These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 chozian's 12V PW Red Harley-Davidson Project
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  12:49:58  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
I got a 12V Power Wheels Harley-Davidson Motorcycle with 2 dead 6V batteries from a local craigslister for $10 yesterday. In my opinion, it is in really great shape, especially considering it was only $10. I would like to convert this one to use a single 12V battery instead of 2 6V batteries. I don't really care about bumping this up to 18V. Like BonnerBB, I think this is going to be one that I ride (http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6001) .

This isn't the best picture for showing off the bike, but it's the only one I have at the time. I'll post more as soon as I get a chance.

I've obtained a number of other ride on vehicles that I haven't posted yet. I plan on doing that as soon as I get a chance as well.

Chris Hozian

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness." ~The New Era, August 1989, pages 4-5.

12V PW Lightning McQueen @ 18V :: 12V PW Red Harley-Davidson Motorcycle @ 18V :: 12V Peg Jeep Apache @ 18V :: Super 6 PW CAT Tough Loader @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Firerock Jeep Wrangler @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Ford F-150 @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Get Set Go-Kart @ 12V :: 6V Rand Spider-Man Lil Quad @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Lil Quad (Sold) :: 12V Dumar Yamaha Raptor 660R Quad :: Super 6 PW Barbie Trail Rider Quad :: 12V Yellow Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V Green Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V PW Classic Chrome Harley-Davidson Motorcycle (Sold) :: 12V Little Tikes Hummer H2 (Sold) :: 12V PW Ford Mustang :: 12V PW Chevy Silverado 1500 (Traded) :: 12V PW Barbie Cruisin' Tunes Jeep :: 6V PW Barbie Blitz Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep :: 6V PW Hot Wheels Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep (Sold)

Edited by - chozian on 08/21/2010 12:14:15

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  12:34:46  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage

Here are more pictures that I took earlier today.

Chris Hozian

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness." ~The New Era, August 1989, pages 4-5.

12V PW Lightning McQueen @ 18V :: 12V PW Red Harley-Davidson Motorcycle @ 18V :: 12V Peg Jeep Apache @ 18V :: Super 6 PW CAT Tough Loader @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Firerock Jeep Wrangler @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Ford F-150 @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Get Set Go-Kart @ 12V :: 6V Rand Spider-Man Lil Quad @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Lil Quad (Sold) :: 12V Dumar Yamaha Raptor 660R Quad :: Super 6 PW Barbie Trail Rider Quad :: 12V Yellow Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V Green Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V PW Classic Chrome Harley-Davidson Motorcycle (Sold) :: 12V Little Tikes Hummer H2 (Sold) :: 12V PW Ford Mustang :: 12V PW Chevy Silverado 1500 (Traded) :: 12V PW Barbie Cruisin' Tunes Jeep :: 6V PW Barbie Blitz Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep :: 6V PW Hot Wheels Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep (Sold)
Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  15:08:10  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage

My son and I drove our hogs around the neighborhood today. I drove the red Harley and he drove the classic chrome Harley. Our route was about 1 mile in length. We both had tons of fun. It was great! Everyone was laughing, smiling, and waving at us. There was an older man in a vehicle who couldn't stop staring at us, even after he turned the corner. My son was waving back at everyone. I wish I had video footage of our ride, but my wife did not feel like coming out in the heat. I shouldn't have been outside myself because I have pink eye (first time, got it from my daughter). I just don't like being couped up in the house, even if I'm sick. There are a few things that I determined on this ride.

1. I'm glad I disconnected the orange wire for braking on mine. It seemed to be a lot easier on the gearboxes when I stopped compared to the other day when I tested it with braking enabled.

2. BonnerBB is right about the Harleys handling adults just fine. I'm weighing in at around 210 lbs these days. The Harley runs a bit slower with me on it compared to when my son is on it, but not by much. You definitely want to stay on hard surfaces though.

3. I now have a good reason to lose some weight. I want my Harley to go faster when I'm on it!

4. I'm definitely going to upgrade the red one (my personal ride) to 18V. I'm craving for some more speed now!

5. The batteries drain much faster with my fat butt on it compared to my son. He was using a fully charged PW 12V 9.5Ah battery. I was using a fully charged Leoch 12V 12Ah battery. After our ride of equal distances, his battery was reporting 12.56V and mine was reporting 12.06V.

6. People love seeing other people, including adults, on ride on vehicles. They were cracking up about it.

Chris Hozian

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  17:15:30  Show Profile
LOL...thats funny.

I see I'm not the only one that does silly stuff with my kids.

Today we played "crashin'cars" My son used his old cozy coupe, my daughter has the pink one (forget what it's called), and I have a cozy coupe copy that the roof flips up on. My head and shoulders stick up above the car. We had a pretend demolition derby on the driveway. The kids love it since we saw the real ones at the fair. Infact, that was the most fun I've had in a long time. The problem is my lips are still numb from making all those car noises!

The old lady across the street didn't know what to think!

Drive it like you stole it!........out of somebody's garbage!
Go to Top of Page

AUSSIE DARREN
Journeyman Modder

BRISBANE
QLD
Australia

374 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  17:17:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Taz11

LOL...thats funny.

I see I'm not the only one that does silly stuff with my kids.

Today we played "crashin'cars" My son used his old cozy coupe, my daughter has the pink one (forget what it's called), and I have a cozy coupe copy that the roof flips up on. My head and shoulders stick up above the car. We had a pretend demolition derby on the driveway. The kids love it since we saw the real ones at the fair. Infact, that was the most fun I've had in a long time. The problem is my lips are still numb from making all those car noises!

The old lady across the street didn't know what to think!

what a cool Dad

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  19:16:44  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage

I upgraded this motorcycle to 18V today. It is great and hauls me nice and fast with no apparent problem. I placed a 6V 12Ah battery in one of the saddlebags and a 12V 12Ah in the stock battery location under the seat. I disconnected the negative wire on the high/low switch that goes to the 12V battery. This prevents the 6V and 12V from being put in parallel, which would be a bad thing. I used the information and diagrams in the definitive wiring diagram thread for help. Thanks to everyone who contributed to that! So, I get 12V in low and 18V on high. I was going to take the easier route and have only 18V in low gear and no functionality in high, but I'm glad I took this path. I like starting out in low, then switching to high to build up speed. This will be less wear on the gearboxes. Also, I really need to drop it in low when taking turns. Otherwise, there is the potential for me to fall over. My son already flipped it once on 18V. After that, he learned to listen to me. Thankfully, he was not hurt at all. I can't believe how fun these things are!

Chris Hozian

Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  10:37:19  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage

PW Red Harley-Davidson Motorcycle - 12V to 18V Upgrade - "First Run" - by Chris Hozian - 2010/08/23

Chris Hozian

Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  09:01:01  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage

I'm considering an upgrade to HPI GT 550 motors on this vehicle. What are the details for the pinions that I will need in order to accomplish this? Is the pinion held in place with a set screw? If so, what color Loctite do you recommend I use on the set screw? Thanks in advance!

Chris Hozian

Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  16:17:41  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
All new posts for this project will be made on http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=145.

Chris Hozian

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: