These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Speed
 Traction problem
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

way7837

Fairfield
CA
USA

14 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2010 :  13:42:20  Show Profile
I just picked up a used Nascar 12v Tony Stewart. It's bone stock and my son is having traction problems because of our terrain. My driveway has an uphill incline and the court we live in also has a slight incline. The stock Nascar tire does seem a bit worn from the previous owner, but it doesn't look too bad. Can someone give me a recommendation for traction? Should I get new stock tires?

Regards,
Waylon

Ryum

32 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  19:22:20  Show Profile
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-install-traction-bands-onto-power-wheels-tires-264365/

is a how to I found on this subject on adding traction to a power wheel. The reason I was looking into traction for a power wheel is most of the videos I have seen where someone increases the speed by changing the battery seem to really increase the spinout, but the acceleration seems to suffer, and the tires seem to take more damage from fishtailing, and drift turns.

I saw one video where they increased a lightning mcqueen car to 21 volts and it looked like you had to give the car a push for it to actually start going forward.

What I don't know is if the "grab" of these bands would damage the motor... since it is basically on or off the added traction could be pretty bad for it. If there was a way to more slowly speed up to top speed that is where these bands would probably help the most, and have less possibility to cause harm.

Hopefully someone here with some experience on this will give their experience on this issue as I am just guessing.
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  20:31:58  Show Profile
Traction dosen't hurt the motor it hurts the gearboxes. The spining out is actually saving them from the harsh pounding of locking up as soon as the kit kid hits the pedal. Best solution teach kids to start out in low then shift to high once rolling.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

Ryum

32 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  23:40:56  Show Profile
That might work for way's but mine doesn't have a "low gear"
Go to Top of Page

way7837

Fairfield
CA
USA

14 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  10:00:25  Show Profile
I need to find a solution. Our streets right outside my house has a slope. My son is riding a stock 12v Nascar. It won't even go uphill. The tires just keep on spinning. I can't upgrade it to 18v, it will make the matter worst. Any other ideas?
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  10:23:02  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by way7837

I need to find a solution. Our streets right outside my house has a slope. My son is riding a stock 12v Nascar. It won't even go uphill. The tires just keep on spinning. I can't upgrade it to 18v, it will make the matter worst. Any other ideas?

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/page.aspx?pageid=TractionBands

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado
Polaris 2X ; Polaris 700; Xtreme Machine ; 12v Super 6 Firerock
Gaucho Grande; Tinkerbell Ninja; 12v S6 Trail Rider; Brute Force 24v
Go to Top of Page

Ryum

32 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  00:45:34  Show Profile
Are any of these the kind of gearbox that a super6 uses?
http://mltoyz.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_8&zenid=pljs7mbhorv2a5arcqnc4gnup5

and if not can anyone link a place that sells the right ones? If the gearboxes are really around 13 bucks I might just order a used one and use it with some traction bands and see how it goes then if it does noticeable damage too soon then will scrap the traction band idea, but if it's more than a couple of months that seems like a decent cost for the traction.

All of this is dependent on how much spin out I see when I do go from 6v to dual 6v or 12v, but I'd like to be prepared since seeing those youtube videos of the lightning mcqueen that needed a push to get going cause it was spinning out so much.
Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  07:53:14  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ryum

If the gearboxes are really around 13 bucks I might just order a used one and use it with some traction bands and see how it goes then if it does noticeable damage too soon then will scrap the traction band idea, but if it's more than a couple of months that seems like a decent cost for the traction.

All of this is dependent on how much spin out I see when I do go from 6v to dual 6v or 12v, but I'd like to be prepared since seeing those youtube videos of the lightning mcqueen that needed a push to get going cause it was spinning out so much.

I think going that route is your best bet. I believe that vehicle uses the same wheels as the Lightning McQueen. Unfortunately, even brand new Lightning McQueen wheels have very poor traction. You pretty much have to put traction bands on them if you want to stop/reduce the peel outs.

Chris Hozian

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness." ~The New Era, August 1989, pages 4-5.

12V PW Lightning McQueen @ 18V :: 12V PW Red Harley-Davidson Motorcycle @ 18V :: 12V Peg Jeep Apache @ 18V :: Super 6 PW CAT Tough Loader @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Firerock Jeep Wrangler @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Ford F-150 @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Get Set Go-Kart @ 12V :: 6V Rand Spider-Man Lil Quad @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Lil Quad (Sold) :: 12V Dumar Yamaha Raptor 660R Quad :: Super 6 PW Barbie Trail Rider Quad :: 12V Yellow Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V Green Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V PW Classic Chrome Harley-Davidson Motorcycle (Sold) :: 12V Little Tikes Hummer H2 (Sold) :: 12V PW Ford Mustang :: 12V PW Chevy Silverado 1500 (Traded) :: 12V PW Barbie Cruisin' Tunes Jeep :: 6V PW Barbie Blitz Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep :: 6V PW Hot Wheels Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep (Sold)
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  09:57:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ryum

Are any of these the kind of gearbox that a super6 uses?
http://mltoyz.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_8&zenid=pljs7mbhorv2a5arcqnc4gnup5

and if not can anyone link a place that sells the right ones? If the gearboxes are really around 13 bucks I might just order a used one and use it with some traction bands and see how it goes then if it does noticeable damage too soon then will scrap the traction band idea, but if it's more than a couple of months that seems like a decent cost for the traction.

You'll have to open it up and look - the Lightning McQueen had 19T #7 gearboxes stock, both 12v and Super6.
Not sure on the Nascar, I didn't have one, but it's the same basic body and wheels, so it's likely the same gearboxes.

Fortunately, 19T's are common (they're in the non-lifted unibody Jeeps)

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

bader

furulund

Sweden

36 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  15:19:43  Show Profile
To ease the transmission and make the ride more realistic, upgrade to scooter controllers. Well worth your time.
Tractionbands are not a bad idea in combination with scooter controllers. No wheelspinning.

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20528
Go to Top of Page

bader

furulund

Sweden

36 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  12:42:35  Show Profile

With 50% tractionband. Right wheel slightly spinning.

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20528
Go to Top of Page

lawfirmgwc

Hewitt
TX
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  15:29:42  Show Profile  Visit lawfirmgwc's Homepage
Has anyone tried using a cut up soaker hose as a way for extra traction? I was thinking that since soaker hoses are often made from recycled vehicle tires they might be an excellent way to get Power Wheel traction for cheap. I was thinking you could cut the hose, then wrap the tire and secure it to the tire using RTV silicone and perhaps some screws or rivets.
Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  16:35:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lawfirmgwc

Has anyone tried using a cut up soaker hose as a way for extra traction? I was thinking that since soaker hoses are often made from recycled vehicle tires they might be an excellent way to get Power Wheel traction for cheap. I was thinking you could cut the hose, then wrap the tire and secure it to the tire using RTV silicone and perhaps some screws or rivets.

I've never heard of anybody trying that, but it sounds like a good idea! I'm sure plenty of us have soaker hoses that spray us when we turn the water on , and having a fairly thin contact patch may not slow the wheels down as much on hard surfaces as the wider ones...?

(pics link to threads)

Fast, Reliable, and Cheap... Pick any two.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: