ah battery from Gruber all wired up. I put the two external charging posts in the circles on the rear right side, so they kind of blend in. Wired the battery on a 3-way and added a 40A fuse to the positive lead going to the circuit board. Everything is operating perfectly. Now just need to wait for the LEDs and the Siren to arrive.

93.23 KB

98.82 KB

73.47 KB

87.36 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  14:12:13  Show Profile
Here's the vehicle owner. He's a very demanding customer... Might be another year before he can actually reach the pedal. Hopefully I'll be done with the Mod by then.

54.23 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

ms1120
Senior Modder

M-Town
Georgia
USA

1464 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  19:35:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SigEp

quote:
Originally posted by Taz11

Yeah, here's a link on youtube which demos it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Nz8OTHT2Q

Got it for $21 including shipping on eBay. I wanted a siren that sounded as real as possible, but wasn't so loud it hurt his hearing. This one claims to be 300db, but reviews say it's closer to 200db. Also, it has a volume control so you can turn it up or down as needed. If he abuses it, I can always hot glue the volume control or something to keep it lower.

I found about 5 different inexpensive sirens on eBay, and this one sounded the most realistic. Most of the sirens for sale sound like a toy.

When I actually receive it, I'll let you know how it sounds in person. My expectations are high.

WAIT WAIT Wait.....Loss of (Death) of hearing tissue occurs at 180db. The loundest possible sound is 194db. Someone is telling a fib or your kid wont hear anything after he pushes the button

Fixing things that arent broken...and making them cool
Go to Top of Page

thebigdoghimself
Journeyman Modder

romeoville
il
USA

102 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  19:59:36  Show Profile
$15!!!

Holy cow! that was a STEAL!

I have one of those sirens in my sons police truck it is LOUD.

I just taped completely over the hown and it tones it down nicely.

Will prewarn you that they are CHEAP!

the volume knob broke off after only a few weeks and the connector that hooks up the microphone to the unit failed after another week or so.

The wire was an easy fix just cut the connector off and spliced the wires together, the volume knob on the other hand broke on the board so the only solution was to just leave it alone and fill the opening where the knob was with a bit of hot melt glue to keep little hands from putting objects in there.

I will also say that I started having some ground loop isolation noise after a while but I honestly don't know if that is due to the 3 batteries I am running.

Lastly volume is not as important as you would think in fact I keep turning the volume DOWN because when he is riding he can't hear when I scream CAR!!! (my kids ride in the street)
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  08:07:32  Show Profile

Yeah, the guy had it marked at $20, but said I had to be an electrical engineer to get it working again. I'm no electrical engineer, but I've soldered a few wires. So talked him down to $15 and figured it was worth that to try and fix it. I had no idea till I found this forum how easy it would be.

I also agree on the siren volume. My worry is that it would be too loud, not too quiet. The stock siren is rediculously quiet. I was just looking for something cheap but louder. But the last thing I want to do is hurt his ears. So I'll probably just pick a low volume and hot glue the volume dial.

I'll have to be careful with it. I know all this @#$% from China is cheap and may break. I can always order a replacement if I can't fix it.

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  08:08:18  Show Profile
Lights and Siren showed up yesterday, so hope to finish the truck off this weekend!

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  09:16:51  Show Profile
Ok, got to working on the truck again this past weekend. Installed some of the strobes, controllers, and even a license plate. lol

Here's some rear strobes I installed in the rear bumper:

84.07 KB

Here's strobes I installed in the upper front red reflectors:

76.25 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  09:30:07  Show Profile
I installed the controller for the siren between the ignition and the gps:

94.14 KB

Strobe controllers were installed stealth just under the gps:

80.57 KB

76.52 KB

Controller wires, siren wires etc. come up under the dash out of view:

91.96 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  10:49:02  Show Profile
Just an update for your earlier question. On Halloween night my son ran ours so dead I had to push it(on asphalt) to a safe place for a battery swap. The LEDs/strobes were still flashin'

Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  11:54:54  Show Profile
How many batteries were you running and how long did it last (the drive motors that is)?

Estimates on this forum appear to be about 1 hour with one 12v and 2 hours with two 12v wired in parallel. The one thing that concerns me a little more than the LEDs is the siren. I'm curious how much that would suck. I think I'm going to wire everything into one battery and see how long it will go running siren, motors, and LEDs. Then decide if I want to wire in a second battery.

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  12:55:49  Show Profile
I was running a set of stock 6v 9ah PW batteries and then switched to a set of 6v 12ah Gruber batteries. We ran for about an hour to an hour and a half. with two kids in it on some real steep hills. Asphalt and grass. I had to put in a 3rd set for the last few minutes back to the house.

Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  11:10:34  Show Profile
Didn't have much time this weekend, so only was able to install the front lights and siren.

Here's how I installed the 22 LED stobes in each of the 4 front top lights. It was simple really. Just drilled a hole to allow for the wire connector, then hot glued them down. They fit perfectly under the red housings.

71.4 KB

60.67 KB

80.38 KB

81.35 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  11:12:50  Show Profile
Installed the siren under the front and ran the wires up behind the dash.

75.82 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  11:19:23  Show Profile
I had two 3 LED stobes left. So I added them to the left and right side just above the front bumper. This way each side of the truck will have bright pointing red strobes to help cars see him.

Although when this thing is lit up, I doubt anyone will have trouble seeing him...

62.28 KB

Here's the finished front including the side strobes. I need to replace those window vinyl stickers with something. Any ideas?

99.31 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

12vwiz
Expert Modder

Mobile
AL
USA

505 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  14:19:02  Show Profile
quote:

I need to replace those window vinyl stickers with something. Any ideas?

Of all the stickers I removed on my fire truck ,the windshield sticker was the easiest, it seems most of them start pealing off on there own. I laid new vinyl on mine, found at a local sign shop. Some of the other members simply tape it off and paint using Krylon Fusion or some other type plastic bonding paint, which works great too.

Nice job!

My first mod - john deer gator On Hold
Peg Gator LHR shifter Wiring diagram
Big Foot - driver relocation In progress
Go to Top of Page

grkexpress
Apprentice Modder

Niagara Falls

Canada

67 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  09:32:20  Show Profile
quote:

Didn't have much time this weekend, so only was able to install the front lights and siren.

Here's how I installed the 22 LED stobes in each of the 4 front top lights. It was simple really. Just drilled a hole to allow for the wire connector, then hot glued them down. They fit perfectly under the red housings.

81.35 KB

Hey Sig, first off....your project is looking great !! Awesome work.
I too, have been restoring a kid trax fire truck and decided to go insane with the lights. I purchased the exact same 22 LED lights for the front & rear lights.

One piece of advice you may want to consider....Once I put my LED's inside the red bezel, I noticed that you could only see them flashing if you were looking from the top. So I decided to take the housing off and the "egg carton" dividers inside the lens, exposing the bulbs greatly. Then hot glued them in place. Doing it this way ensures you see all the lights no matter which way you look at them, eye level as well. Just food for thought.

I've enclosed a pic of the board, exposing all the lights.
I've been swamped as of late and haven't been able to work on mine, but hopefully mine will be all set for Christmas.

Again, great job you've done.

83.96 KB
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  09:52:34  Show Profile
That's a great idea, thanks! I think I'll try that this weekend.

One thing I also noticed, is that when I hot glued the lights into the housing, it held well. But when I snapped the housing back into the lid, the glue came loose and the leds were loose inside. So what I did was pop the base in, hot glue the leds to the base, then just hot glue the red cover down rather than screw it down.

Did you run into this issue? If so, how did you get around it?

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

grkexpress
Apprentice Modder

Niagara Falls

Canada

67 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  10:12:21  Show Profile
I used 2 circular Velcro pieces for each light. Goes on tight and stays tight. And if you ever need to remove them, it's a snap.
Go to Top of Page

cmhunt

Edmonton
AB
Canada

20 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  10:05:06  Show Profile
Let's see some videos of all the lights and the siren!!
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  10:00:33  Show Profile
Still finishing up the wiring before I post a video, but I'm getting close. The last part I need to install is a fuse box and I have one on order. Got the idea from fatkid4130 on this thread:

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15182

Basically I'm going to run my secondary battery line though a 30A fuse, then each of my 3 accessories through 5A fuses. Everything else is wired and tested to be working, just waitint on the fuse box.

This weekend I took grkexpress's advice and redid my six main lights. I opened them up, took the LED boards out of their housings and reinstalled them without the housings. My test showed a HUGE improvement. Great idea grkesxpress.

88.52 KB

78.08 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  10:05:47  Show Profile
I've also been reading up on replacement treads for these vehicles. One issue with mine is that the rubber tread strip in the middle is totally worn down. I thought about the bike treads, but they were pricy and most had tread which was just too knobby. I was looking for something more like a street tire since this won't be going offroad.

I found some rubber matting at OSH which you can buy by the foot. I cut it into 4" strips and staple gunned it on the wheels. Looks good and I think it will make a big difference with grip. And it only cost me about $12 for all 4 tires.

93.92 KB

89.59 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  09:22:34  Show Profile
So this weekend I was still waiting for the fuse box, figured I might as well take apart the gearboxes and re-grease them. They've been kinda loud. Here's what they looked like before:

82.22 KB

Got them all cleaned up

59.13 KB

I re-greased them with some white lithium grease from OSH. Learned something very important, don't use too much grease... I got the first gearbox all done and I could even turn it. So I had to pull it apart and wipe out most of the grease. Works great now, nice and quiet.

I also cleaned up the axles and added some dry graphite lube. Wheels are spinning great now.

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  09:27:02  Show Profile
I tried fixing the stickers this weekend as well. One of the window stickers is ripped and all of them are scratched, so I ordered some new vinyl (black chrome). The only other sticker that is bad is the dashboard with the gauges.

I tried a suggestion by many people on this forum of using the heatgun. It worked great on the window and some stickers off the tot rod, but when I tried it on the dash sticker, the sticker itself separated and split into a clear front sticker and a rear design sticker. Needless to say I won't be able to re-install it.

Be VERY careful removing stickers with a heat gun if you want to re-install them later.

Thinking I might try and scan the design and print a new one on my inkjet. I ordered some clear vinyl sticker sheets off eBay. We'll see how it goes.

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2010 :  10:52:13  Show Profile
Finally got the parts and finished the wiring. Here's the fusebox I installed. A 30A for the power coming from the battery, and a 5A for each of the 3 accessories.

73.22 KB

I drilled up into the open area under the front lights. I used a couple rubber caps to protect the wires from the screw ends.

68.36 KB

And last, I added a switch to control all 3 accessories. In reading the other posts, I was afraid my son might leave one of the accessories on and drain the battery. So now he has a nice big red switch right above the ignition. He turns off the ignition, turns off the switch, and he's good to go.

63.89 KB

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

cmhunt

Edmonton
AB
Canada

20 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2010 :  19:02:10  Show Profile
Video time?
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2010 :  19:22:01  Show Profile
Lol, not quite yet.

I still need to replace the window stickers and somehow "create" a new dashboard sticker. My niece and nephew are coming over on Friday to test drive it. If it survives, I'll finish the stickers and post a video. It's my first mod so it's gotta be a good one.

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  19:58:33  Show Profile
WOW! What a great thread! I am researching my first LED mod to my new dodge charger police car but already super excited to duplicate what you have done. Guess that will be my project next christmas and I'll need it to catch up to speed to where you guys are.
Excellent post. Can't wait to see this thing twinkle!!
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  09:57:39  Show Profile
So over the weekend, I replaced all the window stickers. Looks like new now. I also started working on a new Dashboard sticker. I found a second fire truck Friday which I'm planning to give to my nephew for Christmas. It had the same problem with it's dashboard sticker, big bubbles, lines, peeling, etc. So this time I was much more careful with the heat gun and removed it successfully.

I scanned it into Photoshop and spent about an hour cleaning up the image. I have it saved as BMP and PSD if anyone is interested. It's a large file though (12mb)...

I bought some special vinyl clear sticker paper off eBay which you are supposed to just print, cut, and stick. I used one of the sheets and printed the dash. It actually looked REALLY nice. The only smallish issue is that the Dash is slightly wider than 11" so in the scan, it cuts off a little on each side (not really noticable). I waited about an hour to make sure the ink was dry and touched the edge. It smeared immediately. I then waited overnight and re-tested, and again it smeared.

So...I picked up a bottle of Krylon Preserve It Gloss spray which I plan to test as soon as it stops raining.

I also printed the image at work using our color laser printer. I again waited an hour and there is no smearing. So looks like laser "may" work better. I do notice though that the quality of the image (1200dpi) on the ink jet is better than the (no adjustable quality) laser image...

I'll let you know which one I end up going with.

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

Miami Hurricane
Journeyman Modder

Coral Springs
Florida
USA

199 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  14:32:38  Show Profile
Very cool. It looks like you're starting your own fire department station! The only thing missing is an ambulance. http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6037

Jeep Hurricane - Blue
Jeep Hurricane - Green
Cat Skid Steer Loader
Peg Perego John Deere Buck (18v)
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  14:58:15  Show Profile
Well, I tried printing on the clear vinyl sticker paper. While it looked great on the backing, once removed from the backing, the sticker was transparent. When I stuck it on the dash, it showed the gray dash color through the sticker and made the whole sticker super dark. I tried to get some info from the eBay seller on how to get around this issue, but they were extremely unhelpful and would only refund if I mailed everything back. That would cost the same as the paper itself, so I got $@#%ed.

Would suggest not buying from eBay dealer "conteducaprincipe".

So thinking of ways I might salvage this situation, I might pick up some white sticker paper. I can print on the clear, stick that to the white, then stick the whole mess on the dash. lol Talk about modification!

I'll update if this works...

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  21:21:35  Show Profile
Finally...here is my completion video:

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

TerryInLeesburg
Journeyman Modder

Leesburg
VA
USA

133 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  08:18:55  Show Profile
Why not just paint the dash white, then stick the sticker over it?

Just learning...
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  12:00:39  Show Profile
That would work. I'm trying to limit "perminant" changes to the truck. Once I paint the dash, there is no going back. Plus, it would have to be painted exactly where the sticker goes, seems a little tricky.

I picked up some white sticker paper. I'm going to try that tonight.

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

Miami Hurricane
Journeyman Modder

Coral Springs
Florida
USA

199 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  13:20:12  Show Profile
Have you seen the vinyl decals made by this MPWer:

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16639

Jeep Hurricane - Blue
Jeep Hurricane - Green
Cat Skid Steer Loader
Peg Perego John Deere Buck (18v)
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  14:32:04  Show Profile
No, I hadn't checked out that thread. I'm hoping I don't have to buy them. I'd like to try and figure out how to do them myself.

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page

cmhunt

Edmonton
AB
Canada

20 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  20:09:39  Show Profile
Looks great. I wish I could get my hands on a firetruck like that.
Go to Top of Page

SigEp
Journeyman Modder

San Ramon
CA
USA

100 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  22:23:58  Show Profile
So I tried out the white sticker backing and that worked. But also found a new issue that when laser printed, the ink sometimes flakes off. Doesn't seem to happen with inkjet, sprayed with preservative.

So final solution appears to be:

Sticker going on white surface - Print on injet, spray with Krylon Preserve It and apply directly to the surface.

Sticker going on any other color surface - Print on inkjet, spray with Krylon Preserve It, apply to white sticker paper, then apply to surface.

Both of these of course are if you are using clear sticker paper. If using white sticker paper, you're good to go.

Hope that helps.

Signing off on this project finally!

It's no longer a toy...

12v Police Tot Rod
Gaucho Grande
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: