These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Batteries and Wiring
 Foot Pedal Throttle (Hall Effect) replacement
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lightning

7 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  16:22:28  Show Profile
Ok... I have done a considerable amount of reading, and wanted to ask for some help. Is there an aftermarket replacement for the Foot Pedal Throttle Cable (Hall Effect) that TNC sells because the rep on the phone told me that it would be 120+ days out before they would POSSIBLY get more in stock. I am also ok with the idea of building my own variable throttle so if you have any plans or know of any that would be GREAT! Thanks a lot for the help!

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  16:28:03  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Back in the day before TNC even HAD the foot throttle, people used to modify a thumb throttle to work with a PW pedal. Do a quick search. I know I've seen it on here.

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado
Polaris 2X ; Polaris 700; Xtreme Machine ; 12v Super 6 Firerock
Gaucho Grande; Tinkerbell Ninja; 12v S6 Trail Rider; Brute Force 24v
Go to Top of Page

hotrodtodd
Expert Modder

Delhi
OH
USA

985 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  13:25:19  Show Profile  Visit hotrodtodd's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning

Ok... I have done a considerable amount of reading, and wanted to ask for some help. Is there an aftermarket replacement for the Foot Pedal Throttle Cable (Hall Effect) that TNC sells because the rep on the phone told me that it would be 120+ days out before they would POSSIBLY get more in stock. I am also ok with the idea of building my own variable throttle so if you have any plans or know of any that would be GREAT! Thanks a lot for the help!

Might try here http://www.electricscooterparts.com/throttles.html

Lifted Metal Frame JeepPower Drivers Trike
Bigfoot
Worksite Gator
Driveway Racer
Handy Manny 6v quad
Go to Top of Page

Ryum

32 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  13:38:38  Show Profile
"Hall Effect Foot Pedal Throttle
For Chinese-made electric scooters, bicycles, pocket bikes, mini choppers and go karts. Wire colors: Red, Black, and Green. 49" long control cable with connector at end. "
$23.95

that would work with a power wheel?
And to make sure I understand, a "hall effect" throttle is basically like a go-cart's or car's gas pedal where speed will increase as you push down harder instead of the basic complete on / off and wheels stopped that is standard in a power wheel?
Go to Top of Page

hotrodtodd
Expert Modder

Delhi
OH
USA

985 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  13:56:56  Show Profile  Visit hotrodtodd's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ryum

For Chinese-made electric scooters, bicycles, pocket bikes, mini choppers and go karts. Wire colors: Red, Black, and Green. 49" long control cable with connector at end. "
$23.95

And to make sure I understand, a "hall effect" throttle is basically like a go-cart's or car's gas pedal where speed will increase as you push down harder instead of the basic complete on / off and wheels stopped that is standard in a power wheel?

Yes thats how they work,but you must use them with a scooter controller.
Wiring them directly to a PW harness will burn them up almost instantly because of the amount of amps these little motors draw.

Lifted Metal Frame JeepPower Drivers Trike
Bigfoot
Worksite Gator
Driveway Racer
Handy Manny 6v quad
Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  13:57:01  Show Profile
quote:

$23.95

Sort of. The pedal by itself is useless. It's designed to work with a scooter controller that actually handles the power to the motors. It's no different than a twist throttle. It's basically a different kind of potentiometer that sends the throttle signal to the controller.

------------------------------------------------
Screamin Demon (600 watt scooter motor, 36v scooter controller)
Red Harley (trike, 24v scooter controller, 13t MFJ gearboxes/motors)
KFX Quad (24v scooter controller, MFJ 12t gearboxes/motors)
Fire Rescue Jeep (24v scooter controller, 15t #7 gearboxes/motors)
Franken(berry)beast (24v scooter controller, 2-250Watt Scooter motors)
Grave Digger (21T gearboxes)
Super Shock
Razor MX-350 Motorcycle

Projects
--------
Jeep Wrangler (on hold)
Barbie Cruzin Tunes Jeep (24v scooter controller)
TCV Indy Racer (24v scooter controller)
Gator (on hold)
Silverado Dragster (on hold)
Apache (on hold)
Metal big wheel (24v scooter controller)
Jeep Aftershock
Go to Top of Page

Ryum

32 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  14:09:47  Show Profile
If there is one, what would be the alternative to the scooter pedal that would work with a power wheel?
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  15:16:45  Show Profile
quote:

$23.95

That's exactly the one TNC Scooters was selling for $12. Makes me wish I'd bought more than one at the time!

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

Ryum

32 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  15:27:48  Show Profile
I am confused, you can use that pedal on power wheels?
Or you can only use that pedal for scooters?
Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  15:31:28  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
quote:

I am confused, you can use that pedal on power wheels?
Or you can only use that pedal for scooters?

It must be used with a scooter controller. I don't believe there is a hall effect throttle that can be directly connected to the stock Power Wheels wiring and still function properly.

Chris Hozian

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness." ~The New Era, August 1989, pages 4-5.

12V PW Lightning McQueen @ 18V :: 12V PW Red Harley-Davidson Motorcycle @ 18V :: 12V Peg Jeep Apache @ 18V :: Super 6 PW CAT Tough Loader @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Firerock Jeep Wrangler @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Ford F-150 @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Get Set Go-Kart @ 12V :: 6V Rand Spider-Man Lil Quad @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Lil Quad (Sold) :: 12V Dumar Yamaha Raptor 660R Quad :: Super 6 PW Barbie Trail Rider Quad :: 12V Yellow Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V Green Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V PW Classic Chrome Harley-Davidson Motorcycle (Sold) :: 12V Little Tikes Hummer H2 (Sold) :: 12V PW Ford Mustang :: 12V PW Chevy Silverado 1500 (Traded) :: 12V PW Barbie Cruisin' Tunes Jeep :: 6V PW Barbie Blitz Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep :: 6V PW Hot Wheels Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep (Sold)
Go to Top of Page

Ryum

32 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  15:45:26  Show Profile
I think we're getting lost in the terminology

in a line is this possible

TNC "hall effect" pedal -> insert wire -> insert name of something I don't know -> insert another thing I don't know -> plugged/wired in such a way it controls the throttle of a super6 power wheel

Not sure how else to ask the question
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  16:06:40  Show Profile
quote:

I think we're getting lost in the terminology

in a line is this possible

TNC "hall effect" pedal -> insert wire -> insert name of something I don't know -> insert another thing I don't know -> plugged/wired in such a way it controls the throttle of a super6 power wheel

Not sure how else to ask the question

First, yes.

The "scooter controller" is a generic name for a device that delivers a variable amount of power to the motors.

A scooter controller needs some kind of a signal to know if it's full throttle, half throttle, or none. Most scooters have a twist grip or a thumb throttle on the handlebars.

Or a foot throttle.

Only about 5 volts go through the throttle - less than 1/100 of a watt total power.

The controller takes that info and sends the right amount of power out to the motors.

(I'm over-simplifying this for the discussion - more info is here if you want to know how it all works inside the box)

Now, the problems:

• 24v controllers are pretty affordable - 12v and 18v ones aren't

• 24v can melt your motors faster - especially Super6 motors

• 24v is fast

That said, I'm using one in my Grape Gaucho, and I have the feeling I'm going to be adding it to all the full-size ones I keep.

Here's a quick layout for the wiring, just to give you an idea of what it looks like:

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

Ryum

32 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  16:40:51  Show Profile
Thank you for the detailed reply, I'll keep this throttle idea in mind if I ever get to the point I wanted to go from dual 6 volt to 24 volt which isn't likely to happen anytime soon. I have not even got to adding another 6 volt yet.

Just out of curiosity but if you were to go up beyond 12v in a super6... wouldn't you need to go ahead and replace the wiring and motor, and possibly more?

In general it would be another power wheel just the same plastic frame?
Go to Top of Page

Lightning

7 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  20:40:11  Show Profile
Yea I am building my Helloy Kitty C5R (Safety First Corvette) for my daughter, but when I went to purchase this pedal they are all sold out everywhere I look.. Even the Electric Scooter place mentioned earlier. I am using two scooter controllers linked in parallel.

So if I can't find one I will have to build one. So to make life easier I found the post earlier on the site that took one apart and found that it just used a 5K pot. I found one that seems to be even better for our application than the one at TNC.

http://www.newark.com/bi-technologies-tt-electronics/404r5kl1-0/pot-lin-motion-5kohm-10-250mw/dp/15M2437

Go to Top of Page

kidsonroll

Phoenix
AZ
USA

4 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  04:04:32  Show Profile  Visit kidsonroll's Homepage
Great site... i was looking out for a throttle for a pedal car for my son i hope that this works... the car is great but only thing was i did is purchase a pedal car ( http://kidsonroll.com/ ) but thats a lot this forum helped me

Tony Turner :)
Go to Top of Page

colinandmylesmom
Senior Modder

USA

2351 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  21:38:40  Show Profile
How easy are these pedals to install, we have the 24V controller on our SP Gaucho 24V, and I want to swap out our stock pedal for this Hall effect, to see if it makes our vehicle run better, since right now it doesn't seem to get enough power to the motors, which some think may be because the stock 24V gaucho pedal doesn't relay the info right?

Hoping this would make it work better.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: